TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #1681
jcaudle

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaddeeds View Post
Well both Cox and Comcast are horrible with customer service. They donít have to please their customers because they sign these exclusive contracts with the localities. I used to live in Prince William County so I have dealt with both and the grass is not greener on the other side. Competition with Verizon will hopefully make Cox realize that customer service does really matter. I for one will leave Cox for Verizon as soon as FIOS comes to my neighborhood.
Well at least if you had direct competition....anyway I see Verizon trucks doing installation a little over a mile from my house, and yet they aren't due in Lorton for another 2 years.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:59 PM   #1682
lofar

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaddeeds View Post
Well both Cox and Comcast are horrible with customer service. They donít have to please their customers because they sign these exclusive contracts with the localities. I used to live in Prince William County so I have dealt with both and the grass is not greener on the other side. Competition with Verizon will hopefully make Cox realize that customer service does really matter. I for one will leave Cox for Verizon as soon as FIOS comes to my neighborhood.

I'm with you there. They have a monopoly in my area too, which means bad service and high prices. I love comparing their prices in my area to their prices in their other areas, i pay about $10-$15 a month more than many of their other areas. And they treat me like crap. I'm just glad that i've been able to cut down their monthly bill from about $150/mo to less than $70 a month by switching to verizon for phone and DSL and getting tivo for DVR service. Bundle your services to save money my ass. Cox is NOT my friend in the digital age.
lofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:37 AM   #1683
jfranklin
CSR, Cox Hampton Rds

Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
With this letter, I'm getting to the end of my rope with Cox. Verizon might be getting a call from me soon.
While I obviously would hate to lose you, or anyone as a customer. You all pay my bills. I understand your need to do what is best for you, and if any company you're dealing with can't provide you with the level of service you expect I don't know anyone that would fault you for find another company that did.

As a whole the customer service (technical anyway, I can't speak for the other departments as I'm not in them, though I was a field tech for three years and I like to still think of myself as 'one of them' too) we offer is rather good. Unfortunately when going beyond the 'every day' problems the training just isn't there. I do try. I ran one HSI/Phone training class about a month ago, and assisted another. I've done some video refresher classes, and helped produce the current video troubleshooting document (for Motorola hardware) which is slowing being distributed to the floor. I had my hands tied when it came to CableCARD, though. I was explicitly told that the only information I could provide in the document was what would apply to our own converters because they don't actually want us dealing with the cards. I don't know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
It's funny you mention that. I don't doubt it for a minute. i've had the same issue w/ my cablecard lineup both when i first got service and after i added showtime. Only 1 of the cards had the full service. i had to call tech support multiple times to get it resolved.

that Cust Service or sales knows about new stuff well before tech support, even though most people would think talking to tech support we'd get answers to these questions. And he expressed the same concern you did- that people call tech support and you guys aren't given any info to help people out.

must be frustrating for you guys who actually try to stay on top of things
Improper balancing is one of the most common problems we deal with outside of tiling for video. So many different departments deal with order entry, and the training doesn't seem to be on pair across all departments. I know that is changing, and it will be equal eventually, but until it is stuff like that does fall through the cracks. The changes that have been made to the order entry system has helped reduce some of those problems, though. I do appreciate your patience with the issue, even if it was frustrated patience.

And yes, he was partly right. It does seem that sales knows about changes before technical does. I follow a thread on another board for Cox customers in my area only, and we have a regular poster who works in on of the service centers. I get most of my information from him. As in he posts it to the forum sometimes days to a week before it gets circulated to the technical call center. I also get a fair amount of information from the field operations website which I still have access to. Sometimes things show up there a month or more before 'we' get them.

I get that we're probably fed the information when the powers that be think we need it. Problem is that somewhere along the line the timing is getting messed up.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer

Last edited by jfranklin : 10-29-2008 at 02:40 AM. Reason: I can't type
jfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #1684
Follow Who?

I've got a TiVo HD in the Cox Hampton Roads market. This past weekend they added several new HD channels, all of which showd up on my CableCard Equipped TiVo. Not only that, but all of the HD cannels they were previously holding back showed up as well! So I now have the full compliment of HD channels on my TiVo! It was only 3 junky channels they were holding back anyway, but it nice to see them show up.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #1685
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follow Who? View Post
I've got a TiVo HD in the Cox Hampton Roads market. This past weekend they added several new HD channels, all of which showd up on my CableCard Equipped TiVo. Not only that, but all of the HD cannels they were previously holding back showed up as well! So I now have the full compliment of HD channels on my TiVo! It was only 3 junky channels they were holding back anyway, but it nice to see them show up.
well now that's interesting. i know they were doing this in a couple other markets, but didn't know it was spreading to VA.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:25 AM   #1686
jfranklin
CSR, Cox Hampton Rds

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
well now that's interesting. i know they were doing this in a couple other markets, but didn't know it was spreading to VA.
Remember Hampton Roads has not yet deployed SDV, so the only thing preventing certain channels from coming through is if there are still pending upgrades in the given city. Such as in my city (Chesapeake) which only parts of are upgraded, so even though my neighborhood was done almost 10 months ago I still can't get but about half of the HD channels that are available in my market. *shrug*

Of course I'm still on a series 2, so my recorded HD doesn't look much different from my SD. Seeing that I'm not home most of the time to watch live, I don't much care. Hoping to get a series 3 by mid next year, though.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer
jfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:26 AM   #1687
Sandi

I have Cox. Omaha. and will be calling today to get cable card (s). Any hints to help things go smoothly very much appreciated.

Thanks

Sandi
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:56 AM   #1688
Follow Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I have Cox. Omaha. and will be calling today to get cable card (s). Any hints to help things go smoothly very much appreciated.

Thanks

Sandi
Sandi,

My installer had done quite a few TiVo's. He came in with 4 M-Cards in his hand. He sat down and put the first card in and called to activate. When it did not work right away, he immeadiatly pulled it out and went on to the second card. The third was the winner. The short version is that he figured out with his experience if it does not work right away, it's not gonna work. He did not waste time trying to troubleshoot for 30 minutes on each card.

By the way - by not working I mean that the first card showed no channels. The second card had some channels, only about half of them. The third card, everything showed up right away, including my premium movie channels.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #1689
kurt711

COX cablecard trouble

Cox techs have been trying to install cablecards in my TivoHD for past week without success. First tech had 3 M-cards, each one did firmware upgrade, get authorized and showed all channels I'm supposed to receive but no picture on any of them. Second tech came few days later and this time I had asked to bring couple S-cards as well. Tech tried 2 m-cards with same results as before. Both checked signal levels(all close to 100%) and ran line from street just to make sure but nothing worked.
The S-cards are in my tivo right now, both authorized but no picture. Another odd thing with s-card is that i get clear QAM channels on s-card1 but no picture on s-card2. I got Tivo involved but they can't see whats wrong either.
This tivo worked fine for almost year and half on comcast motorola m-card so don't think its the slots or tivo but never know.
Anyone else seen anything like this or have any ideas to fix this? Appreciate any help. Thanks.
kurt711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #1690
GerryFR

Cable Card Installation

I can tell you what I did to get my cable cards working: Once the cards were installed, I went through the Tivo setup again. I have found that Tivo seems to need to reconfigure the Tivo unit for the new cards and this requires going through setup and then rebooting. I also have found that if my cable provider has made a major channel change, that I sometimes have to restart the unit to be able to access the channels.

I also found that in the past my cable company (Cox) had trouble with several HD channels. The service man would always try out my receivers on those channels to be sure I could receive them. He also found that one of my cable inputs had a filter on it that would wipe out some of my digital channels. There was no record of this filter with Cox. Some of channels continued to be intermittent until some recent service updates (and more HD channels) were added. I found having a cable company DVR helped me to know were the problem was (cable or Tivo). I found both units (Cox & Tivo) had problems with the same channels. I also found that both units were very affected by the type of cable being used. I bough some good quality RG6 cable for use with these units and found that the center conductor on the cable was so sturdy that it did not bend easily and I could wipe out a number of channels by just flexing the cable. I always connect the Tivo directly to the cable input when troubleshooting problems because I have found very uneven results when hooking it up to the output of a bidirectional amplifier. I get it working right out of the wall and then add splitters or amplifiers to see what happens.

Jerry
GerryFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #1691
AZrob

Cost of 2nd Tivo CC in Phoenix

Hi all,

I am considering getting a 2nd Tivo here in Phoenix. The current amount I pay for the Cox service is $5.00 for the Digital Gateway service and $2.00 for the M-card in my one Tivo HD. Can anyone confirm what I suspect is the case, that a 2nd Tivo with an M-card will only cost me $2.00 more per month?

Thanks,

Rob from AZ
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:16 PM   #1692
Sandi

replacing coax cable question

I know this is probably a silly question, in fact I have two.

After reading all the horror stories about cable cards becoming unpaired I'm leery of doing anything that might cause problems.

I would like to replace a long coax cable with a shorter one but I don't want to mess up what appears to be working fine. Should I have a problem if I switch cables?

2nd question I think I know the answer to but I thought I would ask anyway.

Our main TV will be replaced soon with an HDTV and my husband will insist on PIP as he can't watch TV without it. With a dual tuner TIVO will we still need something else with another tuner for his 2nd picture? In other words it doesn't appear that we could view the 2 TIVO tuners on two different TV inputs.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thank you

Sandi

Omaha Cox
New HD TIVO owner
Old 11-13-2008, 05:55 PM   #1693
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrob View Post
Hi all,

I am considering getting a 2nd Tivo here in Phoenix. The current amount I pay for the Cox service is $5.00 for the Digital Gateway service and $2.00 for the M-card in my one Tivo HD. Can anyone confirm what I suspect is the case, that a 2nd Tivo with an M-card will only cost me $2.00 more per month?

Thanks,

Rob from AZ
I'm 99% certain you'll have to pay the digital gateway fee as well. For the longest time they were charging me the DGF for each card .
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:18 PM   #1694
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT View Post
I'm 99% certain you'll have to pay the digital gateway fee as well. For the longest time they were charging me the DGF for each card .
You mean, I will go from paying $7.00 a month to $14.00? I didn't think you had to pay the Gateway fee more than once per home....

Rob
Old 11-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #1695
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
You mean, I will go from paying $7.00 a month to $14.00? I didn't think you had to pay the Gateway fee more than once per home....

Rob
You'd pay it per cable box if that helps. It was a fight in the beginning to get them to call 2 S-card in a single Tivo 1 DGF.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #1696
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT View Post
You'd pay it per cable box if that helps. It was a fight in the beginning to get them to call 2 S-card in a single Tivo 1 DGF.
Okay, I found a CSR who seemed to know the score. I will be paying $4.00 more per month.

That's:

$2 for the Digital Gateway for the 2nd Tivo
$2 for the cable card in the Tivo

All in all, it could have been worse. They don't charge the $5 again for the Digital Gateway for the second device in the home...just $2.

Thanks for replying...

Rob
Old 11-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #1697
lasergecko

Quote:
Okay, I found a CSR who seemed to know the score. I will be paying $4.00 more per month.

That's:

$2 for the Digital Gateway for the 2nd Tivo
$2 for the cable card in the Tivo

All in all, it could have been worse. They don't charge the $5 again for the Digital Gateway for the second device in the home...just $2.

Thanks for replying...

Rob
Freaking stupid ass Cox Cable. Give me the name of that CSR so I can get the same deal.

In Las Vegas, I'm paying TWO full gateway fees; one for each of the cards in my Series 3. The Las Vegas CSRs are bunch of jackasses. If I have to hear ONE MORE TIME about how I'm "saving money" by paying twice what other people do, I'm going to shoot someone.
lasergecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #1698
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasergecko View Post
Freaking stupid ass Cox Cable. Give me the name of that CSR so I can get the same deal.

In Las Vegas, I'm paying TWO full gateway fees; one for each of the cards in my Series 3. The Las Vegas CSRs are bunch of jackasses. If I have to hear ONE MORE TIME about how I'm "saving money" by paying twice what other people do, I'm going to shoot someone.
Wow...good luck. Let's hope they don't say that you pay more than Phoenix Cox users because Las Vegas is....different. That's a favorite comeback....

Rob
Old 11-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #1699
deaddeeds
Go Hokies

Success

I posted this in another thread but wanted to pass along my success.

Well I called Cox three times this morning. On the third try I got somebody who spoke english and knew what a TiVo was and they have corrected my account!!!

Last edited by deaddeeds : 12-13-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Typo
deaddeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #1700
jay_winter
P4+PXL4+Mini+FIOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
I know this is probably a silly question, in fact I have two.

[1] I would like to replace a long coax cable with a shorter one ...
Should I have a problem if I switch cables?

[2] With a dual tuner TIVO will we still need something else with another tuner for his 2nd [P-I-P] picture? In other words it doesn't appear that we could view the 2 TIVO tuners on two different TV inputs.

Sandi
Hi Sandi,

[1] That should most definitely NOT be a problem.
[2] You are correct. For PIP you'd need to use one tuner in the TV and the other from the TiVo or a (dare I say it?) VCR!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #1701
Sandi

Thanks, Jay.

Appreciate the answers.

Sandi
Old 11-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #1702
Plasticman

Cox Cable Card charges

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks,

Rob from AZ
I have Cox in the New Orleans area one card in the TV and two cards in the Tivo series 3 HD. Cox charges me $5.97 for the cards and $17.97 for Digital service and 3 Digital gateways.
Plasticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:22 AM   #1703
brosenkrantz

Tuning Adapters in PHX?

Has COX in Phoenix provided any tuning adaptors for TIVO with cable cards so we can get the channels that moved to switched video?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #1704
Rolow

no they will be but they haven't started yet. I think the last letter I got said end of the year but it dose not look like that's going to happen.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #1705
jcaudle

Tuning adapters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
no they will be but they haven't started yet. I think the last letter I got said end of the year but it dose not look like that's going to happen.
Cox in Northern Virginia just started giving out the adapters this week, after finishing beta testing...They work great. We use the Cisco/Scientific Atlanta Equipment here. Hopefully you guys will get them soon....We have been with out new Hd channels for a year now since they started SDV in Sept 2007.
jcaudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:40 PM   #1706
delgadobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasergecko View Post

I'm in Vegas, too, only on regular cable (expanded basic) for now. I'm going to be getting my TIVO HD & I'm in no rush to deal with the nightmare to come. I may just use the HD as a dual-tuner TIVO for a while.

The Las Vegas CSRs have told me that I'll have to pay a 'digital gateway fee' for each outlet, as well as $2 ($1.99, I think) per cable card. I mentioned I'll have a TIVO HD & want M cards, they insist they don't exist. (Despite the fact I know other Las Vegas Cox customers have them.) When I say 'per outlet', I mean they're telling me I'll get charged TWO digital gateway fees per TIVO HD (one for each tuner).

So, when all is said & done, it will cost me about $5 for digital gateway fee ($4.95?) per tuner & $2 ($1.99?) per cable card (S card, since the M's "don't exist"). $5 times two tuners & $2 per tuner for cable cards = $14 (roughly) per TIVO. The CSR's quote "You're saving money compared to the cable box." ????

What seems sensible is to charge me one digital gateway fee (I don't pay extra for additional analog lines, once I pay for digital why should I pay for it again at each outlet?) Then, charge me $2 for each M-card - that's $9 a month instead of $28 - quite a significant difference. Keep in mind I don't agree with paying ONE digital gateway fee once I'm already paying for digital, but I'm assuming that's going to be hard to get.

Sooo, I'm in no rush to get my two TIVO HDs with lifetime service (that's about $1200 spent with TIVO), since they'll (in theory) cost me another $28/month through Cox. I'd think stuff like this would be an issue to TIVO, since in theory it's costing them revenue. In my case, it's not just costing them money in theory - it's costing them money in tangible terms.
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
Toshiba RS-TX20 300 Hr (Basic Life)

Last edited by delgadobb : 12-14-2008 at 02:03 AM.
delgadobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #1707
Rolow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaudle View Post
Cox in Northern Virginia just started giving out the adapters this week, after finishing beta testing...They work great. We use the Cisco/Scientific Atlanta Equipment here. Hopefully you guys will get them soon....We have been with out new Hd channels for a year now since they started SDV in Sept 2007.
Its nice to here there working. Where lucky most of our sdv channels are Spanish language and the odd ball stuff.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #1708
Bodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
It's nice to hear they're working. We're lucky most of our SDV channels are Spanish language and the oddball stuff.

Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:16 AM   #1709
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie View Post
It's nice to hear they're working. We're lucky most of our SDV channels are Spanish language and the oddball stuff.
Thanks for converting that into readable English for us.

Dennis
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #1710
Free

I got a tech this morning (who came out to troubleshoot my signal strength issue) who said that Cox was moving away from cable cards all together. He said they are very close to not allowing any new CC's going in, and saving the limited inventory of CC's they have for existing customer maintainance.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote