TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #1261
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior15 View Post
I live in Herndon, VA (serviced by Cox - Fairfax) and am considering buying a TivoHD and getting cable cards from Cox. After reading this thread (OK, I didn't read all of it, but I read a lot of it), it sounds like I should hold off until some issues are worked out. If my understanding of the situation is correct, Cox is using SDV for some if its channels (including some HD) and those don't work with cable cards. If I'm wrong about this, please let me know. If this is the case, then I think I'll hold off on getting the cable cards (and the TivoHD) until either Tivo releases their dongle that provides compatibility with SDV or Cox changes things so that cable card users get all the HD channels.

I'm hoping somebody here can help me out before I take the leap and go HD.

Thanks
yes, you are correct. You only get about 14 HD channels (you get all the other normal channels, except some are in analog instead of digital - if you look at the channel map on cox's website, it's everything under 102), and the rest are on SDV. Everything else though works pretty great.

So if you can deal w/ their HD DVR and pay the extra monthly fee for that time, then that may be a good way to go for a few months. Hopefully, JFranklin's efforts will prove fruitful and we'll be seeing the channels we're missing sooner than later.
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #1262
junior15

Well, right now, I don't have HD at all, so any HD that I get would be additional to what I get now. I also don't have any of the digital stuff (I get through 102) so any of that would be additional as well. I'm just trying to decide if I want to pay the extra $20 per month for the 2 cable cards (and digital gateway service on each) in addition to the extra $10 for the Tivo service if I'm not gonna get everything. Is there a list somewhere of which HD channels I will be able to get with the cable cards (so I can see what I will be missing)? If I will be getting the ones I care about, then I may go ahead and do it.

Thanks

Sony SVR2000 - 30 GB + 100 GB
Series 2 DT - Stock
Series 2 DT - 500 GB
Tivo HD - 500 GB
junior15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:50 PM   #1263
milo99

Quote:
Well, right now, I don't have HD at all, so any HD that I get would be additional to what I get now. I also don't have any of the digital stuff (I get through 102) so any of that would be additional as well. I'm just trying to decide if I want to pay the extra $20 per month for the 2 cable cards (and digital gateway service on each) in addition to the extra $10 for the Tivo service if I'm not gonna get everything. Is there a list somewhere of which HD channels I will be able to get with the cable cards (so I can see what I will be missing)? If I will be getting the ones I care about, then I may go ahead and do it.

Thanks
heres the channel list
http://www.cox.com/fairfax/digitalca...nnellineup.asp

these are the HD channels you'll get w/ cable cards
Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #1264
dtplink

Quote:
I live in Herndon, VA (serviced by Cox - Fairfax)

I'm hoping somebody here can help me out before I take the leap and go HD.

Thanks
I've been using TiVo since their first products hit the market. Since then I've gotten spotty service from their sales dept. (during last Christmas, but still); lost my satellite sports subscriptions due to SDV when I switched to S3HD and cable; experiencing bugs now with 9.3a (black screen, reboots needed) and I still prefer the TiVo experience to Cox DVR or any of the other I've seen.

With Cox I now have enough HD stations to feel like I'm being served. I bought the TiVo expansion drive and reclaimed the time I used to waste erasing stuff to make space, etc. and I still enjoy the TiVo onscreen user experience every day. It's even gotten snappier.

So overall I realize I'm getting screwed being caught in the middle of the TiVo/Cable/Satellite/Telephone Cos. wars but this too will pass.
dtplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #1265
tagpats
Tagpats

i'm with you

i dumped my M card for two S cards and have had to reboot once and have been free of problems for exactly 1 month. i don't know what has changed, but i've almost gotten to the point of not worrying about whether i will have a picture when i turn my tv on each day, which is a nice change.

assuming all continues to go well, i'm looking forward to the dongle so that i can obtain all of the SDV channels i'm not currently getting with Cox in Northern Virginia.

i don't know what the deal is with the cox csr that is trying to get information on why we're not receiving the sdv channels, but it seemed pretty straight forward that anything we have now, we'll continue to have and any new hd channels that are released in sdv will be unavailable until the dongle.

since scientific atlanta is less than swift, i'd be interested in what cox has to report on when we might see this elusive dongle that was supposed to be available in the second quarter of 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pafrican View Post
Knocking on wood and I know I'm cursing myself but...

I haven't had any issues with losing channels since getting two s-cards in place of an m-card (I'm in Phx). Was not the ideal situation as I'd rather not pay the $2 extra a month, but compared to having monthly (sometimes twice monthly) service calls that lasted hours it's not so bad. I think it's been two-three months since I had the s-cards installed so I'm pretty happy with that.

Has there been anybody else seeing less frequent channel dropping or is everyone still having the issue?

tagpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:38 AM   #1266
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrob View Post
I have been following the M-card loss-of-encrypted channels problems since late December, experiencing an outage about once every 3 days. Since I upgraded to 9.3 two weeks ago, I have not caught one instance of this occurring. And this is with me checking every morning to see if I have all of my channels.

Having said this, I can't say that the problem is 100% fixed, because there is the possibility that the fix has come in the form of an immediate resetting of the CC when the loss occurs, instead of preventing the loss in the first place. That would mean, as I think Tivo has stated somewhere, that if the loss occurs in the middle of a program, that although the station will come back, the recording will not restart. Hence, you would not get the rest of the program.

But I haven't found any example yet where this occurred. Since only a third of my programs are from encrypted channels, it's possible that any outages by chance did not occur during those recordings...but it could still happen.

Anyone else care to share their post-9.3 upgrade experiences in this regard?

Oh, and I also want to say that I have not experience the video blackout (also referred to as the Gray Screen of Death or GSOD) since the upgrade. But it was only happening about once a month before that anyway.

Rob
Okay, I spoke too soon. Tonight I had a CC outage while the Tivo HD was set to record Battlestar Galactica. I tuned to the show, which had been supposedly recording for 5 minutes, and the green cursor was stuck at the beginning, plus the screen was black. Since the show had already been on for 5 minutes, I figured the Tivo HD wasn't going to reset itself, like I thought it was supposed to after the 9.3 upgrade...so I reset the channels myself, using the menu option. It did work much faster than before, which I think others have noticed....but that didn't get me back the first 5 minutes of the show.

So, it truly is only a partial solution at this point.

Rob
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:27 PM   #1267
hddude55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrob View Post
Okay, I spoke too soon. Tonight I had a CC outage while the Tivo HD was set to record Battlestar Galactica. I tuned to the show, which had been supposedly recording for 5 minutes, and the green cursor was stuck at the beginning, plus the screen was black. Since the show had already been on for 5 minutes, I figured the Tivo HD wasn't going to reset itself, like I thought it was supposed to after the 9.3 upgrade...so I reset the channels myself, using the menu option. It did work much faster than before, which I think others have noticed....but that didn't get me back the first 5 minutes of the show.

So, it truly is only a partial solution at this point.

Rob
Here in Gilbert AZ I just lost channels today on my latest "new" card in slot 1 of my Series 3. It worked fine for about two weeks. Whoopee.

I haven't had Cox roll a truck yet. The telephone CSR remotely unpaired, repaired, then hit the cards with an "H Wave?" He was hard to understand so I may have misunderstood the part about an H wave. (FYI the original problem was not that card 1 was unpaired, in case someone asks.) I have my channels back and no reboot was needed, but unlike you I don't consider any of these new developments that restore channels to be a partial solution. It has been over six months since this nonsense started and I doubt they even fully understand the problem.
hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #1268
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagpats View Post
i don't know what the deal is with the cox csr that is trying to get information on why we're not receiving the sdv channels, but it seemed pretty straight forward that anything we have now, we'll continue to have and any new hd channels that are released in sdv will be unavailable until the dongle.

since scientific atlanta is less than swift, i'd be interested in what cox has to report on when we might see this elusive dongle that was supposed to be available in the second quarter of 2008.
the CSR has been told that company wide - not just market specific areas - the SDV policy is changing so that HD channels are no longer on SDV. We've seen this change take place in other markets including the CSR's home market of Hampton, and Tivo customers who once could not access some of those HD channels now can.

So seeing that his call center services NOVA tech support calls, he's looking into why NOVA customers are still stuck with the new HD Channels being on SDV.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #1269
JayBird

Is this an anti-cable card scam?

I'm in Gilbert, AZ, and I have digital cable, internet, and digital telephone, all from Cox. Since I have all 3 services, I've been getting a "digital home pak bundle discount" of $32.90 off my bill each month.

So recently I turned in my old cable box for cable cards - 1 M-Card for my new TiVo HD, and 1 S-Card for my Pioneer plasma TV.

And then I get my next bill...

1. The charge for the "digital gateway service" went from $5.00 to $7.00 (not sure why this was increased by $2.00 - anybody know?).
2. The charge for the old cable box of $6.00 is gone, but is replaced with a charge of $4.00 for the two cable cards (this I expected).
3. I was charged for 3 cable card installations, even though they only installed 2 cards (this doesn't surprise me, since the CSR who took my order insisted I needed 2 cards for the TiVo, for a total of 3 with the TV, and wouldn't listen to any arguments to the contrary when I tried to explain that I actually only needed one M-card for the TiVo HD).
4. But here's the real kicker... they eliminated my "digital home pack bundle discount", so now to use cable cards instead of Cox's box, I'm paying an additional $32.90 a month.

Is there anybody else who has all 3 services who also got screwed by this when they switched to cable cards, or is this just an error on Cox's part that can be corrected?

Would requiring to have their box to get the discount be in violation of the FCC rules regarding my choice to use cable card devices in leiu of their box?

Would this be considered an anti-cable card scam?

I want to be armed with all the info I can get before I call Cox to dispute the charges on my bill.
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #1270
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
I'm in Gilbert, AZ, and I have digital cable, internet, and digital telephone, all from Cox. Since I have all 3 services, I've been getting a "digital home pak bundle discount" of $32.90 off my bill each month.

So recently I turned in my old cable box for cable cards - 1 M-Card for my new TiVo HD, and 1 S-Card for my Pioneer plasma TV.

1. The charge for the "digital gateway service" went from $5.00 to $7.00 (not sure why this was increased by $2.00 - anybody know?).
2. The charge for the old cable box of $6.00 is gone, but is replaced with a charge of $4.00 for the two cable cards (this I expected).
3. I was charged for 3 cable card installations, even though they only installed 2 cards (this doesn't surprise me, since the CSR who took my order insisted I needed 2 cards for the TiVo, for a total of 3 with the TV, and wouldn't listen to any arguments to the contrary when I tried to explain that I actually only needed one M-card for the TiVo HD).
4. But here's the real kicker... they eliminated my "digital home pack bundle discount", so now to use cable cards instead of Cox's box, I'm paying an additional $32.90 a month.

Is there anybody else who has all 3 services who also got screwed by this when they switched to cable cards, or is this just an error on Cox's part that can be corrected?

Would requiring to have their box to get the discount be in violation of the FCC rules regarding my choice to use cable card devices in leiu of their box?

I want to be armed with all the info I can get before I call Cox to dispute the charges on my bill.
does it say anywhere on your old bill, or on their website where they have mention of this bundle offer, that it must be with all their equipment?

if no, then that's all you need really. They don't say they require it, then they can't make you have it.

If they DO say it, then that's when any FCC regulation would come into play.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:30 PM   #1271
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post

Call back and escalate if you need to. Their bundle pack is plus equipment.

I signed up for Cox when I got my S3. I've never had a cable box since they installed and I 'was' bundled.

I actually opted out of their bundle as of the last price increase. they are forcing to upgrade to the Premier internet service and raising the price from my old $99 rate to like $130 for the three services, plus equipment and taxes. Basically taking my bill from $120ish to $140+.

I stripped my home phone down the 12.00 service, digital cable (no premiums), and the 'standard' 7.0/512 Internet and after the cablecard fees / taxes etc I pay just under $118/mo. If i strip the Internet down to the econo 1 megabit package I could get down to about $100/mo. I seriously concidered subscriving to digital cable and just not renting a box (or cablecards) because it's cheaper with the bundle vs analog ala carte.

The cablecard install fees will be easy to dispute. Ask how many cablecards are on the account .

Shawn
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #1272
tagpats
Tagpats

Thanks

for the feedback on this. That would be great! I just assumed that what we were seeing was a decision to defer release of these new HD channels in SDV, but didn't realize that after release they were reversing course and making them available. This would be a nice development to hold us over until the dongle is up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
the CSR has been told that company wide - not just market specific areas - the SDV policy is changing so that HD channels are no longer on SDV. We've seen this change take place in other markets including the CSR's home market of Hampton, and Tivo customers who once could not access some of those HD channels now can.

So seeing that his call center services NOVA tech support calls, he's looking into why NOVA customers are still stuck with the new HD Channels being on SDV.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #1273
Rolow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
So after this post I took note of my SUB Expire Time April 13th. Sure enough I got up this morning and the fix would not work. So I did a hard reboot and called cox to have them send a hit and all my channels came back immediately.
I had to do the same thing last month but never noticed the sub expire time in the menu before. So at least now I know when I going to have to call cox my new SUB Expire Time is May 13th. I have not had to have my CC replace since December 29th I can live with the calls to cox csr but having to set aside 4 hours for a truck roll is ridicules.
I got 9.3 April 18th and haven't had to do a reboot or use the fix it trick since.

I have lost channels twice and flipping between channels brings every thing back. So I wasn't even thinking about my SUB Expire time of May 13th until this evening when all my channels are gone again. The fix it trick did not work and again a reboot did not work so I'm now on hold with Cox.

Just got off the phone with a cox csr and a hit fixed it again. This time my sub expire time is WED. Jun.11 2008 4:16:00am gmt Whats funny is my Last Error Time is THU. Feb 1 1996 2:23:44am gmt and the EUT Update Time is WED. May 14 2008 1:39:34am gmt

*Edit*
Not all my channels went away just the usual ones here in Phoenix
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:12 PM   #1274
tagpats
Tagpats

Can anyone tell me how to locate the SUB expire time? I am using 2 S Cards.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:23 AM   #1275
Rolow

From Tivo Central go to
Messages & Settings> Account & System Information> CableCARD Decoders> Configure CableCARD 1> CableCARD Menu> SA CableCARD CA Screen> enter on your remote

That will bring you to page 2 of the CA Screen. SUBExpireTime is about half way down.
My set up is a single multi streem sa card on cox Phoenix in a tivo HD. Hope that helps
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:30 AM   #1276
tagpats
Tagpats

Thanks for the help. I tried to locate it, but maybe this is just available for M Card users. I just have a SA CableCard CP Screen, not a CA screen. I have just 3 screen options to choose from and none had the SUB on it.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:45 PM   #1277
jfranklin
CSR, Cox Hampton Rds

So you all don't think I've forgotten

As of last night I hadn't gotten anything from the guy that's communicating with NoVa. He should be in this afternoon, so hopfully something then.

I've been in a lot of meetings lately; new supervisor, so a lot of 'getting to know you' sessions that seem to be so popular with corperations now. Have another meeting today with the higher ups about revamping video training, so I'll be flying the CableCARD banner in there.

If I don't get anything by the end of the week I'll start trying to get answers directly.

I'm all for following the chain of command, so long as their is an answer at the end of the chain.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer
jfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #1278
yroca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
I got 9.3 April 18th and haven't had to do a reboot or use the fix it trick since.

I have lost channels twice and flipping between channels brings every thing back. So I wasn't even thinking about my SUB Expire time of May 13th until this evening when all my channels are gone again. The fix it trick did not work and again a reboot did not work so I'm now on hold with Cox.

Just got off the phone with a cox csr and a hit fixed it again. This time my sub expire time is WED. Jun.11 2008 4:16:00am gmt Whats funny is my Last Error Time is THU. Feb 1 1996 2:23:44am gmt and the EUT Update Time is WED. May 14 2008 1:39:34am gmt

*Edit*
Not all my channels went away just the usual ones here in Phoenix
I am having the SubExpireTime issue every 30 days. Like clockwork, I will lose the usual subset of channels. I have found rebooting prior to calling in helps when the send the hits. This is far less annoying that losing channels every 2-3 days, but is still something I hope they will figure out. I have had this issue since Nov or Dec with the SubExpireTime. The other thing to keep in mind is that the SubExpireTime is in GMT, so sometimes it looks like it is still in the future...
yroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:25 AM   #1279
thewebgal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranklin View Post
As of last night I hadn't gotten anything from the guy that's communicating with NoVa. He should be in this afternoon, so hopfully something then.

I've been in a lot of meetings lately; new supervisor, so a lot of 'getting to know you' sessions that seem to be so popular with corperations now. Have another meeting today with the higher ups about revamping video training, so I'll be flying the CableCARD banner in there.

If I don't get anything by the end of the week I'll start trying to get answers directly.

I'm all for following the chain of command, so long as their is an answer at the end of the chain.
Awesome, thank you for trying to help us get the channels that we pay for but cannot receive. I sent you a pvt email with my info, but if it helps, remind them that in many markets, VERIZON FIOS has just been installed and all channels are available on THAT system and the FIOS folks are treating conversion customers very well ... (frankly, I'd rather stay on Cox, IF they'd just give us all the channels we are paying for already!)

Last edited by thewebgal : 05-16-2008 at 09:33 AM.
thewebgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #1280
tivocrazy

Motorola M Cable Card Problems

Here is a problem that will affect anyone who has the following equipment

TiVo HD (and I imagine Series 3) with a Motorola M Card
Another Tivo uint using MRV or using TiVo Desktop on their PC

I have been working closely with Cox to narrow down a problem with the CCI byte being set which has prevented either MRV transfers or downloads to the PC using TiVo Desktop. Most recorded content is being copyright protected, even content that is over the air. Anyone who does not use MRV or TiVo Desktop will not notice this problem as their TiVo HD has no problem with viewing content that was recorded on the same unit. Cox is reporting that the problem lies with the Motorola M card. I have since switched to 2 S cards and the problem has gone away. Cox is working with Motorola to correct the issue. If this information is correct then anyone with the above setup should also be having this problem.
tivocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #1281
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yroca View Post
I am having the SubExpireTime issue every 30 days. Like clockwork, I will lose the usual subset of channels. I have found rebooting prior to calling in helps when the send the hits. This is far less annoying that losing channels every 2-3 days, but is still something I hope they will figure out. I have had this issue since Nov or Dec with the SubExpireTime. The other thing to keep in mind is that the SubExpireTime is in GMT, so sometimes it looks like it is still in the future...
I believe you are still having the "lost channels" problem every 2-3 days. The difference now is that the most recent software update causes the Tivo to reset the card on it's own when it happens (so you don't have to do it manually or by rebooting). If it happens while you're recording something, you'll notice it because you have partial recordings. I do agree that knowing when the Tivo will no longer be able to reset the card(s) is a great piece of info.
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #1282
doormat

I also seem to be having the subexpiretime issue. I just called in yesterday to cox to have them rehit my cards. Its getting very frustrating. I want to trebuchet my TiVoHD back where it came from.

At least I'm not the only one...
Old 05-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #1283
lament

Hey all,

Anyone with Cox San Diego having any CableCard issues? Yesterday the TiVo started freezing on Live TV (rewinding would fix the issue).

And now, after submitting a channel lineup addition (709, 728 and 738 aren't in the guide yet), I'm getting a CableCard error 161-38 and 161-52. I already rebooted but I'm still having this issue.

Just curious if anyone else in San Diego is getting these or is my M-card crapping out.

Thanks!
lament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #1284
5cats
just jd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lament View Post
Anyone with Cox San Diego having any CableCard issues? Yesterday the TiVo started freezing on Live TV (rewinding would fix the issue).
Nearly every day. Same symptoms, and more: keep an eye out for partial recordings. I see them constantly now.

Quote:
Just curious if anyone else in San Diego is getting these or is my M-card crapping out.
I recently had my MCard replaced. Result: no change. Partials, stutters on live TV, etc. *sigh*

Sorry for the bad news,
-jd.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #1285
tagpats
Tagpats

I just experienced the same screen freeze problem this morning on mine. Any channel I changed to would just lock up like I paused it. A reboot fixed it.

I have 2 SA S Cards and this is the first time I've had an issue since the first week in April. Longest stretch I've gone since I switched to Cox in Northern Virginia.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 PM   #1286
doormat

I just got a M-Card firmware update for my SA card. Anyone else get it? Do we know what it'll fix?
Old 05-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #1287
tivocrazy

Hey doormat, what brand of M cards is Cox using out there in Vegas? Also, since you have a S2 do you use multi-room viewing? If so, when you view the content from your HD unit using the S2 is all (or most) of the content recorded on the HD unit showing that the recording is copyright protected and not available for transfer or is it showing normally?
Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #1288
yroca

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat View Post
I just got a M-Card firmware update for my SA card. Anyone else get it? Do we know what it'll fix?
What version is it? I think it will show you in the CableCard Decoders menu under one of the many pages of diagnostic information. Let us know and then we can compare.
yroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:08 AM   #1289
doormat

Cox is using Scientific Atlanta power-something cards.

I checked the firmware version on the Diagnostic page and it just said "1" under version number. This was TiVo's screen, and not the grey/black CC screens though. I didn't feel like wading through several pages and screens to find the firmware ver.

I do have an S2, I have done MRV, however I found it slow - it wasnt fast enough to watch in real time. Though that was an old version of the TiVo HD firmware (early 8.x I think) and recently I was able to transfer some HD shows to my PC w/o problem and it did it fairly quickly. I cant watch any HD content from my THD on my S2 for obvious reasons, but I never tried to watch S2 recorded content from a THD box.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #1290
tivocrazy

Thanks for checking doormat. That tells me that the problem is limited to Motorola M cards and also tells me that Cox is using different card brands in different parts of the country.