TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #1771
Sandi

Had a technician here for signal quality problem. When here he ended up having to re-pair the cable cards on one TIVO (other is/was fine) as the analog channels were missing. digital and Premium channels still worked. After he left we realized that HBO was gone. Called today to have them resend the signal which did not fix the problem and they are sending someone out. While the tech was trying to get it to work over the phone he informed me that cable cards would only be around for about another year and the next year the "Cable Cards 2.0" would be out and that nothing that now accepts cable cards will be able to accept the new cards.

Does he actually know what he is talking about, our TIVOs will not be able to accept new cable cards when they are out?

I'm with Cox Omaha.

Thanks

Sandi
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #1772
wierdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
Had a technician here for signal quality problem. When here he ended up having to re-pair the cable cards on one TIVO (other is/was fine) as the analog channels were missing. digital and Premium channels still worked. After he left we realized that HBO was gone. Called today to have them resend the signal which did not fix the problem and they are sending someone out. While the tech was trying to get it to work over the phone he informed me that cable cards would only be around for about another year and the next year the "Cable Cards 2.0" would be out and that nothing that now accepts cable cards will be able to accept the new cards.

Does he actually know what he is talking about, our TIVOs will not be able to accept new cable cards when they are out?

I'm with Cox Omaha.

Thanks

Sandi
He doesn't know what he's talking about. It may be that Cox Omaha will be rolling out M-Cards (they don't have them in Tulsa), but that won't make your old cards stop working, it'll just give you the option of using only one card in a TiVo HD.
wierdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #1773
cliffdwelling

Cox Cable Card Tucson

I am having a huge problem with Cox Cable in Tucson. They canceled a third time on me today. Yeah, that's right, three times I have made an appointment to install cable cards and they have an excuse everytime on why they can't get to me. I don't know what to do anymore.

The first scheduled time they called after I had waited 2:45 minutes and said the tech didn't have the right card on the truck and needed to reschedule for the following day. The next day I waited an hour and called to make sure they were coming and they said that they did not have me scheduled. Today they didn't show and when I called after the two hour wait and asked why they couldn't make it, and the guy said they had tried to call( was home the whole time) and didn't get an answer so they canceled. I asked why they didn't just show up, they replied they didn't know if I had a Tivo or a TV that needed a cable card, and that they did not have a tuning adapter on truck.

I believe they are making excuses for some reason, and I can't figure out what the problem is and they won't give me a straight answer. What can I do? Help!!
cliffdwelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #1774
jcaudle

Service appointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdwelling View Post
I am having a huge problem with Cox Cable in Tucson. They canceled a third time on me today. Yeah, that's right, three times I have made an appointment to install cable cards and they have an excuse everytime on why they can't get to me. I don't know what to do anymore.

The first scheduled time they called after I had waited 2:45 minutes and said the tech didn't have the right card on the truck and needed to reschedule for the following day. The next day I waited an hour and called to make sure they were coming and they said that they did not have me scheduled. Today they didn't show and when I called after the two hour wait and asked why they couldn't make it, and the guy said they had tried to call( was home the whole time) and didn't get an answer so they canceled. I asked why they didn't just show up, they replied they didn't know if I had a Tivo or a TV that needed a cable card, and that they did not have a tuning adapter on truck.

I believe they are making excuses for some reason, and I can't figure out what the problem is and they won't give me a straight answer. What can I do? Help!!
If they cancel, you can get them for a $20 service credit on each canceled visit....call customer service.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:02 AM   #1775
drey

Quote:

I'm in Tucson too. Cox uses contractors to install TiVo cards, most of those contractors have no idea what TiVo is. Ask for a phone number of the guy who will be coming and talk to him or his supervisor directly.

Also, as other posted suggested, deman Cox to issue you a credit for their cancellation.

