Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #1231
hddude55

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezonie View Post
So my Series 3 that I'd bought the week they came out went belly-up last week. TiVo has been great, over-nighting me a replacement system (yeah, it was a refurb, and yeah, the front had a nice dent in it) so now the only issue is that I need to get my 2 Cox (Phoenix) CableCARDs paired with my new box.

So I put the first card in the first slot of the new unit (just like the tech did over a year and a half ago), got to the screen with the two IDs, and called Cox up, hoping to get someone who would understand my situation and help me with what I needed. (Riiight.)

I explained my situation (that I had received a new TiVo to replace my old one and that I had put the new cards in the old box and just needed the new box to be paired with the cards) but the CSR insisted that it would require a tech to come out and "install" the cards in my TiVo, and that it would cost me $68.

I basically explained that I understood what was involved in "installing" the cards, and all I needed was to give them the IDs of the card and box so that they could be paired and I could get all my channels back. The CSR didn't seem to fully understand the situation and insisted that I needed to schedule a tech to come out. I told her that I didn't want to pay $68 for a guy to come to my house, look at my TV, make a phone call, and read the numbers on the screen to someone to complete the "installation", and could I talk to a manager.

A manager wasn't available at the time, so I asked that they call me back. Well, when they did I wasn't home (it was way more than the 2 hours that the CSR said it would take for me to get the call) but the message I got was the standard "If you have a TiVo then a tech needs to install the cards".

I guess my question is if anyone else has gone through this process with successful results, or am I just wasting my time trying to find someone reasonable to help me out? I've decided that if the only way to get my service back is to pay the $68 then I'm just going to cancel HBO and Starz. (The Sopranos is finished, anyway.)
OK, you almost had me for a second. This must be a belated April Fool's Day joke. I'm sure you know you can't install cards and even if you could, the cards you have are paired to the old TiVo so even a reasonable Cox tech can't reinstall them in a new TiVo. Can I roll my eyes now, too, you kidder? Look at the bright side. If you are in AZ, there is a great chance the new cards will fail soon and the truck roll to replace them will be free.

Last edited by hddude55 : 04-27-2008 at 11:01 PM.
hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #1232
milo99

Cox No.VA still hasn't let the new HD channels through.

JFranklin - do you know if this is a Cox nationwide thing (that internal email you saw) or just your market?
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #1233
gonealoha

Cox Cable Cards cost

$8.95? Cox in san diego only charges $2.00 per month for each cable card.
gonealoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:14 AM   #1234
thezonie

Cox Phoenix CableCARDs are $2 each as well.
thezonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #1235
thezonie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55 View Post
OK, you almost had me for a second. This must be a belated April Fool's Day joke. I'm sure you know you can't install cards and even if you could, the cards you have are paired to the old TiVo so even a reasonable Cox tech can't reinstall them in a new TiVo. Can I roll my eyes now, too, you kidder? Look at the bright side. If you are in AZ, there is a great chance the new cards will fail soon and the truck roll to replace them will be free.
Thankfully when I called Cox this afternoon to try and talk to someone reasonable I was connected with an extremely helpful CSR that spent 10 minutes re-pairing my CableCARDs. So now all is back to normal.
thezonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #1236
jebbbz

I am a Cox customer in Phoenix. While I have experienced loss of channels occasionally since getting my TiVo HD in late January the problem seems to have changed since I got upgraded to 9.3 a few weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this.

Early on I rebooted to fix the problem but then I learned of the menu "trick" which would do the trick faster. Like others, eventually it seemed the menu fix failed and then rebooting failed and after a month I got new a new MCard installed. The old menu trick worked OK until mid-April after the 9.3 upgrade. Since then, the menu trick works differently and much faster.

Before, I would navigate to the CC menu, pick a menu item and wait for the loading-failed message, then back up to the CC main menu and wait two or three minutes for the two other error messages to appear at the top of the screen. Then I could go back to watching TV. Now, when I hit "Clear" to back up from the menu selection that gave me the loading- failed message I immediately get a warning message about the Cablecard not working (no information from cableco or some such thing) and I can return to watching and recording immediately, although sometimes I have to wait for the acquiring-channel-info pinwheel to finish. Start to finish is a minute or so rather than three or four for the old menu trick or five or six for a reboot.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 AM   #1237
jfranklin
CSR, Cox Hampton Rds

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo99 View Post
Cox No.VA still hasn't let the new HD channels through.

JFranklin - do you know if this is a Cox nationwide thing (that internal email you saw) or just your market?
Should be all markets. Was supposed to be official a few weeks ago as I remember. I'll have to check Wednesday and see what NoVa is doing. They like to do everything their own way, so might need to get someone to talk to them.
jfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #1238
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebbbz View Post
I am a Cox customer in Phoenix. While I have experienced loss of channels occasionally since getting my TiVo HD in late January the problem seems to have changed since I got upgraded to 9.3 a few weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this.

Early on I rebooted to fix the problem but then I learned of the menu "trick" which would do the trick faster. Like others, eventually it seemed the menu fix failed and then rebooting failed and after a month I got new a new MCard installed. The old menu trick worked OK until mid-April after the 9.3 upgrade. Since then, the menu trick works differently and much faster.

Before, I would navigate to the CC menu, pick a menu item and wait for the loading-failed message, then back up to the CC main menu and wait two or three minutes for the two other error messages to appear at the top of the screen. Then I could go back to watching TV. Now, when I hit "Clear" to back up from the menu selection that gave me the loading- failed message I immediately get a warning message about the Cablecard not working (no information from cableco or some such thing) and I can return to watching and recording immediately, although sometimes I have to wait for the acquiring-channel-info pinwheel to finish. Start to finish is a minute or so rather than three or four for the old menu trick or five or six for a reboot.
I have been following the M-card loss-of-encrypted channels problems since late December, experiencing an outage about once every 3 days. Since I upgraded to 9.3 two weeks ago, I have not caught one instance of this occurring. And this is with me checking every morning to see if I have all of my channels.

Having said this, I can't say that the problem is 100% fixed, because there is the possibility that the fix has come in the form of an immediate resetting of the CC when the loss occurs, instead of preventing the loss in the first place. That would mean, as I think Tivo has stated somewhere, that if the loss occurs in the middle of a program, that although the station will come back, the recording will not restart. Hence, you would not get the rest of the program.

But I haven't found any example yet where this occurred. Since only a third of my programs are from encrypted channels, it's possible that any outages by chance did not occur during those recordings...but it could still happen.

Anyone else care to share their post-9.3 upgrade experiences in this regard?

Oh, and I also want to say that I have not experience the video blackout (also referred to as the Gray Screen of Death or GSOD) since the upgrade. But it was only happening about once a month before that anyway.

Rob
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #1239
sniperlv

Cox in Phoenix is getting ready to roll out VOD so they say. Will the Cable Cards in the HD Tivo be able to use the VOD?
sniperlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #1240
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperlv View Post
Cox in Phoenix is getting ready to roll out VOD so they say. Will the Cable Cards in the HD Tivo be able to use the VOD?
Nope...

Cox just did aback end upgrade overnight here - All services (phone / TV / Internet) were down last night.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #1241
jebbbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrob View Post
I have been following the M-card loss-of-encrypted channels problems since late December...

Having said this, I can't say that the problem is 100% fixed, because there is the possibility that the fix has come in the form of an immediate resetting of the CC when the loss occurs, instead of preventing the loss in the first place...

Rob
What you say about automatic resetting might be true and it may have happened more times than I have noticed, say, at night. The times I have noticed I have watched the problem develop, with the picture I am watching freezing and when I check other encrypted channels them being black as is the original picture. I then head to the CC menu to fix things.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:38 AM   #1242
Rolow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrob View Post

Having said this, I can't say that the problem is 100% fixed, because there is the possibility that the fix has come in the form of an immediate resetting of the CC when the loss occurs, instead of preventing the loss in the first place. That would mean, as I think Tivo has stated somewhere, that if the loss occurs in the middle of a program, that although the station will come back, the recording will not restart. Hence, you would not get the rest of the program.

Anyone else care to share their post-9.3 upgrade experiences in this regard?

Oh, and I also want to say that I have not experience the video blackout (also referred to as the Gray Screen of Death or GSOD) since the upgrade. But it was only happening about once a month before that anyway.

Rob
My Tivo HD has stopped recording on two separate occasions since 9.3 Both time i found the problem with in a half hour. I had to manually start the recordings again. The fist time i restarted the tivo before i checked the channels. the second time I checked the channels before doing anything and they where all fine.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #1243
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranklin View Post
Should be all markets. Was supposed to be official a few weeks ago as I remember. I'll have to check Wednesday and see what NoVa is doing. They like to do everything their own way, so might need to get someone to talk to them.
interesting. I emailed, and called asking about this. The people i spoke with had no idea. they gave me the standard lines about SDV. When i told them that other COX markets were doing this (letting HD channels through), they said they don't know anything about it, but they are examining what their customers want. I politely told them, their cable card customers want the HD channels. I'm sure there are other channels that are in lower demand.

So while i was on the phone with them, i asked them about something else- the whole deal with my basic and expanded channels coming through in analog insted of digital (another chaffe of mine, since i'm supposed to be paying for 100% digital cable). The phone tech couldn't tell me why, so they sent over a tech. The guy's english wasn't great, but it seems he understood the situation, and if i understood his english, basically told me that channels 2-102 are broadcast in both analog and digital, and the digital is on SDV.

wow. that ain't cool.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #1244
moyekj

Quote:
The guy's english wasn't great, but it seems he understood the situation, and if i understood his english, basically told me that channels 2-102 are broadcast in both analog and digital, and the digital is on SDV.

wow. that ain't cool.
Yes, that's my understanding of what's likely to happen in Cox, Orange County area once SDV deploys as well - all digital simulcast channels will go SDV and the CableCard channel maps will revert back to analog channels for sub-100 channels.
While obviously it's not a good thing for CableCard users it does make sense to put those channels in the SDV pool since there still is a large customer base that doesn't subscribe to digital video services. In a way it could be a good thing since it may mean less HD channels going SDV in the short term. I would expect this will happen in most/all Cox markets where SDV is deployed.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #1245
jfranklin
CSR, Cox Hampton Rds

Quote:
The guy's english wasn't great, but it seems he understood the situation, and if i understood his english, basically told me that channels 2-102 are broadcast in both analog and digital, and the digital is on SDV.

wow. that ain't cool.
Not all of them, but a large chunk of them are SDV if my list is current (says it was updated 04/22/08, so I assume it is). Per the list, though, none of the HD channels are SDV in your area, and per a lead here that change is supposed to be all markets.

Odd that no one knew what you were talking about in relation to that as my call center IS the call center you would have talked to. NoVa no longer has a technical call center as I understand it. Just billing/sales/ect.

Definitly call back in, and keep doing so until you get a resolution. I will continue to look into it from this end. At least make certian that it is supposed to be all markets, and that the SDV channel list I have is up to date.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #1246
milo99

Quote:
Not all of them, but a large chunk of them are SDV if my list is current (says it was updated 04/22/08, so I assume it is). Per the list, though, none of the HD channels are SDV in your area, and per a lead here that change is supposed to be all markets.

Odd that no one knew what you were talking about in relation to that as my call center IS the call center you would have talked to. NoVa no longer has a technical call center as I understand it. Just billing/sales/ect.

Definitly call back in, and keep doing so until you get a resolution. I will continue to look into it from this end. At least make certian that it is supposed to be all markets, and that the SDV channel list I have is up to date.
I can tell you that these are the HD channels i get:

These show up on my program guide, have all the info as any normal station, but when I tune, i get a "Channel not available" tivo message:
722-734

So when I call (703) 378-8422 and ask for technical support, it gets routed to you guys? that's odd...

Last edited by milo99 : 05-01-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #1247
jfranklin
CSR, Cox Hampton Rds

Quote:

These show up on my program guide, have all the info as any normal station, but when I tune, i get a "Channel not available" tivo message:
722-734

So when I call (703) 378-8422 and ask for technical support, it gets routed to you guys? that's odd...
The channels that you aren't getting do seem to be the ones added since November `07. I asked the guy I go to for NoVa issues and he confirmed that it should be all areas, and that the list I was looking at for SDV channels should be up to date. If it weren't for you getting 712 and a few others I'd just say that you don't have expanded, but if you didn't those wouldn't come in either. Might need to be repaired (though that shouldn't be needed). I've got my guy here looking for an answer from NoVa MTC, but they are a little slow to respond to us at times, so it might be a few days before I hear something. In the mean time, if you want, PM me with your address and I'll take a look at your account to be sure that everything is on their right, or call back in and have someone check the balancing on your account.

And yes, NoVa and Roanoke technical calls come to Hampton Roads. Have been for a little while now.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer
Old 05-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #1248
sooka

Quote:

722-734

Live in Burke/Fairfax area with Cox, and these channels that you say you can/t get are on SDV. My TV that takes cable cards also can't tune these channels. From what I understand, all HD channels that were added after the initial SDV push were put on SDV and will be unavailable to TIVO users and anyone else with a cablecard device. The ones you can tune to in the 700s were prior to the SDV push in the Cox Northern Virginia area.
sooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #1249
milo99

Quote:
The channels that you aren't getting do seem to be the ones added since November `07. I asked the guy I go to for NoVa issues and he confirmed that it should be all areas, and that the list I was looking at for SDV channels should be up to date. If it weren't for you getting 712 and a few others I'd just say that you don't have expanded, but if you didn't those wouldn't come in either. Might need to be repaired (though that shouldn't be needed). I've got my guy here looking for an answer from NoVa MTC, but they are a little slow to respond to us at times, so it might be a few days before I hear something. In the mean time, if you want, PM me with your address and I'll take a look at your account to be sure that everything is on their right, or call back in and have someone check the balancing on your account.

And yes, NoVa and Roanoke technical calls come to Hampton Roads. Have been for a little while now.
Right now i have the discovery, movie, variety and sports tiers so yea, i should be getting all of those HDs. i'm not subscribed to premium movie channel so i haven't bothered trying to find those. I'll PM you my info. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:21 AM   #1250
fishnose

I have Cox service in Northern Virginia (Vienna/Oakton area) and some emails from "customer service" (sarcasm absolutely intended) told me that despite my subscription with digital tiers (sports, movie, variety, discovery):

(1) no reception would be provided on the "newly added" HD channels (i.e., added November 2007 or after and currently placed at channel numbers 708, 711, 718, 722-734)) unless I used the Cox boxes

and

(2) no decision on dongles to avoid the UDCP issues (cable card issues) with SDV although they are aware that others are implementing them.
fishnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #1251
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnose View Post
I have Cox service in Northern Virginia (Vienna/Oakton area) and some emails from "customer service" (sarcasm absolutely intended) told me that despite my subscription with digital tiers (sports, movie, variety, discovery):

(1) no reception would be provided on the "newly added" HD channels (i.e., added November 2007 or after and currently placed at channel numbers 708, 711, 718, 722-734)) unless I used the Cox boxes

and

(2) no decision on dongles to avoid the UDCP issues (cable card issues) with SDV although they are aware that others are implementing them.
the dongle is not even out yet.
ajwees41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #1252
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnose View Post

and

yea, unfortunately, the problem is that too many people that work at Cox just don't know the situation, and just tell you the token line- you won't be able to access them w/o Cox equipment.

However, luckily there are a few Cox employees out there like JFranklin who go above and beyond and do extra research, and peruse these boards in order to figure out what their customers are dealing with. he tried to help me out in case it was indeed an issue w/ my card configuration, but we concluded it was just the NoVA Cox market not doing what others have done.

he said he'll post to this thread as he finds any additional info for us, so at least we have one knowledgeable Cox Rep who will be able to shed some light for us.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:39 PM   #1253
jfranklin
CSR, Cox Hampton Rds

NOVA customers with missing HD channels

I've been asked to collect account info from anyone in Northern Virginia who is not able to receive the HD channels ,via CableCARD, that were added since November 2007.

