TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-09-2008, 02:18 PM   #1201
wierdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranklin View Post
I just checked my internal email and can verify that information was sent to technical support. It would explain some of the people in OKC and Tulsa seeing the channels last week. Seems the change over date is a due date and changes should be done by that date if not sooner.

I've been requesting this internally ever since the original decision was made to not deliver these channels to customers with CableCARDs. I suppose enough people made their voices heard to change the policy.
Excellent. Thanks for putting a good word in for us. Hopefully the SDV dongle won't end up being vaporware, so we can put the unpleasantness related to SDV behind us.

Even if it does take longer than expected to appear and Cox gets around to widely deploying SDV, I'm much happier getting the channels while I can and losing them when it's a technical requirement, rather than being shafted for months in advance by some administrative decision.
wierdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #1202
Testpattern
Testpattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfranklin View Post
http://www.cox.com/oklahoma/digitalcable/okc2.asp#hdtv

That should be marked with the more recent channels as 'NEW'. At least that's how it showed up for me.

Are you guys back in one peice after the ice storms? My call center took calls for your area durring that, sounded like a total mess.
Thanks for the feedback.

Ice storm fallout still presents problems around here. I'm currently waiting to have more trees removed as a result of the damage. Not seen one like this before... maybe global warming will keep these from happening down the road...

Thanks again...
Testpattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:24 AM   #1203
24k Kate

Well...As of 9am April 10th, the missing Cox HD channels (Discovery, TLC, HGTV, Food, Animal and a bunch of others) here in Norfolk, VA have reappeared. I wonder if they will still be there tonight....
24k Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:15 AM   #1204
jfranklin
CSR, Cox Hampton Rds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testpattern View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

Ice storm fallout still presents problems around here. I'm currently waiting to have more trees removed as a result of the damage. Not seen one like this before... maybe global warming will keep these from happening down the road...

Thanks again...
Something good should come from global warming. I know my summer time electric bill isn't liking it too much. With all the weird weather around lately I'm worried about this years hurricane season here. My area good off without much of an issue when Isabel came through in 2003, and we're over due for a rough one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdo View Post

Even if it does take longer than expected to appear and Cox gets around to widely deploying SDV, I'm much happier getting the channels while I can and losing them when it's a technical requirement, rather than being shafted for months in advance by some administrative decision.
That's what I kept telling the supervisors and anyone else that would listen.
jfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 01:21 AM   #1205
ScottEllsworth

In OC, many of the missing channels showed up during the nine hours my new TiVo was functioning. Pretty darn cool - HistHD!

From what the cable guy was saying, it looks like they were actually supposed to light up on the 15th.

Scott
ScottEllsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #1206
miadlor

Cox officially added those chans and at this point "now" going to update cable cards with future HD channels when they are available.
miadlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #1207
Breadfan

Cox still hasn't added them in Fort Smith, Arkansas.
Breadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #1208
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by miadlor View Post
Cox officially added those chans and at this point "now" going to update cable cards with future HD channels when they are available.
Until SDV deploys in your area and they start taking some away...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #1209
Rolow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkovach View Post
I'm in the Phoenix area - have had the HD TiVo for 2 months now, and each month on the anniversary of my install, I lose my premium and tier channels. When this happens, I've noted that the Sub Exp Time on the 2nd page of the CA Screen has elapsed. Each time, I've called Cox and they've sent hits to the Cablecard. Tonight it didn't work, so I rebooted and they sent another set of hits. That worked, and now the Sub Exp Time is on Apr 27th, so I'm good for another month...

Anyways, it appears to me as though something on Cox's end is not automatically sending the required signals each month to update the Sub Exp Time on the cablecards.

Jeff
So after this post I took note of my SUB Expire Time April 13th. Sure enought I got up this morning and the fix would not work. So I did a hard reboot and called cox to have them send a hit and all my channels came back immediately.
I had to do the same thing last month but never noticed the sub expire time in the menu before. So at least now I know when I going to have to call cox my ne SUB Expire Time is May 13th. I have not had to have my CC replace since December 29th I can live with the calls to cox csr but having to set aside 4 hours for a truck roll is ridicules.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #1210
lofar

I have been considering buying a Tivo HD for quite a while now and ditching the cox DVR's that I have now but reading some of this thread has me worried a little bit. Are these problems related to only the Tivo Series 3 or are they also on the series 2 HD models?

