TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #1861
roothack

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaddeeds View Post
I have both a Series 3 and TiVo HD in Fairfax. Call back and tell them you have a TiVo and need a Cable Card installation.
I got it straightened out. Cox refused to rent me out an M-card despite the fact that the box I had from them had one installed, so the tech showed up with two S-cards, install was painless and I got to watch the football game.
roothack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #1862
JessLC

Does anyone have any experience with this in Connecticut? We are considering upgrading to the new HD Tivo (currently have a Series 2), and I'm confused about our options from Cox. We currently have "regular" expanded cable (not digital) but we do get some HD channels on our HD TV (they are the channels with "-") - TBS, ABC, NBC, CBS and a couple others. Will Tivo be able to record those HD channels if we stick with the cable package we have?

If we upgrade to get the HD versions of the other cable channels, will we first have to pay the ~$63/month for digital cable, and then a cable card fee on top of that? Is there any package that would allow us to stick with regular cable, but just add on the HD versions of the channels we already get? Does anyone know if Cox in CT has the "M" cards, or would we have to pay for two regular cards?

Sorry, I know these are questions Cox should answer, but they aren't answering them for me because I don't think they understand Tivo and/or don't want to deal with it. They keep trying to push their DVR on me.

Thanks.
JessLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #1863
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLC View Post
Does anyone have any experience with this in Connecticut? We are considering upgrading to the new HD Tivo (currently have a Series 2), and I'm confused about our options from Cox. We currently have "regular" expanded cable (not digital) but we do get some HD channels on our HD TV (they are the channels with "-") - TBS, ABC, NBC, CBS and a couple others. Will Tivo be able to record those HD channels if we stick with the cable package we have?

If we upgrade to get the HD versions of the other cable channels, will we first have to pay the ~$63/month for digital cable, and then a cable card fee on top of that? Is there any package that would allow us to stick with regular cable, but just add on the HD versions of the channels we already get? Does anyone know if Cox in CT has the "M" cards, or would we have to pay for two regular cards?

Sorry, I know these are questions Cox should answer, but they aren't answering them for me because I don't think they understand Tivo and/or don't want to deal with it. They keep trying to push their DVR on me.

Thanks.
You really need to talk to your local Cox provider. As I understand it, you need digital cable in order to HD versions of channels. The best way to deal with this is to print out the PDF file of the TiVo HD manual and take it to the Cox office.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #1864
linkja35

Just got off the phone with Cox in Cleveland. They just told me that every time the power goes out, they would have to send someone out to re-activate the CableCARDs. Does anyone have any experience with this? Not that our power goes out all that much, but $30 each time it did (plus the aggravation of having to wait for a day or more for an appointment simply to re-activate) doesn't seem worth it.

I just received my TiVoHD yesterday and I'm already thinking of returning it without even getting it set up based on (what appears to be) numerous issues with the CableCARDs and lack of knowledge on the cable company side. Am I just overreacting? Is it worth the trouble - once everything is up and running, are there a lot of issues? I love my TiVo Series 2 (it's so stable and without ANY issues) and I bought the HD without reading up on it much before hand, just assuming that it would be the same user experience, just with the added benefit of HD programming.
linkja35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #1865
deaddeeds
Go Hokies

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkja35 View Post
Just got off the phone with Cox in Cleveland. They just told me that every time the power goes out, they would have to send someone out to re-activate the CableCARDs. Does anyone have any experience with this? Not that our power goes out all that much, but $30 each time it did (plus the aggravation of having to wait for a day or more for an appointment simply to re-activate) doesn't seem worth it.

I just received my TiVoHD yesterday and I'm already thinking of returning it without even getting it set up based on (what appears to be) numerous issues with the CableCARDs and lack of knowledge on the cable company side. Am I just overreacting? Is it worth the trouble - once everything is up and running, are there a lot of issues? I love my TiVo Series 2 (it's so stable and without ANY issues) and I bought the HD without reading up on it much before hand, just assuming that it would be the same user experience, just with the added benefit of HD programming.
In Fairfax, VA. I have lost power on several occasions and everything booted back up just fine. In the rare case that the Cable Card loses its activation status Cox can re-activate it over the phone.
deaddeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #1866
linkja35

Quote:
In Fairfax, VA. I have lost power on several occasions and everything booted back up just fine. In the rare case that the Cable Card loses its activation status Cox can re-activate it over the phone.
That makes me feel a little better. His other option was to offer me to pay $4.95 a month as 'insurance' and by paying this amount, it would allow me to have them come out as often as necessary to fix my CableCARD issues without any further one-time per-service-call charges.

Still looking for feedback about how happy or unhappy Cox customers are with their TiVoHDs after all the initial kinks are worked out. Thanks in advance to any of you who do respond!
linkja35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #1867
av_dude

Quote:
That makes me feel a little better. His other option was to offer me to pay $4.95 a month as 'insurance' and by paying this amount, it would allow me to have them come out as often as necessary to fix my CableCARD issues without any further one-time per-service-call charges.

Still looking for feedback about how happy or unhappy Cox customers are with their TiVoHDs after all the initial kinks are worked out. Thanks in advance to any of you who do respond!
Other than waiting forever for the tuning adapters, things are working completely seemlessly for me (Cox - Orange County, CA).
av_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #1868
Johncv

Quote:

The insurance here in San Diego is $2.95, even $4.95 it worth it. Keep in mind it cover anything that go wrong with your service. Had my outside line replace twice due to cracks in the line.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:35 AM   #1869
deaddeeds
Go Hokies

Quote:

With the roll out of the Tuning Adapter and now subsequent firmware patches, things have settled down. But if I could switch to FIOS I would in a heartbeat.
deaddeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #1870
travellover
travellover

it took a while and i learned how to install and re pair (not fix but match cards with unit and cox) cable cards better than cox techs in many cases, I hve to give Cox head cable card GURU larry thomas tons of credit. he is not just the GURU but a heck of a great guy who really cares about his job and did great things for me. now i have had no issues for a log time. it's just a matter of getting the right person with the right cards. for some reason not all cable cards work, they had to try multiple cards but in the end i love my tivo. now if i could just get it to download you tube it would be even better. it recently stopped doing the you tube for no know reason. some vids work but overall 99.9% don't

what a headache this causes !!

Last edited by travellover : 10-17-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: forgot one thing.
travellover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #1871
tivocrazy

Quote:
With the roll out of the Tuning Adapter and now subsequent firmware patches, things have settled down. But if I could switch to FIOS I would in a heartbeat.
The last MAJOR update that Tivo rolled out was to fix a hugh issue that Tivo was having primarily with FIOS users. Programs were tilling so much that they became almost impossible to watch and this had gone on for at least a year. I don't know why we were also experiencing the same issue but on a smaller scale in our area using Cox but it was annoying and Cox had no answers for me. If it was not for the FIOS people across the nation screaming Tivo would probably still be trying to figure out how to fix the hot signal issue. I am just grateful that they finally have. So if you had switched to FIOS 8 months ago you would have regretted it. And yes, GO HOKIES!
tivocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #1872
NuShrike

So does anybody know if Cox in OC/Irvine is renting M-cards for the TivoHD yet?

From reading the threads I'm getting the impression there's a large disconnect between CS reps and techs in the field where sometimes there are M-cards out there and sometimes not.

The only communication I've had with Cox so far says they don't have M-cards, but I find that hard to believe.

I'm not looking forward to tussling with them about this. Currently, I get clearQAM channels fine, but no guide data which reads that I need the cablecard for ...
NuShrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #1873
av_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuShrike View Post

From reading the threads I'm getting the impression there's a large disconnect between CS reps and techs in the field where sometimes there are M-cards out there and sometimes not.

The only communication I've had with Cox so far says they don't have M-cards, but I find that hard to believe.

I'm not looking forward to tussling with them about this. Currently, I get clearQAM channels fine, but no guide data which reads that I need the cablecard for ...
The CS reps are clueless. I've been using my TiVo HD with an M-CARD for a few months. I believe they've had them for quite a few months.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #1874
CALover

Quote:

I've had a Cox M card for almost a year and I live in Tustin. It works great, but if you're getting HD, you won't get :

717 FXHD
732 SCIHD
748 BETHD
749 MTVPHD
750 VH1PHD
752 SpikeHD
753 TravHD
759CMTHD
760 ComedyHD
770 Nickledeon HD
771 ToonHD
772 AnimalPlanet HD

because they don't offer tuning adapters. I have contacted Cox customer service a couple of times about this, but all they say is I need to get their cable box if I want all the channels. I just filed a complaint with the FCC about it.

Hope this helped!
CALover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #1875
tivocrazy

Wow, this is amazing how they treat you differently in different parts of the country. While I don't have an M card (I gave up on it due to a copy prevention bit being set which prevented me from transferring content to my other Tivo) so I have S cards. But, Cox does not limit my HD in any way so I am surprised they do out on the west coast. I would ask for a supervisor because out here Cox advertizes that HD is free with digital cable.
tivocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:59 PM   #1876
av_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivocrazy View Post
Wow, this is amazing how they treat you differently in different parts of the country. While I don't have an M card (I gave up on it due to a copy prevention bit being set which prevented me from transferring content to my other Tivo) so I have S cards. But, Cox does not limit my HD in any way so I am surprised they do out on the west coast. I would ask for a supervisor because out here Cox advertizes that HD is free with digital cable.
The reason for not getting those channels CALover listed is that they are SDV channels. The tuning adapters were due to already be out, but they've delayed it again. The consensus appears to be that they will have the tuning adapters available by Dec. 31st of this year. Let's hope so.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:53 AM   #1877
jcaudle

Tuning adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by av_dude View Post
The reason for not getting those channels CALover listed is that they are SDV channels. The tuning adapters were due to already be out, but they've delayed it again. The consensus appears to be that they will have the tuning adapters available by Dec. 31st of this year. Let's hope so.
We have had the tuning adapters for almost a year here in Northern Virginia with Cox. Our Fios friends don't have the CCI flags. The tuning adapters are cranky. Mine (2 of them) were pretty solid for the first six months, but since June I have traded them in 2 or 3 times each. And it only been one of them crapping out at a time fortunately. I am lucky since I don't live but 2 miles from the Cox store.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:57 AM   #1878
av_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudle View Post
We have had the tuning adapters for almost a year here in Northern Virginia with Cox. Our Fios friends don't have the CCI flags. The tuning adapters are cranky. Mine (2 of them) were pretty solid for the first six months, but since June I have traded them in 2 or 3 times each. And it only been one of them crapping out at a time fortunately. I am lucky since I don't live but 2 miles from the Cox store.
In case it wasn't inferred, I was speaking of Orange Country, CA. That doesn't sound good about the tuning adapters, though.

Anyone else having issues with Cox and tuning adapters?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #1879
oscardeuce

I'm with Cox in Southern Claifornia (Palos Verdes), and I just got a letter yesterday that they are putting almost every channel except for the major the HD channels on SDV as of November 20th. No tuning adapters available at this time, and they're saying "maybe" they'll be out by the end of the year. They're offering a free STB (not a DVR) for 3 months as consolation.
oscardeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #1880
NuShrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALover View Post
I've had a Cox M card for almost a year and I live in Tustin. It works great, but if you're getting HD, you won't get :

732 SCIHD
753 TravHD
760 ComedyHD
771 ToonHD

Hope this helped!
This takes away any reason for me to step up to HD. Thanks for the help.

Filing with FCC too then ...
NuShrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #1881
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscardeuce View Post
I'm with Cox in Southern Claifornia (Palos Verdes), and I just got a letter yesterday that they are putting almost every channel except for the major the HD channels on SDV as of November 20th. No tuning adapters available at this time, and they're saying "maybe" they'll be out by the end of the year. They're offering a free STB (not a DVR) for 3 months as consolation.
We received the same in Orange County. The analog channels are staying put, but most of the 100-series channels will be on SDV. So no BBCA, Bio, HISI, the additional Discovery-owned channels, etc. Very irritating, but at the end of the day, most of what I watch is in HD anyway. I just hope they get the tuning adapters squared away soon.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #1882
Islanti

Quote:
In case it wasn't inferred, I was speaking of Orange Country, CA. That doesn't sound good about the tuning adapters, though.

The VA tuning adapters (TAs) are for Motorolla equipment. Here in Orange County we have Cisco gear. The first Cox TAs are just being tested. Fortunately Orange County will be the first market to get them.

More here.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #1883
av_dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanti View Post
The VA tuning adapters (TAs) are for Motorolla equipment. Here in Orange County we have Cisco gear. The first Cox TAs are just being tested. Fortunately Orange County will be the first market to get them.

More here.
Huh, as I look at my Cox, Orange County DVR right now, it is definitely a Moto box. I've been a Cox, OC customer for ten years now and have never seen a Cisco box.

The GADGETRESS even states such in your provided link:

Quote:
I mentioned this Motorola test in early September (see “Cox O.C. will be first to test TiVo adapters from Motorola“). The test was scheduled to start in September but was postponed when Cox rolled out new video-on-demand software instead (see earlier story, “Cox fix for TiVo users delayed“

Old 11-12-2009, 07:22 PM   #1884
LynnL999

I think Islanti got it backwards. OC is definitely Moto gear.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #1885
jcaudle

constant problems with Tuning adapters and now Cable card is out is out. I tell them to bring out a MCard....and the dumb a** tech brings an S card for my Tivo HD...said he forgot to look at it when hep picked it up at warehouse despite note on work order that asked him to make sure he brought one. Cable card was bad. Verizon has been on my street this week laying fiber optic for Fios. No more cox for me soon....Get rid of balky Cisco Tuning adapters and their crappy cable cards....and have Multi Room viewing without CCI flags.

Last edited by jcaudle : 11-16-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: left something out.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #1886
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
We received the same in Orange County. The analog channels are staying put, but most of the 100-series channels will be on SDV. So no BBCA, Bio, HISI, the additional Discovery-owned channels, etc. Very irritating, but at the end of the day, most of what I watch is in HD anyway. I just hope they get the tuning adapters squared away soon.
I too am in Orange County. could you explain a couple of things for me? What is "SDV", and how is it relevant to Cox cable-cards and Tivo HD boxes. Also, I watch BBCA more than any other Cox channel. How will a cable card with a Tivo HD be effected. Does the cable-card / Tivo HD combo reduce the number of HD channels that are available from Cox in comparison to what you receive with one of their DVR's?
Lastly, how many cable cards do you need from Cox, and what is their monthly cost?
Thanks a bunch
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:36 PM   #1887
orgbd

M-Card

Quote:
The CS reps are clueless. I've been using my TiVo HD with an M-CARD for a few months. I believe they've had them for quite a few months.
I live in Irvine, CA and had an M-CARD installed in my TiVo HD last month. Over the phone they claimed that I needed 2 cards becasue they did not offer the M-CARD but the installer showed up with an M-CARD.
orgbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #1888
orgbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I too am in Orange County. could you explain a couple of things for me? What is "SDV", and how is it relevant to Cox cable-cards and Tivo HD boxes. Also, I watch BBCA more than any other Cox channel. How will a cable card with a Tivo HD be effected. Does the cable-card / Tivo HD combo reduce the number of HD channels that are available from Cox in comparison to what you receive with one of their DVR's?
Lastly, how many cable cards do you need from Cox, and what is their monthly cost?
Thanks a bunch
I will post a long thread about this issue on a few minutes answering most of your questions. The cost is minimal at $1.99 per card in Orange County, CA.

Search for "Urgent Issue relating to SDV, Tuning Adapters & TiVo"
Old 11-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #1889
orgbd

Quote:
This takes away any reason for me to step up to HD. Thanks for the help.

Filing with FCC too then ...
Once Tuning Adapters are available all of the potential tuning problems will be solved.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:56 PM   #1890
orgbd

Quote:

Only the availability of them. You can call Cox not and be out on a waiting list.