Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2008, 08:23 PM   #1321
malogus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT View Post
I'll add this again...

I'm on Cox, I'm in Phoenix. I have 2x SA S-Cards in a S3.

I'm not having these problems. This tells me Cox is doing something wrong out there!
I'm still not sure you can place the blame directly on Cox, I think it's more of a Tivo issue.

In my case, I have an S3 in my main viewing room, and a TivoHD in the bedroom. The S3 has 2 S-cards, the HD has 1 M-card. The S3 never drops channels, but has alot more pixelation issues. The TivoHD drops channels once a month, but never has any pixelation problems. I think the dropping channels has to be a Tivo issue with the firmware, otherwise why doesn't my S3 drop? And my HD only drops once a month based on the expire time, which makes me lean towards tivo firmware as well. But I guess it could always be a Cox problem in resetting that expire time maybe?

BTW, I'm in Chandler also.
malogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:47 PM   #1322
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by malogus View Post
In my case, I have an S3 in my main viewing room, and a TivoHD in the bedroom. The S3 has 2 S-cards, the HD has 1 M-card. The S3 never drops channels, but has alot more pixelation issues. The TivoHD drops channels once a month, but never has any pixelation problems. I think the dropping channels has to be a Tivo issue with the firmware, otherwise why doesn't my S3 drop? And my HD only drops once a month based on the expire time, which makes me lean towards tivo firmware as well. But I guess it could always be a Cox problem in resetting that expire time maybe?
You have two different kinds of cards running two different version of SA firmware. I could certainly believe it's a Cox/SA problem with that configuration.

If the card isn't getting an updated expire time, I'd think it's more on the cable company/cablecard side. The host device doesn't have much to do with card authorizations. That's all out of band messaging between the headend and the card. As long as the tivo is passing a valid OOB signal, it's then up to the headend to send the right messages, and the card to process them properly.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #1323
Pafrican

Cox Phoenix SDV Not all that Horrible.

Just got a letter from Cox (Phoenix) about SDV and how it will go live July 1st 2008.

First up, is the note at the bottom of the letter to Tivo HD/Series 3 owners (emphasis done by me):
Cox, along with others in the cable industry, has worked with TiVo Inc to develop an external device called a Tuning Adapter that will allow TiVo Series 3 and TiVo HD devices using CableCARDs to access channels delivered via SDV. Availablity of the Tuning Adapter is expected later this year. That that time additional information will be sent to you. The Tuning Adapter will be provided by Cox at no charge.
Second is the lineup of SDV channels. I'm okay with most of these as NO HD CHANNELS are on the list.

A few of the variety and sports tiers. Most of the hispanic tier. And the Sports Season passes.

Nothing missed here.

Also, for the next 6 months Cox Arizona people using a CableCard can get an HD Cable Box for $2/month for the next 6 months.
Pafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:02 PM   #1324
jshore

Greetings from Litchfield Park, AZ (the western part of the Valley).

Coupla notes that may or may not be of interest.

I received the Cox letter, too. Glad to see the tuning adapters will be no charge.

As far as missing channels, here's what i encounter: on my two Series 3 machines (each with two single-tuner SA cable cards) - rarely have channels drop out or go "black." Occasional pixelation and audio dropouts when changing HD channels.

But with my HD Tivo in the guest bedroom, I have occurrences where all digital channels other than local HD would go black. I call Cox and usually having them re-pair the multi-stream SA card works. But last time it wasn't working until the guy did what he called an "H" hit which re-authorizes the cards. So if you ever find a normal "hit" or re-pairing doesn't fix the issue, before they roll a truck see if you can reach a CSR who can do an "H" hit to solve the issue.
jshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #1325
gwsat

Thanks for the report about Cox’s letter concerning an “external device” that will allow TiVo S3 HD DVRs to receive SDV channels. So far, Cox OKC has not added any SDV channels, so I am not surprised that we didn’t receive such a letter. The news that it won’t be available until “later this year” is a little scary, though.
gwsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #1326
OrangeKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid View Post
Guided setup does not appear to be necessary.

Tomorrow (June 1) I will go through all the HD channels to confirm that I receive those that I am entitled to.
Today after the changeover I was still getting my HD channels on the old numbers. A restart of the S3 Tivo solved that issue. Now all my HD programming shows up at the corect channels. The only issue I have remaining is that the Tivo (Tribune) program guide seems to be incorrect for the three premium channels I subscribe to (HBO HD, Cinemax HD and Starz HD). I hope Tivo (Tribune) straighten out the programming.
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #1327
jfranklin
CSR, Cox Hampton Rds

So those of your in NoVA don't think I completely forgot, I just wanted to let you all know that as of yet I've gotten just a hair to the right of nowhere. Every response I have gotten directly or indirectly from those in charge in your part of the world within Cox has been classic marketing speak. Which I expected from the corporate people, but not the technical people.

Sadly what I'm being told is that since NoVA has already launched SDV their CableCARD lineup is different. When I restate that the channels I am concerned about are not being delivered via SDV the communications from the person I was getting information from promptly stops.

At this point, as much as I hate to say it as this does not help those that have cards directly in their TVs (yet), I think the only relief you're going to see is going to be by way of the Tuning Adapter.

I haven't given this up, just doesn't look good.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer
jfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #1328
doormat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pafrican View Post
The Tuning Adapter will be provided by Cox at no charge.
Thats what I wanted to hear - hopefully its a nationwide thing.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:42 PM   #1329
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

I got the letter today.

I think the STB for $2/mo is a ploy to get us addicted to On Demand .

I'll probably get one.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #1330
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranklin View Post
So those of your in NoVA don't think I completely forgot, I just wanted to let you all know that as of yet I've gotten just a hair to the right of nowhere. Every response I have gotten directly or indirectly from those in charge in your part of the world within Cox has been classic marketing speak. Which I expected from the corporate people, but not the technical people.

Sadly what I'm being told is that since NoVA has already launched SDV their CableCARD lineup is different. When I restate that the channels I am concerned about are not being delivered via SDV the communications from the person I was getting information from promptly stops.

At this point, as much as I hate to say it as this does not help those that have cards directly in their TVs (yet), I think the only relief you're going to see is going to be by way of the Tuning Adapter.

I haven't given this up, just doesn't look good.
thanks for the efforts Jody. Hopefully that adapter will be out this summer and it will indeed be free like in AZ.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 PM   #1331
eochs

Quote:
Just got a letter from Cox (Phoenix) about SDV and how it will go live July 1st 2008.

First up, is the note at the bottom of the letter to Tivo HD/Series 3 owners (emphasis done by me):
Cox, along with others in the cable industry, has worked with TiVo Inc to develop an external device called a Tuning Adapter that will allow TiVo Series 3 and TiVo HD devices using CableCARDs to access channels delivered via SDV. Availablity of the Tuning Adapter is expected later this year. That that time additional information will be sent to you. The Tuning Adapter will be provided by Cox at no charge.
Second is the lineup of SDV channels. I'm okay with most of these as NO HD CHANNELS are on the list.

A few of the variety and sports tiers. Most of the hispanic tier. And the Sports Season passes.

Nothing missed here.

Also, for the next 6 months Cox Arizona people using a CableCard can get an HD Cable Box for $2/month for the next 6 months.
I have not gotten the letter in Phoenix... Can you tell us the channel numbers or names?
eochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 01:05 PM   #1332
Rolow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eochs View Post
I have not gotten the letter in Phoenix... Can you tell us the channel numbers or names?
Here is a quote rom this thread
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...357703&page=54

Quote:
For Cox subscribers in the Phoenix market, here's a list of the channels that are being moved to SDV on 7/1/08, per the letter I received in the mail yesterday:

109 Cox Real Estate 2
110 Daystar
112 INSP
113 EWTN
114 BYU-TV
125 C-SPAN 2
126 C-SPAN 3
133 DIY
144 Fox Reality Channel
155 BET Jazz
156 Great American Country
157 Fuse
158 G4
159 Logo
163 Fit TV
170 Fox College Sports Atlantic
172 Fox College Sports Pacific
173 Fuel
405 TV Chile
410 De Pelicula
411 De Pelicula Clasico
412 CineLatino
413 VeneMovies
417 History en Espanol
418 Discovery en Espanol
422 Discovery Familia
423 TOON Disney en Espanol
424 Boomerang en Espanol
425 Sorpresa
430 MTV Tres
432 Bandamax
433 VideoRola
434 mun2
438 ESPN Deportes
439 Fox Sports en Espanol
440 GoITV
444 CNN en Espanol
445 Canal Sur
449 EWTN Espanol
500 iNDEMAND Previews
601-606 ESPN Game Plan / ESPN Full Court
650 NBA League Pass Preview
651-659 NBA League Pass / MLS Direct Kick
671-684 MLB Extra Innings / NHL Center Ice
840 Public Safety
850 Public Safety
851 Public Safety
853 Public Safety
854 Public Safety
856 Public Safety
857 Public Safety

So far, I have to applaud Cox for selecting channels with limited appeal, and none that are HD. Of course, I know that's the whole idea behind SDV (moving limited appeal channels to it, and leaving the rest alone), but there were rumours that in the Phoenix market the plan was to put everything digital on SDV.

In my case so far, I see no need to get a tuning adapter, even if it is free. I either don't subscribe to most of these channels, or in the exceptionally rare case I need to record something from one I can use my S2 that is still hooked up to a cable box.

Jeff

Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:27 AM   #1333
hddude55

Quote:

Nothing missed here.

Say what? My letter from Cox didn't say anything about a $2/month HD cable box for 6 months.
hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #1334
jebbbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55 View Post
Say what? My letter from Cox didn't say anything about a $2/month HD cable box for 6 months.
Did you get only one letter? There were two letters, one regarding PPV and VoD, the other announcing SDV. I pitched the first letter without reading it carefully but it might not have made reference to the $2.00/month STB. The second SDV letter does mention the STB deal and that may be intended as an interim solution for TiVo owners to get by until the Tuning Adapter comes out as well as to serve as a marketing tool to get TiVo owners to try PPV and VoD which won't be available via the TA.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:18 AM   #1335
Supermurph

Quote:
It was at the bottom, almost like a "PS". So, you might have missed it. I've been frustrated with Cox at times, but I have second the idea that Cox seems to be handling this well so far in Phoenix. The letter was very clear and detailed and they seem to be doing the right thing by choosing channels with limited appeal and by offering the cheap box as an interim solution to the Tuning Adapter.

I have a regular digital box in my bedroom and have OnDemand there. No danger of getting hooked on it over Tivo . . . . trust me.
Supermurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:54 AM   #1336
hddude55

Update on dropped channel issue in Phoenix area?

I'm in Gilbert and cannot get non-local channels back tonight on the slot 1 card even after several reboots and two hits by Cox CSR's, so a truck will roll tomorrow with a new card for my series3. Lately the card in slot 1 always seems to be the culprit, perhaps because it does the lion's share of the work. I notice far less posts on this topic in the past few weeks. Is it because you are having less problems, or are you like me and have simply gotten tired of discussing what seems like a problem that will never be fixed by SA/Cox/TiVo.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #1337
Zonie65
Taking the plunge

Quote:
I'm in Gilbert and cannot get non-local channels back tonight on the slot 1 card even after several reboots and two hits by Cox CSR's, so a truck will roll tomorrow with a new card for my series3. Lately the card in slot 1 always seems to be the culprit, perhaps because it does the lion's share of the work. I notice far less posts on this topic in the past few weeks. Is it because you are having less problems, or are you like me and have simply gotten tired of discussing what seems like a problem that will never be fixed by SA/Cox/TiVo.
Hasn't gone away for me. I even told the last tech when he would be back out. After he installed my last M-Card, I looked at the SubExpire date and time and it was June 14th, 5:36pm. Guess when I dropped most of my channels...you guessed it. This time 2 hits wouldn't do it so I have a truck roll scheduled. At least the CSR told me they all just got training on this issue and the direction is to hit it with a Unpair/Pair and if that doesn't work to then roll a truck. I kept asking each new CSR about this H-Hit and they all said it doesn't work with Tivo's, and the only signal they use is the unpair/pair. Fine, roll another truck for me....
Zonie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #1338
jebbbz

Nothing has changed for me since the 9.3 update which seems to include "auto-repair" of the loss-of-channels problem. I rarely notice the problem now (but of course want it tracked down and truly fixed). I have only had one recording spoiled as a consequence but given the WGA strike and the time of year my To Do List is pretty empty. I have had the SubExpire problem pretty much monthly but so far it has alaways been fixed with a phone call. My current single MCard (I have a TiVo HD) has been here since February 25, my last truck roll and only one since the original installation roll.

Given how much it costs Cox to roll a truck I doubt they are ignoring the problem but all they can do is pressure Cisco/SA to get it fixed. TiVo already has a lot of incentive to get things fixed since proportionately this is a much bigger problem for them than it is for the CC manufacturer.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #1339
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

re: loss of channels in Cox Cable markets

Hello all,

I've been given some information to pass along regarding customers experiencing a loss of channels in Cox Cable markets. I'd been posting occasionally about the issue on the TiVo Help Forum and am looking around TCF to see where else this info might be useful.

TiVo has been working with Cox Cable and Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) for quite awhile to develop a fix. As a result of the investigation, Cox has released a new version of Cisco firmware (PKEY1.1.12_F.p.0301) which seems to have solved the problem.

TiVo has also spoken to some of the customers who had experienced the issue and confirmed that it has been solved. We know it's been a long road while this was being worked on and we truly appreciate the help we get from our subscribers in resolving issues like this.

Thank you for standing by us and having faith that a resolution would be reached.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #1340
tagpats
Tagpats

Thanks for the information! Do you know when the fix rolled out? How do we know if it has been updated?
tagpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:53 PM   #1341
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Go through the CableCARD screens (conditional access should do it) to determine which firmware version you are running. I do not know the exact date it rolled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:18 PM   #1342
Rolow

Ok mine is at PKEY1.1.12_F.p.0103 does that just mean they haven't sent the update yet or do I have to call cox?
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:31 PM   #1343
TheLongshot

Does this fix the problem I had with the SA M-Card where it wouldn't recognize the digital channels and the non-local HD channels? Because that is what Cox spent a couple hours trying to fix last weekend when they finally gave up and put in a couple of S-Cards.

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 PM   #1344
hddude55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
Ok mine is at PKEY1.1.12_F.p.0103 does that just mean they haven't sent the update yet or do I have to call cox?
I hope this is real after 8 months of waiting. I currently have a card in slot 1 of my series 3 with OS Ver: PKEY1.1.12_F.p.0103 and this card is one that has been losing channels -- in fact I have had at least two or three cards swapped in slot one for that problem. The card in slot two has worked like a champ for many weeks and it says OS Ver: 01.04.01. That seems odd, but perhaps I currently have one single stream and one dual stream and they have different firmware or something of the sort. Oh well, I am sick of thinking, writing and experiencing over 8 months of this idiotic issue, so count me as a skeptic until the solution is rolled out to my two cards.

I just called Cox Phoenix and talked to first and second level support. They were both totally unaware of any released fix nor how to get it. As for Jerry thanking all of us for standing by them and having faith in them, I almost choked on my Pepsi. Hell will freeze over before I buy another High def TiVo and I do my best to discourage others from buying one. But even though I'm a bad boy, I am a customer who has spent a lot of dough on TiVo hardware and service plans for four series 2's and this piece of crap series 3. It's about time someone got off their rear and fixed this problem.

Last edited by hddude55 : 06-20-2008 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:02 AM   #1345
tagpats
Tagpats

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
Go through the CableCARD screens (conditional access should do it) to determine which firmware version you are running. I do not know the exact date it rolled.

Thanks. I'm using 2 SA Single Stream Cards, so maybe that is my issue. It is telling me that my firmware version is simply "1". My CableCard menus are different now that I was forced to switch from an M Card to the S Cards. I guess I'll just wait to see if I have continued problems.
tagpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #1346
jebbbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
For those who can't find it on the "CA" screen, on my TiVo HD with a single MCard the info is located on the first page of the "SA CableCARD Diag Screen," about 3/4 of the way down. I still have the 0103 version but I will check it periodically.

Is the SubExpTime not updating fixed with this FW update?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:15 PM   #1347
moyekj

Quote:
As for Jerry thanking all of us for standing by them and having faith in them, I almost choked on my Pepsi. Hell will freeze over before I buy another High def TiVo and I do my best to discourage others from buying one. But even though I'm a bad boy, I am a customer who has spent a lot of dough on TiVo hardware and service plans for four series 2's and this piece of crap series 3. It's about time someone got off their rear and fixed this problem.
Switch to Coca Cola and chill out dude. Seriously though, TivoJerry has no obligation to post anything here but continues to do so despite backlashes such as this one. I understand this issue has been extremely frustrating, but the anger should be directed towards Tivo the company, not at an individual that is working hard and going out of his way to make things right.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:40 PM   #1348
hddude55

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Switch to Coca Cola and chill out dude. Seriously though, TivoJerry has no obligation to post anything here but continues to do so despite backlashes such as this one. I understand this issue has been extremely frustrating, but the anger should be directed towards Tivo the company, not at an individual that is working hard and going out of his way to make things right.

When I call T-Mobile, I usually get at least two or three "happy talk" questions and I'm sure some customers really like it. I realize this is scripted but I find it to be annoying and a waste of my time. I also find it annoying when a TiVo employee thanks all of us who have had this problem for 8 months for our faith and trust in his company. After 8 months of this garbage the last thing I have is faith and trust in Cox, TiVo and Scientific Atlanta engineers.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #1349
wierdo

Quote:
When I call T-Mobile, I usually get at least two or three "happy talk" questions and I'm sure some customers really like it. I realize this is scripted but I find it to be annoying and a waste of my time. I also find it annoying when a TiVo employee thanks all of us who have had this problem for 8 months for our faith and trust in his company. After 8 months of this garbage the last thing I have is faith and trust in Cox, TiVo and Scientific Atlanta engineers.
I think you're getting too much sun and it's making you irritable. Of course, I'd also be irritable if I was dealing with 110 degree heat.
wierdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #1350
jebbbz

Quote:
... I also find it annoying when a TiVo employee thanks all of us who have had this problem for 8 months for our faith and trust in his company. After 8 months of this garbage the last thing I have is faith and trust in Cox, TiVo and Scientific Atlanta engineers.
I have had the problem since January but I am inclined to blame Cox and Cisco/SA. As I have said before, this seems to have been a pretty small problem for them as TiVo customers are such a small percentage of their customers but a big problem for TiVo as TiVo customers are such a big percentage of their customers (like, 100%). Little problem for Cox/Cisco means low priority for them. Much bigger problem for TiVo means higher priority for them, but without help from Cox/Cisco TiVo can't do much. As TiVo has CableLabs certification, as does Cisco, I assume the specifications are insufficient to prevent hardware/software conflicts.