I have two people looking into this situation, here, where I am. One of which just recently transfered here from NOVA. It is my hope that between the two of them we should be able to get some kind of answer as to what is happening in short order.

If you do not feel comfertable sending me your information (address would be best) via PM, then let me know via PM and I will give you my Cox corporate email address. For obvious reasons I don't want to post it here.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:02 PM   #1254
milo99

there are apparently at least another 5 new HD channels in the 730s that have shown up on my program guide.. .but alas, these also are not viewable.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #1255
Sadara
huh?

Replaced a CableCARD today. I had other issues and recently reimaged my 250GB drive in my S3, but I can't help but wonder if the problems I was having was because I had a cable card that needed to be replaced. Anyway....

The 3 channels that Cox Kansas added a couple of months back (the ones supposedly reserved for SDV) are now showing up for us. I have three networks I am keeping my eyes peeled for, SciFi HD, FX HD and CW HD. I really can't wait for those!! I honestly don't care about any of the others that we don't already have.
Sadara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:33 AM   #1256
jfranklin
CSR, Cox Hampton Rds

NOVA CableCARD Update

I've given the people who are working on this for me the account info for the people who have responded to me. I'm off until Wednesday, but I'll keep an eye on my corp email over the next two days, and if something comes in I'll let you all know.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #1257
jonginear

Phoenix HD TiVo Owners and 9.3

Have any of the Cox Phoenix TiVo HD owners noticed any improvement in operation since the 9.3 rollout? I have 2 series 3's with 2 S cards each and have had little difficulty in the last 2 years, but my customers with TiVo HD's have had many issues. I want to start selling TiVo's again but not until I am confident that they will actually work.

Thanks,
Old 05-07-2008, 12:36 AM   #1258
hddude55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonginear View Post
Have any of the Cox Phoenix TiVo HD owners noticed any improvement in operation since the 9.3 rollout? I have 2 series 3's with 2 S cards each and have had little difficulty in the last 2 years, but my customers with TiVo HD's have had many issues. I want to start selling TiVo's again but not until I am confident that they will actually work.

Thanks,
I have had channel loss issues since receiving 9.3 -- and have had new cards installed twice since 9.3 -- but that was no surprise since I was told by a TiVo CSR that 9.3 did not address that problem, which has been a major bummer in the Phoenix area. I'm betting you could call Cox Phoenix and almost any CSR would just groan if you bring up the channel loss problem.
hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #1259
Pafrican

Knocking on wood and I know I'm cursing myself but...

I haven't had any issues with losing channels since getting two s-cards in place of an m-card (I'm in Phx). Was not the ideal situation as I'd rather not pay the $2 extra a month, but compared to having monthly (sometimes twice monthly) service calls that lasted hours it's not so bad. I think it's been two-three months since I had the s-cards installed so I'm pretty happy with that.

Has there been anybody else seeing less frequent channel dropping or is everyone still having the issue?
Pafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #1260
junior15

a little help before I make the leap

I live in Herndon, VA (serviced by Cox - Fairfax) and am considering buying a TivoHD and getting cable cards from Cox. After reading this thread (OK, I didn't read all of it, but I read a lot of it), it sounds like I should hold off until some issues are worked out. If my understanding of the situation is correct, Cox is using SDV for some if its channels (including some HD) and those don't work with cable cards. If I'm wrong about this, please let me know. If this is the case, then I think I'll hold off on getting the cable cards (and the TivoHD) until either Tivo releases their dongle that provides compatibility with SDV or Cox changes things so that cable card users get all the HD channels.

I'm hoping somebody here can help me out before I take the leap and go HD.

Thanks

Sony SVR2000 - 30 GB + 100 GB
Series 2 DT - Stock
Series 2 DT - 500 GB
Tivo HD - 500 GB
junior15 is offline   Reply With Quote