TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 09:39 PM   #1441
nsyncwithyou
nsyncwithyou
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Phx, AZ (44th St and Loop 202)
Posts: 1
Hello all and thanks for letting me join in this heated situation. I, like you all, have the same issues going on with my Series 3 HD THX TiVo. My CC 1 and 2 are stuck in the proverbial loop for about a week now. I have searched this subject and listened to this thread, hoping for an answer and will I guess wait patiently with you all for the "Great answer". I just wanted to get your thoughts on the following quote I found on TiVo's site when searching about CableCards.

"If the process takes more than 40 minutes, or the update stops and then restarts, the firmware update failed and the CableCARD is unusable. If the installer is not there, you will need to contact your cable provider to get a replacement CableCARD installed and activated."

I like others here am following the screen warnings that say not to unplug the TiVo or pull out the cards while the upgrade is going on, but has anyone unplugged their TiVo and rebooted or pulled out their cards? What happened when you did? When upgrades in computers "fail" you usually reboot and start over again and it usually will "take", why can't we do the same thing here.

I have been dealing with this for over a year now and if a class action suit is needed, please sign me up. Don't get me wrong, I love Tivo, but enough is enough. Before this upgrade I could at least watch regular TV, but for the last week I cannot watch any live TV

Lastly, the message says that you can watch any "Now Playing" show that you have, but when I do, after about five minutes it goes to a live channel and the "upgrading Cable card" banner shows up. If you go back and try to watch the show again you will have to do this again about five times while watching a 30 minute show. Does anybody else have this problem?
nsyncwithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #1442
djwilso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibari View Post
And get this, what solution did the tech suggest? Getting service without the cable cards which means you get no channels above 100...which means no HD programming since those are channels in the 700's. Um, I bought an HD TV and HD TiVo specifically so I could get, guess what?! HD PROGRAMMING! I can't believe he even suggested that!
Well, that is not completely accurate. You would not lose all channels above 100, instead you would lose the encrypted channels. You would still receive all of the local channels in HD, such as 703, 705, 706, 709, 710, 712, and 715.

I remember having these channels (well, at least the ones that were offered back then in Dec 2006) the first day I got my Series 3 TiVo before I ever got the CableCards. You can even receive these channels in HD just by connecting the cable directly from the wall to your TV without the TiVo.

Dennis
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:11 PM   #1443
Ppod
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4
South Mountain area here with a S3 and a TivoHD. Aside from having to call Cox once a month to hit our cards, no issues for the past year or so.
S3 has issues now, and is currently stuck in the Firmware Loop. It appears its stuck on 199, and isn't accepting any channel changing input.
Any advice on how to move it to a less problematic channel?
Ppod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #1444
jebbbz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 35th and Bell, Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppod View Post
South Mountain area here with a S3 and a TivoHD. Aside from having to call Cox once a month to hit our cards, no issues for the past year or so.
S3 has issues now, and is currently stuck in the Firmware Loop. It appears its stuck on 199, and isn't accepting any channel changing input.
Any advice on how to move it to a less problematic channel?
Well, I just posted this over in the other upgrade thread but I'll repost it here in hopes someone else might benefit:

The loop may be a series of loops, all triggered by the fact that when one ends you are still "on" channel 199 which is one of several problem channels people have identified. See if you can tune away from 199 at the end of an upgrade cycle. Yes, it is difficult but if you are having the same problem I have had it can be done. You only have a second or two so it may take more than one try. If you are having a different problem this won't work. The first poster, Lupin, mentioned tuning away between loop cycles when for a moment there was a pause but I don't know if his/her problem involved a problem channel.

It may be that there is more than one kind of upgrade loop so this may not work but what do you have to lose. To give yourself a better chance of tuning away from the problem I can describe what I do now if I get into a loop (I check channel 199 now and again to see if there has been a fix.)

When I first got my firmware upgrade it seemed to have gone smoothly. I started channel surfing. When I hit 199 a picture appeared for a second or so and then I got the upgrade loop for the first time. The symptoms were that the screen jumped back and forth every few seconds (5 or 10) between a cable company screen (the black and gray ones you get to via the TiVo cable card menus) and a TiVo screen that mentioned an update. During this TiVo screen the TiVo would respond to the remote. Try and get to TiVo Central and wait. Check the cable card menus. Where it shows the two CC slots the first selection will warn you of an update in progress. Go back and forth between that screen and the previous menu and see if eventually the CC slot screen no longer shows updating. If and when it does, head back to TiVo Central but do NOT go to live TV. Your TiVo will immediately try to tune to 199 and unless you are really fast with the Channel Up/Down key you will enter a loop again. Relax for a minute and then get ready to go to Live TV with a finger poised over the Channel Up/Down key. Select Live TV and start hitting the channel key and hope for the best. If the TiVo loops again repeat the above.

If this works you will still have a problem but it is easy to fix. After a loop and the above fix (if it works) your other tuner may be aimed at channel 199. Start recording a channel with your good tuner, then select a different channel to watch in real time. This should move the second tuner off of 199 with trying to tune 199 first. If you can get both tuners off of 199 then delete 199 (TCM), 61 (QVC), and 266 (Starz something or other) from your guide listing and wait for this mess to be cleaned up. There may be other channels that cause the loop but those are the three I know about.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #1445
nicemann
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibari View Post
I'm having the same problem and it's occurred on various channels -- 712, 710, 715, 19 ... The channel will gray-out for a few seconds, then come back, then gray out again a few minutes later, then come back. It's maddening when you're trying to watch something live, but it's really an issue when you're recording something because when the channel grays out TiVo stops recording and it doesn't re-start when the channel comes back. That's why you end up with partial recordings. This happened three days in a row with the soaps that I tape at noon (on channels 715 & 19) every day--I got partial recordings of anywhere from 2 to 12 min. I didn't know what was going on and happened to be home yesterday during the noon hour and then I saw that the problem was the intermittent graying out.

This is a new problem. I've had the longstanding problem of droppped channels, but they would drop and stay dropped until I rebooted, had Cox send a signal, or swapped out the card. While that problem was very annoying, this problem is worse since it seems to affect more channels and effectively prevents you from being able to reliably record anything. Aaargh!

I would not recommend switching from an m-card to two s-cards. I started out with two s-cards and experienced sever audio-video synch problems that made shows virtually unwatchable. As maddening as my current problems are, that was worse! And don't even get me started on this SDV thing. The only reason I'm not freaking out about that is because I glanced at the affected channel list and didn't see any channels that I normally watch....

Cox tech is coming out tomorrow--I'll report back then. However, I am really fed up with all this and called Tivo just now, demanding compensation. I've paid for a year's service in advance and I'm a little over 8 months into it. They wouldn't give me a retroactive credit but did give me a credit that effectively gives me another year on to my pre-paid contract. Of course, this ensures that I'll stick with the service. But I did say that if my current problem couldn't be resolved I'd be calling back and demanding more--a complete refund of both my service and the cost of the TiVo box would be nice! I love TiVo, but this awful service is ridiculous! And get this, what solution did the tech suggest? Getting service without the cable cards which means you get no channels above 100...which means no HD programming since those are channels in the 700's. Um, I bought an HD TV and HD TiVo specifically so I could get, guess what?! HD PROGRAMMING! I can't believe he even suggested that!

I would definitely recommend that anyone considering TiVo HD not purchase it if they live in an area where Cox and DigitalAtlanta cards is their only option...
Let me know what the tech does for you....I have a truck roll coming out tomorrow. Same issues.
nicemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #1446
jkovach
TiVoing since 1999!
 
jkovach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Gilbert, AZ USA
Posts: 226
I'm in Gilbert, and my Tivo HD has been experiencing severe cablecard issues the past few days too. Mine is NOT in the upgrade loop. It is experiencing frequent channel loss, with symptoms and behavior exactly like Rolow described yesterday. Most programs that I try to record end up with partial recordings, and watching anything live or pre-recorded is next to impossible due to the frequent error messages.

Prior to this, I had to call Cox monthly to send a hit to my card to re-authorize it, as it would expire and not get updated automatically like it should. Other than that, I had no other cablecard or signal issues before this week.

Jeff

Last edited by jkovach : 07-05-2008 at 01:27 PM.
jkovach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:12 PM   #1447
jebbbz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 35th and Bell, Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkovach View Post
I'm in Gilbert, and my Tivo HD has been experiencing severe cablecard issues the past few days too. Mine is NOT in the upgrade loop. It is experiencing frequent channel loss, with symptoms and behavior exactly like Rolow described yesterday. Most programs that I try to record end up with partial recordings, and watching anything live or pre-recorded is next to impossible due to the frequent error messages.
I am not sure these are cablecard problems as I think I have seen people on other forums complain of problems with Cox STBs and DVRs. I am more inclined to think the rollout of SDV has caused system-wide problems.

Quote:
Prior to this, I had to call Cox monthly to send a hit to my card to re-authorize it, as it would expire and not get updated automatically like it should. Other than that, I had no other cablecard or signal issues before this week.

Jeff
This was one of the problems the 0301 firmware upgrade was supposed to have fixed and may have since my SubExpTime was changed to 30 July after the FW upgrade. The upgrade was also supposed to address the loss of channels problem that seemed to involve cable cards losing their authorizations or something such that encrypted channels would be blanked out but local digital rebroadcasts would still come through. Again, for me the firmware upgrade seems to have fixed that (too soon to tell for sure.) Of course, the FW upgrade has introduced the upgrade loop problem that causes a bit of grief to some (like me) and tons of grief to others.

The channel loss that seems to have started on or after 1 July is different from the cable card loss of channels. Now, the signal seems to simply go away and come back. It affects all digital channels, whether encrypted or not. A few times, when I was suffering through such a channel/signal loss I navigated to the TiVos diagnostics screen and ran a channel signal strength test. Sometimes the channel I had been trying to view would show no signal at all, sometimes a very low one but no picture on the diagnostic screen. Other times, the lost channel would pop right up and I could check other channels all showing good channel strength, but when I went back to live TV some or all of the channels I had checked would still be blank. Other times every thing was fine when I went back to live TV.

So, two problems, one related to cable cards, the other perhaps not, tightly linked in our minds because the FW upgrade happened to take place just days before SDV was turned on. Should make for some fun for the people trying to fix them, assuming there are such people.

Last edited by jebbbz : 07-05-2008 at 04:30 PM.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #1448
hddude55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 236
I was beginning to wonder if my TiVo was malfuctioning but it seems my Gilbert neighbors are in the same leaky boat. This is crazy!
hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #1449
jebbbz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 35th and Bell, Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 261
Well, today's mail brings a missive from Cox, labeled "time sensitive." They announce that they will be replacing network equipment in my area to allow more HD channels, On DEMAND, and other stuff. It will take place on two days over the next two weeks and they will call 48 hours in advance to warn me.

There is nothing in the message to suggest this has any relation to our post 1 July problems but I thought I would pass it on so people here in Phoenix metro could watch for it.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #1450
saibari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ahwatukee (Phoenix), AZ
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
Well, that is not completely accurate. You would not lose all channels above 100, instead you would lose the encrypted channels. You would still receive all of the local channels in HD, such as 703, 705, 706, 709, 710, 712, and 715.

I remember having these channels (well, at least the ones that were offered back then in Dec 2006) the first day I got my Series 3 TiVo before I ever got the CableCards. You can even receive these channels in HD just by connecting the cable directly from the wall to your TV without the TiVo.

Dennis
Ok, I'm confused. So you are saying that I don't need to use a cablecard at all with my TiVo-HD? That the cablecard is necessary only for encrypted channels? By encrypted channels, do you mean channels like HBO? That's the only premium channel I get. ... Would I still get channels like Food Network and Bravo?

ALSO, does anyone know where I might find a list of the 77 channels that TiVo users can no longer get due to SDV?
saibari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #1451
saibari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ahwatukee (Phoenix), AZ
Posts: 203
Update on today's Cox tech visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemann View Post
Let me know what the tech does for you....I have a truck roll coming out tomorrow. Same issues.
So when the tech came out today I turned on the set and it obligingly displayed a message indicating error 161-38. The tech scratched his head and said he'd never heard of that one before! He'd also never heard of my most recent problems--channels dropping and then spontaneously coming back, only to drop again a few minutes later (resulting in partial recordings if I'm trying to record something).

He called his sup who talked him through replacing the m-card. All seemed well and he walked out the door. Literally within a minute of his leaving, the channel (HBO) froze and the 161-38 message displayed again! I ran out and luckily the tech had not yet left. He called his sup and was told that nothing could be done today. This, apparently, is a matter for the "Addressability Dept" and they are closed until Monday.

So the tech told me to expect a call from this "Addressability Dept" some time Monday. He said they would troubleshoot from their offices and wouldn't need to send a tech out. When I asked for their number so I could call them if I don't hear from them he said, "Oh, we never give out the number for the Addressability Dept!" So he gave me his sup's number instead.

I am truly reaching the end of my patience with both Cox & TiVo! I'll report back on what I hear from the mysterious "Addressability Dept" ...
saibari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #1452
saibari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ahwatukee (Phoenix), AZ
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post
...If this works you will still have a problem but it is easy to fix. After a loop and the above fix (if it works) your other tuner may be aimed at channel 199. Start recording a channel with your good tuner, then select a different channel to watch in real time. This should move the second tuner off of 199 with trying to tune 199 first. If you can get both tuners off of 199 then delete 199 (TCM), 61 (QVC), and 266 (Starz something or other) from your guide listing and wait for this mess to be cleaned up. There may be other channels that cause the loop but those are the three I know about.
Oh my! You mean I might actually end up experiencing yet another problem in addition to the intermittent dropping channels problem?! I'm not at all sure what is meant by a "firmware upgrade loop," but I definitely want to avoid the problem! Will staying away from channels 199, 61 & 266 help me do that?
saibari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #1453
saibari
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ahwatukee (Phoenix), AZ
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post
I am not sure these are cablecard problems as I think I have seen people on other forums complain of problems with Cox STBs and DVRs. I am more inclined to think the rollout of SDV has caused system-wide problems. ...
According to the Cox telephone tech I spoke to yesterday, they stopped the SDV roll-out shortly after they started it because of problems that ensued. So, since we're continuing to experience difficulties, I assume this means the SDV rollout is not to blame? Or do you think it might've left residual problems?
saibari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #1454
nicemann
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibari View Post
So when the tech came out today I turned on the set and it obligingly displayed a message indicating error 161-38. The tech scratched his head and said he'd never heard of that one before! He'd also never heard of my most recent problems--channels dropping and then spontaneously coming back, only to drop again a few minutes later (resulting in partial recordings if I'm trying to record something).

He called his sup who talked him through replacing the m-card. All seemed well and he walked out the door. Literally within a minute of his leaving, the channel (HBO) froze and the 161-38 message displayed again! I ran out and luckily the tech had not yet left. He called his sup and was told that nothing could be done today. This, apparently, is a matter for the "Addressability Dept" and they are closed until Monday.

So the tech told me to expect a call from this "Addressability Dept" some time Monday. He said they would troubleshoot from their offices and wouldn't need to send a tech out. When I asked for their number so I could call them if I don't hear from them he said, "Oh, we never give out the number for the Addressability Dept!" So he gave me his sup's number instead.

I am truly reaching the end of my patience with both Cox & TiVo! I'll report back on what I hear from the mysterious "Addressability Dept" ...
GREAT.....so I am sure I will have the same problem tomorrow. Having the same issues you are having right now. I am really considering switching to DirecTV because Cox is really starting to tick me off. I just wish they had Tivo. I have to Tivo HD boxes with upgrade harddrives so that is a lot of equipment to moth ball.
nicemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:46 PM   #1455
jebbbz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 35th and Bell, Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibari View Post
Oh my! You mean I might actually end up experiencing yet another problem in addition to the intermittent dropping channels problem?! I'm not at all sure what is meant by a "firmware upgrade loop," but I definitely want to avoid the problem! Will staying away from channels 199, 61 & 266 help me do that?
First, check your cable card firmware version. Towards the end of June, Cisco/Scientific Atlanta distributed an upgrade that was supposed to address a couple of problems. I think it succeded but the upgrade introduced a new one, the upgrade loop. If your cable card firmware version ends in "0301" and you have been watching TV since then you have probably never seen the upgrade loop problem. For now, avoid channels 61, 199, and 266 and you should be OK. Actually, some people got the upgraded firmware and can tune those channels without any problem so if you feel brave...

Your current problem does not, I believe, involve your cable cards. You are losing your digital signal all together, or the signal gets so weak you cannot tune it. This comes and goes with no intervention by you. It will result in lost or partial recordings and interrupted live viewing. The signal may not come back for several minutes or it may come back in a few seconds. Theloss of signal will affect any digital station, encrypted or not, local rebroadcast or cable-originated.

The old loss of channels problem you mention did involve your cable cards. They would get messed up and refuse to let you watch channels but the signal was still coming in to your house. A reboot of the TiVo would reboot the cable cards and they would function OK for days or longer if you were lucky. Cable cards do two things. When you tune a station the cable card checks to see if you subscribe to that channel and if you do it decrypts the scrambled signal so you can watch it. The signal to your house and TiVo had to be good, of course for the cable cards to have anything to work with and before July 1 the signal was OK. Now it is the digital signal itself that seems to be messed up and to come and go. Thus, assuming the firmware upgrade took you may have fixed the loss of channels problem (caused by cable cards not letting you watch) only to suffer the loss of good signal caused by some screw-up by Cox.

I got my firmware upgrade on the 26th of June and I think it fixed my flaky cable card problem but caused the upgrade loop problem. I avoided the latter by staying away from problem channels but after July 1 I began suffering the loss of signal problems. Between June 26th and July 1 I had it petty good.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:43 PM   #1456
Rolow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Peoria,AZ
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibari View Post

ALSO, does anyone know where I might find a list of the 77 channels that TiVo users can no longer get due to SDV?


Quote:
For Cox subscribers in the Phoenix market, here's a list of the channels that are being moved to SDV on 7/1/08, per the letter I received in the mail yesterday:

109 Cox Real Estate 2
110 Daystar
112 INSP
113 EWTN
114 BYU-TV
125 C-SPAN 2
126 C-SPAN 3
133 DIY
144 Fox Reality Channel
155 BET Jazz
156 Great American Country
157 Fuse
158 G4
159 Logo
163 Fit TV
170 Fox College Sports Atlantic
172 Fox College Sports Pacific
173 Fuel
405 TV Chile
410 De Pelicula
411 De Pelicula Clasico
412 CineLatino
413 VeneMovies
417 History en Espanol
418 Discovery en Espanol
422 Discovery Familia
423 TOON Disney en Espanol
424 Boomerang en Espanol
425 Sorpresa
430 MTV Tres
432 Bandamax
433 VideoRola
434 mun2
438 ESPN Deportes
439 Fox Sports en Espanol
440 GoITV
444 CNN en Espanol
445 Canal Sur
449 EWTN Espanol
500 iNDEMAND Previews
601-606 ESPN Game Plan / ESPN Full Court
650 NBA League Pass Preview
651-659 NBA League Pass / MLS Direct Kick
671-684 MLB Extra Innings / NHL Center Ice
840 Public Safety
850 Public Safety
851 Public Safety
853 Public Safety
854 Public Safety
856 Public Safety
857 Public Safety

So far, I have to applaud Cox for selecting channels with limited appeal, and none that are HD. Of course, I know that's the whole idea behind SDV (moving limited appeal channels to it, and leaving the rest alone), but there were rumours that in the Phoenix market the plan was to put everything digital on SDV.

In my case so far, I see no need to get a tuning adapter, even if it is free. I either don't subscribe to most of these channels, or in the exceptionally rare case I need to record something from one I can use my S2 that is still hooked up to a cable box.

Jeff
So is SDV On in any neighborhoods? I'm In Peoria and still get all the SDV channels.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #1457
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 386
Lost channels happening more frequently in Az since firmware update

For those of you who are experiencing the lost channels more frequently in Az since the firmware update, you're not going crazy. The firmware that fixed Vegas' issue has had mixed results for us here in Az. Where previously you'd lose channels once a week or so (and then have to call for a pair/unpair/refresh hit once a month when your subexpire time past), now you're losing channels multiple times a day which is far less easy to live with. The SubExpireTime issue seems to be resovled though.

I've been in touch with some of the Tivo folks on another board and they indicate that they've captured significant log files and have gone back to Cox to get it resolved.

Last edited by BrianAZ : 07-05-2008 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #1458
hddude55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 236
There are similar reports on the AZ HD Forum from guys with Cox HD DVRs. Therefore these latest problems may be unrelated to our 8 month lost channels issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAZ View Post
For those of you who are experiencing the lost channels more frequently in Az since the firmware update, you're not going crazy. The firmware that fixed Vegas' issue has had mixed results for us here in Az. Where previously you'd lose channels once a week or so (and then have to call for a pair/unpair/refresh hit once a month when your subexpire time past), now you're losing channels multiple times a day which is far less easy to live with. The SubExpireTime issue seems to be resovled though.

I've been in touch with some of the Tivo folks on another board and they indicate that they've captured significant log files and have gone back to Cox to get it resolved.

hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:57 PM   #1459
hddude55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 236
I'm on the "residual" problems bandwagon. This latest problem started on July 1, four days after the 0301 card upgrade - and I know that upgrade caused big problems for some users but seemed to go OK on my Tivo. As hard as it to stomach, I believe we have a new mess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibari View Post
According to the Cox telephone tech I spoke to yesterday, they stopped the SDV roll-out shortly after they started it because of problems that ensued. So, since we're continuing to experience difficulties, I assume this means the SDV rollout is not to blame? Or do you think it might've left residual problems?

hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:13 AM   #1460
eochs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 57
upgrade loop happens in NE phoenix as well. I can confirm it on 199, as well as starz channels (261-266) ugh
eochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:59 AM   #1461
Rolow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Peoria,AZ
Posts: 116
So last nights NASCAR race on 726 stopped mid recording twice. The second time the tivo rebooted on its own and has been fine since. I'm setting my second tivo hd that's OTA to record the F1 and Indy Car race as a back up.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #1462
ksalwitz
Registered User
 
ksalwitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Gilbert AZ
Posts: 33
Gilbert az - same channel issues

hi. glad to see i'm not the only one trying to get this resolved in the phoenix area. i'm in gilbert too. I've been having the dropped channel issue. slowly but surely random groups of channels seem to disappear. some of the hd channels come in and some don't. some of the 100+ channels come in and some don't. below 100 i don't get some channels as well. This started as soon as i got my hd tivo & had the cable card installed in March of this year. i would get the error code that everyone else seems to get, then i would get some hd channel issues. when i rebooted it seemed to self-correct. about 6 weeks ago i started losing channels. i had them come out and replace the card (MS) and the tech said something to the effect that the technology wasn't there yet for the cable cards and that this would most likely happen again. well it's has happened again and they're coming out to replace the card again monday 7/7. i checked the firmware version on the diagnostics screen on my tivo and it just has a 1. when i try to run any of the card based diagnostics they all fail as the programs don't seem to be loaded on the card. i'll post tomorrow to give an update.

cheers, Ken


Humax Series 2 Tivo - T800 - Linksys Wireless
Series 2 Tivo TCD54080 - Tivo Wireless
Series 3 HD TCD652160-cable card (MS)-Tivo Wireless
Wireless networked - Linksys WRT54G

Last edited by ksalwitz : 07-06-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: signature
ksalwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:13 PM   #1463
nicemann
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18
Have to say good bye to my TiVo family.

Cox tech came out and replaced the M-Cards and same exact thing is happening again. He had no idea why. Between this, the firmware upgrades that always mess up, and now the SDV...I am giving up on Cox. Going to sign up for DirecTV. Been eleven years with TiVo. Hate to see it go, but I can't deal with the idiots at Cox anymore.
nicemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #1464
nightdesigns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemann View Post
So I was trying to watch my recording of America's Got Talent (yeah no laughs, I know...but I like the show) and guess what Tivo only recorded 4 minutes of it. So OK, just a one time thing. Then I notice another NBC show did the same thing. So I tried to watch NBC live and it kept loosing signal and and coming up channel available. Then I notice each time that happened it made both tuners go to channel 712 (M-Card).

Anyone else have any suggestions?
Mine did the exact same thing. Now I'm stuck in the firmware loop. Tech is scheduled for tomorrow. My wife will be here when the guy does the swap, I told her to visit channel 199 for giggles. That should keep the tech busy.
nightdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #1465
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!
 
Shawn95GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemann View Post
Have to say good bye to my TiVo family.

Cox tech came out and replaced the M-Cards and same exact thing is happening again. He had no idea why. Between this, the firmware upgrades that always mess up, and now the SDV...I am giving up on Cox. Going to sign up for DirecTV. Been eleven years with TiVo. Hate to see it go, but I can't deal with the idiots at Cox anymore.
Good luck with that (for real!).

From what I've seen with my in-law's DirecTV DVR I know I'd hate it. It misses recordings constantly. Their flavor of season pass still requires to to go through and manually set up recordings on many programs.

The in-laws call me when their DVR misses show, and frankly... they call a lot.

If I was going to try out another DVR, the Dish DVR looks slick and seems WAY faster (in the menus etc) than my Tivos ever were.

My S-cards are still going strong so I'll probably stick with 'em as long as I'm with Cox. I sure wish we had FIOS here...
__________________
Shawn
1x S3 Tivo (Fox / ABC) WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x S3 Tivo (CBS / NBC) WD20EURS 2TB upgrade
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:41 PM   #1466
nicemann
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT View Post
Good luck with that (for real!).

From what I've seen with my in-law's DirecTV DVR I know I'd hate it. It misses recordings constantly. Their flavor of season pass still requires to to go through and manually set up recordings on many programs.

The in-laws call me when their DVR misses show, and frankly... they call a lot.

If I was going to try out another DVR, the Dish DVR looks slick and seems WAY faster (in the menus etc) than my Tivos ever were.

My S-cards are still going strong so I'll probably stick with 'em as long as I'm with Cox. I sure wish we had FIOS here...
Hopefully I will not have the same issues. Not sure what model they have. Dish network does not list a HD DVR on their website and when you goto order, the only HD receiver they have to pick from is a non-HD. The whole reason going satellite is to get more HD channels.

Really wish Cox would stop having these problems.

Here's hopping for the best....
nicemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #1467
qunewsguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 23
Taking a quick detour from the Phoenix-area issues, anybody in New England notice any problems with the latest HD additions/digital channel swaps? I was pleasantly surprised to see my TivoHD work fine after they did their major switcharoo.
qunewsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #1468
AZrob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 209
A bit of clarification, please

I have followed all of the recent post-FW upgrade and post-SDV posts and just have a couple of questions:

1. Is the "new" dropped channels issue due to the FW upgrade or the July 1 COX network switch to SDV, or both?

2. Is it true that COX DVR's are also having this loss of channels problem? If so, it would seem to me that the answer to #1 would be that it's caused by COX, not the FW upgrade. But maybe it's an unholy combination of the two.

You know, with the old problem, you knew that at least your non-encrypted channels were safe. Now it appears anything can go out...wonderful...

AZrob
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:15 PM   #1469
jebbbz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 35th and Bell, Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrob View Post
...

1. Is the "new" dropped channels issue due to the FW upgrade or the July 1 COX network switch to SDV, or both?

2. Is it true that COX DVR's are also having this loss of channels problem? If so, it would seem to me that the answer to #1 would be that it's caused by COX, not the FW upgrade. But maybe it's an unholy combination of the two.

You know, with the old problem, you knew that at least your non-encrypted channels were safe. Now it appears anything can go out...wonderful...
Hard to say. SDV has, apparently, been rolled back (channels I lost on July 1 due to SDV have reappeared on the linear channels and I can tune them again) but the problems with lost channels persists. The coincidence in time of the new problems and the roll out of SDV is suspicious but a fairly well informed fellow on another site says he doesn't think SDV was the basic cause. He wrote:
"The engineers are looking a low QAM signal level issues and we hope to know something next week. Even people like me with Cox tuners are losing some HD channels and have to turn the tuner off/on to get them back or wait until they come back themselves."
Cox is also doing some upgrading according to a warning letter I received that said they would call in advance of when my area was to be upgraded and I should count on losing a couple of hours of service.

Some Cox equipment is experiencing the problem but their newest equipment now requires cable cards to operate, just like TiVos so perhaps those with Cox hardware experiencing the channel problems got bad firmware, too.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:06 AM   #1470
Rolow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Peoria,AZ
Posts: 116
What site are you referring to?
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |