TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2008, 03:43 PM   #931
tagpats
Tagpats

What channel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
So this got my channels back with out a reboot. Lets see how long it lasts.
What channel in your lineup did you tune to to run this fix? Does it only matter what 1 tuner is tuned to or does the 2nd tuner matter?
tagpats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #932
Rolow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagpats View Post
What channel in your lineup did you tune to to run this fix? Does it only matter what 1 tuner is tuned to or does the 2nd tuner matter?
I tuned one tuner to antenna channel 22. I don't remember if i tuned the second tuner to the same channel.
Rolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #933
tagpats
Tagpats

Thanks
Old 02-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #934
DaddyBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hddude55 View Post
BTW, I noticed the 6th visit to your house resulted in a tech taking out two cards and leaving you with one multistream for your series3. I'm kind of surprised you didn't know that was a problem as you definitely seem like someone who knows a bit about these machines and had obviously had a lot of bad experience with ignorant techs.
That one was funny. I was not home for that visit. The tech came out and did that and left. The wife called him back almost immediately and told him she could no longer record/watch 2 different channels. He immediately returned and put the old ones in. You are right, I shoulda included that info.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #935
RosieKitty

Cox Install Report

Where: Oklahoma City
What: Install two M-cards in new Series 3
How: Smooth as silk. The tech knew what he was doing and everything is working correctly. I was quoted 45.00 for the truck roll (30 for first card and 15 for second) and 2.95/card per month. Very satisfied with Cox right now (and blown away by HD and the TiVo).
RosieKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:03 PM   #936
menos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieKitty View Post
Where: Oklahoma City
What: Install two M-cards in new Series 3
How: Smooth as silk. The tech knew what he was doing and everything is working correctly. I was quoted 45.00 for the truck roll (30 for first card and 15 for second) and 2.95/card per month. Very satisfied with Cox right now (and blown away by HD and the TiVo).

RosieKitty

Do you have Food Network HD (745), HGTV HD (737) and Travel Channel HD (744). Some of us are having a problem getting those channels.
menos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #937
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

So I have been experiencing the channel drops for a few weeks now. Like everyone else, a reboot resolved it every time. It was frustrating but did not terribly impact my Tivo-use. Now today a restart will not fix it (as many others have reported).

I called Tivo and they indicated they were receiving a fair number of calls about it but that the Cable Company (Cox) needed to address it. So I called Cox and the woman I spoke with says that she's been getting a large # of similar calls regarding the cablecards in my area (Chandler, Arizona) and that there is nothing they can do from the office to fix it... they must send a tech to replace the card.

Fantastic! Now I get to spend another hour of my life with an irritated, ignorant cable-tech while he fumbles through the install.

Has anyone heard any more concrete information on the supposed co-op investigation of Tivo/Cox/SA? The CSRs I spoke with at both Tivo and Cox had no idea. I've sent an email to Cox exec relations dept. Hopefully I'll get some answers there. Will share anything I learn. My tech visit is scheduled for Friday am.
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 AM   #938
tagpats
Tagpats

Feel free to swap out cards, but if you have the same luck I did, you're likely wasting your time. From what Tivo has told me, this problem is not unique to that card. It is a flaw with all of the SA cards. Either that or they are just blaming SA when it's Tivo's fault. I have no idea.

I have tried 2 M cards that both worked equally well when the channels were coming through and equally poorly when the channels dropped out. I usually lose mine once a week and until lately could get them to come back with a reboot. Mine have been back since Saturday, so I'm due for another drop very soon.

If you happen to achieve long-term results with the new M card, I would be interested.

Has anyone found that simply using a new card has really fixed their problem?
Old 02-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #939
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagpats View Post
Feel free to swap out cards, but if you have the same luck I did, you're likely wasting your time. From what Tivo has told me, this problem is not unique to that card. It is a flaw with all of the SA cards. Either that or they are just blaming SA when it's Tivo's fault. I have no idea.

I have tried 2 M cards that both worked equally well when the channels were coming through and equally poorly when the channels dropped out. I usually lose mine once a week and until lately could get them to come back with a reboot. Mine have been back since Saturday, so I'm due for another drop very soon.

If you happen to achieve long-term results with the new M card, I would be interested.

Has anyone found that simply using a new card has really fixed their problem?
I don't expect it to be a long term fix unfortunately. I'm just looking to get back to losing the channels once a week or so and fixing it with a reboot. I'm hoping to live with that scenario for another month or two before the reboot won't work again and I have to have the next one replaced.

Does anyone have any reason to believe that my 2nd M-card won't last as long as the first before rebooting won't work?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #940
tagpats
Tagpats

That's a good point. If that strategy is successful, that might buy enough time for a fix for the card or the Tivo. I really hate to think about getting rid of my Tivo and having to use a Cox DVR. It's like going from Wii to Atari. Well, probably a bigger step down than that.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #941
JimRI

Cox RI coming out for second install attempt...

I called Cox tech support about my "incompatibility" issue...the woman told me that the installer was incorrect and that the Motorola s-cards should work with the TiVo HD. She suggested that for my next installation appointment, I request a technician who is familiar with the TiVo HD...this gives me hope. I then called TiVo tech support and got the same response. So, I'm going for my second attempt tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that this goes well. In the mean time, I've left the two TiVo HD boxes connected to my home network and to the televisions in my house (even though I'm watching analog) and love the MRV. After getting a taste of this, I'll be really bummed if these cablecards do not work.
JimRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #942
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRI View Post
I called Cox tech support about my "incompatibility" issue...the woman told me that the installer was incorrect and that the Motorola s-cards should work with the TiVo HD. She suggested that for my next installation appointment, I request a technician who is familiar with the TiVo HD...this gives me hope. I then called TiVo tech support and got the same response. So, I'm going for my second attempt tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers that this goes well. In the mean time, I've left the two TiVo HD boxes connected to my home network and to the televisions in my house (even though I'm watching analog) and love the MRV. After getting a taste of this, I'll be really bummed if these cablecards do not work.
You should certainly file a complaint against the first installer. That guy needs to know he was wrong so he doesn't continue to give people the poor service you received.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #943
tagpats
Tagpats

You're sitting pretty with Motorola. Tivo indicated that they have not had the same loss of channel issues with Motorola that they are having with SA cards. Get Tivo on the line when your installer shows up if he's clueless.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #944
Sharkky9

Scientific Atlanta CableCards

I just had a Cox technician at my house(Scottsdale, AZ) to solve the CableCard problem with my Tivo. HE informed me that it is a Scientific Atlanta problem, and that Motorola cable card's do not have the same problem. He says that Tivo sent Cox an email informing them that Tivo and SA were working together to find a solution, but there is no ETA for a fix. Hopefully something will happen soon...
I also have to reboot my Tivo every 24 hours.
Sharkky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #945
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

I wish I was offered a choice of CC manufacturer.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:35 PM   #946
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Am I the only person in the Phoenix area with SA cards not having this disappearing channel problem regularly?

I think I've seen this problem all of 2-3 times since I installed my S3 and I ordered the S3 the day it went up for sale.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:51 PM   #947
jebbbz

I've had my Tivo HD a bit over two weeks and had the problem three times over as many days about a week ago. Twice I had to reboot and once I got away with the CC menu fix. Before that my problem was the loss of all video the day I set the box up and again the day I had my CCs installed. The latter problem seems to correlate with how much time you spend deep in the Tivo menus. I have no idea how the disappearing channel problem comes and goes but I'll just keep my fingers crossed it doesn't get as bad for me as it has with some people here.
jebbbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #948
jhershauer

We have two Tivo HDs, and one of them has never had the dropped channels problem. That one has had the same m-card in it since we got it hooked up.

The other one started having the problem shortly after the Fall Update. At the time it had two s-cards in it and one of the cards stopped receiving any channels. The tech replaced both cards with, supposedly, two more s-cards. However, a couple of weeks later, after rebooting the Tivo, one of the cards did a firmware update and "turned into" an M-card. It turns out both of the "s-cards" the guy put in were actually m-cards, but the Tivo recognized them as s-cards before the firmware update.

Well, once that card in slot 1 updated itself to an M-card, we started getting the dropped channels issue (every couple of days, and all of the channels except 1-22 and local HD would go black). At some point, a reboot would no longer fix the problem. We went through this process with another couple of cablecards as well.

When the last one went south a couple of weeks ago, I was slow to call Cox. The channels were out for two days before I called on Saturday and scheduled a tech for Monday. On Saturday, I also tried the work-around in this thread where you tune to a local channel and go into the diagnostics menu. That didn't seem to work. On Sunday, we tried tuning into a non-local channel and discovered all of the channels were back. It's now been over a week and a half since they came back and we haven't had any problems.

So, there you go. If you made it through my long-winded story, you can see that the fix is just to let it sit there for a few days and it will magically get better.

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT View Post
Am I the only person in the Phoenix area with SA cards not having this disappearing channel problem regularly?

I think I've seen this problem all of 2-3 times since I installed my S3 and I ordered the S3 the day it went up for sale.

jhershauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:50 AM   #949
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:

The issue is impacting primarily people with TivoHDs and SA M-cards it seems.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #950
Testpattern
Testpattern

We also have been experiencing the black screen on the three new HD channels on our S3 system. Never an issue with the previous HD or SD channels. These new channels are basically down 100% of the time now although I "think" they were coming through initially. Rebooting does nothing nor does re-initialization by Cox.

Several calls to Cox finally revealed that they recognize the problem. That it is the result of the cablecard failing to process these newer frequencies. The cause remains unknown. There is no commitment for a fix but... they have hopes of finding something as a result of their work with the Cablecard company.

We have SA cards. Cox did not say if this was related only to the SA cards or possibly the Motorola also. When we got our SA cards last summer there was no possibility of getting the Motorola cards in OKC. I have no idea if both are now utilized in the OKC area but reading from above it appears the Motorola cards are not an answer.

I guess we're in a wait and see holding pattern.
Testpattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #951
craigo
Broncos Fan

Quote:
If you're talking about SA M-cards, then you just may be the only person in Phoenix not having the problem. My S3 had the S-cards and worked great for about a year. Around Nov-Dec/07, I started to get the Audio/Video FF issue every couple of seconds on the SD channels. Had Cox out a number of times and finally had them switch to the M-Cards. Now, like everybody else, I'm getting channels dropped every few days.
craigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #952
wickerbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testpattern View Post
We also have been experiencing the black screen on the three new HD channels on our S3 system. Never an issue with the previous HD or SD channels. These new channels are basically down 100% of the time now although I "think" they were coming through initially. Rebooting does nothing nor does re-initialization by Cox.

Several calls to Cox finally revealed that they recognize the problem. That it is the result of the cablecard failing to process these newer frequencies. The cause remains unknown. There is no commitment for a fix but... they have hopes of finding something as a result of their work with the Cablecard company.

We have SA cards. Cox did not say if this was related only to the SA cards or possibly the Motorola also. When we got our SA cards last summer there was no possibility of getting the Motorola cards in OKC. I have no idea if both are now utilized in the OKC area but reading from above it appears the Motorola cards are not an answer.

Cable systems are usually either Motorola or SA. OKC is SA and Tulsa is Motorola. I have had no problems with my Motorola cards and my friend in OKC has had problems almost weekly with his SA cards. SA cards appear to be total crap.
wickerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #953
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigo View Post
If you're talking about SA M-cards, then you just may be the only person in Phoenix not having the problem. My S3 had the S-cards and worked great for about a year. Around Nov-Dec/07, I started to get the Audio/Video FF issue every couple of seconds on the SD channels. Had Cox out a number of times and finally had them switch to the M-Cards. Now, like everybody else, I'm getting channels dropped every few days.
I'm pretty sure they are both s-cards, but at one time the S3 reported one as an s-card and one as an m-card. today they both say s-card and it's work'n like a champ (knock on entertainment center).

That explains it...
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:09 PM   #954
craigo
Broncos Fan

Quote:
I'm pretty sure they are both s-cards, but at one time the S3 reported one as an s-card and one as an m-card. today they both say s-card and it's work'n like a champ (knock on entertainment center).

That explains it...
You know, that's funny you say that. When they came out a few weeks ago, they assured me that they were installing M-Cards. After they left, my problems with the audio/video (common problem on the S-card) was gone. Then, the channels started dropping a few days later (common problem on the M-card), so I assumed the M-cards were, in fact, installed. Now that I look at the diagnostic screen, it says I have S-cards.

Given the problems I lost and the new problems I have, I do think I have M-cards. Could just be a hiccup on the S3 report.
craigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #955
JimRI

Success!

The Cox tech showed up to my house with 3 Motorola S-cards. He told me that the 4th card was on its way with his supervisor. The supervisor showed up 5 minutes later with the 4th card. Both techs had experience with TiVos and laughed when I told them about my experience earlier in the week. All cards went in and activated smoothly. It took about 25 min. to get both TiVo HDs up and running. I'm now repeating the Guided Setup as I type this. I know that I'm not imagining this, but the picture quality that I'm getting from both of these TiVos is much better than the Cox set-top boxes I had before (1 sd box and 1 hd dvr). The picture is definitely sharper.
JimRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #956
esb1981

Quote:

Testpattern, I have had the EXACT same problem - gray screen on 3 HD channels, Tivo says "no incoming signal." I'm with Cox in Hartford, CT, but I have Motorola cards. Cox has been out a ton of times and they haven't been able to figure it out. My theory all along has been that the cable cards are mapping these 3 channels to the wrong frequencies -- for example, the Tivo diagnostics screen shows a frequency of 615 MHz, but I know that the channel is supposed to be on 849 MHz. Cox hasn't been able to figure it out.

Any ideas on what I can say to Cox that will help them understand what the problem is? Definitely keep us posted on how this gets resolved for you.
esb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #957
OrangeKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by esb1981 View Post
Testpattern, I have had the EXACT same problem - gray screen on 3 HD channels, Tivo says "no incoming signal."
Once a month or so when I turn on my Samsung DLP I will get a black screen with a "no signal" message. If I reboot my S3 Tivo by unplugging all is well. Until I reboot the Tivo I cannot get any sort of video signal out of it. The sound, which is routed to my receiver via optical SPDIF, is fine. Is this behavior a manifestation of the channel loss problem or do I have a different problem? I have two SA cable cards here in Vegas. The Tivo S3 is directly connected to my Samsung HLP 5063 DLP via a HDMI to DVI cable.
OrangeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #958
tagpats
Tagpats

Gone Again

Well, so much for "rebalancing." That didn't end up doing anything to my Cox channels as they went out again. This time I was able to reboot my Tivo and they came back the first time.

Guess I'll keep hanging in there until there is some resolution to the problem or I simply can't get my channels to return. I'm not sure how long I'll be able to keep this Cox DVR for free as backup, but they picked Scientific Atlanta, not me, so hopefully until I'm sure the problem is fixed.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #959
RosieKitty

I Spoke Too Soon...

Quote:

Well, the next day after my "smooth" install, we lost FOOD HD and Travel HD. Unfortunately, the whole reason I got cable in the first place was for the Food Channel. Very sad.

So wait until you hear what Cox told us - that yesterday Food and Travel ordered them to make their HD channels NOT available to CableCards (i.e. us). Ha ha ha ha. I just love talking to cable company CSRs...
RosieKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #960
wierdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieKitty View Post
So wait until you hear what Cox told us - that yesterday Food and Travel ordered them to make their HD channels NOT available to CableCards (i.e. us). Ha ha ha ha. I just love talking to cable company CSRs...
So close..

Cox seems to have ordered the local franchises to not give any new channel adds to the CableCARD users, even in areas where SDV is not active or imminent. It's a total crock.

I'm toying with the idea of switching back to DirecTV, even if it means being unable to use my TiVos, because I'm so annoyed at this idiocy. I could understand it if SDV was active or due to be turned on in the next few months.
wierdo is offline   Reply With Quote