I'd also like to add a comment on the whole Cox DVR thing, since I've had two for about two years now. Many have said they want to ditch their tivo and go cox dvr, well let me tell you it may not be a better decision. I have gone through about six or more Cox, Scientific Atlanta DVR's. They all have the same problems. They will periodically erase all scheduled recordings for no reason. HD recordings very often play back with choppy/broken sound to the point where it's not even watchable. Other times, erased recordings will come back from the dead and play in place of another recording that you recently recorded. It will also randomly split up your recordings, usually I end up having recordings that are about 55 minutes long and then a second recording that is 5 minutes long with the rest of the show. So while with the Cox DVR you may get all your channels good luck getting it to reliably record and play back anything. Cox gives me the same run-around bull they give you having me switch out the cable boxes every time and then blaming the problem on my inside wiring, I wouldn't be surprised if they started blaming it on sunspots.

I think all the Tivo problems, and all the Cox DVR problems lie in the piece of crap Scientific Atlanta junk equipment they keep using. Cox needs to dump Scientific Atlanta.

Anyways, so I'm on the edge here wondering if I should purchase two tivo HD or just stick with my crappy cox equipment. Sounds like neither one of them is a good choice.

Last edited by lofar : 04-15-2008 at 01:02 PM.
lofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #1211
ajwees41

lofar good luck finding a Series 2HD there are Series 3 or Tivo HD.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #1212
lofar

Sorry that's what I meant.. the Tivo HD.. I was under the impression that the Tivo HD is really just a series 2 with HD added. Trying to sort out my confusion between Tivo HD and the series 3 which has HD as well.
lofar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #1213
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

FWIW, My Series 3 with two S cards has been relatively flawless since the install. I've had my S3 that has cablecards runing pretty much since Tivo brought the S3 to market. I've had to restart due to a cablecard acting up 3-4 times ever.

It seems that the Tivo HDs have the bulk of the problems.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #1214
SDRR

My Tivo HD with a SA M-card is having similar issues. (I'm with Cox in San Diego)

I've been losing all channels BUT the local HD channels every couple of days and I had to reboot to get them back.

But I just got update 9.3a, and now even a reboot won't get them back. I don't get the usual "Acquiring Channel Lineup" screen.

I'm going to ask Cox to reset them...

Anyone have this sort of problem with 9.3a?
SDRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #1215
hddude55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRR View Post
My Tivo HD with a SA M-card is having similar issues. (I'm with Cox in San Diego)

I've been losing all channels BUT the local HD channels every couple of days and I had to reboot to get them back.

But I just got update 9.3a, and now even a reboot won't get them back. I don't get the usual "Acquiring Channel Lineup" screen.

I'm going to ask Cox to reset them...

Anyone have this sort of problem with 9.3a?
Oh man, this is sick! I had the same experience today and I too received 9.3 witihin the last day. It was bad enough having to reboot every couple days to get my channels back, but now for the first time a reboot won't work. Maybe there is something about the 9.3 "upgrade" that means we will now have to have Cox roll a truck every time we lose channels. Swell.

It's about time to put this series3 piece of crap on Ebay, and I don't care if it's SA's fault or Cox's fault or TiVo's fault. This problem should have been researched and solved months ago.
hddude55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:39 PM   #1216
craigo
Broncos Fan

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55 View Post
Oh man, this is sick! I had the same experience today and I too received 9.3 witihin the last day. It was bad enough having to reboot every couple days to get my channels back, but now for the first time a reboot won't work. Maybe there is something about the 9.3 "upgrade" that means we will now have to have Cox roll a truck every time we lose channels. Swell.

It's about time to put this series3 piece of crap on Ebay, and I don't care if it's SA's fault or Cox's fault or TiVo's fault. This problem should have been researched and solved months ago.
I finally had enough of the dropped channels issues and went back to the S-cards for my S3. So far, I've only seen 2 SD channels that I watch every once in a while, FF every couple of minutes. It's really not a big deal since most of my viewing is on HD channels. No more dropped channels. I am almost, once again, a happy Tivo owner.
craigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:51 PM   #1217
hddude55

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigo View Post
I finally had enough of the dropped channels issues and went back to the S-cards for my S3. So far, I've only seen 2 SD channels that I watch every once in a while, FF every couple of minutes. It's really not a big deal since most of my viewing is on HD channels. No more dropped channels. I am almost, once again, a happy Tivo owner.
Do you even have 9.3? Until you have 9.3 for a few weeks I wouldn't feel too safe. It appears something about 9.3 has taken a bad problem and made it into an unbearable one, unless you think rolling a Cox truck every week is realistic. I shouldn't be surprised that this has happened. 9.3 was rolled out before the missing channels problem was even fully understood, much less resolved.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #1218
craigo
Broncos Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55 View Post
Do you even have 9.3? Until you have 9.3 for a few weeks I wouldn't feel too safe. It appears something about 9.3 has taken a bad problem and made it into an unbearable one, unless you think rolling a Cox truck every week is realistic. I shouldn't be surprised that this has happened. 9.3 was rolled out before the missing channels problem was even fully understood, much less resolved.
Yes, I have 9.3. I've never experienced dropped channels with the Scards. The only issue I've had with them is the FF every couple of minutes on certain SD channels. I switched over to the Mcard and the FF problems went away, but of course, the dropped channels started happening. After a few months, I just got sick and tired of rebooting or having Cox come out. Now, back with the Scards and it really isn't that bad. No dropped channels and only a few SD channels FF/Skip. Still not ideal, but I'll take it for now.

YMMV
craigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #1219
hddude55

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigo View Post
Yes, I have 9.3. I've never experienced dropped channels with the Scards. The only issue I've had with them is the FF every couple of minutes on certain SD channels. I switched over to the Mcard and the FF problems went away, but of course, the dropped channels started happening. After a few months, I just got sick and tired of rebooting or having Cox come out. Now, back with the Scards and it really isn't that bad. No dropped channels and only a few SD channels FF/Skip. Still not ideal, but I'll take it for now.

YMMV
OK I'll try to have the cablecard1 replaced today with an Scard, assuming the tech has one on the truck -- and that's a huge assumption. However, I have had Scards and Mcards and had the problem has occurred before with either combination, but maybe the latest Scards have newer programming. Its worth a try anyway. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #1220
terrab

I'm new to this thread but I am done with Tivo not resolving their issues but still having no problem charging me every month. I have a series 3 with a M-stream card and I am in the Phoenix area. Tivo is worthless. I have to reboot at least once a day. I have tried the single stream cards and they just cause everything to be audio/video desynched. The M-stream card at least gets me content but only for a limited time. Cox blames Tivo and Tivo blames Cox. According to Tivo they "may" be putting out a dongle of some sort to resovle the issue, but i think that is a lot of crap.

I don't see Tivo fixing this issue any time soon and I will be switching over to Cox DVR instead. I really think that we need to get a class action suit going against tivo. They sell a product that does not perform as advertised and do nothing to resolve it. I am several months in to trying to resolve this and there is no fix in sight.
terrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #1221
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Well... it's hard to chase down a problem that isn't 100% repeatable in a lab.

I have the same S3 with 2 SA s-cards working great.

This really makes it look like a Cox config problem to me. I'm on the same system, same hardware, and mine works.

When I was installed the installers bailed saying the channels will come in time as the cards update... and they did. Then they crapped out. I put in a trouble ticket and 'magically' it fixed itself over night. I'm convinced they did something on the back end to fix it. I canceled the truck roll and it's been fine since.

I have a friend at work going though the same loss of channels / grey screen problems with cable cards in his TV.

Common denominator? Cox. Think abut it - they have nothing to lose and everything to gain if we give up on cable cards.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #1222
JayBird

I had cable cards installed in my TiVo HD and my TV on Saturday.

See this post for details of the experience.
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:10 AM   #1223
dtplink

CableCard Firmware Upgrade

Just went through a surprise firmware upgrade. I have a multistream card (Cox, San Diego) and don't see any change to my service and have not received any notification about what changed. Anyone have any clues?

Since the upgrade to TiVo 9.3a I have had strange behavior with recorded programs being difficult to start. I have had to restart the recorder to get normal operation back. It may be coincidence that it happened that it started right after the 9.3 upgrade.
dtplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:24 AM   #1224
menos

http://www.cox.com/Oklahoma/hdtv/hdchannels.asp

6 more HD channels in the OKC and Tulsa markets launching on May 20th.

Wooohooo for Sci-Fi HD!!!!!!
menos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:31 AM   #1225
5cats
just jd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtplink View Post
I have had to restart the recorder to get normal operation back. It may be coincidence that it happened that it started right after the 9.3 upgrade.
Yeah, that's no coincidence. Hopefully TiVo will release yet-another-update to help us out.
-jd.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 AM   #1226
Rolow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtplink View Post

Since the upgrade to TiVo 9.3a I have had strange behavior with recorded programs being difficult to start. I have had to restart the recorder to get normal operation back. It may be coincidence that it happened that it started right after the 9.3 upgrade.
Does it start to play? I mean theres a picture then it freezes with no sound? I'm having the same problem and I thought it was a bad hard drive.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:18 PM   #1227
dtplink

Quirky playback

I find that the playback is quirky. It starts to play back for a second and then stops. Switch to a different show and the same thing happens. Switch to live TV and the same thing happens. Reboot and everything is normal. Of course I still have a "black background" problem when I switch from listening to music served from my PC and want to watch a recording or live TV. Again, I have to reboot to get back to normal. I had begun to suspect that the problem was because of changing from one mode (AV2) when using the X-Box to TiVo (HDMI1) might have caused the problem. Haven't pinned it down yet.
dtplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:43 PM   #1228
TobyG

Cox in the Baton Rouge area has also let the new HD channels through on the cable cards. Awesome to finally get DiscoveryHD.
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #1229
barrettd
Boomer Sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by menos View Post
http://www.cox.com/Oklahoma/hdtv/hdchannels.asp

6 more HD channels in the OKC and Tulsa markets launching on May 20th.

Wooohooo for Sci-Fi HD!!!!!!
Hopefully they won't delay these being released to our cablecards like the fiasco with the last round of HD channels.

Also, I'd much rather have F/X HD than any news/weather channels. Glad to see Bravo, though.
barrettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #1230
thezonie

So my Series 3 that I'd bought the week they came out went belly-up last week. TiVo has been great, over-nighting me a replacement system (yeah, it was a refurb, and yeah, the front had a nice dent in it) so now the only issue is that I need to get my 2 Cox (Phoenix) CableCARDs paired with my new box.

So I put the first card in the first slot of the new unit (just like the tech did over a year and a half ago), got to the screen with the two IDs, and called Cox up, hoping to get someone who would understand my situation and help me with what I needed. (Riiight.)

I explained my situation (that I had received a new TiVo to replace my old one and that I had put the new cards in the old box and just needed the new box to be paired with the cards) but the CSR insisted that it would require a tech to come out and "install" the cards in my TiVo, and that it would cost me $68.

I basically explained that I understood what was involved in "installing" the cards, and all I needed was to give them the IDs of the card and box so that they could be paired and I could get all my channels back. The CSR didn't seem to fully understand the situation and insisted that I needed to schedule a tech to come out. I told her that I didn't want to pay $68 for a guy to come to my house, look at my TV, make a phone call, and read the numbers on the screen to someone to complete the "installation", and could I talk to a manager.

A manager wasn't available at the time, so I asked that they call me back. Well, when they did I wasn't home (it was way more than the 2 hours that the CSR said it would take for me to get the call) but the message I got was the standard "If you have a TiVo then a tech needs to install the cards".

I guess my question is if anyone else has gone through this process with successful results, or am I just wasting my time trying to find someone reasonable to help me out? I've decided that if the only way to get my service back is to pay the $68 then I'm just going to cancel HBO and Starz. (The Sopranos is finished, anyway.)
thezonie is offline   Reply With Quote