-- Andrey
drey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:42 AM   #1776
cliffdwelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudle View Post
If they cancel, you can get them for a $20 service credit on each canceled visit....call customer service.
Yes, I had requested the credit and they have said it is pending.Thanks

But today (Sunday) they called out of the blue and showed up around three to install 2 Scientific Atlanta cards into two separate HD tivos. No problem with the cards, but when I asked the guy if I needed a tuning adapter for the SDV-he said he didn't know what I was talking about.
I really did not pursue it except explain what I knew about SDV and that it was being used in Phoenix and believed it was deployed in Tucson. He then acknowleged that he did know what I was talking about but didn't seem to want to go any further in the discussion. I dont know if it was because he didn't want to seem uneducated or the fact that he said at first -"He didn't know what I was talking about".
I still am trying to learn all this by myself, because Cox definitely hasn't given any help in understanding what to expect.
I am not getting all of my channels for sure.
I don't even know what channels I should get.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #1777
Supermurph

Quote:
No problem with the cards, but when I asked the guy if I needed a tuning adapter for the SDV-he said he didn't know what I was talking about.
In the Phoenix area you can pick up the Tuning Adapters at the Cox Digital Store and install them yourself. So, if you want to get one, just walk in to a Cox Store in Tucson and ask for one. If they don't know what you're talking about, you will know that they aren't available in Tucson yet.

One other thought is that if you don't notice any channels missing that you want to watch, you don't really need a Tuning Adapter yet anyway. ;-)
Supermurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #1778
cliffdwelling

Yes,
I picked up the tuning adapters and hooked them up and called to activate.
One adapter performed right, but the other is still not working. I have disconnected it after a technician came out and he couldn't get it working.
Cox technicians and CS reps are learning about this technology on the fly.
I think there are only a couple of channels that I don't get without the adapter, so I have one disconnected. I will just wait until they get a little better practice and knowledge, before I attempt to have the other connected.

This whole process with Cox and the Tivo box and cable cards was a tedious process
and I am content with just the cable cards working properly.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #1779
mcdowd

Cox San Diego

This post describes my positive experience with Cox San Diego.

Cox SD sent a technician to my home yesterday to install Cablecard(s) into my Tivo HD XL. The process was painless. The installer was a Cox employee, who was professional, courteous and knowledgeable. He had installed Cable Cards on numerous Tivos in the past.

The installer came armed with a SA Cable Card M and a pair of SA Cable Card Sís as backups; he acknowledged the Cable Cardís hit and miss quality reputation and wanted to be prepared. He installed the M, our shared preference, and the Tivo immediately saw it and started updating the card's software. After the card updated itself, which took about 5 minutes, he called the home office, registered the card and was ready to go...almost.

We were not getting any digital cable channels (100+) after he completed the initial installation. After checking the Tivoís connections and signal strength, the installer called the home office again. The home office told him to release the account on the computer in his truck.

Sure enough, this fixed the problem and everyone was happy.

Some lessons learned (some picked up from this very site) for Cox San Diego customers (and others)...
  1. Set up your Tivo several days before the installation. This gives the unit time to update software as needed and it prevents the installer from walking back out the door. Officially, the installer is only supposed to work on a connected Tivo.

2. Force your Tivo to restart itself prior to the installerís arrival. Based on my observations, some of Tivoís software updates donít kick in until the unit restarts itself. Better to force the restart prior to the installerís arrival instead of waiting for Tivo to implement a significant software upgrade while the installer is trying to do their thing.

3. Despite what customer service tells you, Cox San Diego uses M and S cards.

4. Customer service told me that Cox will only charge for a single Cable Card when they install the 2 S cards. Customer service has a permanent discount code they will use to credit the fee thatís automatically generated when the second Cable Card is added to the account.

5. Cox San Diego is not using Tuning Adapters. (TAs)

6. Push back on the $75 installation fee. I told them that such a fee was ridiculous in light of the facts that ATT is coming and Dish and DirectTV are already here. Customer Retention issued the credit after I was bounced a few times between Customer Service and Sales.

7. Have your Tivo connected to either the internet or the phone line so the Cable Card(s) can update themselves, if necessary.

8. Politely ask the installer to clear your account from the computer in his truck before starting the installation process.
All in all, it was a great experience.
mcdowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:22 AM   #1780
socalgman

Cox NoVA installs Cablecard

Made the jump from a S2 Tivo with a non HD box rental, to Tivo HD with cablecard.

Customer Service:

When I called Cox in Northern Virginia to make the change to Cablecard, they did try to encourage me to not make the change. When I persisted, they informed me that I would lose my discount for bundled services. They also said that I would need two cards, but I told them they could give me ONE M-card instead. (Note: They were actually going to let me pick up the cablecard and self install, but then they offered the essentially free truck roll, so I took that option instead). Anyway, with dropping the bundle discount, I suggested that since I wasn't bundled anymore, there was no need to keep the phone service, since I mostly use my cell phone now. They did end up making concessions, and by time I was done my monthly billing did drop about $40 from where I started due to some promotions that they put me on (including $5 monthly discount on digital gateway), plus they gave me HD (didnt have the service before) and a programming service credit to cover the $19.99 truck roll. They said they were charging me $19.99 because they considered the cablecard install an "upgrade install". I maintained all of my previous service levels, except for the addition of HD. My concession was that I had to put some of my services on a subscriber agreement, and an hour of my life that I'll never get back.

Truck Roll:

The tech was a Cox employee, and he showed up the day after my CS call, on a sunday morning. He had a SA M-card in his pocket, but with the short notice of the job, he didnt have a tuning adapter with him. He made arrangements to return with one. The setup went quickly, and there were no errors. After setup, I did note a lack of several HD channels, to which he attributed the lack of the adapter. He told me during setup that he doesnt do many cablecard installs because not many customers ask for them, tho he had worked tivo setups previously. Tech was very pleased that I had all of the initial setup work done before he got here. A hint: On a fresh Tivo box, just keep manually connecting to the tivo service through 'settings', and it will force the download of the updated system software. Mine was at ver 11 in no time by doing this... but I probably had to connect 5-6 times. Also, it required a system reboot through the settings menu, but the tivo box told me when this was needed.

Overall:

The CS rep was really fantastic, and the technician, while not entirely versed in the tivo, did just fine. I also liked the confirmation email that Cox sent me to put in writing what we discussed on the phone, and also what the technician did while he was here. Nice touch, Cox. I know that Cox CS hasnt always been legendary, but they did right by me this time. I like the Tivo HD (upgraded to 750GB HDD) and like the integration of the cablecard into the tivo. We'll see if the adapter gets me my missing channels!

Last edited by socalgman : 04-20-2009 at 12:28 AM.
socalgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #1781
Kershek

Interesting experience. Thanks for posting it.

Which channels are missing for you?
Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #1782
socalgman

TA arrived today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershek View Post
Interesting experience. Thanks for posting it.

Which channels are missing for you?
Honestly, the majority of the HD channels were missing. I didn't note. Some of the major networks, CNN, etc. Same Cox tech came back today with the tuning adapter. TA booted up, light went solid green, plugged USB into Tivo, and no change. Still missing many channels. Tech thought that the signal may have been weak. I knew that wasnt the case though. We ended up going to the tivo settings and restarting (per posting in this forum). After boot, the tivo displayed the mapping channels screen, and voila. I now have all of my channels.

I got alot out of reading this forum in preparation for this change, and it was more than helpful. I wanted to give back a little by posting my experience.
socalgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #1783
AZDad

Help in Chandler!

I'm looking for some good advice for those of you in PHX. I am new to the HD world but not new to Tivo or Cox. I currently have Cox cable (no box) with a Series 1 and 2 Tivo boxes in my house. I ran out tonight and picked me up a nice Sony Bravia and now I have to make a content decision. Should I stay with Cox? I love Tivo and I have been happy with Cox. We get our high speed internet through Cox as well. I will not consider the Cox DVR as it looks like crap from what I have seen.

So, my dilemma is: Cox with Tivo Series 3 cable card or go with Dish or Directv. I prefer to stay with Cox but all the cable card problems reported on this forum are scaring me away. The Best Buy rep today told me that he thought the Cox issues have gone away with the cable cards. Is this true?

