TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-04-2007, 09:58 AM   #751
JayBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightowl33 View Post
For the record, I used a signal amplifier from Philips that was rated for 'digital cable' to split the signal, so I could also run it to the TV directly.
What's the model number of the amplifier, and where did you get it?
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:30 PM   #752
Ajay747
Las Vegas, NV area

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim4umd View Post
Just had my install completed today(12/3/2007)! Went great! Cox Las Vegas Cable said they only had Cable Card and not MCard when i set up my appointment. When they showed up they had MCard. So thats good a savings of $2 per box and the digital gateway fee per card. I have 2 boxes I had installed. Cost per box for install was $50. but now I pay less per month thanks to not having a cable box They installer said I would not get HBO, so I feared SDV or switched digital video. BUT i get all my channels. NO PPV or InDemand but hey. that is over rated anyways. I wanna watch my stuff on the day it premieres, not the day after. If any one has any questions feel free to post a reply to my message and I will reply
TIM,

Thanks for your recent post regarding the COX Vegas install. I am a new guy to this forum and very motivated in purchasing a Series 3 before Xmas unfortuantely I do not have extensive time to search all the post on this board regarding MCards, Cable Cards, etc.

Can you offer your recommendation on what to ask COX CSR for regarding getting these MCards delivered and installed in a new S3. Do I want to mention that I have a TIVO or just 2 new TVs that need cards to prevent some pricing bias? I have not attempted any Cox DVR and it sounds like the new S3 may well be my best application.
Are you able to also receive the MHD (music) channels with no problem? I do not need HBO or other PPV but some of these current HD channels from Cox would be nice to keep.

Thanks for your help and advice while I search for the best pricing for the Tivo S3.

AJay
Henderson NV
Ajay747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #753
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay747 View Post
TIM,

Thanks for your recent post regarding the COX Vegas install. I am a new guy to this forum and very motivated in purchasing a Series 3 before Xmas unfortuantely I do not have extensive time to search all the post on this board regarding MCards, Cable Cards, etc.

Can you offer your recommendation on what to ask COX CSR for regarding getting these MCards delivered and installed in a new S3. Do I want to mention that I have a TIVO or just 2 new TVs that need cards to prevent some pricing bias? I have not attempted any Cox DVR and it sounds like the new S3 may well be my best application.
Are you able to also receive the MHD (music) channels with no problem? I do not need HBO or other PPV but some of these current HD channels from Cox would be nice to keep.

Thanks for your help and advice while I search for the best pricing for the Tivo S3.

AJay
Henderson NV
You will still need two Mcards for the S3 the TivoHD can handle one Mcard, but the S3 can't.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #754
pdm

Cox in northern Virginia just rolled out 11 new HD channels, none of them work with cable card , SDV I guess. http://www.cox.com/fairfax/press_rel...HDchannels.stm

Hope they come out with that usb dongle soon. Guess this is what you get when you are on bleeding edge.
pdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:49 PM   #755
GREATDANE

Sdv

What Is Sdv???
GREATDANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:59 PM   #756
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREATDANE View Post
What Is Sdv???
Switched Digital Video. Cox has plans to deploy SDV in most of it's big markets (already started in Fairfax VA and Phoenix AZ and slated to deploy in Orange County CA in early 2008).
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:03 AM   #757
ajwees41

Quote:
To Ajwees41 Its Better To Tell Cox Exactly What Your Tivo Is, Pricing Is Standing And Will Better Prepare The Technician To Install The Cards For You. Ive Been On Install Calls Where The Customer Didnt Explain That He Had A Tivo S3 And Television And All It Did Was Mess Things Up For Him
Did you you even read what I posted? He wants to get a Mcard for an S3 when he needs two Scards since the S3 doesn't have Mcard support yet. Also did you get premission from Cox to post? There was someone on the local avs website who was posting, but aren't now because Cox said they can't.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:28 AM   #758
ajwees41

Currently, the Series3 HD DVR will support M-Cards in single-stream mode, which means that the DVR requires two (2) CableCARDs to run in dual-tuner mode. The DVR must also be running software version 8.0.1c or later. (S-Cards are supported in all software versions.) Your Series3 HD DVR may have shipped with an earlier version of the software installed. The software will be updated automatically, but not until the DVR completes Guided Setup for the first time, and then downloads and indexes the full 14 days of Guide data immediately after Guided Setup.

To ensure that your CableCARD installation runs smoothly, we recommend that you complete Guided Setup on your Series3 HD DVR before the installer arrives to install the CableCARDs. If you perform Guided Setup at least two days before your installation appointment, your DVR will update to the latest software automatically and will be ready to run either S-Cards or M-Cards.
If you perform Guided Setup on the day of the appointment, you should check your software version and, if necessary, force a software update. For more information, go to Software Version Troubleshooting.

We are exploring support of M-Cards in multi-stream mode for the Series3 HD DVR.
you are wrong the S3 the older tivo still needs two cards. It's the newer TivoHD that will accept 1 Multistream card.

Last edited by ajwees41 : 12-17-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:46 AM   #759
GREATDANE

Well, Aren't You Special
GREATDANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:03 AM   #760
CRAZYCHARLIE

What

Hey Greatdane , Go Away
CRAZYCHARLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:02 AM   #761
ajwees41

Quote:
Well, Aren't You Special
if I am so special why did you delete your post I quoted?
Old 12-07-2007, 11:37 AM   #762
Pafrican

Question for the board,

Every couple of days I lose picture on my non-local channels (espn, tnt, fx, food network hd channels, and the like). Picture for local and local-hd works fine. A simple restart of the TivoHD fixes the issue only to pop up again in a day or two. The TivoHD has one M-card installed.

I called cox and asked if they'd send a new signal. I restarted after that but I expect to see the problem arise again. They've scheduled a tech to come out but is there anything I can do to fix the problem or any lingo I need to use with the phone tech?

Thanks.
Pafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:24 AM   #763
steinercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pafrican View Post
Question for the board,

Every couple of days I lose picture on my non-local channels (espn, tnt, fx, food network hd channels, and the like). Picture for local and local-hd works fine. A simple restart of the TivoHD fixes the issue only to pop up again in a day or two. The TivoHD has one M-card installed.

I called cox and asked if they'd send a new signal. I restarted after that but I expect to see the problem arise again. They've scheduled a tech to come out but is there anything I can do to fix the problem or any lingo I need to use with the phone tech?

Thanks.
Same problem here with a THD in Las Vegas using 2 cable cards (not M i don't think)

ABC HD just blacked out on me today and hasn't come back since.

I'm really thinking of giving this TiVO up before the 30-day exchange period expires.

I finally solved my pixelation problems...but now this.
steinercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #764
barrettd
Boomer Sooner

For those in Oklahoma City, Cox will tell you they do not have M-cards yet, but just ask for them to put that request for an M-card in the notes for the installer. Also, make sure to put in the notes that it is for a Tivo HD install. I had an install done last weekend and the tech showed up with a handful of M-cards. Install went fine, but I made the mistake of redoing the guided setup instead of just configuring the card, so that added about 20 minutes to the install time. Fortunately, my tech was patient and welcomed my help in setting the Tivo HD up. He had done a few Series 3 installs before, but it seemed like mine was his first THD install. He was in and out in about 45 minutes.
barrettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #765
Nightowl33

Sorry for the delay to those who asked questions:

Have I had issues with gray channels? Yes, it seems to be a Tivo software thing, from what I've gathered from other threads - so I'm biding my time, there.

The amplifier I used was a Philips SDW5014, got it at Circuit City.
Nightowl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #766
Ajay747
Las Vegas, NV area

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwees41 View Post
You will still need two Mcards for the S3 the TivoHD can handle one Mcard, but the S3 can't.
Thank you for your informed posts in this forum as I am new and appreciate all the direction. Yes, I will ask for 2 Mcards(multistream) for a new S3 to run the 2 tuners from Cox Las Vegas.
I am standing by a response from TIM (above) before I call COX.
Ps...I am still shopping for the new S3 as TStore is out of stock and might look at CC for the unit with the AAA coupon. Any other thoughts??

Thanks again............Ajay
Ajay747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:39 PM   #767
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay747 View Post
Thank you for your informed posts in this forum as I am new and appreciate all the direction. Yes, I will ask for 2 Mcards(multistream) for a new S3 to run the 2 tuners from Cox Las Vegas.
I am standing by a response from TIM (above) before I call COX.
Ps...I am still shopping for the new S3 as TStore is out of stock and might look at CC for the unit with the AAA coupon. Any other thoughts??

Thanks again............Ajay
Are you set on the original S3 if yes you can also get two single stream cards instead of the Multistream ones since the S3 doesn't use Mcards yet.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #768
mrbrown2195

Looks like Cox Baton Rouge rolled out SDV. Friend of mine who has a CableCARD TV set called me today and told me that they had added CNNHD, Food Network HD, and HD Theater to the lineup - he could only get the last one on his TV. Called Cox and was told that CableCARD customers can't get CNN or Food Network.

I can't pick them up on my TiVo either, so I am assuming they've rolled out SDV here.
mrbrown2195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #769
sniperlv

I really like my HD Tivos had Tivo since the 14 hr model. Bought several over the past few years. Im in the Phoenix Market with Cox. If the HD Channels I have start going to SDV and this mysterious dongle isn't available I will put my 2 HD Tivos in the closet and go with Direct TV.
sniperlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #770
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrown2195 View Post
Looks like Cox Baton Rouge rolled out SDV. Friend of mine who has a CableCARD TV set called me today and told me that they had added CNNHD, Food Network HD, and HD Theater to the lineup - he could only get the last one on his TV. Called Cox and was told that CableCARD customers can't get CNN or Food Network.

I can't pick them up on my TiVo either, so I am assuming they've rolled out SDV here.
Even though Cox has only rolled out SDV in 2 markets so far (Fairfax VA and Phoenix AZ) they have plans for more SDV rollouts next year and so those targeted markets they are already preventing CableCard customers from getting new channels now only to be taken away when SDV does roll out. That is the case in Cox Orange County and looks like Baton Rouge and maybe others.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #771
k00k

I'm in RI. I just scheduled my CableCard install for my series3 HD which is due to arrive Friday.

Today's Tuesday and the earliest install date I could get was next Wednesday...over a week?!? I'm going to keep calling to try and get an earlier appointment.

Anyway, the rep (who was new) tried to charge me $55 for each cablecard even though it's a single tivo. I told her to talk to a manager...it ended up being $55 total, she split the fee between the 2 cards which were line items. Other than that she was nice and took down all of the notes I asked her to: Bring M-Cards (not that it really matters), send a service tech familiar with Tivo if possible.

So, fingers crossed. I'll be sure to have guided setup done and software updated before then. Any other pointers?
k00k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #772
Bodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by k00k View Post
I'm in RI. I just scheduled my CableCard install for my series3 HD which is due to arrive Friday.

Today's Tuesday and the earliest install date I could get was next Wednesday...over a week?!? I'm going to keep calling to try and get an earlier appointment.

Anyway, the rep (who was new) tried to charge me $55 for each cablecard even though it's a single tivo. I told her to talk to a manager...it ended up being $55 total, she split the fee between the 2 cards which were line items. Other than that she was nice and took down all of the notes I asked her to: Bring M-Cards (not that it really matters), send a service tech familiar with Tivo if possible.

So, fingers crossed. I'll be sure to have guided setup done and software updated before then. Any other pointers?
The techs that came to my house (East Bay) were pretty good. The first guy only had two cards (though I said to make sure he had multiple) and he couldn't get them going, so he got another tech on the Nextel and she had a bunch of cards and they got two working after pairing them a couple of times.
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #773
dukedave

Cox Orange County offering fewer HD channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Even though Cox has only rolled out SDV in 2 markets so far (Fairfax VA and Phoenix AZ) they have plans for more SDV rollouts next year and so those targeted markets they are already preventing CableCard customers from getting new channels now only to be taken away when SDV does roll out. That is the case in Cox Orange County and looks like Baton Rouge and maybe others.
Cox Orange County is not pushing all of the new HD channels to cablecard subscribers... I am missing CNN HD, TLC HD, Discovery HD, History HD, NFL HD among a handful of others. Spoke with Cox tech support and they say that there are technical limitations with the cablecards that they can't resolve and that I will have to live with fewer HD channels.

Are they serious? Anyone else hear about this? I see on the Cox website now that they have added a disclaimer saying that cablecard customers must have a set top box to receive some channels. Now they tell me?! Anything we can do?
dukedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 02:43 PM   #774
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedave View Post
Cox Orange County is not pushing all of the new HD channels to cablecard subscribers... I am missing CNN HD, TLC HD, Discovery HD, History HD, NFL HD among a handful of others. Spoke with Cox tech support and they say that there are technical limitations with the cablecards that they can't resolve and that I will have to live with fewer HD channels.

Are they serious? Anyone else hear about this? I see on the Cox website now that they have added a disclaimer saying that cablecard customers must have a set top box to receive some channels. Now they tell me?! Anything we can do?
it's not the cable cards fault, the tivo's don't have 2 way communications for SDV, but there is supposed to be a tuner resolver on the way in 2008 that will allow SDV channelas on a tivo.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #775
lament

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedave View Post

Yup you'll have to wait until Q208 for the dongle. that's up to 6 months away.
lament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:19 PM   #776
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lament View Post
Yup you'll have to wait until Q208 for the dongle. that's up to 6 months away.
isn't that what I said?
Old 12-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #777
nocturne1

Quote:
isn't that what I said?
He just wanted to say dongle...
nocturne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:23 PM   #778
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by k00k View Post

Let me know if you get M-Cards. I thought RI didn't have them yet.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #779
lament

Quote:
isn't that what I said?
I expanded on your comment by posting a link to the press release and noted that it will be Q208 before they come out.

and yes, I also wanted to say dongle.
lament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 10:48 PM   #780
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

good news and bad news Cox is working on a dongle <weird name. But will have SDV roll out in early 08
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote