TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-03-2008, 09:20 AM   #1411
nightdesigns

Well, I'm now officially suck in the firmware update loop. Joy! Truck roll is scheduled for Monday (that was the soonest after a Tuesday evening call).
nightdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #1412
nemein

Well I called Cox and asked the CSR to add a note to bring out Scards instead of a new Mcard. I guess we'll see what happens next week... If that doesn't work I guess I'll try FIOS before giving up and sending the Tivo back.
nemein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #1413
TheLongshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemein View Post
I'm still trying to digest all the info in this thread so apologies if these questions have been answered already...

I just got an HD Tivo over the weekend and had Cox (NOVA) swap out my DVR for the cable card. The original installer went through 2 of them, I had a second installer out this evening to try a 3rd and I'm still having a problem. Nothing that is associated w/ the "digital tier" works (HD or non-HD). Is the problem I'm having what everyone is experiencing, I'm seeing something else about a firmware loop but it's kind of hard to tell if it's NOVA or Phoenix people who are having that problem. If I'm reading the thread right this is a problem w/ the Mcards Cox is using. So is it all the Mcards or are some working and some aren't? Do people think it's just a matter of time before this issue is worked out or has this been an ongoing issue (or part of a series of issues) that Cox has had w/ the Tivo? Are people that have two Scards, as opposed to the Mcard, having these same problems? Is it even possible to get Scards anymore (although I guess that's really a question for Cox )?

I'm just trying to figure out if I should keep this or send it back and cancel the subscription (have about 25 days now to figure it out )

Thanks

EDIT: I did check the firmware and I'm on the 301.

BTW (and this might not be the right thread) does anyone know if Verizon FIOS is having the same sorts of problems? I'm not dead set on Cox, esp if it doesn't give me everything I'm paying for...
As I said above, I had the same problem and Cox had to install two S-Cards to get things working correctly. But, once they were installed, they worked perfectly. Both M-Cards they had brought didn't bring in the digital tier channels.

I'm in NOVA, BTW.

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #1414
djwilso

I'm also in Phoenix and am experiencing the following problems as of July 1 2008 with my Series 3 that has 2 Scientific Atlanta S-cards.

My S3 has software 9.3a.

When changing channels, the screen stays black for approximately 10 seconds, which is much longer than normal.

If the target channel is unencrypted, after the 10 second delay is over, the channel appears and comes in steady. This is true of local HD channels as well as the SD lower channels.

If the target channel is encrypted (HD or SD act the same), after the 10 second delay is over, the channel appears with audio and a frozen video frame for about 1 second and then everything goes back to black with no audio or video. If I then wait about another full minute, the channel starts to come back in for about the next 20 seconds with video freezes and audio dropouts and finally stabilizes and comes in steady.

Additionally, I also had the experience where even after an encrypted channel had locked and had been coming in steady for about 20 minutes that all of a sudden it started failing and then went back to black again. In the following 5 minutes, it went in and out 4 or 5 times and then finally came back in steady. Even with steady video, the audio kept dropping out for sub-second intervals for another minute until it finally locked in steady. Completely annoying.

If I reboot the TiVo, both tuners work normally with original channel changing performance for at least the first 15 to 30 minutes. Then, the channel changing sluggishness starts again progressively until it reaches a maximum slowness again.

Also of note is that the performance issue seems to come and go by itself independently of tuner. That is, when one tuner is experiencing the sluggishness, the other one acts normally. It's maddening.

Last night when I attempted to view the CableCard CP screen, I received an error about being unable to retrieve an HTML file (can't remember exactly what it said), but today the CP screen does appear, but with mine I am not seeing exactly where the card's firmware version is displayed.

On the CableCard Diag screen, I do see this: "OS Build:2.3.149s2 (0) Mon May 2 2005 1:28:42 PM EDT". It's the same for both cards. Is this the S-Card firmware version? If so, it does not appear to have changed since 2005...

I have not experienced any firmware upgrade screens or the infinite upgrade loops that might accompany them reported by others.

I had assumed that all of this was due to the July 1 rollout of SDV, but many of the posts here are attributing it to a firmware upgrade. I suspect it will somehow turn out to be SDV.

I just wanted everyone to know that S-cards are not immune to this very irritating problem and that getting S-cards, if any are even available, may not correct the problems being experienced.

Dennis
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #1415
p_harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post
FWIW, I checked channel 61 (QVC) and it, like 199 (TCM), causes me the 10 minute firmware upgrade problem. I only have about half the available channels set to show in my Guide so I imagine there are others that would cause the problem, too, if I tuned to them manually.
Same thing happened to me last night on channel 266 in the Starz tier.

When it happens now I just go watch something from the Now Playing list and keep the remote handy. When there's a break in the update loop it'll kick me over to live TV and if I change the channel fast enough I can get back to normal. Minimizes the inconvenience.
p_harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #1416
jebbbz

I don't subscribe to the Starz tier but I keyed in 266 and doing so did not send my TiVo into a tizzy (I saw nothing but the program description, of course.) Presumably, CC checking to see if I subscribe to a channel doesn't cause the problem, actual tuning does. Also, I am starting to have some problems tuning and keeping channels, even local rebroadcasts. ABC took forever to come in.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #1417
Joel47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post
Over of the AVS Forums I got a message from an Ahwatukee resident who says he has no problems with channel 199. In fact, he didn't mention any problems at all. I asked him to check if he has the 0301 upgrade.
That would be me. Haven't had a chance to check the version number (will check tonight), but I didn't say I didn't have any problems. When watching Music Choice (classical music helps my daughter fall asleep), the screen will go grey. I can switch to any other channel and it'll be fine, and it fixes itself a few minutes later. I haven't noticed any other channels with this problem.

Also, last week I lost all the encrypted channels and had to call Cox, so apparently my expire time isn't updating automagically.

All-in-all, it seems like I'm getting off lightly...

Edit: Yes, I have version 0301. I'm also (currently) missing Discovery HD Theater; got home and both tuners were stuck on it with a grey screen. I get the other encrypted stuff, though, so I'll try rebooting once my daughter's show is over.

Last edited by Joel47 : 07-03-2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Added CableCard software version #
Joel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #1418
bowlingblogger

Apologies for the lengthy post...just want to throw my hat into the ring.

I have Cox Digital Cable in Tucson with a TivoHD and I have had the channel-loss problem since I got it in January 08 and required a new cable card every 30-45 days (whether S- or M-cards--same problem with both). 9.3 alleviated, but did not eliminate the problem. A few weeks ago I lost channels right on schedule and called for a new card, but this time a re-authorization, pairing and hit brought back the channels (and my sub expire time was moved back). I was elated at the prospect that from now on I would still lose channels occasionally, but a simple phone call rather than a whole new card would bring things back to normal after reboots stopped working.

I haven't even had the channel-loss problem at all since firmware 301 was installed on my card, but now I have a new problem, as one other poster reported: just about all of my recordings stop a few minutes before the end and they all wind up as partials. It does not start another partial recording where it left off, which is what I thought 9.3 was supposed to make happen. I think the firmware update screwed up my card (or it's just scheduled to die anyway) and I'm getting a new one Monday.

If it's not one thing with this TivoHD, it's been another...

In case anyone's curious, tuning to channel 199 does not mess up my Tivo--I tune TCM as normal. Also, I can still tune all of the channels that were supposedly moved to SDV on July 1. A rep told me yesterday that they hadn't gotten to all neighborhoods yet for the switch, but I'm not sure what to believe.
bowlingblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:51 PM   #1419
Dbax5

Quote:
I'm still trying to digest all the info in this thread so apologies if these questions have been answered already...

I just got an HD Tivo over the weekend and had Cox (NOVA) swap out my DVR for the cable card. The original installer went through 2 of them, I had a second installer out this evening to try a 3rd and I'm still having a problem. Nothing that is associated w/ the "digital tier" works (HD or non-HD). Is the problem I'm having what everyone is experiencing, I'm seeing something else about a firmware loop but it's kind of hard to tell if it's NOVA or Phoenix people who are having that problem. If I'm reading the thread right this is a problem w/ the Mcards Cox is using. So is it all the Mcards or are some working and some aren't? Do people think it's just a matter of time before this issue is worked out or has this been an ongoing issue (or part of a series of issues) that Cox has had w/ the Tivo? Are people that have two Scards, as opposed to the Mcard, having these same problems? Is it even possible to get Scards anymore (although I guess that's really a question for Cox )?

I'm just trying to figure out if I should keep this or send it back and cancel the subscription (have about 25 days now to figure it out )

Thanks

EDIT: I did check the firmware and I'm on the 301.

BTW (and this might not be the right thread) does anyone know if Verizon FIOS is having the same sorts of problems? I'm not dead set on Cox, esp if it doesn't give me everything I'm paying for...
Send it back now! It will not work until the cable card issue is solved. Purchase it again if they ever solve the problem. Don't get screwed like I did.
Right now TivoHD is an absolute joke.
Dbax5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #1420
bacevedo

OK - I had an interesting conversation with a CS rep when I was checking on ordering new service. After getting through all of the different quotes for different services, I asked if it included a digital cable box, because I had a TivoHD and didn't need a box, but would need cable cards. She informed me that she couldn't order cable cards, because Cox is not supporting cable cards as of 7/15 (or something close to that).

After I stopped laughing in my head, I said "just to make sure I am clear, you are telling me that you are not supporting cable cards" and she said "yes". I said "so if I wanted to order a cable card right now, you are telling me you can't" and she said "correct". She said letters went out to everyone last month stating this and I told her if this was true I would have seen posts about it on the internet and I haven't. I asked if she meant about the SDV switch over and she said no, this was something else because the cable cards weren't working and they might eventually send out new cards when they get fixed. After telling her about the firmware update to fix issues, she said that wasn't it either.

Needless to say, I am pretty sure she was confused. However, I wanted to check here and find out if anyone received any other letter besides the SDV letter. I can call back and probably talk to a supervisor if necessary to get a cable card ordered, but honestly, I was not happy paying the price they were going to charge. To get their bundle (and save $38) I had to upgrade my phone and internet, basically making it a wash.

Bryan

Last edited by bacevedo : 07-03-2008 at 06:38 PM.
bacevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #1421
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacevedo View Post
OK - I had an interesting conversation with a CS rep when I was checking on ordering new service. After getting through all of the different quotes for different services, I asked if it included a digital cable box, because I had a TivoHD and didn't need a box, but would need cable cards. She informed me that she couldn't order cable cards, because Cox is not supporting cable cards as of 7/15 (or something close to that).

After I stopped laughing in my head, I said "just to make sure I am clear, you are telling me that you are not supporting cable cards" and she said "yes". I said "so if I wanted to order a cable card right now, you are telling me you can't" and she said "correct". She said letters went out to everyone last month stating this and I told her if this was true I would have seen posts about it on the internet and I haven't. I asked if she meant about the SDV switch over and she said no, this was something else because the cable cards weren't working and they might eventually send out new cards when they get fixed. After telling her about the firmware update to fix issues, she said that wasn't it either.

Needless to say, I am pretty sure she was confused. However, I wanted to check here and find out if anyone received any other letter besides the SDV letter. I can call back and probably talk to a supervisor if necessary to get a cable card ordered, but honestly, I was not happy paying the price they were going to charge. To get their bundle (and save $38) I had to upgrade my phone and internet, basically making it a wash.

Bryan
You spoke to a bad/lazy/ignorant CS rep. They are required by the FCC to support cable cards. If I recall the SDV letter, they make a special mention that the Tuning Resolver is coming out shortly for Tivos. If they were doing away with cablecards, why would the letter specifically mention further supporting Tivos?

A supervisor should immediately tell you the woman you were talking to is an idiot.

Last edited by BrianAZ : 07-03-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: typo
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #1422
djwilso

Quote:
I am a current Phoenix Cox cable card customer, and while I did receive the letter detailing the July 1 2008 switch to SDV (which has not happened for me here yet in north Phoenix), there has been no other letter stating that Cox is no longer supporting the cards or installing new ones.

Why can't we get FIOS in Phoenix? That would be sweet...

Dennis
Old 07-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #1423
nemein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbax5 View Post
Send it back now! It will not work until the cable card issue is solved. Purchase it again if they ever solve the problem. Don't get screwed like I did.
Right now TivoHD is an absolute joke.

W/ the I can't tell if you're serious or not. I mean overall it seems like a nice device, and as mentioned I definitely prefer the UI over the Cox DVR. I mean if better cable cards are on the way I can just wait it out (or maybe switch over to FIOS since there seems to be fewer people complaining about the cable cards associated w/ that). I get most of the channels I watch, just not the HD version of all of them.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #1424
hddude55

Quote:
OK - I had an interesting conversation with a CS rep .. She informed me that she couldn't order cable cards, because Cox is not supporting cable cards as of 7/15 (or something close to that)... However, I wanted to check here and find out if anyone received any other letter besides the SDV letter. I can call back and probably talk to a supervisor if necessary to get a cable card ordered..
An "interesting" conversation? Is that what talking to a fool is? I am as irritated by this cable card insanity as anyone but why in the world didn't you just hang up and call back or ask for a supervisor? We can't be expected to fix these problems but we do have some responsibility to use common sense.
hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:37 PM   #1425
jdavidson

No support for cable cards in PHX

Quote:

After I stopped laughing in my head, I said "just to make sure I am clear, you are telling me that you are not supporting cable cards" and she said "yes". I said "so if I wanted to order a cable card right now, you are telling me you can't" and she said "correct". She said letters went out to everyone last month stating this....
I am very unhappy to report the same story from just this afternoon.

I recently moved here from Dallas (where I never had any troubles using the Verizon FiOS cable cards) and on June 17 I asked the service tech to give me two cable cards for my TivoHD during the installation. He informed me that he had no cards with him, but that I could pick them up at any of the Cox locations.

I finished moving in and went to the local Cox location (Bell Rd & 9th St), where I was informed:
  1. I can only get cable cards installed by a technician, they are never given directly to a customer, AND
  2. Cable cards are no longer available, a letter went out to all customers explaining this just recently, AND
  3. Customers with cable cards are encouraged to come in and get a digital cable box for the same cost as cable cards, AND
  4. The next version of cable cards was due out in the future, but he had NO IDEA when that would be.
The reasons for this change is that the cable cards were going to be updated to "version 2," which was going to be interactive. This is because the current cards had a number of problems, such as they were not interactive, they did not receive PPV channels, they did not allow people to order extra services, and TiVo needed two cards in order to work correctly. (Anyone else notice this is all about their revenue stream?) So no, I could not receive a cable card or have a tech deliver one even if I asked.

He then went on a rant against techs because they (the company, or maybe dunderheads who sit behind a counter like him) send out hundreds of emails on these topics and "How could the techs possibly not know this?" I suggested it might be because they sent hundreds of emails instead of just two.

On the plus side, he discounted my existing digital box and I picked up a second for the discounted price.

On the personal side, my wife is already mad and argumentative because her TiVos are not working, and I've only been home a couple hours. Just wait until the boxes are unpacked and she starts to have some more time to not watch her shows; then it's going to get really bad. Anyone know if Qwest can help me save my marriage?

~ Jeffrey
HD TiVo Series 3 (600 Gigs)
Sony Series 2 (240 Gigs)
Sony Series 2 (80 Gigs)
Sony Series 1 - foolishly given to my sister

jdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #1426
bacevedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55 View Post
An "interesting" conversation? Is that what talking to a fool is? I am as irritated by this cable card insanity as anyone but why in the world didn't you just hang up and call back or ask for a supervisor? We can't be expected to fix these problems but we do have some responsibility to use common sense.

Well, if you read the rest of my post you will see that I wasn't going to order the service anyway, so I didn't care. If I needed to, I would have talked to a supervisor. I have plenty of common sense, thank you.

Bryan
bacevedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:47 AM   #1427
Dbax5

Quote:
W/ the I can't tell if you're serious or not. I mean overall it seems like a nice device, and as mentioned I definitely prefer the UI over the Cox DVR. I mean if better cable cards are on the way I can just wait it out (or maybe switch over to FIOS since there seems to be fewer people complaining about the cable cards associated w/ that). I get most of the channels I watch, just not the HD version of all of them.
Sorry about the should have been . I am definately serious. Wait until this situation is solved. My Cox DVR is performing adequately and I now have On Demand. When the card situation is fixed, I will bring out my TivoHD. What sucks is I still have to pay 12.95 a month until Jan. 1009 because I signed up for a yearly contract when I bought the Tivo. Guess they new that it would not work with Cox cards.
Dbax5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:03 AM   #1428
djwilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavidson View Post
I finished moving in and went to the local Cox location (Bell Rd & 9th St), where I was informed:
  1. I can only get cable cards installed by a technician, they are never given directly to a customer, AND
  2. Cable cards are no longer available, a letter went out to all customers explaining this just recently, AND
  3. Customers with cable cards are encouraged to come in and get a digital cable box for the same cost as cable cards, AND
  4. The next version of cable cards was due out in the future, but he had NO IDEA when that would be.
The reasons for this change is that the cable cards were going to be updated to "version 2," which was going to be interactive. This is because the current cards had a number of problems, such as they were not interactive, they did not receive PPV channels, they did not allow people to order extra services, and TiVo needed two cards in order to work correctly. (Anyone else notice this is all about their revenue stream?) So no, I could not receive a cable card or have a tech deliver one even if I asked.
Wow, what a load of BS!

It's true that Cox Phoenix won't give you cards at their retail stores. This is simply a way for them to force a truckroll at your expense to have a technician come to your house and stick the cards into the TiVo and then call into the office to have them provisioned.

Back when I wanted to get cable cards (Dec 2006), the CS rep told me I could get them at the retail store too, so it would appear that some of Cox's CS reps don't know squat.

It's also true that TiVo Series 3 need 2 cards to work. One for each tuner.

The version 2.0 the guy was talking about was CableCard 2.0. Maybe these will work in a TiVo, but I'm not sure. I am pretty certain that even a CableCard 2.0 would only act as a 1.0 card in a TiVo, however, meaning that no two-way functionality would be enabled due to the hardware design of the TiVo not supporting it.

No letter has gone out stating that cable cards would no longer be available, so that's (bad) news to me and really sucks if it is true. A letter went out stating that Switched Digital Video would be being deployed starting July 1 2008 and that "later in the year" the Tuning Adapter would be provided to cable card customers at no charge to enable them to tune in the channels being moved to SDV.

You can read the SDV letter at this link:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3210027/Cox-Tuning-Resolver

Dennis
Old 07-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #1429
nemein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbax5 View Post
Sorry about the should have been . I am definately serious. Wait until this situation is solved. My Cox DVR is performing adequately and I now have On Demand. When the card situation is fixed, I will bring out my TivoHD. What sucks is I still have to pay 12.95 a month until Jan. 1009 because I signed up for a yearly contract when I bought the Tivo. Guess they new that it would not work with Cox cards.
Since I went whole hog and signed up for the lifetime I'm going to wait it out. As I said I get most of the channels I watch (just not the best version of them) and if it's something that'll be fixed down the road I'd rather keep the nicer interface and other features that come w/ the Tivo. At this point though I think if it doesn't work when they come back out next time I'm just going to cancel Cox and give FIOS TV a try.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:57 PM   #1430
Rolow

So I lost a handful of channels here in Peoria AZ and had to call for a hit. The CSR was nice like every cox crs I've talked to has been. Then she got in to the "we don't know any thing about any problems with cable card" and i almost lost it. I am always calm and polite to the CSR's because my problems aren't there fault but this time my voice started to quiver I was so mad.
I kept my cool and was polite but it lead me to start thinking of canceling my cox service for the first time. My only other option is OTA and it starting to look like a better solution then cox.
So the outages and truck rolls did not put me over the edge it was a CSR telling me she gets 3-4 calls a month about CC and none with the problems I have. F That

Also could you guys update your user control panel to include your location instead of putting it in the post body. It makes it a little easier to tell where your from.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #1431
Rolow

I don't usually watch live tv. Today its been on since my last post and have gotten error code 161-38 at least twice that I've noticed.

The first time I was on 780(hbo) it kicked me back to tivo central. I then went right back to HBO and all was fine.

The second time I was on 712(NBC) it kicked me back to tivo central I then went back to live tv and NBC is still gone. I checked another 25 channels and they where all fine.

So I did a reboot from the Message&Settings menu and ever thing is back to normal.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #1432
Rolow

12 minutes after a reboot I get error 161-38 again while watching channel 712. I guess I should stop watching 712
Old 07-04-2008, 04:33 PM   #1433
Rolow

so I tried 715(ABC) and I did not get a error code just a black screen. I had to switch channels then switch tuners to go back to ABC then both tuners would pick it up. On to 705(CBS) less then 5 min and CBS went out with no error code. Switched channels then switched tuners then went back to CBS and all is fine.

Sorry I'm posting so much just trying to document my problems. Back to cleaning!

Last edited by Rolow : 07-04-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #1434
ftlaud_dj

161-38 and 161-Other ERRORS

Call the local support number, often, there is a major issue and they are not telling the people higher than the call center, demand they escalate to a head end engineer and that the call not stay in the call center. Demand a tracking number for your case and force them to escalate. You do not need new cards, you do not need truck rolls, these are total waste of time, the cards obviously work the rest of the time, there is a thread at the local HD site for Phoenix on this issue as well at: http://www.landlpcservices.com/phpBB2/index.php

FYI, to me this is typically only seen Tuesday and Wednesday nights after 10pm and gone by the morning as if by magic. Some or all tiers go black, rebooting the unit brings them back but at times they pick up on the error codes again in a few minutes.

Cox Phoenix has the system screwed up, if it's a ploy to get people off Tivo and back on their DVR's they are going to be in for a very rude awakening if it turns out to be the case, can we say Anti-Trust?

Miguel
ftlaud_dj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:55 PM   #1435
nicemann

So I was trying to watch my recording of America's Got Talent (yeah no laughs, I know...but I like the show) and guess what Tivo only recorded 4 minutes of it. So OK, just a one time thing. Then I notice another NBC show did the same thing. So I tried to watch NBC live and it kept loosing signal and and coming up channel available. Then I notice each time that happened it made both tuners go to channel 712 (M-Card).

So I tried my other Tivo HD.....same exact thing happened on NBC. Tried channel 12, same thing. 715 and 703 had the same issues. When I try changing channels now it takes several seconds for them to come up.

Called Cox (Phoenix) this morning and they said they don't know of any issues. Got a truck roll on the way Sunday and asked for them to bring S-Cards.

I tried rebooting, unplugging, take the cards out and putting them back in. Nothing works. I have gotten error "161-38" several times.

Anyone else have any suggestions?
nicemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:39 PM   #1436
saibari

intermittent dropped channels

I'm having the same problem and it's occurred on various channels -- 712, 710, 715, 19 ... The channel will gray-out for a few seconds, then come back, then gray out again a few minutes later, then come back. It's maddening when you're trying to watch something live, but it's really an issue when you're recording something because when the channel grays out TiVo stops recording and it doesn't re-start when the channel comes back. That's why you end up with partial recordings. This happened three days in a row with the soaps that I tape at noon (on channels 715 & 19) every day--I got partial recordings of anywhere from 2 to 12 min. I didn't know what was going on and happened to be home yesterday during the noon hour and then I saw that the problem was the intermittent graying out.

This is a new problem. I've had the longstanding problem of droppped channels, but they would drop and stay dropped until I rebooted, had Cox send a signal, or swapped out the card. While that problem was very annoying, this problem is worse since it seems to affect more channels and effectively prevents you from being able to reliably record anything. Aaargh!

I would not recommend switching from an m-card to two s-cards. I started out with two s-cards and experienced sever audio-video synch problems that made shows virtually unwatchable. As maddening as my current problems are, that was worse! And don't even get me started on this SDV thing. The only reason I'm not freaking out about that is because I glanced at the affected channel list and didn't see any channels that I normally watch....

Cox tech is coming out tomorrow--I'll report back then. However, I am really fed up with all this and called Tivo just now, demanding compensation. I've paid for a year's service in advance and I'm a little over 8 months into it. They wouldn't give me a retroactive credit but did give me a credit that effectively gives me another year on to my pre-paid contract. Of course, this ensures that I'll stick with the service. But I did say that if my current problem couldn't be resolved I'd be calling back and demanding more--a complete refund of both my service and the cost of the TiVo box would be nice! I love TiVo, but this awful service is ridiculous! And get this, what solution did the tech suggest? Getting service without the cable cards which means you get no channels above 100...which means no HD programming since those are channels in the 700's. Um, I bought an HD TV and HD TiVo specifically so I could get, guess what?! HD PROGRAMMING! I can't believe he even suggested that!

I would definitely recommend that anyone considering TiVo HD not purchase it if they live in an area where Cox and DigitalAtlanta cards is their only option...
saibari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #1437
Rolow

Does any one know if its possible to go back to the old CC software? I would much rather call once a month and not miss a single recording rather then what I'm dealing with now.

I had not problem with 714,716 and 173. I guess SDV has not been turned on in Peoria yet.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:29 PM   #1438
harma41

I am in the north phoenix area, and I am also stuck in the dreaded "firmware loop". I have been dealing with this issue for the last week, but I have not been home a lot. Sometimes if I restart the tivo, it goes away for a little while.

I have called Cox, but they have no idea what is going on. The CSR did not know that there even was an upgrade issued for the cable cards, or that there were any issues related to that upgrade. Now I have a truck roll coming with a new cable card on tuesday, but I doubt that this will do anything. If that new card has the same firmware as the last card, it will just start to run the upgrade again.

Why don't they just flash the cards ahead of time, so that when they visit a customers site that has this specific issue, they can avoid coming back again. :-(
harma41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:22 PM   #1439
jebbbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma41 View Post
I am in the north phoenix area, and I am also stuck in the dreaded "firmware loop". I have been dealing with this issue for the last week, but I have not been home a lot. Sometimes if I restart the tivo, it goes away for a little while. (
After it goes away for a little while is there some event that triggers it to start again? For me and a few others there are particular channels that trigger the fw loop if we tune to them. Can you be simply watching TV when the loop begins? What are the specific symptoms of your loops?

I ask because as long as I stay away from the danger channels I have no loop problem. If I tune to one the loop starts, continues for five or ten minutes, and, if I am still "tuned" to the bad channel a new loop starts. The black and gray cable company screen appears but periodically i get a TiVo screen and my box responds, sort of, to the remote. If I am at, say, TiVo Central when the loop ends I can avoid a new loop if I switch to live TV and change the channel quickly. It seems that some people are truly stuck in a loop that never gives them a chance to exit.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:31 PM   #1440
nicemann

Great now I don't know if changing the cards out is going to help my problem of getting the 161-38 error and the graying of the 700 channels. I hate looking forward to going to watch a recording and only 3 minutes of it was recorded because the freakn channel cycled or grayed out. Only been happening since about Tuesday. It's now happening day or night, time doesn't matter. I love TiVo but I am really getting tired of Cox. Wish DirectTV had TiVo service.

COX FIX THE PROBLEM!
nicemann is offline   Reply With Quote