TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #1741
wierdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcw07 View Post
I just got a Tivo HD for Christmas and while it took a while to install the cablecards (around 4 hours), it has been worth it. I was upgrading from a series 2. They do have M-Cards. The customer service guy on the phone said the same thing to me that they only had S-Cards, but when the installation guy showed up, he had M-Cards and said the customer service person didn't know what they were talking about. Now, the installation tech had 2 M-Cards and 4 S-Cards. He tried for around 2 -3 hours to get the 2 M-Cards working and was never able to. He got the first S-Card working in a couple minutes and then we had a bad S-Card in the 2nd slot, so we tried another S-Card and it worked great. So I ended up with 2 S-Cards instead of a single M-Card, but it was working so I didn't really care

After I got mine working, I have been loving it so much that I convinced my mother to upgrade her series 2 to a Tivo HD. That installation went a little worse then mine. Took around 3 hours on the first day and they could not get the 2 different M-Cards to work that night. They came back the next day and it took around 5 hours, but they were eventually able to get it working. Again the M-Cards were not working and again they ended up installing 2 S-Cards. It seems that they don't have nearly as much problems with the S-Cards as they do with the SA M-Cards. However, after all the hassle it is worth it even if they end up installing 2 S-Cards.

As for the prices of installation and monthly fees. The installation fee was $40. The monthly fee is $1.99 per card so for 2 of them if they do end up installing S-Cards, it will be $3.98. Now you will still have the digital service/digital gateway fee ($5.50). If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or post a reply here. It is worth it and I'm already considering switching out another of my Tivo boxes for another Tivo HD's.
They don't have M-Cards in Tulsa, FWIW. I was told this both on the phone and by multiple techs.

It's still a less expensive than the Cox DVR, especially after the upcoming rate increase. (In my case, it's a whole lot less expensive, since I have one box on lifetime so the other is only $6.95/mo for TiVo service)
wierdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #1742
gcw07

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdo View Post
They don't have M-Cards in Tulsa, FWIW. I was told this both on the phone and by multiple techs.

It's still a less expensive than the Cox DVR, especially after the upcoming rate increase. (In my case, it's a whole lot less expensive, since I have one box on lifetime so the other is only $6.95/mo for TiVo service)
Yeah, I was talking about the OKC area, Norman specifically which do have M-Cards, but they seem really buggy at best. But yeah, like you said, even with 2 S-Cards, it is cheaper then using their boxes with their crappy interfaces.
gcw07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #1743
techman36

I just spoke to a rep here in Phoenix and she told me that they will be either shipping out or notifying users with Cable Cards on their accounts in February. She said they haven't not worked out the method yet, but it should be happening sometime next month. Apparently they do have them, but they are working out how to get them out and users should be notified shortly.

Hope this helps.
techman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #1744
rorien_chan

Just spoke with an extremely helpful Tivo Rep and 3way called Cox. Cox rep said no TAs as of yet and they don't know when they will be available. Cox Rep said to call billing about refunding me for unreceived channels. I did that 2 months ago and they said they couldn't. No one over at Cox has the same info.
rorien_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:38 AM   #1745
Goofball

Angry

Cox television just made my crap that is not worth what I pay list of services I can be saving money on every month. I'll be calling and e/snail-mailing them to voice my displeasure with what looks like every channel above ~20 being set as CCI=0x02 on my CableCards. I'm giving them until the end of February to restore CCI to 0x00 and my ability to use MRV and TTG on non-premium content channels before I cancel my service and use an alternative.

Thankfully this also supposedly stops people with Cox leased set tops from copying to their PCs via FireWire or I'd be so mad right now I'd be driving down to the nearest Cox store to throw my CableCards and other equipment through their windows.

I suggest that everyone else who has a TiVo with CableCards on Cox as a provider contact them via every possible method and strongly express your displeasure with this change in copy protection policy, even if it hasn't been done in your area yet. Knowing Cox you'll all be in the same boat as myself and others shortly.

I can't stand being treated like a criminal when all I want to do is move shows around my house or copy them to a portable device or my laptop to watch when I am out of town.

Last edited by Goofball : 01-27-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Goofball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:40 AM   #1746
Kershek

An alternative? Oh, you mean Cable America, the only alternative that they bought out?

It's a good thing monopolies are illegal here. Oh, wait.
Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:48 AM   #1747
Goofball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershek View Post
An alternative? Oh, you mean Cable America, the only alternative that they bought out?

It's a good thing monopolies are illegal here. Oh, wait.
The only alternative I really "need" at this point is PBS for my daughter so I can just go with OTA and be ok. Part of my alternative plan should I need it is to put some of the savings towards a NetFlix sub and switch over to watching movies where I was watching TV before.

That's where I doubt that Cox gets it. TV for most people is a luxury item. It's nice but I sure as hell don't need it and I am not going to pay them every month to get treated like a criminal.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #1748
nightdesigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman36 View Post
I just spoke to a rep here in Phoenix and she told me that they will be either shipping out or notifying users with Cable Cards on their accounts in February. She said they haven't not worked out the method yet, but it should be happening sometime next month. Apparently they do have them, but they are working out how to get them out and users should be notified shortly.

Hope this helps.
I spoke with them yesterday and I was told that it's now an unknown release date. Atlanta still hasn't given the okay to start shipping them to the customers.

All of the newer HD channels are SDV. I'm missing about 10 channels that I would get with the resolver.
nightdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #1749
tivocrazy

Seems like you guys in Arizona are having the same problem I had in Hampton Roads, Virginia last spring with not being able to transfer content from one Tivo to another due to the copyright protection flag. When Cox had me switch from a single multi-stream card to two single stream cards that fixed the problem. Are you using Motorola cards out there in Arizona?
tivocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #1750
Rolow

No where on SA
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:42 AM   #1751
tivocrazy

When I had my problem Cox told me that the cable card manufacturer was the one that set the copyright protection code and not them. Of course, I did not care WHO set the code but wanted it fixed which is why they had me try the single cards. You need a higher level of Cox support to contact SA to find out what they are doing about fixing it.
tivocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #1752
JayBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball View Post
Cox television just made my crap that is not worth what I pay list of services I can be saving money on every month. I'll be calling and e/snail-mailing them to voice my displeasure with what looks like every channel above ~20 being set as CCI=0x02 on my CableCards. I'm giving them until the end of February to restore CCI to 0x00 and my ability to use MRV and TTG on non-premium content channels before I cancel my service and use an alternative.

Thankfully this also supposedly stops people with Cox leased set tops from copying to their PCs via FireWire or I'd be so mad right now I'd be driving down to the nearest Cox store to throw my CableCards and other equipment through their windows.

I suggest that everyone else who has a TiVo with CableCards on Cox as a provider contact them via every possible method and strongly express your displeasure with this change in copy protection policy, even if it hasn't been done in your area yet. Knowing Cox you'll all be in the same boat as myself and others shortly.

I can't stand being treated like a criminal when all I want to do is move shows around my house or copy them to a portable device or my laptop to watch when I am out of town.
I filed a complaint with the FCC on this issue. The response from Cox was pretty clear that they aren't interested in removing the copy protection bits. I think they would rather lose all of us TiVo customers than have to keep supporting us.
HTPC w/ Ceton InifiniTV4 (4 TB)
Denon AVR-3808CI A/V receiver
Pioneer KURO PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma HDTV
Logitech Harmony One remote
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #1753
ksalwitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
it will only do SDV
Well I certainly hope not. As soon as they made the switch to SDV I lost the hockey package on my HD Tivo. Worked fine prior to that.

Humax Series 2 Tivo - T800 - Tivo Wireless (soon to retire)
Series 2 Tivo TCD54080 - Tivo Wireless
2 HD TCD652160-cable card (MS)-Tivo Wireless SDV
Wireless networked - Linksys WRT54G

ksalwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #1754
jcaudle

one more reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalwitz View Post
Well I certainly hope not. As soon as they made the switch to SDV I lost the hockey package on my HD Tivo. Worked fine prior to that.
One more reason to go to FiOs when it becomes available.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #1755
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalwitz View Post
maybe it got switched to sdv.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #1756
Goofball

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivocrazy View Post
When I had my problem Cox told me that the cable card manufacturer was the one that set the copyright protection code and not them. Of course, I did not care WHO set the code but wanted it fixed which is why they had me try the single cards. You need a higher level of Cox support to contact SA to find out what they are doing about fixing it.
The CableCard manufacturer has nothing to do with it. The CCI setting comes either set by the program distributor per program or is set on the cable head end per channel. Cox, at least in my area of Phoenix has decided to set CCI=0x02 on all of the channels in what amounts to the extended basic tier and up on their head end.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #1757
LynnL999

And the cable operators whinge and moan about how much internet traffic is taken up by bittorrent. Maybe if they had reasonable standards for copy protection, people wouldn't illegally download quite so much.

Why is Cox being so difficult about this? Are they just shills for the entertainment industry now? Are they their customers, or are the people who actually pay for their service?
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:21 PM   #1758
Supermurph

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightdesigns View Post
I spoke with them yesterday and I was told that it's now an unknown release date. Atlanta still hasn't given the okay to start shipping them to the customers.

All of the newer HD channels are SDV. I'm missing about 10 channels that I would get with the resolver.
Actually, none of the new HD channels in AZ are SDV. They're just doing a slow roll out. I live in Scottsdale and receive all of the new HD channels as of last month (CNNHD, SciFiHD, GreenHD, etc.). You have the channels on your guide because Tivo's guide provider does not distinguish between the different areas of the Phoenix area. You should get the HD channels soon and I'd guess that Cox should be able to tell you when.
Supermurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:22 PM   #1759
Supermurph

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
I filed a complaint with the FCC on this issue. The response from Cox was pretty clear that they aren't interested in removing the copy protection bits. I think they would rather lose all of us TiVo customers than have to keep supporting us.
If anybody gets any success even having a reasonable conversation with Cox on this, please post the method on this board. I tried about a month ago and I couldn't even get to anybody that understood how it worked.
Supermurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #1760
rorien_chan

Quote:
"I think they would rather lose all of us TiVo customers than have to keep supporting us."
This if from a letter from Cox, which was in response to my BBB complaint regarding unequal service to my non-cable company device.

"you are part of a very small group of customers currently limited by their one-way devices"

It seems to me that the amount of posts here regarding cable cards and tuning adapters this group is not "very small". Every contact I have had from higher ups at Cox has been very condescending, and usually they include incorrect information regarding my account. The only help I have gotten is directly from Tivo, or when I have Tivo 3-way call Cox with me. I have filed both BBB and FCC complaints, and only got a little more cooperation when I mentioned filing a second FCC complaint. I can tell they would rather lose us than support us, but non-support is a violation of Federal law, which they have already been taken to task for in a few states. I just don't know what it will take to get what I'm paying for out of them. Last week they called me to offer me a "deal" on telephone service. I almost up and cancelled everything right then and there, but I can't live without high speed internet and cable TV.
rorien_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #1761
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermurph View Post
Actually, none of the new HD channels in AZ are SDV. They're just doing a slow roll out. I live in Scottsdale and receive all of the new HD channels as of last month (CNNHD, SciFiHD, GreenHD, etc.). You have the channels on your guide because Tivo's guide provider does not distinguish between the different areas of the Phoenix area. You should get the HD channels soon and I'd guess that Cox should be able to tell you when.
I agree. I have the new HD channels as well so they are not SDV. I have read that they will be available valley-wide here in the Phoenix metro area by the end of May at the latest.

Dennis
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #1762
teevoenaz
Tee Voe Guy in AZ

I was told by a rep in Phx that they didn't carry M-Cards. I have my install tomorrow. We'll see.
teevoenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #1763
JayBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by teevoenaz View Post
I was told by a rep in Phx that they didn't carry M-Cards. I have my install tomorrow. We'll see.
The reps don't know squat. It's been quite a while now that Cox abandoned using S-cards. Nowadays, the techs only have M-cards.
HTPC w/ Ceton InifiniTV4 (4 TB)
Denon AVR-3808CI A/V receiver
Pioneer KURO PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma HDTV
Logitech Harmony One remote
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #1764
Kershek

I have an M-card in mine. I avoided S-cards because I heard there was a synch issue.
Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #1765
Jedara

Grey Screen Searching for Signal: Cable In

Cox Cable guy installed M-card and digital tuner last night. We had software downloading problems that I won't go into. The end result is that I have the updated software and I am receiving most of the channels but some of them (such as the CW or Lifetime) are not coming through. I get a grey screen and a message that it's searching for signal: cable in.

Reset tivo this morning, no improvement.

Checked signal strength on the grey channels: no signal.

Checked channels for digital tuner, no problem there. Checked channels for cable card, no channels available. Is the M-card the problem? In other diagnostics, it looks like there's nothing wrong with it except for the fact that there are no channels when I use the "check channels" feature.

Went through set-up again. No help.

Removed m-card, rebooted, reinserted m-card, rebooted. No improvement.

Cable guy scheduled to return tonight. Any advice on what he should do? Do I need a new M-card, a new digital tuner? Did something go wrong with the installation of either?

Feeling pressed for time here (I'm at work), so I apologize if something doesn't make sense. Thanks!

Last edited by Jedara : 02-12-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Jedara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #1766
Follow Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedara View Post
I am receiving most of the channels but some of them (such as the CW or Lifetime) are not coming through. I get a grey screen and a message that it's searching for signal: cable in.
I think you just need them to try a new CableCard. When I had my install my first M-Card had the grey screen (GSOD anyone?!?!) on all channels. He went right to a second card and then only a few channels had the grey screen. So he went to a third card and then we got the problem channels OK, but then others had a grey screen. The fourth card was the charm. All worked and have since.

Our guy didn't mess around. he said he had done quite a few TiVo's and the second everything was not perfect he didn't bother to troubleshoot, he just moved on the the next card. He said in his experience that was the best way to do it. He came to my house with four cards in his hand and said he had more on the truck if necessary.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #1767
Jedara

Quote:
Cox Cable guy installed M-card and digital tuner last night. We had software downloading problems that I won't go into. The end result is that I have the updated software and I am receiving most of the channels but some of them (such as the CW or Lifetime) are not coming through. I get a grey screen and a message that it's searching for signal: cable in.

Reset tivo this morning, no improvement.

Checked signal strength on the grey channels: no signal.

Checked channels for digital tuner, no problem there. Checked channels for cable card, no channels available. Is the M-card the problem? In other diagnostics, it looks like there's nothing wrong with it except for the fact that there are no channels when I use the "check channels" feature.

Went through set-up again. No help.

Removed m-card, rebooted, reinserted m-card, rebooted. No improvement.

Cable guy scheduled to return tonight. Any advice on what he should do? Do I need a new M-card, a new digital tuner? Did something go wrong with the installation of either?

Feeling pressed for time here (I'm at work), so I apologize if something doesn't make sense. Thanks!
Update:

The Cox cable guy installed a new M-card and a new digital tuner. The M-card works, however, the digital tuner is not working fully. I think this is why I'm receiving most of my channels but not some (such as the CW, Lifetime, and Nickelodeon.) He did not know what else to do and asked his supervisor to call me today (no call so far).

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the Cox digital tuner? Where some of the channels are grey and you get a message saying "searching for signal in cable in"?
Old 02-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #1768
teevoenaz
Tee Voe Guy in AZ

Smile M-Card Install in Phx

Quote:
The reps don't know squat. It's been quite a while now that Cox abandoned using S-cards. Nowadays, the techs only have M-cards.
Well, I had my install yesterday. Everything went well. He did indeed have an M-Card. It took ~ 2 hours for him to get all the channels working but they are there (Even HD). So far, so good.
teevoenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #1769
deaddeeds
Go Hokies

Quote:
Update:
Has anyone else experienced this problem with the Cox digital tuner? Where some of the channels are grey and you get a message saying "searching for signal in cable in"?
Check out the Fairfax County TA Forum!
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...412065&page=10
deaddeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #1770
Jedara

SUCCESS! The Cox cable technician returned this morning with a new black cord. He'd done some research and learned that sometimes there's a problem with the cord that attaches the TA to the TiVo box and it doesn't grab all the channels, thereby resulting in a grey screen and the message: searching for signal in cable in.

Once he replaced the cord, all the channels appeared. HD channels, too! It also looks like I can dual-record using the one M-card, which is something I couldn't do before he replaced the cord.

I am reluctant to post the technician's name but I have to say: he was terrific. Patient, polite, and persistent. He could easily have left that first visit, once everything was installed, and left me to setup and discover the problems on my own. But he didn't want to close the job until he sure everything was working as it should. He said that he'd have his supervisor call me next week to double-check everything and that he'd ask his supe to offer me HBO or Cinemax as compensation for my trouble.