TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #691
DanieleB

Thanks for the sanity check everyone. I'm up against a deadline at work today, but I think I'll pop out the card in slot 2 tonight and try the record-and-view just to prove to myself and them that it's working. I'll check the installation on the primary card (thank you very much for posting that screenshot -- incredibly helpful!) and see if TNT kicks in. I want to see Angel in HiDef!! Then I'll call and question the charges on Saturday. Will post a follow-up to let everyone know how it goes.

I don't want to get the installer in trouble or anything; he was a nice guy, and he genuinely *wanted* to know how it should be done. But dagnabbit, I would think that at the point I started asking about MAC addresses he would realize he wasn't dealing with some technophobic dumb blonde, and that I might even know more than him. :P
DanieleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #692
DanieleB

Well, I needed a break anyway. *grin* 10 quick minutes while I was getting coffee proved what we already knew -- the second Mcard is superfluous. I was also able to verify that we're not subscribed to the missing channels (or so I assume from "Auth: NS"), and furthermore, whenever I tune to one of those channels and look at the cable card set up screen, I have to reboot the machine afterward. I get the grey screen of death for some reason, and the TV becomes non-responsive. So my guess is that either I'm missing a critical "clear-instead of back button" or that something about the card setup isn't right.

Will call them on Saturday. Thank you again for the reassurance that I really do know my equipment the way I think I do.
DanieleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #693
bkdtv

I realize this is a bit off-topic, but no one I know with Cox seems to live in a market where Discovery Channel HD was added.

If you live in a Cox market with Discovery Channel HD (not to be confused with Discovery Theater), what size does the TiVo report for your MythBusters episodes, as reported by the INFO screen?
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #694
Pafrican

I am thinking about getting a TivoHD and used the online live support for Cox and got this response from Cox in Phoenix...

"You can rent the standard CableCARD for only $2.00 per month. Some
newer television sets and DVRs require one "multi-stream" CableCARD.
These multi-stream cards only cost $4.00 per month.

Cox Communications must professionally install these devices in your
television or DVR. The current installation price for a single
CableCARD device is $49.95. If you are using a dual-tuner television or
DVR, we can install two CableCARD devices or one multi-stream CableCARD
for $64.95.

Please reply to this message if you are interested in establishing an
appointment for a CableCARD. We will be happy to assist you."

Kind of silly that they charge more for a single multi-stream and also more to install a single multi-stream card.

I think I'm going to order the Tivo HD (w/ lifetime transfer) and go with the M-Card even though the startup costs are so high. I just think Cox's $23/month for HDDVR is absurd (especially since it is so often faulty and misses recordings, plus a horrid UI).
Pafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:39 PM   #695
will592

Just thought I would check in here after my cable card install here in Phoenix. First things first, the installer showed up late for the install so I called to complain and they instantly gave me a $20 credit on the install, no questions asked. Second, the install had done one cc install before and was a little nervous because he said it was a different kind of tivo (an S3 I'm sure). Despite the insistence of the sales rep that they did not have m-cards he brought a single m-card and said that they were common knowledge amongst the techs. The install took a total of 30 minutes, mostly on the phone with the CSR getting the info put in. The made me give them the model number of the 'tv' but didn't seem plussed when the guy said it was a tivo. It took quite some time before the cable card accepted the 'hit' from the CSR but when he left everything was working fine, with the exception of the premium channels. After the tech left I re-ran the tivo setup and the premium channels came in just fine. The Tivo HD is so much nicer than the SA8300 that I can't even imagine ever going back.

The HD is the 3rd Tivo in our house and the MRV features work great. We moved a few shows over from our S2 boxes and they look great, even on a 65" widescreen tv.

Most interesting part of the install, the installer uses DirectTv/Tivo himself, and I pretty much convinced him to buy the Tivo HD, he was shocked to find out the cable card was $2/month.

Hope it goes well for everyone else!
Chris
will592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:06 PM   #696
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pafrican

Kind of silly that they charge more for a single multi-stream and also more to install a single multi-stream card.

Actually, they aren't supposed to charge for more than 1 card when you get an M-Card.

Rob
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #697
jfpga

Here in Rhode Island I just called for a cable card install and they said they don't have any M-Cards yet, anyone in this area have one installed yet?
jfpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 AM   #698
yroca

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrob
Actually, they aren't supposed to charge for more than 1 card when you get an M-Card.

Rob
Rob is right. In addition to a $2 CableCard charge, I had an extra $4.07 in charges - $2 for the "second card", and $2 + tax for the Digital Gateway Service fee for the second card - even though I only had 1 M-Card.

The rep tried to tell me it was $4 per month for M-Card, but I told them I was quoted $2 a month on the phone. They also said their system makes them just put it in as 2 separate cards. I asked what the $2.07 Digital Gateway charge was for and the rep said it was because I have two Digital outlets. I explained that I only have 1 TV, and 1 CableCard, and they removed the extra $4.07 in monthly charges.
yroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #699
Pafrican

Thanks for that info.

So what is everyone's bill typically? I figure I'll have a charge for the basic, charge for the extended, and a charge for the cable card (plus all the taxes)?

Are there any hidden charges I may be missing (besides the installation)?
Pafrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #700
milo99

Well, i just got my brand new service w/ Cox installed here in McLean VA. 2 cable cards on the Tivo HD. The guy (Christopher i think it was) had done Tivo installs before and seemed to know what he was doing. He was here for an hour, but that included trips downstairs (i'm in a condo building) to connect my unit to home base. Had to go in and out of the cable card screen a few times, the Tivo rebooted on him once, but it all came up fine after about 20 minutes or so of him working on it.

After he left, i did the guided set up and got the green screen of death when it was in the process of connecting to the Tivo service. Luckily, it only lasted about 10 minutes and upon reboot, everything went smoothly. I did have a small issue of some of my channels (HD channels I am supposed to get) not coming in (i know NFL network is on switched, but everything else isn't). But a quick call to tech support resolved it, where the guy i think he said he just sent me a stronger signal.

I'm currently subscribed to all the tiers, and i'm getting in HD the Discovery channel, National Geographic, A&E, TNT ESPNs, and the locals among others, so it looks like its all good!!
milo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:42 AM   #701
milo99

well i spoke too soon. looks like the 2nd cable card is not getting all the channels. It's getting the base package, but not the tiers. arg. technician will be coming by on Saturday. Luckily all my season passes are on regular channels so it shouldn't create a problem in the meantime.

Last edited by milo99 : 11-14-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:28 PM   #702
black flag

I just had a Cox tech out in Fairfax VA. He said that he has personally done four series 3 installs in the last week and a half and they are all experiencing what I am experiencing: one of the cards keeps dropping channels 701-705 and a few other channels. He said that he personally called TIVO during a recent visit because of this exact problem and he said Tivo fessed up that it's a known issue that has to do with either the box firmware or the new firmware Cox requires for cablecards. Whether this is BS or not, I'm not sure but I have missed some of my favorite shows in the last week.

A quick fix (for some channels)if you are experiencing the same issue:
tivo>>Messages&Settings>>Standby>>Live Tv

Some channels need a hard box restart to work again.

Since the Standby or Reset feature brings back the missing channels and the cablecard diagnostics are showing that the offending channels are coming through loud and clear - it looks like this is a Tivo Series 3 issue not a Cox issue.

I'll call Tivo tomorrow and see what they have to say.
black flag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:20 PM   #703
AZrob

COX Phoenix Cable Card install report:

Well, after reading all of the above, prepared for anything and nothing to happen, I scheduled my CC install here in Phoenix and ....it was problematic but I am up and running and it probably didn't cost me anything.

Asked several different CSR's to schedule an M-card install....none of them, and I mean NONE knew about the M-cards. Nor did anyone in Tech Support. But a sympathetic CSR dutifully did as I requested and scheduled the install with a specific request in the Notes section that it be for an M-card.

The first installer (a subcontractor: Advanced Power Cabling Services) showed up with two S-cards. He said that that was all they had "in the shop". I said that they were the wrong kind. He called in and found out that M-cards had just come in but it was too far to go back and get one. So he offered to install the S-cards and then follow up with an M-card the next day at no extra charge.

But neither of the S-cards worked. So this morning another subcontractor tech showed up with 5 M-cards (I insisted on that many.) The first one worked, which was fortunate, because the tech didn't know anything about M-cards, and not much more about CC's in general. There was one thing he did know - he HATED to do CC installs.... but he was cooperative enough (though got uptight when I made him stay until I checked all of the channels) and didn't seem to mind that I basically ran the install.

After he left I called COX and asked for full credit on the install. The nice lady in Billing immediately gave me $15 credit for the HD service charge and said she would email in for the $34.95 ($36.93 after tax) credit which would take a few days to process.

So here are my observations:

1. It does appear that you can get an M-card installed in Phoenix now, at least if you get the subcontractor Advanced Power Cabling Services. They are aware of them, even if the CSR's and Tech Support are not.

2. You need to ask for the CSR to put the M-card install in the Notes section, especially since there is no official option for "M-Card install" yet.

3. Try to get them to bring at least 5 M-cards out. If they are not sure what you mean, say "the Green cards, not the Blue ones". The actual model is Scientific Atlanta PKM-800. S-cards are PKM-600.

4. Take over the install and ask for credit later. If you are polite, it may well work out to your satisfaction.

5. BE PATIENT and remember to respect Murphy's Law....

Hope that helps anyone else out there in Phoenix COX-land....Thanks to all of you whose sharing of experiences prepared me well when my time came.

Rob
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:10 AM   #704
milo99

yet another update. after finding Tivo's support page, and reading thru the cable card faq on here again (now that i'm more familiar w/ what all this means), i called tech supp yesterday in hopes of getting the 2nd card working fully before the tech came out on Sat.

Well, long story short, we got it woring by unpairing, repairing and rehitting the cards, then rebooting the Tivo.

Longer version: and this is something that's confusing me- but after the rep rehit the cards, all my channels were gone on BOTH cards. I was like wtf?? i was going to live tv and the test channels menu and all i was seeing was gray. I went to the CP page and saw that my ECMs were slowly going up, but no channels. upon reboot though, they all showed up.

heres the other thing i'd like someone to answer. Are the ECMs in the CP screens only supposed to show when that card/tuner is on a tiered/premium channel? Because i've noticed since this 'fix' that if i'm on say, the local NBC station, the ECMs are 0 or drop to like 2. But then once i go to say, ESPNHD, they start to climb again, and continue as i stay tuned on the station.

I thought ECMs were basically codes to allow you to see those encrypted channels and that they were finite. But is it that they are actually continually fed to the card as it is tuned to the encrypted channel so as to continually decrypt the info while i'm watching? Thus if i stay on ESPNHD the number of ECMs keeps climbing, but once i switch, it doesn't need them and they go away?
Old 11-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #705
k00k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfpga View Post
Here in Rhode Island I just called for a cable card install and they said they don't have any M-Cards yet, anyone in this area have one installed yet?
I'm going to call soon, ordering my TiVoHD this week. I assume that when you called you spoke with a customer service rep, yes?

Hopefully they're just clueless and maybe there are actually M-cards available. Let us know when you do your install.

I still plan on asking them to make a note to bring M-cards when I place my call.
k00k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:11 PM   #706
mdk89135

Strike One for Cox Cable here in Las Vegas today.

I requested a single Multi-Stream card for my TivoHD and was assured that the tech would have one when he arrived. Tech did arrive with a single single-stream card. Also - he had never done a cable card install before and he was 30 minutes late, to boot.

After we figured out that the card was only a single stream card, he went to remove it and couldn't figure out how to get it out of the Tivo. He offered to leave it in until someone else from Cox comes out on Tuesday to try again. I've dealt with enough PC Cards to know there should be a button to push next to the slot, so I got it out myself and sent him on his way.

I did call Cox after the fact and was given a credit to my account - not enough to make up for the hassle so far or the install fee, but a nice gesture, nevertheless.
mdk89135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #707
jfpga

Quote:
Originally Posted by k00k View Post
I'm going to call soon, ordering my TiVoHD this week. I assume that when you called you spoke with a customer service rep, yes?

Hopefully they're just clueless and maybe there are actually M-cards available. Let us know when you do your install.

I still plan on asking them to make a note to bring M-cards when I place my call.
Had 2 single cards installed in my Series 3 last week, went pretty smooth actually, only problem atm I am not receiving a few Cox channels 46, 47, 48 on that Series 3. I will be getting a TivoHD installed with cable card in the next week or so when I get a chance to call and schedule it, I will have them look into that then. I talked to someone in customer service who happened to have worked with my mother at the Newport Daily News, she had just started and had no clue about cable cards etc.... I pressed her to ask her supervisor about M-Cards. they told her they didn't have any. But basically I will be calling her every couple of weeks to get the low down.
jfpga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:05 AM   #708
k00k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfpga View Post
Had 2 single cards installed in my Series 3 last week, went pretty smooth actually, only problem atm I am not receiving a few Cox channels 46, 47, 48 on that Series 3. I will be getting a TivoHD installed with cable card in the next week or so when I get a chance to call and schedule it, I will have them look into that then. I talked to someone in customer service who happened to have worked with my mother at the Newport Daily News, she had just started and had no clue about cable cards etc.... I pressed her to ask her supervisor about M-Cards. they told her they didn't have any. But basically I will be calling her every couple of weeks to get the low down.
Ok, cool. If you can keep me posted on here about your bi-weekly updates, that would be grand.
k00k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:10 AM   #709
tivowiz

I've got an install for CabelCards today in my TivoHD, the cost here in Hampton Roads, VA is $29 for the install & $1.99 per card. If you go over one digital recevr/card in your house there is a flat $5/month fee for "whatever" (I call it the "because we can" fee).
I'm hoping for an MCard, but, I just hope it works...
tivowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #710
milo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivowiz View Post
I've got an install for CabelCards today in my TivoHD, the cost here in Hampton Roads, VA is $29 for the install & $1.99 per card. If you go over one digital recevr/card in your house there is a flat $5/month fee for "whatever" (I call it the "because we can" fee).
I'm hoping for an MCard, but, I just hope it works...
are you talking about the '2nd outlet' fee. Since its 2 cards, they consider it 2 separate outlets, so i know i get charged the normal $7 for the first card, + $6 for the 2nd outlet, plus the $2 for the cards itself. so really, you're paying $8 more a month.

The guy who installed them for me said they're testing the Mcards out in a couple markets, and he thought they may have some in NoVA but only 'a few'. So who knows, the may become available soon.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:21 PM   #711
will592

On the issue of the 'hit' from the cable company, I thought I would share my experience from this weekend. I ordered ESPN gameplan this weekend, as I do on occasion when the Gators aren't on regular tv. They sent the hit to my cable card and the Tivo locked up. The screen went gray, as it does every so often anyway (grumble) and I lost all video. I had to reboot the unit and the pay-per-view never came through. Luckily, I was able to watch on the old DVR that I still haven't taken back. I called back and had them do it again, same result. The third time I talked to them, they just told me that pay-per-view doesn't work on cablecards. I don't know what to say after that...other than they appear to be right...although I was under the impression that it was SUPPOSED to work...you just couldn't order from the cable card.

Chris
will592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:16 PM   #712
mdk89135

Much better luck today with COX here in Las Vegas. The tech brought a single-stream and a multi-stream just in case. It was the first Tivo the tech had seen, but I had the feeling he had done cablecards before, unlike the last guy they sent out. He popped in the card, emailed the numbers in and then went outside to check the voltages at the box. By the time he made it back in, the card was working. I went thru guided setup after he left and all appears to be well.

I was suprised that I get the HD channels on my old 20" non-HDTV (soon to be replaced). Tivo evidently scales everything down to fit the screen - some of the HD channels have the bars on the left and right side and squishes the picture.

Overall, really pleased with the Tivo and can't wait to get a new HDTV to enjoy it even more!
mdk89135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:52 AM   #713
tivowiz

Cox installed two cablecards in my Tivo S3 tonite. I received the Tivo from Amazon about 12:20 today, so it was all up to date with software. The install was a breeze - we went by the book, it took about 1/2 hour (could have been faster, but, he had to go out to the pole & remove the filter that was in place before we started.

I do have a couple of issues, I don't get 3 of the "new" HD channels & about 10 channels exhibit breakups/pixelation. Checking around on AVSForum I noticed that there are a couple of people there in my area not receiving the same channels & also exhibiting breakups. I noticed the signal on the cable for those channels that are breaking up to be lower & to fluctuate considerably (from 55-85).

I'm hoping that it's a easy to fix problem. We'll see....

BTW - I'm in Williamsburg, VA..

Last edited by tivowiz : 11-21-2007 at 02:09 PM.
tivowiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #714
ajcadoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I realize this is a bit off-topic, but no one I know with Cox seems to live in a market where Discovery Channel HD was added.

If you live in a Cox market with Discovery Channel HD (not to be confused with Discovery Theater), what size does the TiVo report for your MythBusters episodes, as reported by the INFO screen?
i know how does! cox san diego. speciffically in the south bay. they have about 40 hd channels
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #715
ChrisMc73

Just a quick question, as I've scanned through the old pages of this post...but are the Multi-stream or M-Cards as referred here, the ones that allow us to get On Demand, Pay Per View etc?
ChrisMc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #716
gcw07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
Just a quick question, as I've scanned through the old pages of this post...but are the Multi-stream or M-Cards as referred here, the ones that allow us to get On Demand, Pay Per View etc?
There aren't any that will allow you to get On Demand, PPV. M-Cards are just multi-stream cards that lets you get 2 signals with one card. So 1 M-Card will do the same thing that 2 S-Cards would do in your box.
gcw07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:30 PM   #717
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcw07 View Post
There aren't any that will allow you to get On Demand, PPV. M-Cards are just multi-stream cards that lets you get 2 signals with one card. So 1 M-Card will do the same thing that 2 S-Cards would do in your box.
just expand on that

it's not the cards that determine 2 way, but the tivo hardware.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:37 PM   #718
ChrisMc73

So with 2 M-Cards, I could record up to 4 shows at once?
Or record 3 and watch a different channel on 1?
Old 11-21-2007, 06:18 PM   #719
Bodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMc73 View Post
So with 2 M-Cards, I could record up to 4 shows at once?
Or record 3 and watch a different channel on 1?
Unfortunately no, there's still only 2 tuners capable of receiving the cable signal, the cable-cards are used to decode the signals once they are received.
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:46 PM   #720
ChrisMc73

So whats the advantage over what I have now? (Two Cards S-Cards I guess)
I don't get it?