TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #1711
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
I got a tech this morning (who came out to troubleshoot my signal strength issue) who said that Cox was moving away from cable cards all together. He said they are very close to not allowing any new CC's going in, and saving the limited inventory of CC's they have for existing customer maintainance.
I'll believe it when I see it. FCC fines are comming.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #1712
Kershek

Quote:
I got a tech this morning (who came out to troubleshoot my signal strength issue) who said that Cox was moving away from cable cards all together. He said they are very close to not allowing any new CC's going in, and saving the limited inventory of CC's they have for existing customer maintainance.
Lovely. Chalk one up for less consumer options! It's not like we have another choice that uses cablecards.
Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:54 PM   #1713
Supermurph

Quote:
The guy didn't know what he was talking about. It's not up to Cox. Moving away from CableCard would be illegal.
Supermurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #1714
badfish

Quote:

I had a cable card installed last week and the tech told me the same thing. He said that the tech are not carrying them with them. Thats why he sat in front of my house for two hours waiting for a tech to bring him a card and excuse him.

He also said that we would be stuck with the HD channels that are available now. We would not receive any new channels when they come available.

I had to call support that night because i wasn't receiving any HD channels that were not network based. The tech that i talked to on the phone said that it wasn't true. That we would be able to call up and have are card reconfigured.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #1715
Free

Cox doesn't seem to care what is "legal" or not. Perhaps they have done some cost calculations and feel that paying fines (if one was actually ever levied against them) would be cheaper than dealing with all the CC issues.

I have had several techs out over the past few weeks, due to a signal problem. None of them came with cable cards, they have indicated that they are hard to come by, especially the S cards the Series 3 needs, and that Cox is trying to discourage installs.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:02 PM   #1716
westcoastexport

I bought a TiVo HD DVR for my in-laws in Fairfax Station for Christmas. They have Cox and this is my story of the installation.

Called Cox on 12/26 to request installation of M-Card and Tuner Adaptor (TA) and they offered to come out on 12/27. Rescheduled fror 12/29.

They arrived in their scheduled time and brought an M-card and TA. Unfortunately, my in laws had no wireless adaptor nor had I run set-up for TiVo so we rescheduled for 12/31. I took the unit home and ran set-up using my wireless adaptor.

They again showed up again on time but this time, they didn't bring the TA even though I had begged the first installer to leave it behind. This person was able to install the M-Card and promised to return on 1/2. He came back as scheduled on 1/2 with the TA, however, the TA wasn't recognized because the software was 8.1 and required 9.4 to work. After more than 2.5 hours, he had to go. I spent 75 minutes on the line with TiVo getting them to "force" a connection. It still didn't work - same 8.1 software. My father in law got on the phone with them after I left and they were successful getting software version 11.0 to load. When it did, the TA worked (it didn't have to be "set-up" as the Cox tech person thought). My in laws now have all channels available through Cox and are happy to get away from the Cox DVR that they weren't comfortable with.

Lessons learned:

- You need to ask the right questions when scheduling the installation - Thx to everyone here.
- You need to make sure you have a wireless adaptor at the time on installation
- You need minimum software of 9.4 with 11.0 or recent version optimal
- You need to complete set-up in advance, and that still doesn't mean you won't have to do it again
- TiVo service staff are really good and stay with you and are very helpful
- Cox too was very accomodating and reasonably knowledgeable.

Thanks again to everyone for their insight and experience in helping others to minimize the pain.
westcoastexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:12 PM   #1717
badfish

I dont under stand why you needed the wire less adapter for the installation of the cable card? I used my phone line and it worked just fine.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #1718
badfish

Is there any way to get PPV UFC fights on HD cable card Tivo?

Old 01-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #1719
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
I dont under stand why you needed the wire less adapter for the installation of the cable card? I used my phone line and it worked just fine.
maybe phoneline not close enough.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #1720
frogger22

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish View Post
No you can't. The CableCard (even with a TA) does not permit you to purchase any PPV content.
frogger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #1721
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger22 View Post
No you can't. The CableCard (even with a TA) does not permit you to purchase any PPV content.
that is wrong. It should work if you can call in and order the PPV.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #1722
Timber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
that is wrong. It should work if you can call in and order the PPV.

-=Tim=-
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #1723
wierdo

I finally got CCs for my THD in Tulsa over the weekend. (I've had them in my S3 for almost 2 years now)

It took far more time than it should have because of issues getting them to pair. The interesting thing is that unlike the first time, they had no problem getting them to take the authorization hits, so I could receive all the channels that weren't copy protected, but getting the person at the headend to get the pairing information right took several hours.

And it still takes 5 cards to find 2 that will work. My installer brought 3, and ended up having to go get a couple from another installer.

I have to say, though, that my installer was a real trooper. He arrived before 2PM on Saturday and didn't leave until around 8:30 (he had to run a new line to the pole and clean up some wiring), when it was working.

One very nice thing about using cablecards is that Cox won't send out contractors with them, so you always get an employee.
wierdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #1724
alansh

For what it's worth, my experience with Cox in Phoenix has been pretty good. I waited to order until after the firmware update fiasco was resolved.

The order taker at Cox had goofed up the order, so the tech had to make a second visit with the cable cards. He had two M-cards, but since this is an HD, we only used one. There was a long delay while the card updated its firmware to 401. Once that was complete, and the tech called in the host ID, everything has been fine. I haven't had any reboots or dropped recording.

Every so often I do see some pixelation, but that may be the broadcast itself. The only other hangup is the SDV channels, but at least so far there's not much on them I'm interested in. The new HD channels introduced at the end of the year came in fine.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #1725
ksalwitz

Cox TA - In Phoenix?

Has anyone received a TA from Cox in the Phoenix area? I've got the hockey package and i have to watch the games in the bedroom...not the best place to have beer and popcorn . BTW i've had my updated M-card in my hd tivo for several months (since the patch was sent out) and have had no problems related to the firmware fiasco.

Humax Series 2 Tivo - T800 - Tivo Wireless (soon to retire)
Series 2 Tivo TCD54080 - Tivo Wireless
2 HD TCD652160-cable card (MS)-Tivo Wireless SDV
Wireless networked - Linksys WRT54G

ksalwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #1726
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksalwitz View Post
Has anyone received a TA from Cox in the Phoenix area? I've got the hockey package and i have to watch the games in the bedroom...not the best place to have beer and popcorn . BTW i've had my updated M-card in my hd tivo for several months (since the patch was sent out) and have had no problems related to the firmware fiasco.
Nothing that I have heard of yet. I guess that whole 'before the end of the year' stuff was just wishful thinking.

Luckily, none of the HD channels that I watch are SDV currently, so it is not a big issue for me yet.

Dennis
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #1727
amyflick

Quote:
I'm not in Phoenix, but I have the center ice package. I can't watch any of those channels with the tuning adapter. According to Cox, this is the result of a bug in the TA and should be fixed with a patch that will be pushed to the TA sometime around mid Jan. We'll see, I have my doubts.
amyflick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #1728
Supermurph

Quote:
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure the TA has no impact on interactive features such as PPV and OnDemand. It just allows you to receive SDV channels. I think I read that on the Tivo page that describes the TA. I can try to find that if it matters.
Supermurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #1729
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermurph View Post
I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure the TA has no impact on interactive features such as PPV and OnDemand. It just allows you to receive SDV channels. I think I read that on the Tivo page that describes the TA. I can try to find that if it matters.
it will only do SDV
Old 01-14-2009, 12:11 PM   #1730
Tel Janin

Smile Cox/FAIRFAX - Received my Tuning Adapter!

Howdy,
I stopped off at the Cox office in Herndon this morning and picked up a tuning adapter. Was in and out in under five minutes. Can't wait to hook it up tonight. Will report how it goes.
-Tel

Tel Janin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #1731
rorien_chan

Angry Nearly a year of struggle

I have been silently following this thread for a while and finally decided to contribute. I have been struggling with Cox since February 08 to get the service I am paying for on my Tivo. In addition to Cable Card issues everyone else seems to be having they have over billed me many times since I updated to HD service. After months of trying to make something work, and losing channels due to the SDV rollout, I finally filed an FCC complaint. In October 08 I contacted the Cox Resolutions Department through the BBB. The reply I received said Cox had already filed a purchase order for quantities of the tuning adapters. In November 08 I received a letter that was the response to my FCC complaint. In addition to false information about my account (that I was not being charged for a High Def Receiver, which I don't have in the first place), the letter said I would be invited to beta test the tuning adapter "in the coming weeks". I have spoken with about 20 different tech support reps since October and no one has any idea what a tuning adapter is. I tried contacting the resolutions department again and it seems like I am being ignored. Al I have experienced is Cox's lack of knowledge or them trying to misdirect me. The only way I can get any answers from them is by being angry and threatening them with the FCC. I have no other choice for cable service in the North Phoenix area. If one became available I would jump at the chance. I see others in Phoenix have TAs, what do I need to say to them to get one?
rorien_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:19 PM   #1732
Tel Janin

Big Grin Re: Tuning Adapter installed, works great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel Janin View Post
I stopped off at the Cox office in Herndon this morning and picked up a tuning adapter. Was in and out in under five minutes. Can't wait to hook it up tonight. Will report how it goes.
Hooked the device up following the instructions, called in to Cox, got it activated automatically via the IVR, and it's working great. TiVo picked it right up once I connected it via USB, and I'm able to receive all of the SDV channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorien_chan View Post
If one became available I would jump at the chance. I see others in Phoenix have TAs, what do I need to say to them to get one?
I can't speak for Phoenix, but I called my local Cox franchise (NoVA/Fairfax; numbers on their site and on the bill) and ended up talking to someone about a service change. After identifying myself, and they asked what they could do for me today, I indicated that I had heard that they had Tuning Adapters finally, and what would I have to do to get my hands on one? There was a pause, and the response was to go to the local office and pick one up. I asked for clarification - this could be self installed, as the CableCARDS had to be installed by Cox? They responded, yes, it can be self installed. I asked if the office nearest me, mentioned by address, had them, and they confirmed that yes, indeed, that office had them. I then grabbed my coat and my keys, and drove to said office. I pressed the button for 'technical assistance', was called almost immediately, and asked for a Tuning Adapter. They verified my account info, verified I had a single CableCARD, and went and grabbed a Tuning Adapter, noted some info in the computer, and handed it over. In and out of the office in less than 5 minutes. There was a Cox-produced glossy inside the box on how to self-install the Tuning Adapter, the manufacturer-issed install instructions, and a copy of a print out involving basic troubleshooting steps that had been identified during the beta program (or the laser printer was running low on toner, one of the two).

Anyways, far more information than you wanted, I'm sure, but my experience. Good luck, sir or madam, on acquiring your tuning adapter.
Tel Janin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #1733
JimjimH

I have cable cards in 2 of my HD units. Haven't installed any in my third as yet. The techs had so many problems installing them I'm afraid I'll have problems with the third unit because its at the end of a longer cable run. Signal strength and other factors are so critical with digital.
I'm also still waiting for Cox Phoenix to start issuing tuning adapters!
JimjimH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #1734
komadori

I'm new to TiVo and thinking about buying a refurbished TiVo HD. I'm using a Cox HD DVR right now and trying to figure out if if it's worth switching to TiVo. Can anyone in the Oklahoma City area help me make a right decision? First, is there anyone who is using a TiVo HD successfully with Cox SA CableCards in the Oklahoma City area? I was told by customer service that they only have S-Cards, so I have to use 2 cards for my TiVo HD. Is this true? Second, what would be the costs of renting and installing CableCards, and any other one-time and/or monthly fees associated with using TiVo HD in the Oklahoma City area? I think if I can have a TiVo HD with similar or less monthly costs to the costs of having Cox HD DVR (I'm paying $5.25 for renting HD/DVR receiver and $11.99 for DVR service), it's worth it. Thanks a bunch in advance.

Last edited by komadori : 01-17-2009 at 11:42 AM.
komadori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #1735
Dubrau

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorien_chan View Post
I have been silently following this thread for a while and finally decided to contribute. I have been struggling with Cox since February 08 to get the service I am paying for on my Tivo. In addition to Cable Card issues everyone else seems to be having they have over billed me many times since I updated to HD service. After months of trying to make something work, and losing channels due to the SDV rollout, I finally filed an FCC complaint. In October 08 I contacted the Cox Resolutions Department through the BBB. The reply I received said Cox had already filed a purchase order for quantities of the tuning adapters. In November 08 I received a letter that was the response to my FCC complaint. In addition to false information about my account (that I was not being charged for a High Def Receiver, which I don't have in the first place), the letter said I would be invited to beta test the tuning adapter "in the coming weeks". I have spoken with about 20 different tech support reps since October and no one has any idea what a tuning adapter is. I tried contacting the resolutions department again and it seems like I am being ignored. Al I have experienced is Cox's lack of knowledge or them trying to misdirect me. The only way I can get any answers from them is by being angry and threatening them with the FCC. I have no other choice for cable service in the North Phoenix area. If one became available I would jump at the chance. I see others in Phoenix have TAs, what do I need to say to them to get one?
I just read your comments with great interest. We waited until Nov 08 to purchase our hd tivo recorder because of the problems with the cablecards last summer. Our multistream card works fine but we were not getting the new hd channels being offered. I finally called yesterday to fin out why and needless to say, the tech staff gave me several contradicting reasons. I finally asked for a tech staff to visit. He said that they were getting away from cablecards and that those of us with cablecards would not be getting the new hd channels. I asked him about the TA and he had never heard of it. He called and asked his top guy about the TA. That guy never heard of it either but claimed that a "two way" cable card would be available down the road...they just don't know when. Sounds like "vapor ware" to me. I just heard that Direct TV is negotiating a deal with Tivo. We are in Surprise, AZ (NW side of Phoenix).
Dubrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #1736
DrDatabase

Going Crazy in Orange County!! I'm losing HD channels on my m-stream card that has worked without any problems for the last year. Channels 714, 750, 754, 755, 761 went away today. Calls into to CS and no solution yet. I wonder if this is some switched video side effect going on here. Anybody know when the tuning adapter is rolling out in Orange County?
DrDatabase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #1737
jcaudle

Tuning Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubrau View Post
I just read your comments with great interest. We waited until Nov 08 to purchase our hd tivo recorder because of the problems with the cablecards last summer. Our multistream card works fine but we were not getting the new hd channels being offered. I finally called yesterday to fin out why and needless to say, the tech staff gave me several contradicting reasons. I finally asked for a tech staff to visit. He said that they were getting away from cablecards and that those of us with cablecards would not be getting the new hd channels. I asked him about the TA and he had never heard of it. He called and asked his top guy about the TA. That guy never heard of it either but claimed that a "two way" cable card would be available down the road...they just don't know when. Sounds like "vapor ware" to me. I just heard that Direct TV is negotiating a deal with Tivo. We are in Surprise, AZ (NW side of Phoenix).
Cox issued tuning adapters here in N. Virginia starting on Dec 11th. They were going to take more digital channels to switch them to SDV originally on Dec 2nd. A lot of us contacted Fairfax County and they (Cox) agreed to delay the loss of more channels until the adapter was out. Not sure why you guys haven't been issued them yet. The county was very helpful as was Cox's local VP for Governmental Relations. You might contact your local regulator...before they office of consumer protection got involved we weren't able to find out anything from Cox. Good Luck.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:57 AM   #1738
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDatabase View Post
Going Crazy in Orange County!! I'm losing HD channels on my m-stream card that has worked without any problems for the last year. Channels 714, 750, 754, 755, 761 went away today. Calls into to CS and no solution yet. I wonder if this is some switched video side effect going on here. Anybody know when the tuning adapter is rolling out in Orange County?
It's more channels than that (at least for me). I called in today as well and got some information, but no resolution. See the local AVS forum thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15612266

If you get any more info on this please post here or there. All those channels still don't tune for me and if one believes the CSR they are not supposed to be SDV (yet).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:26 AM   #1739
gcw07

Quote:
Originally Posted by komadori View Post
I'm new to TiVo and thinking about buying a refurbished TiVo HD. I'm using a Cox HD DVR right now and trying to figure out if if it's worth switching to TiVo. Can anyone in the Oklahoma City area help me make a right decision? First, is there anyone who is using a TiVo HD successfully with Cox SA CableCards in the Oklahoma City area? I was told by customer service that they only have S-Cards, so I have to use 2 cards for my TiVo HD. Is this true? Second, what would be the costs of renting and installing CableCards, and any other one-time and/or monthly fees associated with using TiVo HD in the Oklahoma City area? I think if I can have a TiVo HD with similar or less monthly costs to the costs of having Cox HD DVR (I'm paying $5.25 for renting HD/DVR receiver and $11.99 for DVR service), it's worth it. Thanks a bunch in advance.
I just got a Tivo HD for Christmas and while it took a while to install the cablecards (around 4 hours), it has been worth it. I was upgrading from a series 2. They do have M-Cards. The customer service guy on the phone said the same thing to me that they only had S-Cards, but when the installation guy showed up, he had M-Cards and said the customer service person didn't know what they were talking about. Now, the installation tech had 2 M-Cards and 4 S-Cards. He tried for around 2 -3 hours to get the 2 M-Cards working and was never able to. He got the first S-Card working in a couple minutes and then we had a bad S-Card in the 2nd slot, so we tried another S-Card and it worked great. So I ended up with 2 S-Cards instead of a single M-Card, but it was working so I didn't really care

After I got mine working, I have been loving it so much that I convinced my mother to upgrade her series 2 to a Tivo HD. That installation went a little worse then mine. Took around 3 hours on the first day and they could not get the 2 different M-Cards to work that night. They came back the next day and it took around 5 hours, but they were eventually able to get it working. Again the M-Cards were not working and again they ended up installing 2 S-Cards. It seems that they don't have nearly as much problems with the S-Cards as they do with the SA M-Cards. However, after all the hassle it is worth it even if they end up installing 2 S-Cards.

As for the prices of installation and monthly fees. The installation fee was $40. The monthly fee is $1.99 per card so for 2 of them if they do end up installing S-Cards, it will be $3.98. Now you will still have the digital service/digital gateway fee ($5.50). If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or post a reply here. It is worth it and I'm already considering switching out another of my Tivo boxes for another Tivo HD's.
gcw07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 AM   #1740
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDatabase View Post
Problem is now fixed, so obviously there was something messed up on headend side. I can tune all the following now:
706, 714, 725, 730, 731, 733, 741, 755, 761, 782, 790

NOTE: These have never been made available to CableCard devices for whatever reason and that is still the case: 732, 753, 772

Anyhow, glad I don't have to worry about this anymore.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote