TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-23-2007, 11:07 PM   #661
yroca

I have Cox in Phoenix. Telephone Rep and Tech Support said they didn't have Multi-Stream cards. A guy at work just got M-Cards though, so I phoned Cox back prior to appt and had them notate my work order to bring Scientific Atlanta PKM-800. The contractor showed up with the right card - but had never done a single install, so I showed him how to do it using the TiVo instructions. I was quoted $49.95 for the install, but I called back after the appt to tell them that the installer had no experience and I had to do it and they credited me in full for the install. Hope this helps others in the Phoenix area.
yroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #662
chrisguerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yroca
I have Cox in Phoenix. Telephone Rep and Tech Support said they didn't have Multi-Stream cards. A guy at work just got M-Cards though, so I phoned Cox back prior to appt and had them notate my work order to bring Scientific Atlanta PKM-800. The contractor showed up with the right card - but had never done a single install, so I showed him how to do it using the TiVo instructions. I was quoted $49.95 for the install, but I called back after the appt to tell them that the installer had no experience and I had to do it and they credited me in full for the install. Hope this helps others in the Phoenix area.
Did the rep tell you how much they are charging for an M-card?
chrisguerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:35 PM   #663
DrDatabase

Just had the Orange County Cox tech out to install my Cablecard into my Tivo HD. The good news is he had m-card in hand. Tech was not experienced with cablecards or tivos but all went very smooth. I had to stop him from trying to install a second M card. LOL! Two phone calls to ops and everything was done. Tech did say all they had in inventory was m cards right now so it's hard to tell if this is a temporary situation or permenant. Install fee was quoted to me as $44.

The only glitch was getting billing to release the work order so my premium channels would be enabled.

Surprised by the ease of installation and keeping my fingers crossed all stays well.

Tivo HD
M card
9.2 update
DrDatabase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:24 PM   #664
yroca

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguerin
Did the rep tell you how much they are charging for an M-card?
Yes - $1.99 per month in Phoenix. That is for the first card - no matter if is S-Card or M-Card. The additional card (if they didn't have the M-Card) was gonna run an additional $1.99 per month for the Card, plus and additional $2 per month for Digital Gateway Fee to the second card, so if you can get a hold of the M-Card, it looks like you save $4 a month.
yroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:37 PM   #665
Supermurph

Quote:
I didn't think to bring up me helping the guy, but I did get the M card two weeks ago in Phoenix and then called yesterday once the charges hit the bill. I just nicely explained that I felt it was unfortunate that Cox would charge me so much for a service that I didn't really need, but was forced into since they wouldn't allow me to pick up the cards at the Cox Digital Store. She said that they were valid charges and she couldn't do anything about them, but she could credit $25 to my account. Presumably, this will be called something else on the bill.

It looks like you can get partial or full credit back on the install charge if you ask the right person in the right way.
Supermurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:38 PM   #666
doormat

Quote:
Yes - $1.99 per month in Phoenix. That is for the first card - no matter if is S-Card or M-Card. The additional card (if they didn't have the M-Card) was gonna run an additional $1.99 per month for the Card, plus and additional $2 per month for Digital Gateway Fee to the second card, so if you can get a hold of the M-Card, it looks like you save $4 a month.
I save $7 due to the $5 AO fee, so YMMV depending on AO fees.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:57 AM   #667
Mikeyis4dcats

techs are here....card 1 installed fine. card 2 data number keeps changing during install, so they can't get it paired. they have no idea. anyone run into this?
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #668
kevinwa

M vs S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermurph
I didn't think to bring up me helping the guy, but I did get the M card two weeks ago in Phoenix and then called yesterday once the charges hit the bill. I just nicely explained that I felt it was unfortunate that Cox would charge me so much for a service that I didn't really need, but was forced into since they wouldn't allow me to pick up the cards at the Cox Digital Store. She said that they were valid charges and she couldn't do anything about them, but she could credit $25 to my account. Presumably, this will be called something else on the bill.

It looks like you can get partial or full credit back on the install charge if you ask the right person in the right way.
I also live in Arizona (Scottsdale) and before I call COX I thought I would just clarify a few things for my new Series 3.
1. They (COX) have M cards (which I understand 1 M card replaces 2 S cards right?) they are still one way cards but eliminate the need to have 1 card for each tuner right?
2. I only have to pay for one card (how much if I can ask were they and the install)

Appreciate the help.
kevinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:25 PM   #669
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwa
I also live in Arizona (Scottsdale) and before I call COX I thought I would just clarify a few things for my new Series 3.
1. They (COX) have M cards (which I understand 1 M card replaces 2 S cards right?) they are still one way cards but eliminate the need to have 1 card for each tuner right?
2. I only have to pay for one card (how much if I can ask were they and the install)

Appreciate the help.
I have a TivoHD so maybe someone else can confirm this, but I didn't think the S3 would work with just a single M card like the HD does?
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:38 PM   #670
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAZ
I have a TivoHD so maybe someone else can confirm this, but I didn't think the S3 would work with just a single M card like the HD does?

Nope not yet The S3 still needs two cards even if it is a multistream card.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #671
Dan Theman
Adventurer

Cox (San Diego)
Just got my Tivo-HD setup with an M-Card.
$55 install fee and $2/month for the card.

When I called last week to schedule the install, the lady said they didn't have M-Cards. I asked her to put a note in requesting M-Cards anyways.

When the Tech showed up this morning he was fully prepared and had 1 M-Card and two normal cards (just in case).

He installed the M-Card and called to activate it. It then went into an "updating firmware" state which took about 20 minutes. After that completed we still were not getting any channels. He called the head office again to have them activate it and 30 seconds later everything was working fine (must have missed the activation sequence while it was updating the firmware).

The box is running 9.2j and it is a Scientific Atlanta M-Card.

Life is good.
Dan Theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:45 AM   #672
3morgans

Dropping Channels - Cox Fairfax VA

I have Cox Fairfax VA and a Tivo S3. Everything was working great for about 3 months. Recently, we started having issues where one CableCard dropped all encrypted channels. Tech came out, installed a new card and all worked again. Now it is happening again. Once card fine, one card not. Cox just started using SDV, is that messing it up in some way? Any ideas?
3morgans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:04 AM   #673
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Theman
Cox (San Diego)
Just got my Tivo-HD setup with an M-Card.
$55 install fee and $2/month for the card.

When I called last week to schedule the install, the lady said they didn't have M-Cards. I asked her to put a note in requesting M-Cards anyways.

When the Tech showed up this morning he was fully prepared and had 1 M-Card and two normal cards (just in case).

He installed the M-Card and called to activate it. It then went into an "updating firmware" state which took about 20 minutes. After that completed we still were not getting any channels. He called the head office again to have them activate it and 30 seconds later everything was working fine (must have missed the activation sequence while it was updating the firmware).

The box is running 9.2j and it is a Scientific Atlanta M-Card.

Life is good.
Are you saying the firmware on the cablecards can be upgraded after the install through the cable company?
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #674
Dan Theman
Adventurer

That is what it appeared to be doing.

Here is what happened:
Popped in the M-Card and the Tivo-HD went to the cablecard screen.
He went to the screen with Host ID and and called the office and read them the numbers.
He then went to another cablecard screen and was looking at the "EMM" count to see it get activated, but then the Tivo changed to an "upgrading firmware" screen for the cable card.
Tech said that he had never seen it do a firmware upgrade before.
Also, the backgrounds on all the screens turned gray instead of the usual animation - a reboot after the install brought it back to the normal look.
The firmware upgrade took about 20 minutes.
Then he went back to the info screen and the "EMM" was still 0.
He called the office again and then we saw the "EMM" value increase from 0 to 43.
Then he tested the channels on both tuners and everything was working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701
Are you saying the firmware on the cablecards can be upgraded after the install through the cable company?

Dan Theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:49 PM   #675
GerryFR

Cable Card Installation

I had a Cox (San Diego) technician come out yesterday to install 2 cable cards. He first put a SA M card to see if it would work by itself. When he found that it would not, he put a S card in the second slot. It took a little over an hour to get it all working. Some of this time was in getting my various signal inputs to the proper levels. There also was a 20 minute delay for a software update on the M Card. The technician said he was doing about 2 Tivos a week. He now carries spare cards with him on these installs. He has seen bad cards and occasionally a bad TIVO. Everything seems to be working properly and I get all the channels.

The technician had heard nothing about updating the SA HD DVR to TIVO software. Cox bandwidth has been increased to 1 GHz, but other factors may keep the new HD channels coming on line until after the first of the year.

The cost of the cable cards is $1.99 each per month. The install fee has not been put on my on line bill yet. They did start charging me for the cable cards though.

I was happy with my installation and I suspect the Cox technicians are now familiar with the TIVO installation and new installations should go much smoother.
GerryFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #676
Sandi

Cox Omaha

Cox in Omaha just told me they could only install the Cable Cards in the Series 3 and that they do not yet have M-Cards.

Does anyone have any experience in getting the cable cards in the TIVOHD in Omaha, NE?

Any good or bad experiences I should watch for?

Suggestions?

Thanks

Sandi (who really wants to add a 4th TIVO.)
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:11 PM   #677
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi
Cox in Omaha just told me they could only install the Cable Cards in the Series 3 and that they do not yet have M-Cards.

Does anyone have any experience in getting the cable cards in the TIVOHD in Omaha, NE?

Any good or bad experiences I should watch for?

Suggestions?

Thanks

Sandi (who really wants to add a 4th TIVO.)

What did they say? What pricess did they quote you?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:32 PM   #678
moyekj

Quote:
THD can take 2 S-cards just like S3 units. If you can't get past the stance that they only support S3 units (which is not true) just tell them you have an S3 to keep them happy. Technically the THD units are also "Series 3" as well if any questions should arise from the installer (highly doubtful). Also, I wouldn't be at all surprised that they actually do have M-cards but just don't know about it (or how to distinguish M-cards from S-cards)...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #679
Sandi

Thanks for the help. they basically told me they only supported The Series 3 and that I would have 2 have 2 S cards if I wanted dual programing.

I had the same thought that I could just tell them I have a Series 3 to get around them.

Any other suggestions. I'm going to request they bring a couple of extra cards if they can and do double check and make sure they don't have M-Cards.

Of course they would rather I rent their DVR so sometimes they are less than helpful.

Thanks

Sandi
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:40 PM   #680
ajwees41

Quote:
Thanks for the help. they basically told me they only supported The Series 3 and that I would have 2 have 2 S cards if I wanted dual programing.

I had the same thought that I could just tell them I have a Series 3 to get around them.

Any other suggestions. I'm going to request they bring a couple of extra cards if they can and do double check and make sure they don't have M-Cards.

Of course they would rather I rent their DVR so sometimes they are less than helpful.

Thanks

Sandi
contact tivo
Old 11-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #681
Grimdeath

Which M-Cards does Cox seem to be rolling out? Are they using the SA PKM-800 exclusively or a smathering of others?
Grimdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #682
Cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickfriele
I keep having the issue of cable cards losing their decryption status in the cable card CP menu. Where it says decryption status usually it says ok, but when I start having problems it says no ECMs detected. The problems I am experiencing are sometimes I cannot tune to an encrypted channel (just get a black screen) or I get a picture, but no audio. Restarting the TiVo fixes the problem so thats what I have been doing at night the last few days. It's an annoyance, though and I have had Cox come out numerous times with new cards and I still have the same problem. The best answer I have gotten is that there is a handshaking problem and that is why I am randomly losing stations. Has anyone else experienced this?
I have a multistream cablecard (Scientific Atlanta) with Cox in my HD TIVO. About every 2 to 3 days I lose all channels other than the networks. When I call up the cablecard menu all of the selections say "Failed to load .......". A refresh from Cox and a restart of the TIVo box brings the channels back until they drop again in 2 to 3 days. Cox is scheduled to replace the card tomorrow. They were scheduled to replace it last weekend but the service rep. failed to bring one with him. He took off the boaster and said that was the problem. It worked for 3 days. TIVO support said if I have the same problem with a second multistream cablecard they will replace the TIVO. They said the cablecard menu items should load even if I am having issues. They said they have never heard of the cablecard menu items not loading. Slow and painful trial and error process made worse because the Cox representatives generally arrive with no prior knowledge of the problems I am having. Any advice would be helpful.
Cornered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 10:58 PM   #683
will592

Just got off of the phone with Cox in Phoenix. They acted like they had never heard of the multi stream cards. I was quoted a $34.95 trip charge and an extra $15.00 to install the 'HD part' of the card. I was also told that the charge is up to the discretion of the installer, and that the quoted charge was a 'maximum'. We'll see on Wednesday. Until then...we'll be trying out the tivo hd with our existing hd box!

Chris
will592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:33 AM   #684
Optics

cablecards without Digital Cable?

Has anyone tried dropping "Digital Cable" from Cox (specifically Orange County) and only subscribing to Basic or Expanded, yet still able to keep their cablecards and receive clear-QAM channels?

Without cablecards, there's no guide data, but I don't want to subscribe to Digital Cable just to get guide data for clear-QAM channels.

Some are reporting success with subscribing only to Comcast Limited and getting cablecards here: Possible to get HD channels w/ Comcast Limited Cable & Cablecard? .
Optics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #685
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optics
Has anyone tried dropping "Digital Cable" from Cox (specifically Orange County) and only subscribing to Basic or Expanded, yet still able to keep their cablecards and receive clear-QAM channels?

Without cablecards, there's no guide data, but I don't want to subscribe to Digital Cable just to get guide data for clear-QAM channels.

Some are reporting success with subscribing only to Comcast Limited and getting cablecards here: Possible to get HD channels w/ Comcast Limited Cable & Cablecard? .
Let me know if you have success doing this as I too am with Cox in Orange County and was told repeatedly that digital cable is required for Cablecard rental.

Old 11-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #686
Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
Let me know if you have success doing this as I too am with Cox in Orange County and was told repeatedly that digital cable is required for Cablecard rental.
Just caved in and getting my CableCards for TiVoHD this weekend. I'll wait a week and call them up and see if I can drop Digital cable. ... I'll update here.
Optics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:51 PM   #687
DanieleB

(Newbie de-lurks)

I just had Cox OC out today to install the cards in our new TiVoHD, and the tech told me several things that I don't think are entirely true. Would appreciate some clarification from folks here.

* He installed two M cards. I pointed out the message that came up after reboot saying the second card would be ignored, and he said that the message was wrong, and without the second card we wouldn't have dual tuner functionality.

* Questioning the above, I asked him what's the point of the Multi-stream then. He said the multi-stream was two-way, and it was so we could order Pay Per View. I think this is pretty much wrong on all counts, and we are renting a card we don't need ... true?

* We were quoted $89 for installation (it's usury, and I told the lady that on the phone), but I'm guessing now that was $45 for each card? (One of which I don't need?)

* We had no program data and only one hi-def channel when the tech left. He told us it was just because the channels all took a while to download and they "don't all come in at the same time." O_~ In fiddling around with it tonight, I discovered, of course, that the problem was the guided setup hadn't been completed in order to tell TiVo the channels were there. :P So technically, he didn't even install the first card ... though I guess really the Guided Setup is on us ... but seems like a bit of a rookie mistake, or poor advice? I mean, had we not known better, we would never have gotten the channels, right?

* We've had to reboot twice tonight because the Fall service update came in, and the card keeps dropping hi def TNT. We should have that channel with our tier, but all we get is a grey screen. Should we call Cox about that, or just wait patiently for it to "come in" (whatever that means)? Or is it because the unit is confused by the extra M card?

Thanks for any advice. Seems like the techs ought to be better trained -- do they not bring out TiVo reps to train folks, or at least to do the train-the-trainer?
DanieleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:47 AM   #688
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanieleB
* He installed two M cards. I pointed out the message that came up after reboot saying the second card would be ignored, and he said that the message was wrong, and without the second card we wouldn't have dual tuner functionality.
You are right, he is wrong. He was confusing the Tivo Series3 with the newer TivoHD. The TivoHD only requires one MCARD to support both tuners; the Series3 requires two.

The TiVoHD should ignore the MCARD in the second slot. But it's possible the MCARD in the second slot is causing problems.

Quote:
* Questioning the above, I asked him what's the point of the Multi-stream then. He said the multi-stream was two-way, and it was so we could order Pay Per View. I think this is pretty much wrong on all counts, and we are renting a card we don't need ... true?
Correct.

Quote:
We were quoted $89 for installation (it's usury, and I told the lady that on the phone), but I'm guessing now that was $45 for each card? (One of which I don't need?)
That sounds incredibly high to me, but I'm not familiar with Cox's installation fee (Verizon FiOS charges a flat $25 for up to 7 CableCard adds).

Quote:
We had no program data and only one hi-def channel when the tech left. He told us it was just because the channels all took a while to download and they "don't all come in at the same time." O_~ In fiddling around with it tonight, I discovered, of course, that the problem was the guided setup hadn't been completed in order to tell TiVo the channels were there. :P So technically, he didn't even install the first card ... though I guess really the Guided Setup is on us ... but seems like a bit of a rookie mistake, or poor advice?
You need to run guided setup to see the channels and get guide information.

Quote:
We've had to reboot twice tonight because the Fall service update came in, and the card keeps dropping hi def TNT. We should have that channel with our tier, but all we get is a grey screen. Should we call Cox about that, or just wait patiently for it to "come in" (whatever that means)? Or is it because the unit is confused by the extra M card?
Tune to a channel that you aren't getting. Then take a look at the Conditional Access screen under Settings -> Account & System Information -> CableCard Decoders -> CableCard 1 -> CableCard Menu.

Attached is a picture of a correctly activated CableCard on Verizon FiOS. Your Host Validation entry will probably be different on Cox, but the rest should look pretty much the same. Pay particular attention to the EnabledByCP and Auth entries. If those don't say Yes and Subscribed then they did not correctly activate the card.
Attached Images
File Type: gif CableCard1_Correctly_Authorized.gif (34.7 KB, 31 views)
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:51 AM   #689
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
(Newbie de-lurks)

I just had Cox OC out today to install the cards in our new TiVoHD, and the tech told me several things that I don't think are entirely true. Would appreciate some clarification from folks here.

Wrong. TivoHD supports M cards for dual tuning.
Quote:
He's wrong. You only need 1 M card for your TivoHD. You won't be able to order PPV through your TivoHD regardless what type of card you have. You should be able to order over the phone or internet though and VIEW it on your TivoHD as long as the PPV is not OnDemand and your cableco has not implemented SDV technology.

Quote:
* We were quoted $89 for installation (it's usury, and I told the lady that on the phone), but I'm guessing now that was $45 for each card? (One of which I don't need?)
I was upset about my install for 2 cards as well but you were seriously ripped off. I think mine was $15 each?

Quote:
* We had no program data and only one hi-def channel when the tech left. He told us it was just because the channels all took a while to download and they "don't all come in at the same time." O_~ In fiddling around with it tonight, I discovered, of course, that the problem was the guided setup hadn't been completed in order to tell TiVo the channels were there. :P So technically, he didn't even install the first card ... though I guess really the Guided Setup is on us ... but seems like a bit of a rookie mistake, or poor advice? I mean, had we not known better, we would never have gotten the channels, right?
My experience has been that most installers have barely heard of Tivo, let alone seen or worked on one. I had a similar experience with Cox Phoenix. From what I've read, you have to get lucky and find someone who really has an interest in these things like you do. Unfortunately I get he feeling that most cable installers are just doing it to have a job and don't really have much of a hobbyist interest.

Quote:
* We've had to reboot twice tonight because the Fall service update came in, and the card keeps dropping hi def TNT. We should have that channel with our tier, but all we get is a grey screen. Should we call Cox about that, or just wait patiently for it to "come in" (whatever that means)? Or is it because the unit is confused by the extra M card?
No ideas here.. sorry.

Quote:
Thanks for any advice. Seems like the techs ought to be better trained -- do they not bring out TiVo reps to train folks, or at least to do the train-the-trainer?
I don't know what kind of training is done.. but I suspect it's minimal for cablecards and non-existent for Tivos. Cable companies really have no incentive to make your switch to Tivo easy. They're losing money with every customer who switches. Combine that with the fact that most people don't care enough to attempt the switch and you see why they don't invest $$ into Tivo support training from a business perspective.
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #690
moyekj

Quote:
(Newbie de-lurks)
Amazing the incompetence. I know of several people in OC who had Tivos installed and Cox OC has done 2 sets of CC installs for my S3s (though both times I did everything while they watched and they simply called the #s in since I don't let them touch my equipment). Anyway, even if you did need 2 cards (which you don't as others have pointed out) you could get the charge for the 2nd card waived by calling in and making a fuss. In your case especially you don't need the 2nd card so for sure they should not charge you for it, and due to the trouble they caused you by installing it you should insist on getting the 1st CC install fee waived as well.