TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-30-2007, 03:55 PM   #601
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearle
I am on Cox Phoenix and had a similar experience. After 6 cards in slot 2 of the THD - none of which worked, we (I use the term loosely since the Tech was somewhat clueless) tried a card from my 65" Mits TV (which had been previously registered and was working), and lo and behold, it worked. I think others should take a look at this way of installing the second card to see if this really is an alternative way to get slot 2 working.
That just means that the 6 cards the tech tried probably weren't provisioned for their system before they left the warehouse - the cards themselves were probably fine.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #602
lament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpmsr
Cox San Diego tells me that they only have the single stream SA cards available. I wish I could get the other kind.

I really enjoy the TIVO service and the THD hi def signal to my Sony XBR4 is incredible. That's why I'm going to keep trying to get the THD to work.
They're full of ish.. they have them, as proven by me and others in this thread. Be persistent. You only need 1 M-card, vs. having to rent 2 singlestream cards.
lament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:06 AM   #603
Aaron1121

I just got a Tivo HD yesterday, and Cox was out today. I live in San Marcos, in Northern San Diego county. I had them install 1 M-Card.

The guy showed up with a box of old beat up SA cards, and I told him I wasn't going to let him install them and pay for 2 cards. He told me the M-card wouldn't work in a Tivo (because he was referring to the S3) He said all of the M-cards never install correctly. I argued with him, called his boss, and made him go back and get an M-Card. When he got back, it took less than 5 minutes to install, and it works perfectly.

Be persistent, and you will only need to pay the $1.99 fee for one card.
Aaron1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:04 PM   #604
markw365

Quote:
Originally Posted by lament
wait you lost me on that. can you explain what you mean?

You can't use the channel up/down if the channel isn't in the guide. You have to set the channels up in the guide before you can just surf them, otherwise you have to enter the channel number individually.

Mark
markw365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:13 PM   #605
markw365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron1121
I just got a Tivo HD yesterday, and Cox was out today. I live in San Marcos, in Northern San Diego county. I had them install 1 M-Card.

The guy showed up with a box of old beat up SA cards, and I told him I wasn't going to let him install them and pay for 2 cards. He told me the M-card wouldn't work in a Tivo (because he was referring to the S3) He said all of the M-cards never install correctly. I argued with him, called his boss, and made him go back and get an M-Card. When he got back, it took less than 5 minutes to install, and it works perfectly.

Be persistent, and you will only need to pay the $1.99 fee for one card.

Yes, they have M-Cards, and not all the techs know/seen the new TivoHD. Push for it as it's a $24/year savings on your cable.

Mark
markw365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #606
nicemann

Help!

Ok Phoenix Cox people I need help. I have talked to five different people working for Cox over the phone. 2 said they had Mcards in PHX and 3 said they did not. Of course the "independent contractor" has never heard of MCards.

Either way...I am trying to get two Tivo HD's setup. Since they "said" they don't have Mcards I have to use (4) single stream cards. Well first one did not work, second one worked no problems at all (no firmware update needed), 3-7 all will not update the firmware. Now I find it very hard to believe there are 4 bad cards. But we left it going for about 2 hours and same issue. Tech left the cards for me to play with. He will not be out till Saturday (2 days) with more cards to try.

Anyone have any suggestions on what could be causing this? They are the Scientific Atlantic cards.

Thank you for any suggestions.
nicemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:42 AM   #607
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

I'm Cox Phoenix w/ TivoHD. Same as you, contractor had only seen cablecard once prior to my visit. It seemed that the key to my install was convincing the contractor to give it more time for the firmware upgrade. I don't know what you could try on your own (without calling up and having to read off the #s to them) except maybe try the last card he attempted again and see if you can get it to get through the upgrade. I figure that will be the authorized card in their system still. Long shot I think.

Once you get it working you'll be happy. My only concern now that the pixelation issue is fixed and MRV/TTG/TTCB are on their way, is SDV. Cox announced that Phoenix would be a test area and I have no info on how far out from Phoenix this area will extend (I'm ~40 South/East) or which channels may be selected.
BrianAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:42 AM   #608
nicemann

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAZ
I'm Cox Phoenix w/ TivoHD. Same as you, contractor had only seen cablecard once prior to my visit. It seemed that the key to my install was convincing the contractor to give it more time for the firmware upgrade. I don't know what you could try on your own (without calling up and having to read off the #s to them) except maybe try the last card he attempted again and see if you can get it to get through the upgrade. I figure that will be the authorized card in their system still. Long shot I think.

Once you get it working you'll be happy. My only concern now that the pixelation issue is fixed and MRV/TTG/TTCB are on their way, is SDV. Cox announced that Phoenix would be a test area and I have no info on how far out from Phoenix this area will extend (I'm ~40 South/East) or which channels may be selected.
Well we actually let it upgrading after he left. Went on for about 2 hours. No luck. As for the authorized card in their system, I can call and add it myself he said. Just didn't know if everyone else had a firmware upgrade issue too.

Thank you
Old 09-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #609
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

I see. Sorry then, my firmware upgrade (1 of 2 cards) went fine, just took longer.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:13 PM   #610
the_dunner

I just spoke with Cox in Cleveland, OH last night and again today.

When I called last night, the technician informed me that yes, multistream cards were available, but I'd need to call back during regular Customer Service hours to schedule an appointment.

When I called today, the CSR person immediately sent me to technical support. (The same folks I spoke to last night.) Today, I was told that, no, they don't offer multistream cards. All of their cards are the SA cards that, at least until the latest patch, have the macroblocking issue. (In spite of the fact that their SA DVRs use pre-installed multistream cards.)

Fee would be a $6 Digital gateway (that I already pay for my one cablecard in my TV, and I'd have no qualms about taking that one out and swapping it into a TiVo) plus $2 per card. $20 for a truck roll to install the one remaining 1 cablecard. The fees seemed reasonable, though I'd rather just do the install myself. However, it's a wait of over a week for a truck roll.

I called TiVo to ask about the multistream issue, and the CSR seemed less than interested in doing anything to help. Apparently, he didn't care that the company offers multistream cards in their own devices, but not in consumer devices. That seems to me like the cable company setting a double standard for the consumer.

On a tangent, Cox Cleveland also has no plans to carry WBNX-55's digital broadcast. They're, a local OTA station that's been broadcasting digitally for well over months. In addition, the technician told me that, no, they weren't obligated to carry that. (I've filed a complaint with the FCC about that.)

So, the TiVo HD went back to Best Buy. (Where the sales rep who tried to talk me out of the return had no idea that the device used cablecards.)
the_dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #611
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

It seems that the TivoHD was the solution to your problem.

What was you complaint? No multi-stream cards? non-carriage of WBNX?

You could get your two single stream cards and get WBNX via OTA (assuming you receive it OTA now) and get everything on one DVR.

Cox carries my local HD CW network in Phoenix. I've heard in other markets they don't carry Fox ?!?!? Cox is wierd.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:03 PM   #612
Boid

FWIW, friend of mine just had Cox (Omaha) install 2 cards in his new HDTiVo. Cost was $30 for the tech visit, and $1.99 per month (each) for the cards. He said the installation was quick and painless. He's a lucky SOB.

He said Cox told him they don't have M-cards.

If his experience continues to be positive over the next couple of weeks, I'll be pulling the trigger on a new unit.
Boid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:05 PM   #613
lament

Why wait? The majority of people's problems were fixed with this last update. It's pretty solid now.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #614
mrbrown2195

So I recently got a TiVo HD and 2 CableCARDs here in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. First off, the installation went painfully - something that should've taken 20 minutes ended up taking THREE HOURS and two separate technicians.

Rather than sending a tech with two cards, like I had requested when I made the install request, they sent a tech with one card, who told me, "We're only supposed to carry one on us at a time." He got that card working within a few minutes, and then began to hunt down another tech for another card. He found one, who showed up, and tried to install the card himself without reading the TiVo provided instructions... after a while, I showed them what to do, and we determined the card didn't work. Long story short, hunted down another tech, took three hours, and I was late for dinner with the 'rents who were in town. I got the second card working by MYSELF after the technician left it in non-working condition.

It cost $109.90 for the installation, got them to reduce it to $54.95 (still bull). Also got them to remove one digital gateway charge (they attempted to charge me for two).

Now, they're telling me I can't order PPV... PERIOD. My belief was that it could be ordered, but only through the phone or Internet (not through the box, of course, because its one-way). Needless to say, I won't be able to watch LSU vs. Middle Tenn. tomorrow because they won't let me order the game. Is this correct, or are they just morons?
mrbrown2195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #615
lament

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrown2195
Now, they're telling me I can't order PPV... PERIOD. My belief was that it could be ordered, but only through the phone or Internet (not through the box, of course, because its one-way). Needless to say, I won't be able to watch LSU vs. Middle Tenn. tomorrow because they won't let me order the game. Is this correct, or are they just morons?
Correct.. the cards are one-way. No PPV, and no cable company guide (except of course the TiVo guide).
Old 09-14-2007, 07:43 PM   #616
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lament
Correct.. the cards are one-way. No PPV, and no cable company guide (except of course the TiVo guide).
Some Tivo users have reported they are able to order via phone - the cable representative should be able to authorize all CCs tied to your account for that program. VOD of course is not possible since it requires 2 way communications, but PPV should be possible. If you play CSR roulette you should be able to find one that can do this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:52 PM   #617
mrbrown2195

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
Some Tivo users have reported they are able to order via phone - the cable representative should be able to authorize all CCs tied to your account for that program. VOD of course is not possible since it requires 2 way communications, but PPV should be possible. If you play CSR roulette you should be able to find one that can do this.
See, that's what I thought. But when I called earlier tonight, the CSR wasn't sure, so he called over to tech support. The tech told him "yes" and he started to go through with my order, until apparently the system prevented him from doing so. So, he called up the head tech, who told him that PPV is not possible.

I don't see any technical reason why this wouldn't be possible... back in the "good ol days", you had to call them to get them to so-called "flip the switch" for PPV.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:22 AM   #618
jfranklin
CSR, Cox Hampton Rds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrown2195
See, that's what I thought. But when I called earlier tonight, the CSR wasn't sure, so he called over to tech support. The tech told him "yes" and he started to go through with my order, until apparently the system prevented him from doing so. So, he called up the head tech, who told him that PPV is not possible.
I haven't actually tried to key such an order for a cablecard but as I remember it as long as there is at least one two way converter on the account it should work. If you only have cablecards that could be a problem.

Keep in mind I'm not in the same market as you and things do vary a little from place to place.
jfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #619
KnightShade

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boid
FWIW, friend of mine just had Cox (Omaha) install 2 cards in his new HDTiVo. Cost was $30 for the tech visit, and $1.99 per month (each) for the cards. He said the installation was quick and painless. He's a lucky SOB.

He said Cox told him they don't have M-cards.

If his experience continues to be positive over the next couple of weeks, I'll be pulling the trigger on a new unit.
Boid is talking about me. When the tech showed up he commented that he hates doing cable card installations for TVs because he always has problems, but that he had never done an installation for a TiVo. He wasn't happy that his first service call of the day was a cable card installation. But the installation went perfectly. He just put in the cards, called the main office and read off the numbers and then after they said the cards were activated we tested the channels and that was it.

But the best part was that when I called Cox 2 weeks ago to get an idea how much it was going to cost me, the rep on the phone said that a tech had to come out to do the install and it would cost $70 per card but if they do two cards at once then the 2nd card would be 1/2 price. They said you couldn't pick up the cards and do the installation yourself.

The next week I called back to schedule the service call. I told the rep that I needed to swap out my Cox BlowVR(tm) with 2 cable cards. That rep asked me if I wanted to pick up the cards and do the installation myself or if I wanted to have a service tech come out and do the installation for $50 per card. I confirmed with her that it was possible for me to pick up the card myself and she said yep, just stop by any one of the several Cox local branches and they would have several cable cards in stock. I even confirmed with her that I could pick up the cards, do the installation in the TiVo and then bring back the BlowVR on a second visit. I said that I would stop by the next day.

The next day I go to the nearest local branch office and ask for two cable cards. The rep there was new and said that she had never handed out cable cards before so she called over her supervisor to show her how to do it. When the supervisor showed up she said that they don't allow customers do their own cable card installations. I would have to have a service tech do the installation. I asked her how much it would cost me, and she said it would cost $30 for each card with no discount on the second card install.

At this point I was a little pissed off because I had been told now three different prices, and had been told I could pick the cards up myself but when I showed up had been told that I could not pick them up. When I demanded to know why I was being told different information, they said that the $70 fee was if you didn't already have digital cable. If you already have digital cable (which I do), it costs $30 to install. When I made that first call 2 weeks ago I had also had the rep make a change to my account, so he had my information in front of him when he quoted me the $70 installation fee. She had no clue why the other reps quoted the $50 installation fee, the second card install discount or that I could pick up the cards myself.

But she said that since I had been told incorrect information and came out to the branch office for no reason, she was only going to charge me $15 for the installation of each card.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #620
mrbrown2195

I had previously complained to Cox concerning a second digital gateway charge, despite both cards being in the same box. The CSR, after much emailing back and forth, finally agreed with me and removed the second digital gateway charge.

Little did they mention that they de-provisioned the second CableCARD. Called Cox today to get them to re-activate it, and suddenly, I've got a second digital gateway charge again.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:00 AM   #621
rickfriele

Has anyone been able to get an M-card install with Cox in Las Vegas? They always tell me they don't know what the M-card is.
rickfriele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #622
silveravnt

Cox Cable Cards in Oklahoma

This week dealing with Cox has been very frustrating.

In Short: Cox DOES have Multistream cards in OK. However My son (4yo) is as qualified as the cox "installers to put cable cards in a Tivo"

Long version:
I called before I bought Tivo HD and asked about the price of the cards they told me the price to rent the cards. For 2 cards it is less than for my 1 current box. I asked if they have Multistream cards and was told "no".

I ordered the Tivo HD with standard shipping and called to see when I could go pick up my cards. At that point I was told (a) I could not pick them up. (b) They would be installed by a tech at a cost of $30 per card. and (c) I would have to wait a week for an appointment.
Well the TiVo box showed up in an astounding 2 days. So I got to look at it while I waited for my appointment.
The guy showed up this past Monday, late. He looked confused as he inspected the TiVo. That made me worry. He inserted the cards and then called to get them activated. At this point I could only get the free local channels. Another Tech showed up at my house and they both tried for half an hour to get it to work. Then they called in and requested backup. So I got an appointment for Tuesday for what I thought would be the Oklahoma City cablecard/Tivo expert.
The guy showed up on Tuesday and looked more confused than the first guys. He tried to blame signal strength and checked all my connections. Then he said he did not know what to do and I should call TiVo.
After he left I called TiVo and as surprised to get anyone at 8pm. The TiVo dude was super cool and I could tell knew his stuff. We got a Cox guy on the phone who could only tell us what was on his computer screen and made me another appointment for Wednesday. The TiVo Guy told me to call back when the Cox Tech was in my house.
Wednesday The Cox Tech shows up and again looks confused and pissed (these guys hate cablecards because they are not trained for them). I call TiVo and get a nice lady who asked some questions and talked to the Cox tech. Then the same second tech from Monday shows up and says maybe we can try these, as he produces a handful of multistream cards. Yeah the ones Cox does not have. They insert a mutistream card, activate it and I get all my channels. Done.
The machine itself is awsome. Well i have been using a series 1 for 5 years.

Last edited by silveravnt : 09-20-2007 at 11:34 AM. Reason: incomplete post
silveravnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #623
lament

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveravnt
This week dealing with Cox has been very frustrating.

My son (4yo) is as qualified as the cox "installers to put cable cards in a Tivo"

I called before I bought Tivo HD and asked about the price of the cards and was told they did not have
Please update your profile with your city/state so we know which Cox you're talking about..
Old 09-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #624
avanate

Going to hijack this a bit as an HTPC user, since I'm having CableCard issues with Cox in Phoenix as well.

Where I'm at is that I can get everything but my premium channels - EMM anc ECM counts are at zero, and apparently nobody calling in phone support has any clue what to do...anything I need to tell them to get them to send the right stuff to the cards?

FWIW..Cox in PHX has multi-stream cards....have one sitting in my machine right now.
avanate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:41 PM   #625
BrianAZ
Back on the wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanate
Going to hijack this a bit as an HTPC user, since I'm having CableCard issues with Cox in Phoenix as well.

Where I'm at is that I can get everything but my premium channels - EMM anc ECM counts are at zero, and apparently nobody calling in phone support has any clue what to do...anything I need to tell them to get them to send the right stuff to the cards?

FWIW..Cox in PHX has multi-stream cards....have one sitting in my machine right now.
Was it pure chance that you got a multi-stream card? If I call their CSR will they know what I'm talking about? Is there some secret to it?
Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 PM   #626
lament

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAZ
Was it pure chance that you got a multi-stream card? If I call their CSR will they know what I'm talking about? Is there some secret to it?
Just tell them to put it in the notes. The CSRs are clueless.. the techs will know.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #627
nicemann

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanate

I talked to 3 install techs, including one supervisor and they all said they do not have M-Cards in Phoenix. Even called support three times and finally was told there is none in PHX. Glad you got lucky. Wish I would have found the same people you did.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:57 PM   #628
quyrean

So my cable card installer arrived this morning. Cox Orange County, CA. He was brand new and had never done a TiVo or cable card. He didnt even have any cards with him. I was a bit worried at this point.

He called in, and about an hour later someone showed up with two cards who had done TiVos before. they put in the first card and called in the numbers. The operator said it would take a while because there were six boxes in front of mine. The screen went grey, but the Cox guy said that was normal.

They waited about 5 mins then stuck the second card in without testing the first card, even though I wanted to. They called up about the second one and closed the job.

The second card started working. The first tech called up "cableops" or something because the first card was not working. they said it was broken. So the tech went off to call about another one. I poked around when he was gone, and all the menus seemed to say the card was working, but the authorization was "unknown". I dont know if this is because they jumped the gun, or the card really was bad. I even tried rebooting the tivo when the tech was at his van, but that did not help.

So the tech came back with two new cards, and the fellow who had done this before. They took out the both cards. They were on the phone with someone who seemed to know the tivo gui. He had them go to the settings page and delete everything so they could put in the new cards. Since the tivo said this could take up to an hour they said they would come back at 1pm (in about an hour) and finish the job. I dont blame them for leaving.

They were really nice and friendly about it, it was just a bit fustrating that the process started at 8:30am and is still going.

The tivo has finished deleting everything, so I am running guided setup again before they get here.
quyrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:48 PM   #629
wierdo

Sad, since the only thing they had to do to use a different card was put one in the slot. It was also pointless to remove the working card, IMO.

I also had to go through a couple of cards in one slot to get one that would take.
wierdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #630
quyrean

Yes, I thought the whole delete everything was a bit extreme, but

I GOT TIVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it works now, YAY!

They came back and tried again, with a tech on the phone who seemed to know tivo. They got card 1 working without encrypted channels, card 2 worked on everything. They didn't want to check the page for the auth bit on the faq but decided the other new card was bad.

They then put the card that was working in slot 1, re-paired it, and we got all the channels. Fortunately, the tech had gotten 2 new cards, so he put the spare in slot 2 and it also worked! yay!

So after about 6 hours of waiting and mucking about, it all works. I think the key was having the tech call "digiops" directly. They were able to activate in real time.

One guy mentioned that they had been seeing a lot of tivo in the area lately (lake forest/mission viejo ca), so hopefully all the techs will soon know what to do.
quyrean is offline   Reply With Quote