TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2008, 02:22 PM   #1291
JayBird

Lost channels yesterday

I have Cox in Gilbert, AZ.

Yesterday all but the local broadcast channels went black. Rebooting and all other tricks I've read about didn't fix it. I called Cox to have them "hit" the cable card, and that didn't work either. Finally the CSR unpaired and repaired the card, and then it started working again. The CSR acted like he gets calls about TiVo cable card issues all the time.

One interesting thing to note was that after he repaired the card, although I could tune channels just fine if I go to Live TV, if I went to the Test Channels page in the cable card menu, it would say I don't have any channels and wouldn't let me "test" any channels. It took 10-15 minutes before the Test Channels menu would acknowledge that I had channels, even though I clearly could tune channels using Live TV. Strange...

- Jay
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 04:22 PM   #1292
JayBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
I'm in Gilbert, AZ, and I have digital cable, internet, and digital telephone, all from Cox. Since I have all 3 services, I've been getting a "digital home pak bundle discount" of $32.90 off my bill each month.

So recently I turned in my old cable box for cable cards - 1 M-Card for my new TiVo HD, and 1 S-Card for my Pioneer plasma TV.

And then I get my next bill...

1. The charge for the "digital gateway service" went from $5.00 to $7.00 (not sure why this was increased by $2.00 - anybody know?).
2. The charge for the old cable box of $6.00 is gone, but is replaced with a charge of $4.00 for the two cable cards (this I expected).
3. I was charged for 3 cable card installations, even though they only installed 2 cards (this doesn't surprise me, since the CSR who took my order insisted I needed 2 cards for the TiVo, for a total of 3 with the TV, and wouldn't listen to any arguments to the contrary when I tried to explain that I actually only needed one M-card for the TiVo HD).
4. But here's the real kicker... they eliminated my "digital home pack bundle discount", so now to use cable cards instead of Cox's box, I'm paying an additional $32.90 a month.

Is there anybody else who has all 3 services who also got screwed by this when they switched to cable cards, or is this just an error on Cox's part that can be corrected?

Would requiring to have their box to get the discount be in violation of the FCC rules regarding my choice to use cable card devices in leiu of their box?

Would this be considered an anti-cable card scam?

I want to be armed with all the info I can get before I call Cox to dispute the charges on my bill.
Just an FYI... I finally got things straight with Cox.

The increase from $5 to $7 for the digital gateway service was because they are now providing digital service to two devices instead of one (originally it was just to the old cable box, now it's to the TiVo and to the TV, both of which have a cable card). They call this a "per outlet" charge, but any argument that it's all connected to one wall jack (i.e. one "outlet") doesn't get you anywhere. It's really a "per device" charge, not a "per outlet" charge. I guess I can live with that...

The $4 per month for the two cable cards was as I expected, so no problem there.

After explaining that they actually only installed 2 cable cards, and that I was only being billed for two on a monthly basis, they credited me the install charge for the 3rd cable card.

And, after arguing that I still have all three services (cable, internet, and phone), I convinced them that I still qualified for the "digital home pak bundle discount". The CSR seemed certain there must have been a good reason it was originally removed, but when he couldn't come up with a reason why, he ultimately credited me for the additional charges and reinstated the discount.

In the end that knocked over $70 off my bill this month, and reduced the ongoing monthly bill back to the same as it was before I switched from the box to the cable cards. It actually ended up that my ongoing monthly charges will be exactly the same as it was before, as the $2 extra for the "digital gateway service" plus the $4 for the two cable cards was offset by saving $6 by getting rid of the cable box.

Bottom line... if anything doesn't look right on your bill, it definately pays to make a call and get it all sorted out. By default, I assume they will screw it up every time, and I watch my bill closely every month.

Now... I wonder what mess they will make of it all when we want to add 3 additional phone lines (switching my existing office and fax lines from Vonage, and adding one more office line for my wife)... I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, as we probably won't be making that transition for another month or two.

- Jay
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #1293
hddude55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
I have Cox in Gilbert, AZ.

... The CSR acted like he gets calls about TiVo cable card issues all the time.

- Jay
I live in Gilbert, too, and may be a reason the CSR acted like he gets these calls all of the time. I probably call them at least twice a month -- ever since the missing channels issue started in Nov 2007. Now if I could only explain why I haven't put my series3 on Ebay and rented a Cox HD box. At least the Cox box works even if the software is TiVo-Ultralite.
hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #1294
Rolow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55 View Post
I live in Gilbert, too, and may be a reason the CSR acted like he gets these calls all of the time. I probably call them at least twice a month -- ever since the missing channels issue started in Nov 2007. Now if I could only explain why I haven't put my series3 on Ebay and rented a Cox HD box. At least the Cox box works even if the software is TiVo-Ultralite.
I feel sorry for you series 3 guy it sounds like your problems are worse then us TiVo hd guys. Let's be honest you really don't want to pay $23 dollars a month for a Cox hd DVR do you? My SA 8300 missed recordings way more then the TiVo.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 11:59 PM   #1295
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

I'll add this again...

I'm on Cox, I'm in Phoenix. I have 2x SA S-Cards in a S3.

I'm not having these problems. This tells me Cox is doing something wrong out there!
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #1296
hddude55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT View Post
I'll add this again...

I'm on Cox, I'm in Phoenix. I have 2x SA S-Cards in a S3.

I'm not having these problems. This tells me Cox is doing something wrong out there!
No kidding. Most of us in the Mesa-Gilbert-Chandler area know the dropped channels issue first arose late last year on or about the same time Cox upgraded its systems in this geographic area, and unless one believes in a huge coincidence, that suggests something about the Fall 2007 Cox upgrade conflicts with the SA cards. Cox knows this, too. They don't even bother trying to point the finger at TiVo anymore. Yet, no one seems to have a time frame for a fix -- after six months!
Old 05-27-2008, 06:07 PM   #1297
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
No kidding. Most of us in the Mesa-Gilbert-Chandler area know the dropped channels issue first arose late last year on or about the same time Cox upgraded its systems in this geographic area, and unless one believes in a huge coincidence, that suggests something about the Fall 2007 Cox upgrade conflicts with the SA cards. Cox knows this, too. They don't even bother trying to point the finger at TiVo anymore. Yet, no one seems to have a time frame for a fix -- after six months!
Well, if it helps any they are upgrading my area today and tomorrow. It's something to do with HD channels and the on-demand functionality. I had an overnight outage about a month ago that they blamed on upgrades as well.

I 'just' lost all of my HD channels besides the locals. I'm not getting anything that says my cards aren't authorized, it's like the channels are broadcasting black screens.

I re-booted and it's same same. I'll give it some time.

Right now I'm lacking:714,716, 720, 721, 722, 723, 724, 726, 729, 732, 733, 740, 746, 757 & 762.

As long as 710 works I'm happy for tonight. If my cablecards consistently act like what's been described here I'll soon be downgrading to analog and adding another splitter to my off-air antenna.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #1298
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

and as I typed that..

The channels are slowly coming back.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #1299
elwaylite

Looking at buying a S3HD soon and wondering if everyone is happy with Cox in Norfolk.

I see theyll be going SDV soon, but it appears theyll only pull low volume digitals?

$55 for digital basic then the tivo fee aint bad.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:54 AM   #1300
tivocrazy

My current issues concerning Cox Hampton Roads that may or may not affect you.

Since you are getting an S3, the Motorola M card issue will not be a problem with you but they still have a problem with copyright protection when trying to use MRV or Tivo Desktop to transfer recordings. I have switched to 2 S cards in my Tivo HD and am still experiencing significant signal loss causing digital/audio breakup during certain times of the day. Working with Cox this weekend to try to track down the issue. Could be any number of things to cause this and some may have nothing to do with Cox (as in my wiring in my home). Could also be the TiVo unit although TiVo denies they are the problem. We will see when they send out their expert and hopefully the breakup will show itself while he/she is there.
tivocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #1301
elwaylite

Ooops, I will be getting the TivoHD and not the S3HD. Transferring recordings wont be an issue, but is the signal breakup common for tivos in this area?
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 AM   #1302
tivocrazy

Can't say. My understanding is that before the Tivo fall update it was a BIG problem so make sure you get the latest service updates on the Tivo before evaluating any issues. Have not heard anyone else in the Hampton Roads area having this problem so it might be isolated to me. Will know more this weekend. It is really strange as it only happens in the afternoon.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #1303
scrappler

This sucks, I am moving to Chandler AZ in two weeks and I fear that my S3 will be in the same boat as the rest of you.
scrappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #1304
tivocrazy

Different markets seem to have different issues based on what I have read on the forums. Some have problems with dropped channels. I do not have that issue here. Matter of fact, when I first got the Tivo HD hooked up I was told I would not get all of my HD channels, only those for which the cable card was set up to handle at the time the cards were ordered by Cox from Motorola. Yet, I get all of the HD channels and any new ones that Cox makes available. Go figure.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #1305
hddude55

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappler View Post
This sucks, I am moving to Chandler AZ in two weeks and I fear that my S3 will be in the same boat as the rest of you.
Postpone your move for a few months! Something about the Cox upgrade last Fall seems to have caused this nagging dropped channels issue in the Mesa-Gilbert-Chandler upgraded area and the Cox techs say it is very widespread.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #1306
hddude55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivocrazy View Post
Different markets seem to have different issues based on what I have read on the forums. Some have problems with dropped channels. I do not have that issue here. Matter of fact, when I first got the Tivo HD hooked up I was told I would not get all of my HD channels, only those for which the cable card was set up to handle at the time the cards were ordered by Cox from Motorola. Yet, I get all of the HD channels and any new ones that Cox makes available. Go figure.
I'm not sure but it seems SA cards like we have here in Gilbert, AZ have been more troublesome than the Motorola cards.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #1307
lament

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats View Post
Nearly every day. Same symptoms, and more: keep an eye out for partial recordings. I see them constantly now.

I recently had my MCard replaced. Result: no change. Partials, stutters on live TV, etc. *sigh*

Sorry for the bad news,
-jd.
this seems to have worked itself out for me.. I blame Cox.
lament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 02:00 PM   #1308
tivocrazy

Quote:
I'm not sure but it seems SA cards like we have here in Gilbert, AZ have been more troublesome than the Motorola cards.
Before I purchased my Tivo HD a few months ago, Tivo rep told me that if Cox Hampton Roads was using SA cable cards he would advise me to hold off on the purchase until Cox/SA worked out the problems.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:27 AM   #1309
Bodie

We just got the Victim Networ... er, I mean Lifetime HD. woohoo!
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #1310
OrangeKid

Tivo HD Program Guide for Vegas incorrect!

Cox in Vegas is realigning all the HD channels on June 1. Unfortunately the Tivo program guide changed yesterday May 28, showing all the HD channels in their new assignments 3 days before the Cox changeover. Therefore until June 1 I am unable to record the correct "To Do" list. The wrong programs are recorded. SD programming is unaffected.

Am I missing something? Is there anything I can do to get my HD programming in the interim other than using the "Rube Goldberg" approach to recording by time or channel?
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #1311
Rolow

Sounds like you will have to set up a manual recording like the vcr days. I know a few times when cox phoenix has added channels they have shown up in the guide before they where mad available by cox. Its kind of nice and not a problem when your getting new channels but when there getting moved like yours that would suck.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:28 PM   #1312
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKid View Post
Cox in Vegas is realigning all the HD channels on June 1. Unfortunately the Tivo program guide changed yesterday May 28, showing all the HD channels in their new assignments 3 days before the Cox changeover. Therefore until June 1 I am unable to record the correct "To Do" list. The wrong programs are recorded. SD programming is unaffected.

Am I missing something? Is there anything I can do to get my HD programming in the interim other than using the "Rube Goldberg" approach to recording by time or channel?
your lucky I heard stories of cable companies changing lineups and Tivo taking a week to get the channels straight.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #1313
OrangeKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
Sounds like you will have to set up a manual recording like the vcr days.
What I decided to do is just record the SD versions of the HD shows today and tomorrow. As far as I can tell all will be well again starting June 1.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:22 PM   #1314
doormat

Quote:

Me too! I came home from work and all my channels were in the wrong place on the HD side. Though it seems like it was only some of them - Discovery HD was still 727 but ESPNHD was 730.

I'm more interested in who is to blame? Does Cox or TiVo manage the channel numbers?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:09 PM   #1315
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat View Post
Me too! I came home from work and all my channels were in the wrong place on the HD side. Though it seems like it was only some of them - Discovery HD was still 727 but ESPNHD was 730.

I'm more interested in who is to blame? Does Cox or TiVo manage the channel numbers?
cox manages the channel placement, but it would seem tribune the tivo guide data provider jumped the gun on realignig the channels.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #1316
OrangeKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat View Post

Cox has clearly announced for some time now the June 1 date for the change of channel numbers. It seems to me that Tivo jumped the gun in its program guide.

I missed my HD shows yesterday but I programmed the S3 Tivo to record the SD versions today and tomorrow. Starting Saturday all the Tivo program guide channel numbers should be synced up with the Cox channel numbers.

Here is the new HD cable channel line up:

http://www.cox.com/lasvegas/channelchanges.asp
Old 05-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #1317
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
cox manages the channel placement, but it would seem tribune the tivo guide data provider jumped the gun on realignig the channels.
It all depends on what Cox told Tribune... Someone made a mistake, but only a Cox/Tribune insider would know who's at fault.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:35 PM   #1318
OrangeKid

Quote:
Starting Saturday all the Tivo program guide channel numbers should be synced up with the Cox channel numbers.
Oops! i should have said "Starting Sunday ...."!
Old 05-31-2008, 03:33 PM   #1319
TheNumberSix

So if I understand correctly, everything should be just fine tomorrow? (June 1) We shouldn't have to redo Guided setup, right?
TheNumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:33 PM   #1320
OrangeKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumberSix View Post
So if I understand correctly, everything should be just fine tomorrow? (June 1) We shouldn't have to redo Guided setup, right?
Guided setup does not appear to be necessary.

I checked my "To Do" list and all my future HD programs that are in the 700-799 range are scheduled to be recorded on the correct (newly assigned) HD channels.

I did have to select the premium HD channels (HBO HD channel 800, Cinemax HD channel 810, and Starz HD channel 830) I subscribe to in the Tivo channel setup screen. Tomorrow (June 1) I will go through all the HD channels to confirm that I receive those that I am entitled to.