Please share any good (and bad) experiences you are having with Cox in PHX with Tivo Series 3 + cable card.
AZDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:41 AM   #1784
Kershek

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalgman View Post
Honestly, the majority of the HD channels were missing.
Depending on where you are in the city, you may not yet have all the channels that TiVo says you have. For instance, I'm in East Mesa, and I have several channels that don't work in the HD range. This is because they are doing a rollout of new channels across the valley and our area hasn't had them turned on yet, although last I heard it was supposed to happen in May. TiVo got the word that we were getting new channels and added them to my box, but they didn't know when they would appear, so I just have to wait.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #1785
taylorwilken

We've been a Tivo owner for 7 years, and just purchased a new Tivo HD, and upgraded our Cox (Oklahoma City) service to digital and HD. We're trying to get it set up with a cablecard and it's been a bit of a disaster.

The TiVo cablecard hotline has been wonderful, but we have had no luck getting to someone who knows anything about cablecards at Cox.

Here's the issue:

M-Card goes in fine, they call it in and activate it. However the Main CA screen shows Status: Not Staged , which I think is the critical problem.

Everything else looks good, but the channels are all "NOT_ENT" We have no channels whatsoever except the local stations, in both standard and HD (Channels 1-15 and 701-715)

No one at Cox knows what the Status message means or thinks it's relevant in any way. There's a "Authorization Received" message on the main screen with the phone number, so they say that's all they can do.

They have made two trips out so far and have tried 5 M-Cards and an S-Card. All cards show the same "Not Staged" error. TiVo has replaced the HD unit, though Tivo and I both agree that's likely not the problem, we're just trying to pacify Cox, who was maintaining the unit must be bad.

Does anyone know what this error means and how it could be corrected? They (Cox) are coming out again on Friday, and I would like to be educated a little better. I will be calling the hotline while they are out as well. I think it may be a matter of getting to the right person the tech calls in to when they are out at my house, the techs don't seem to know anything about cablecards.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited by taylorwilken : 05-07-2009 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added City Name
taylorwilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #1786
jrm01

As I responded on your similar post on tivo.com:

I have seen several reports with this same error message. In all cases it was fixed when, in the words of the poster, Cox finally got someone at the headend office who knew what they were doing. There seems to be some complications in how the cards are entered into their system and assigned to your account.

You may ask them to try and change your account to eliminate the cablecards from it, then start over and add cablecards back onto the account.
jrm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #1787
Johncv

Cox San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdowd View Post
This post describes my positive experience with Cox San Diego.

Cox SD sent a technician to my home yesterday to install Cablecard(s) into my Tivo HD XL. The process was painless. The installer was a Cox employee, who was professional, courteous and knowledgeable. He had installed Cable Cards on numerous Tivos in the past.

The installer came armed with a SA Cable Card M and a pair of SA Cable Card Sís as backups; he acknowledged the Cable Cardís hit and miss quality reputation and wanted to be prepared. He installed the M, our shared preference, and the Tivo immediately saw it and started updating the card's software. After the card updated itself, which took about 5 minutes, he called the home office, registered the card and was ready to go...almost.

We were not getting any digital cable channels (100+) after he completed the initial installation. After checking the Tivoís connections and signal strength, the installer called the home office again. The home office told him to release the account on the computer in his truck.

Sure enough, this fixed the problem and everyone was happy.

Some lessons learned (some picked up from this very site) for Cox San Diego customers (and others)...
  1. Set up your Tivo several days before the installation. This gives the unit time to update software as needed and it prevents the installer from walking back out the door. Officially, the installer is only supposed to work on a connected Tivo.

2. Force your Tivo to restart itself prior to the installerís arrival. Based on my observations, some of Tivoís software updates donít kick in until the unit restarts itself. Better to force the restart prior to the installerís arrival instead of waiting for Tivo to implement a significant software upgrade while the installer is trying to do their thing.

3. Despite what customer service tells you, Cox San Diego uses M and S cards.

4. Customer service told me that Cox will only charge for a single Cable Card when they install the 2 S cards. Customer service has a permanent discount code they will use to credit the fee thatís automatically generated when the second Cable Card is added to the account.

5. Cox San Diego is not using Tuning Adapters. (TAs)

6. Push back on the $75 installation fee. I told them that such a fee was ridiculous in light of the facts that ATT is coming and Dish and DirectTV are already here. Customer Retention issued the credit after I was bounced a few times between Customer Service and Sales.

7. Have your Tivo connected to either the internet or the phone line so the Cable Card(s) can update themselves, if necessary.

8. Politely ask the installer to clear your account from the computer in his truck before starting the installation process.
All in all, it was a great experience.
Cox San Diego seem to be more on ball. In fact the installer who came out to install the SA-M card wish that Cox would dump the SA boxes and just use TiVoís.

Just asking, did your cable card receive a firmware update? My box receive it last Sunday. Just would like to know what was updated.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #1788
mcdowd

Johncv,

My CableCard updated itself as soon as it was plugged into the my Tivo.

Michael
mcdowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #1789
gideonse

Cox San Diego is demanding $75 for Cable Card installation. Is that even legal? And is there anyway to make that go away?
gideonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #1790
jcaudle

Cable Card Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideonse View Post
Cox San Diego is demanding $75 for Cable Card installation. Is that even legal? And is there anyway to make that go away?
Its 29 bucks for a truck roll here with Cox Northern Virginia. Of course the fees vary by each area. I want Fios.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #1791
ajwees41

I want tivo on the cox dvr
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #1792
tivocrazy

Believe it or not there was a press release issued about 3 years ago where Cox was going to allow Tivo to create the UI for the Cox DVR's. I have not seen anything since. Heard that it had be trialed in Rhode Island but never got any further. Anyone know anymore about this?
tivocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 PM   #1793
Kershek

I heard that was only for specific pilot areas that had a Motorola HDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivocrazy View Post
Believe it or not there was a press release issued about 3 years ago where Cox was going to allow Tivo to create the UI for the Cox DVR's. I have not seen anything since. Heard that it had be trialed in Rhode Island but never got any further. Anyone know anymore about this?

Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #1794
ajwees41

I hope they are just waiting for Tru2way and then they will launch on the motorola platform.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:43 AM   #1795
LynnL999

Unless they can manage to produce a Moto box that can hold more than ~15 hours of HD, or permits expansion, it hardly matters if it has TiVo software or not, IMO. The lack of hard drive space is what finally tipped me over to an HD TiVo.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #1796
moyekj

The TiVo software on Moto boxes in Comcast test markets was a huge flop so I wouldn't bother waiting for whatever may eventually materialize with Cox. Perhaps new hardware will help but you will never have all the flexibility of standalone Tivos anyway so just get the real thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:30 AM   #1797
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivocrazy View Post
The Cox public trials are supposed to be announced in the next month or two. There haven't been any public trials yet.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #1798
cliffdwelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideonse View Post
They charged us 29.95 for the same thing and on the bill it says "Pro-Install"
which was everything but. I had to guide the tech through the process and they probably should have paid us for the class training the guy received on the job.

Probably no way to avoid charge, but maybe you could call and ask why the charge is so much more than Southern Arizona Cox. I had earlier compared Cox- San Diego service charges to Tucson and found San Diego cheaper across the board, so this is surprising. Maybe they will negotiate. Good Luck.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:37 PM   #1799
juanian

I haven't seen this posted, so I don't know if is possible or not.

I have Cox in Phoenix. Would I be able to get a reduced charge (or no charge) if I bring my TiVo into a Cox store to have the CableCards installed? (Actually, I think I heard that Cox Phoenix has the M cards, so I guess it would only be one card.)

I'm guessing it is not possible (since I haven't seen it brought up as a less-costly alternative). But, isn't the pairing of the CC with the TiVo (and not some other device) the reason the cable companies use their own personnel (or their paid contractors) to do the CC install?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #1800
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

You can't do it in the store, has to be done at your house.

Your best bet is to try to negotiate the fee.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote