TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-21-2008, 12:27 AM   #1351
hddude55

I just received an email from the Cox-Phoenix Corporate Office employee who I spoke to this morning. Here is the relevant information from her follow-up email:

"I have forwarded the information you provided me with to our Interactive Services group. They have reported the following:

************************************************************ *******************************************
We got the software late last week from S-A/CISCO. As with any software, this must go through internal testing to ensure there are no major bugs prior to releasing it (and of course to ensure it does correct the issue grey screen issues). As soon as it is tested successfully we will begin deploying this software to our customers.

More information should be available regarding this software soon as we have just started deploying this to test units.
************************************************************ ********************************************

I was also informed once the software has been tested; it will be automatically downloaded on a wide scale to our cable card customers that have been experiencing loss of channels. At this time, I am not sure when that will be; however, as our Interactive Services group approaches the deployment date information will be sent out to us."
hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #1352
doormat

I think I got this firmware update a while back (5/20) and my Tivo has been working perfectly since. No missing channels, no reboots to get new sub exp date. SA M-Card, Cox Las Vegas.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #1353
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
Go through the CableCARD screens (conditional access should do it) to determine which firmware version you are running. I do not know the exact date it rolled.
I've been advised the Cox of Phoenix has not yet rolled out the latest firmware version that contains the fix. I apologize for the confusion my posting has caused. I was not informed that the firmware update was still pending.

Cox currently expects to be rolling it out to all customers in that area automatically within the next few weeks. I don't want to post a specific date in case there is a delay that prevents them from rolling out to everyone, but you should be seeing it real soon. There is no need to contact Cox to request the update.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #1354
Rolow

Jerry Thanks for keeping us up to date. I hope they roll it out before the 12th other wise I will have to make a call because my subexpiretime is July 12 2:40am gmt

For some reason I missed the last 5-6 posts in this thread
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:40 PM   #1355
tagpats
Tagpats

Jerry, Do you know if the rollout timing will vary depending on where in the country you are located? I'm in Northern Virginia. Although their customer service is generally very good, they aren't too swift when it comes to CableCards or TiVo.
tagpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:25 AM   #1356
whafro

This firmware doesn't fix the lack of channels received by Northern Virginia customers, such as everything in the 720-740 (Discovery HD, Bravo HD, etc) range, right? As I understand from previous posts in this thread, that's just a Cox misconfiguration, not a matter of a firmware bug.

If so, then tagpats, we should coordinate a call-in time and try to get as many folks calling in within 15 mins or so, so they feel it's a common issue :P So far, it just seems like they don't care.
whafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:28 AM   #1357
tagpats
Tagpats

I'm happy to call in on that. I guess I have two issues then. I have accepted the lack of the switched digital HD channels until the tuning adapter comes out and makes those channels available to CableCard customers.

I also still have intermittent trouble with losing channels and having them freeze up on me. This was what I was assuming the firmware fix was all about. I've been successful as of late getting these problems resolved with a reboot, but who knows how much longer before I require a truck roll.
tagpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #1358
whafro

Yeah, apparently the missing "switched" channels aren't actually switched, they just aren't being sent to the CableCards because Cox just doesn't feel like it, according to jfrankin (if I understood those posts correctly).

I don't think I've been experiencing any freezes, but I mainly stick to HD channels, so I wouldn't notice other channels as being "lost." I was hoping that maybe there was a firmware answer to the question of the missing HD channels.

Ah well...
whafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #1359
jebbbz

I turned on my TV this morning to catch the Russia/Spain UEFA semi-final and found a CableCard message (the black and gray screens) telling me a firmware upgrade was in progress. This was 11:30 am local time (I am in Phoenix, AZ). The message cleared fairly quickly and I checked my firmware number and I now have the "301" upgrade. I watched the game and began channel-surfing about 2:00 pm and began getting alerts that a firmware upgrade was in progress (?!?). I got some cryptic CC messages alternating with a blank TiVo background. Eventually I saw a TiVo message that a CC upgrade was in progress and it might take 40 minutes. So, the firmware upgrade is appearing here but I don't yet know how smoothly things are going.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:36 PM   #1360
yroca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post
I turned on my TV this morning to catch the Russia/Spain UEFA semi-final and found a CableCard message (the black and gray screens) telling me a firmware upgrade was in progress. This was 11:30 am local time (I am in Phoenix, AZ). The message cleared fairly quickly and I checked my firmware number and I now have the "301" upgrade. I watched the game and began channel-surfing about 2:00 pm and began getting alerts that a firmware upgrade was in progress (?!?). I got some cryptic CC messages alternating with a blank TiVo background. Eventually I saw a TiVo message that a CC upgrade was in progress and it might take 40 minutes. So, the firmware upgrade is appearing here but I don't yet know how smoothly things are going.
After reading jebbbz's post, I checked my TiVO HD here in Phoenix and saw it was also upgraded to the 301 firmware, so the rollout in Phoenix must be underway. We will see how things go over the next few weeks...
yroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #1361
jebbbz

Well, my firmware upgrade scores 99%. Things seem to work fine unless I tune to channel 199 (TCM). It occurs to me that is what happened at 2:00 pm. I haven't found any other channel that causes the system to report it is upgrading firmware and go crazy in the process. For now, I have deleted 199 from my lineup. I don't want to miss the Euro 2008 finals on Sunday so I don't know if I should try and fix things until Monday when there is likely to be less of a wait if Cox has to roll a truck.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #1362
hddude55

Looks like we MAY have the missing channels bug fixed here in the Phoenix area so we can have a fully functioning TiVo experience for three or four days until sdv deployment and deleted channels on July 1. I'll bet Cox will roll out the tuning resolver with about the same sense of urgency -- hopefully by 2010 or so.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:44 PM   #1363
fracandi
I HATE Cable Cards

What is a SDV?
fracandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:55 AM   #1364
hddude55

Quote:
Originally Posted by fracandi View Post
What is a SDV?
Not sure but I think it's a communicable disease spread by TiVo's.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:57 AM   #1365
p_harper

Quote:
Well, my firmware upgrade scores 99%. Things seem to work fine unless I tune to channel 199 (TCM). It occurs to me that is what happened at 2:00 pm. I haven't found any other channel that causes the system to report it is upgrading firmware and go crazy in the process. For now, I have deleted 199 from my lineup. I don't want to miss the Euro 2008 finals on Sunday so I don't know if I should try and fix things until Monday when there is likely to be less of a wait if Cox has to roll a truck.
Thanks for the tip! Channel 199 has the same effect for me. The M-card in my S3 went nuts tonight with the firmware upgrade while I was flipping through channels and lingered on 199. I rebooted several times to no good effect. A call to Cox had no useful result, though they did schedule a truck roll for Tuesday morning. I was resigned to living with a single tuner for a few days. Now that I've changed the channel both cards are working.
p_harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:59 AM   #1366
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55 View Post
Not sure but I think it's a communicable disease spread by TiVo's.

fracandi, check out this sticky from this sub-forum:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=357703
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #1367
jebbbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_harper View Post
Thanks for the tip! Channel 199 has the same effect for me. The M-card in my S3 went nuts tonight with the firmware upgrade while I was flipping through channels and lingered on 199. I rebooted several times to no good effect. A call to Cox had no useful result, though they did schedule a truck roll for Tuesday morning. I was resigned to living with a single tuner for a few days. Now that I've changed the channel both cards are working.
Not that I want someone else to suffer but mini-misery loves company. While my TiVo was having its nervous breakdown I caught an info screen that seemed to suggest the problem was with frequency 693000 KHz. I am guessing that is Cox 199 here in town but I can't confirm it because I don't want to tune to 199 and then check CC diagnostics to see what its frequency is. If others elsewhere encounter the problem on the same frequency it would suggest a Cisco/SA CC problem. Otherwise I would assume it is something about Cox in Phoenix.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:55 PM   #1368
mstrassel

When do you walk away?

This is the 4th time I have had to have (Phoenix) Cox come out and replace my Scientific Atlanta Cablecard. Every few weeks I suddenly don't get half the channels they are just black. Sometimes I can just reset the Tivo and they come back....but Thursday was the 4th time it would not come back and they have to send a tech out. It started getting a firmware update and when the tech arrived today,Sunday it was still trying. They tried another card....same thing.....and this 4th round I can't watch anything. They actually left saying the supervisor says just wait for the update to finish and it will be fine.....I said I have been waiting for that for 4 days!!!! I called Tivo because they said well maybe you don't have the latest Tivo Software? They confirmed I do....and so begins the never ending saga...Cox blames Tivo, Tivo blames dumb Cox technicians, they both blame Atlanta Scientific for making a lousy card. NOBODY accepts responsibility and NOBODY has an answer on how to fix this. The cable guy came back 30 minutes later and says you know we found this "level" is too high now since we did this system wide firmware and so we dont think cablecards will work until this level is fixed....and since this is a systemwide change they will not be able to fix the level for at least 10 days!!!!! So I will not have cable TV now for at least 2 weeks. I see all sides of this but the bottom line is I have never felt so screwed and mistreated.....on all sides.....They said Tivo works with all cable providers and all cable providers are required to support your Tivo....well it's not happening and I am at the point telling them both what they can do with their service, customer or otherwise. If anyone has a magic answer I would love to hear it otherwise I think I am headed to Barnes and Noble to join a book club.
mstrassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #1369
Rolow

Do you have a tivo series 3 or tivo HD?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:59 AM   #1370
chicodoggy

Arrow firmware ?

It says "not upgrading" under the firmware version on my TiVo hd and I only have copy protection on one of my cable cards. No lost channels for me but I do get audio video sync issues on MTV, vh1 and a few other channels. What's with that?
Old 06-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #1371
Zeigh

Converter or Adapter in Phoenix Area?

Hello,

Does anyone have any valid information concerning the "converter" or "adapter" that Cox Communications has stated will soon be made available to it's customers in the Phoenix area? They recently sent out a letter informing me that a free device of some type would be released to address the Tivo Series 3 technical issues. As typical with Cox Communications Technical Support, nobody knows anything about this issue. They would rather send yet another technician out before escalating my call to someone that actually is knowledgeable about the issue.

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.
Zeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #1372
jebbbz

The item you ask about is a Tuning Adapter, previously known as a Tuning Resolver. It is not intended to fix any problems that would be addressed by a tehnician. When you speak of "technical issues" it sounds like you are having problems -- losing reception, messed up recordings, bad signals, re-boots, whatever. The Tuning Adapter won't fix problems like that.

(The Tuning Adapter is a two-way communication device to allow one-way devices like the Series 3 TiVo and the TiVo HD to send channel requests to the cable company. Currently, all channels are being broadcast over the coaxial cable all the time, even if no one is watching some of them. A technology called Switched Digital Video will enable cable companies to set aside and use, say, 100 channels for requests out of a pool of, say, 300 available program streams. It is a bit like Pay-Per-View and Video On Demand but is different. It allows your TiVo to "telephone" your cable company to request programs."

Last edited by jebbbz : 06-30-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #1373
Rolow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeigh View Post
Hello,

Does anyone have any valid information concerning the "converter" or "adapter" that Cox Communications has stated will soon be made available to it's customers in the Phoenix area? They recently sent out a letter informing me that a free device of some type would be released to address the Tivo Series 3 technical issues. As typical with Cox Communications Technical Support, nobody knows anything about this issue. They would rather send yet another technician out before escalating my call to someone that actually is knowledgeable about the issue.

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
Dr. Z.
The converter or adapter you referring to is a tuning resolver for SDV switched digital video and has nothing to do with what ever problem your having right now with you series 3. There was a list of channels with the letter. Those channels will be moving to SDV and you will need an SDV adapter to tune to those channels. The list of channels in Phoenix are mostly obscure stuff most people won't miss. I'm not sure when there turning on the SDV.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=357703
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=390736

I don't know what your problem is or when it started but tivo/sa released a software update for the SA cable cards and cox phoenix just rolled it out. The up date fixed some problems and created others.
So let us know what the problem is and may be some one can help.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:32 PM   #1374
Rolow

Quote:
The item you ask about is a Tuning Adapter, previously known as a Tuning Resolver. It is not intended to fix any problems that would be addressed by a tehnician. When you speak of "technical issues" it sounds like you are having problems -- losing reception, messed up recordings, bad signals, re-boots, whatever. The Tuning Adapter won't fix problems like that.

(The Tuning Adapter is a two-way communication device to allow one-way devices like the Series 3 TiVo and the TiVo HD send channel requests to the cable company. Currently, all channels are being broadcast over the coaxial cable all the time, even if no one is watching some of them. A technology called Switched Digital Video will enable cable companies to set aside and use, say, 100 channels for requests out of a pool of, say, 300 available program streams. It is a bit like Pay-Per-View and Video On Demand but is different. It allows your TiVo to "telephone" your cable company to request programs."
I must type slow
Old 06-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #1375
jebbbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
I must type slow
Yeah, but you make fewer typos...
Old 06-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #1376
Dbax5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrassel View Post
This is the 4th time I have had to have (Phoenix) Cox come out and replace my Scientific Atlanta Cablecard. Every few weeks I suddenly don't get half the channels they are just black. Sometimes I can just reset the Tivo and they come back....but Thursday was the 4th time it would not come back and they have to send a tech out. It started getting a firmware update and when the tech arrived today,Sunday it was still trying. They tried another card....same thing.....and this 4th round I can't watch anything. They actually left saying the supervisor says just wait for the update to finish and it will be fine.....I said I have been waiting for that for 4 days!!!! I called Tivo because they said well maybe you don't have the latest Tivo Software? They confirmed I do....and so begins the never ending saga...Cox blames Tivo, Tivo blames dumb Cox technicians, they both blame Atlanta Scientific for making a lousy card. NOBODY accepts responsibility and NOBODY has an answer on how to fix this. The cable guy came back 30 minutes later and says you know we found this "level" is too high now since we did this system wide firmware and so we dont think cablecards will work until this level is fixed....and since this is a systemwide change they will not be able to fix the level for at least 10 days!!!!! So I will not have cable TV now for at least 2 weeks. I see all sides of this but the bottom line is I have never felt so screwed and mistreated.....on all sides.....They said Tivo works with all cable providers and all cable providers are required to support your Tivo....well it's not happening and I am at the point telling them both what they can do with their service, customer or otherwise. If anyone has a magic answer I would love to hear it otherwise I think I am headed to Barnes and Noble to join a book club.
I have same problem with Cox. Upgrade has been going on for 5 days now. Cox supervisor brought 5 cable cards out to the house. None work. They don't know what is wrong. Can't even get through to Tivo support. Twenty minute wait. I am fed up. Dumping the Tivo in the trash. When it works I love it, but this is ridiculous. Why don't Cox technicians read this board? They know nothing. The supervisor knew nothing.
Dbax5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #1377
Kershek

Can you dump it in my trash instead?
Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #1378
jebbbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershek View Post
Can you dump it in my trash instead?
I realize you are joking a bit but do you have a Series 3 or HD already and is it functioning with digital cable and cablecards? I am curious whether it is all or most Cox TiVo users having the problem or only a few. If the latter, where in Phoenix metro? I count about a half dozen Phoenix people with firmware upgrade problems, I am at 35th and Bell and have a milder version of the firmware problem -- as I noted above I only have problems if I tune to Cox channel 199 and after about five minutes my TiVo becomes usable again although I avoid channel 199 or I have the problem again.

If p_harper sees this, please post if your scheduled Tuesday truck roll fixes the problem. Some people have a more serious problem where their cabl cards never update even after days and even after cable card replacements.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #1379
Kershek

I'm sorry for making light of your situation. Yes, I have a TiVoHD here in Mesa with an M-card. For the first month or two I had issues with it losing channels and having to reboot it, and I've had to ask for a couple of hits. It was annoying, but I was expecting the problem to get fixed sooner or later, and I had a series 2 upstairs recording the same things to pick up the slack in case the HD lost channels. However, that problem seems to have gone away in the past couple of months and it's been working great I just recently returned from being out of state for 3 weeks and it recorded everything without a hitch. The only exception is a partial recording of Doctor Who last Friday, but I couldn't figure out why.

I haven't tried to go to channel 199, so I don't know if I have problems with it. I'd rather not tempt fate if what you say is true
Kershek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:38 AM   #1380
jebbbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershek View Post
I'm sorry for making light of your situation...
Don't be sorry, I didn't think you were being offensive (besides, it was Dbax5 who was thinking of dumping his TiVo as his seems T-Totally F'd -- mine works fine if I avoid TCM until the problem is fixed). I just wasn't sure if your comment meant you had yet to get a TiVo S3 or HD so I was being tentative in asking if your upgrade had gone smoothly.

Since the 0301 firmware upgrade I haven't had any loss of channels (the old main problem) but a few months ago I noticed that my HD was noticing the loss of channels and fixing them itself -- some sort of TiVo software upgrade I figured. I saw my channels disappear and then come back without my having to reboot or do anything. That may explain the improvement you saw as I think I only had a single recording affected in the last couple of months. Perhaps your Dr. Who problem arose during the CC firmware update -- it seemed to just happen on Friday without concern for scheduled recordings.

I also noticed that my SubExpTime had changed witjout my having to call Cox and tell them I was still a subscriber. My old date was July 9 but today I checked and it had been set to July 30. I'll have to wait until then to see if it updates at the end of the month.