TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #1801
cliffdwelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanian View Post
I haven't seen this posted, so I don't know if is possible or not.

I have Cox in Phoenix. Would I be able to get a reduced charge (or no charge) if I bring my TiVo into a Cox store to have the CableCards installed? (Actually, I think I heard that Cox Phoenix has the M cards, so I guess it would only be one card.)

I'm guessing it is not possible (since I haven't seen it brought up as a less-costly alternative). But, isn't the pairing of the CC with the TiVo (and not some other device) the reason the cable companies use their own personnel (or their paid contractors) to do the CC install?
No, they won't let you bring it to there store, I tried.
No way as of now to avoid charge, and yes the multi-stream card is what they inserted in Tucson.
cliffdwelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #1802
gsu13

Cox Basic analog cable with S3 HD Tivo?

I have searched the thread but have not seen this answered. I have the very basic analog Cox subscription and Series 1 and 2 Tivos here in Northern VA. I am considering upgrading to a Series 3 HD Tivo, but I am unclear if I can just connect my coax directly into the Tivo and get the HD channels I currently get. I have split my coax into the Tivo 2 and HDTV, so I get several HD channels on the TV (4.1, 7.1, 9.1, 26.1,etc.) that don't show up on the Tivo. Can I get those same channels with the HD Tivo, or will I need a cablecard (or two) and therefore digital cable service? Thanks for your help and expertise!
gsu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:12 PM   #1803
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsu13 View Post
I have searched the thread but have not seen this answered. I have the very basic analog Cox subscription and Series 1 and 2 Tivos here in Northern VA. I am considering upgrading to a Series 3 HD Tivo, but I am unclear if I can just connect my coax directly into the Tivo and get the HD channels I currently get. I have split my coax into the Tivo 2 and HDTV, so I get several HD channels on the TV (4.1, 7.1, 9.1, 26.1,etc.) that don't show up on the Tivo. Can I get those same channels with the HD Tivo, or will I need a cablecard (or two) and therefore digital cable service? Thanks for your help and expertise!
With an HD-Tivo, you can get those channels with your current cable setup, but will probably not have TiVo guide information on them (see the QAM threads) so can only do time-based recording on them. Depending on exactly where you are, it may be reasonable to have an HD-TiVo accept input from both your current very basic subscription, and also an antenna input for OTA HD signals. That's what I would do if I only wanted your current channels, since you'll get TiVo guide info for the OTA channels.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #1804
cliffdwelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsu13 View Post
The answer is yes, but you won't have to split the coax, as the HD-Tivo has a cable input and antennae (OTA) input. When you setup it will search and grab all your cable channels and your OTA channels and Tivo should have info on all the locals.
cliffdwelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #1805
gsu13

Thanks so much for the quick replies, CrispyCritter and Cliffdwelling. I found the posts on the clear QAM issue and that is so disappointing of Tivo. I don't get good OTA so would not want to do cable plus OTA since I think while i would have program info for the HD channels, the Tivo would still try to record off the antenna, and there wouldn't be much of a stable picture. Thanks again - I'll probably look at something else besides Tivo HD
gsu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #1806
juanian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdwelling View Post
No, they won't let you bring it to there store, I tried.
No way as of now to avoid charge, and yes the multi-stream card is what they inserted in Tucson.
Now I'm confused . . .

I just called to get two cablecards added (and to remove the Cox HD DVR). The woman said that they don't have multi-stream cards. She also said that I can go to any Cox store, bring the Cox HD DVR, and they will give me two cablecards.

Is that true -- will they give me two cablecards to install myself, or is she "confused"? (She did say that I would have to call Cox when I installed them to activate them, which is fine.)
Old 06-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #1807
Johncv

Quote:
Now I'm confused . . .

I just called to get two cablecards added (and to remove the Cox HD DVR). The woman said that they don't have multi-stream cards. She also said that I can go to any Cox store, bring the Cox HD DVR, and they will give me two cablecards.

Is that true -- will they give me two cablecards to install myself, or is she "confused"? (She did say that I would have to call Cox when I installed them to activate them, which is fine.)
If that is what she told you, Yes you can install them yourself, just record the card id numbers before you install them. Then you then call Cox and tell them the numbers from the cards which are input into the server. You then go to the cable card setup screen and the cards should pair with the server. If you run into any problem you can call TiVo ask for a three way conference with you, TiVo, and Cox.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #1808
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
If that is what she told you, Yes you can install them yourself, just record the card id numbers before you install them. Then you then call Cox and tell them the numbers from the cards which are input into the server. You then go to the cable card setup screen and the cards should pair with the server. If you run into any problem you can call TiVo ask for a three way conference with you, TiVo, and Cox.
I don't know if it has changed, but here in Phoenix I was told a very similar story 3 years ago when I was trying to get my CableCards.

When I showed up at the retail location and asked for the cards, they had no idea what I was talking about and told me that the CSR was misinformed. Shocking (sarcasm). The cards would require a tech to come to my house and install them for me. Because it takes such a high level of technical ability to push a PCMCIA card into a slot.

And that's what I ended up doing. Three years later, the cards are still working just fine along with the SDV Tuning Adapter (which I was able to pick up at the retail store).

Dennis
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 AM   #1809
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
I don't know if it has changed, but here in Phoenix I was told a very similar story 3 years ago when I was trying to get my CableCards.

When I showed up at the retail location and asked for the cards, they had no idea what I was talking about and told me that the CSR was misinformed. Shocking (sarcasm). The cards would require a tech to come to my house and install them for me. Because it takes such a high level of technical ability to push a PCMCIA card into a slot.

And that's what I ended up doing. Three years later, the cards are still working just fine along with the SDV Tuning Adapter (which I was able to pick up at the retail store).

Dennis
It seem like it done differently depending on where you live. The only way juanian is to find out is to go to the Cox office and ask for one miti-stream card or two single stream cards. I would suggest taking the TiVo manual with you.

HDTiVo
Old 06-28-2009, 02:47 AM   #1810
juanian

Thanks for the info Johncv and Dennis. I had figured that I'd give it a shot (going to the store and trying to get an M-CC, or 2 S-CCs if they didn't have M-CCs). If they told me that they must make a service call to install them, I'd try and asked for a reduced installation charge (for my "inconvenience" of coming to the store myself after I was told I could do it myself); it's worth a try, right!

I'll also bring the TiVo manual -- good suggestion. Just to be on the safe side, I'll also try and be familiar with the potential problems and solutions (just to appear that I know what I'll be doing when I go to install the cards ).

I had been wondering about SDV channels here in Phoenix. Is there any list of what channels are currently SDV here? (I'll assume that they can change which channels are SDV whenever they want as demand varies, so a 'recent' list may be good enough.) Should I just go ahead and get the Tuning Adapter while I'm at it?
Old 06-28-2009, 06:30 PM   #1811
Johncv

Quote:
Thanks for the info Johncv and Dennis. I had figured that I'd give it a shot (going to the store and trying to get an M-CC, or 2 S-CCs if they didn't have M-CCs). If they told me that they must make a service call to install them, I'd try and asked for a reduced installation charge (for my "inconvenience" of coming to the store myself after I was told I could do it myself); it's worth a try, right!

I'll also bring the TiVo manual -- good suggestion. Just to be on the safe side, I'll also try and be familiar with the potential problems and solutions (just to appear that I know what I'll be doing when I go to install the cards ).

I had been wondering about SDV channels here in Phoenix. Is there any list of what channels are currently SDV here? (I'll assume that they can change which channels are SDV whenever they want as demand varies, so a 'recent' list may be good enough.) Should I just go ahead and get the Tuning Adapter while I'm at it?
Oh, you want to make two trips to the Cox office? Yes, ask if they use SDV, if they do, then request a Tuning Adapter.

HDTiVo
Old 07-17-2009, 05:59 PM   #1812
LynnL999

Just wanted to offer a positive word to those who might be considering TiVo and are terrified about the cable card hassle -- I've had two installed in two HD TiVo's in the past 6 weeks. I live in Orange County, CA. The installers were on time (one was even early, they called to make sure it was ok) and the installs were relatively painless. Everything has been working fine since then on both TiVos (knock wood that it continues). Just a positive thought for anyone who might be on the fence.

(We don't have tuning adapters here yet.)
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #1813
cpt09135

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
Just wanted to offer a positive word to those who might be considering TiVo and are terrified about the cable card hassle -- I've had two installed in two HD TiVo's in the past 6 weeks. I live in Orange County, CA. The installers were on time (one was even early, they called to make sure it was ok) and the installs were relatively painless. Everything has been working fine since then on both TiVos (knock wood that it continues). Just a positive thought for anyone who might be on the fence.

That's great to hear. I'm in Orange County also, and I have 3 Cox DVR's, but I'd like to start trying Tivo soon. I assume you don't get 753, Travel HD on the Tivo?
cpt09135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #1814
joycentucson

the tivo hdr finally hit the price i was willing 2 pay for, so here's my experience here in tucson, az.
when my tivo arrived there were detailed instrux 2 cable card installer, which i thought was really great.
sub-contractor came out today (sch was only out a few days), and brought a multi-chnl cablecard & the tuning adapter - instl fee was $29.95, no charge for tuning adapter (i had no idea it would be almost as large as a dvd player, looks ok tho)
the tech had experience with cable cards and had someone who was being trained with him, he really had no problems - it was the office, after a few calls to them, who made the job longer. So, all in all it was a good experience
====the tech never did look at the detailed tivo intrux tho~!====

prev cox phone call experiences:
*first time called (prob 6 mos ago) sales rep gave me such a hard time about doing this, this time around got no flak from rep at all.
*told could pick up box at cox store twice, then when asked to double check this - came back and said no, someone would have to come out.

i believe that since the technology's been around a while cox has played catch-up and i highly recommend this

Last edited by joycentucson : 07-17-2009 at 07:54 PM.
joycentucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #1815
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt09135 View Post
That's great to hear. I'm in Orange County also, and I have 3 Cox DVR's, but I'd like to start trying Tivo soon. I assume you don't get 753, Travel HD on the Tivo?
Correct. You also don't get Science HD, Animal Planet HD, and a handful of non-HD digital channels. It's unknown if the new HD channels we're supposed to get at the end of this month will be switched digital or not.

Hopefully, a functioning tuning adapter will be available soon.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:57 AM   #1816
Johncv

Quote:
Correct. You also don't get Science HD, Animal Planet HD, and a handful of non-HD digital channels. It's unknown if the new HD channels we're supposed to get at the end of this month will be switched digital or not.

Hopefully, a functioning tuning adapter will be available soon.
That strange, here in San Diego we do get Science HD and Animal Planet HD, but Cox San Diego replace every copper wire with fiber optic years ago when they had @Home internet service. Miss it, it was faster then the top service I it get now. And I paid less for it

High Definition
700 HBO HD
701 HBO2 HD
702 ESPN2 HD
703 ESPN HD
704 Channel 4 San Diego HD
705 Fox HD
706 CW HD
707 NBC HD
708 CBS HD
709 KUSI HD
710 ABC HD
711 PBS HD
718 National Geographic HD
719 ABC Family HD
724 Discovery Channel HD
728 USA HD
730 MTV HD
731 CNN HD
732 Palladia
733 TBS HD
734 TNT HD
735 HD Theater
736 TLC HD
737 Fox News HD
738 Lifetime HD
740 Showtime HD
741 A&E HD
742 Bravo HD
743 FX HD
745 Spike HD
746 VH1 HD
747 Nickelodeon HD
748 Comedy Central HD
749 E! HD
750 Cartoon HD
751 Golf HD
752 Disney HD
753 HGTV HD
754 Animal Planet HD
755 History Channel HD
756 Speed HD
757 AMC HD
760 Travel Channel HD
761 CMT HD
762 CNBC HD
763 Syfy HD
765 Universal HD
767 Food Network HD
768 BET HD
770 MLB HD
772 NFL Network HD
773 NHL Network HD
780 Cinemax HD
782 Science Channel HD
783 Planet Green HD
790 Starz HD
796 Game HD (NHL/MLB)
797 Team HD (NBA)
798 Pay-Per-View HD
799 On Demand HD
805 Music Choice HD On Demand
806 FearNet HD On Demand
807 Dew Action Sports HD On Demand
808 Fuse HD On Demand
809 MOJO HD On Demand
810 Sundance HD On Demand
812 Gospel Music HD On Demand
830 MTV HD On Demand
832 Palladia HD On Demand
841 A&E HD On Demand
845 Spike HD On Demand
846 VH1 HD On Demand
855 History Channel HD On Demand
856 Speed HD On Demand
860 Travel Channel HD On Demand
881 MAX HD On Demand
882 SHOW HD On Demand
883 STARZ HD On Demand

HDTiVo
Old 07-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #1817
Johncv

Quote:

Cox San Diego rep knew what he was doing when install the SA m-card, told me he install seven TiVo’s that day. Also, told me that Cox San Diego is just waiting for the day when they can just push the Tivo’s interface and just dump the SA BS that have to deal with about the SA interface.

HDTiVo
Old 07-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #1818
jctivo

Good Bye Cox

Not sure if this is the correct forum.

But I just wanted to say I have ended my relationship with Cox.

The tuner adapter had continuous problems.

The copy-protection flag was not set correctly so I could not transfer shows to my computer that I should have been able to (i.e. non HBO shows).

Within 1 hour of having FIOS, I have transfered shows that I previously could not have with Cox.

Yes, I had contacted Cox several times about these issues but they played the blame game with Tivo.

I tried Cox. I tried.

Tivo Concept is the best thing since: Remote Control, Refrigerator & AC
jctivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #1819
chestnu1

My cable card installation story

I have had my tivo hd for almost a year and I figure that it is time I post the story of how I my cable card install here in Las Vegas went. First let me say that when I called to schedule a cable card install the CSR knew exactly what I was talking about. I asked for a Multi stream cable card (M card) and he knew what it was but he also said that they only use those here in Las Vegas. The only problem was that the soonest I could get someone out was a couple of days later on Friday. So got my tivo opened it up got it set up the day before the cable guy was suppose to come out and the night before it did a software update which is good. I go to school and come home to wait for the cable guy who due to bad traffic was late 15 minutes past the time window when he does show up I guess this was his first so he is on the phone not listening to me I gave him the piece of paper that has the instructions for cable cards on but he doesn't take a second look at it. He is looking around the back he must of thought that it was a series 3. So I tell him that this model loads the cable card in the front and that it only needs one cable card since he had M cards with him. He puts it in there and goes through the steps and the card does its firmware update. And here is where I had problems. This is when I had to leave and go to the doctor for an appointment. so I left the cable guy to do his thing and had my brother and sister supervise. On the way home I call them up and the cable guy had finished and left. But they were unable to go to any of the channels so I had them turn off the tivo think ing maybe they were using SDV (Which they weren't and still aren't) and plug in the cable box.(He also on the receipt for his visit also stated that he was on time) So the next day I am setting up the tivo in my room with my new tv and I hook it all up and I notice that I am not able to tune to any of the digital cable channels so I call up cox tell them about this and they look at every thing then they reset something on there end and all of a sudden it was working with all the channels.

So the moral of this very long story stay for the whole thing and dont let the cable guy leave till you have tested all the channels. But the whole thing went reasonably well and was well worth the trouble.
chestnu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #1820
alansh

Unfortunately, as far as Cox is concerned, the copy-protection flag was set correctly -- they flag everything except broadcast channels. They claim this is because their content providers require it, but of course that's not true -- otherwise, FIOS would have that too. And also unfortunately, they're legally permitted to do this for everything except broadcast channels. I think the only cable channels they aren't flagging are the CSPANs.

I suspect they do it to make the TiVo less competitive with their own DVR.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:16 PM   #1821
tivocrazy

For what its worth, and it may not be worth anything...but here in southeastern virginia I had the same problem. When I reported to Cox that I was not able to transfer content to my computer they suspected the multi cable card in the Tivo. We swapped out the multi for two singles and the problem went away. Cox contacted Motorola (who supplies our cards here) and they were aware of the problem but gave Cox no timetable as to when they would fix it. I don;t care, two singles works for me.
tivocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #1822
jcaudle

Copy protection flags

They only seem to flag most of the HD channels with these Flags. Showtime for some reason isn't flagged here in Northern Va, the rest of the premium HDs are. TNT and other networks that were on HD prior to SDV are not flagged. HGTV is on HD, but not on its analog channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansh View Post
Unfortunately, as far as Cox is concerned, the copy-protection flag was set correctly -- they flag everything except broadcast channels. They claim this is because their content providers require it, but of course that's not true -- otherwise, FIOS would have that too. And also unfortunately, they're legally permitted to do this for everything except broadcast channels. I think the only cable channels they aren't flagging are the CSPANs.

I suspect they do it to make the TiVo less competitive with their own DVR.

jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:36 PM   #1823
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansh View Post
Unfortunately, as far as Cox is concerned, the copy-protection flag was set correctly -- they flag everything except broadcast channels. They claim this is because their content providers require it, but of course that's not true -- otherwise, FIOS would have that too. And also unfortunately, they're legally permitted to do this for everything except broadcast channels.
Interesting... here, they don't flag anything but the premium channels and stuff like Amazon on Demand.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #1824
tivocrazy

Quote:
Interesting... here, they don't flag anything but the premium channels and stuff like Amazon on Demand.
Same Here in Hampton Roads, VA
Old 07-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #1825
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
same here.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #1826
Ink Noise

Purchased my TiVo HD a week ago and set up an appointment to have an M-Card installed since of course there is no self-serve option for this. Cox - Santa Barbara charges $59.99 for the luxury. Fifty. Nine. Ninety. Nine. To slide in a card. And I thought the earlier posters in other markets who were charged $30.00 had it bad.

With Cox Santa Barbara, there is no SDV in place just yet and the SA card works as expected. Nearly all channels save for locals and TBS are copy protected rendering TTG pretty much useless. But it still beats the SA 8300HD DVR by a mile. It's nice to be back with TiVo.
Ink Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #1827
tivocrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Noise View Post
Purchased my TiVo HD a week ago and set up an appointment to have an M-Card installed since of course there is no self-serve option for this. Cox - Santa Barbara charges $59.99 for the luxury. Fifty. Nine. Ninety. Nine. To slide in a card. And I thought the earlier posters in other markets who were charged $30.00 had it bad.

With Cox Santa Barbara, there is no SDV in place just yet and the SA card works as expected. Nearly all channels save for locals and TBS are copy protected rendering TTG pretty much useless. But it still beats the SA 8300HD DVR by a mile. It's nice to be back with TiVo.
Wow..59.99. The installs have gotten expensive. Don't think my install was that much (in the 20's). Do you want to use TTG? Have you checked to see if 2 single cards eliminates they problem because that it is what control it (can't remember the exact bit) but my multi card had the problem but the singles did not.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:59 AM   #1828
joycentucson

After my install here in tucson, 7-17-09, i wasnt getting all my chnls. Seemed to be chnls mostly that are also high-def chnls also, but also a 3 hbo & 5 cinemax. Altogether, tho, i was missing about 25 chnls.

Like stated before, make sure ALL chnls coming in before tech leaves.

I set up a service call and another subcontractor came out. My RF levels were checked first, under TA diagnostics, they were ok. Next DVR diagnostics checked, my TA signal was really bad - jumping between 0-45% - should be above 80% consistantley.

Turned out the previous contractor (the b-team) installed a rinky dink cable jumper from my TA to the tivo, the a-team contractor said it's not the 1st time b-team has caused them probs and took cable for evidence!

Now my TA signal is a solid 93%, so this cautionary tale could apply for someone out there, so i thought i'd put it out there

Regarding previous posts on copyright protected channels, seems like here in arizona they are flagging all chnls cept broadcast, yet back east and irvine, ca only premium chnls & VOD are flagged, hmmm

Thanks to tivocrazy: 7-27 12:16PM

"For what its worth, and it may not be worth anything...but here in southeastern virginia I had the same problem. When I reported to Cox that I was not able to transfer content to my computer they suspected the multi cable card in the Tivo. We swapped out the multi for two singles and the problem went away."

Thank you, that's my next call to cox...then maybe the saga is over...

Last edited by joycentucson : 08-05-2009 at 09:29 AM.
joycentucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:31 AM   #1829
LynnL999

FYI, about half a dozen new HD channels (including FX, Comedy Central, MTV) were made available to Orange County users this week -- but TiVo users are not getting them.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #1830
Kershek

Do tuner adapters allow TiVos to see VOD?
Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote