TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #541
navman

This really sucks, would like to get tivohd but the service we are getting from cox as far as the cablecards are concerned leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe thats exactly what they want................
navman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:13 PM   #542
sniperlv

Anyone in Cox Phoenix that have one of these working have the information of what cards work with the Tivo HD? Such as model and firmware? If someone has this info I can call them back and get the correct ones.
Thanks
sniperlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #543
eochs

Hi everyone, maybe y'all can help me out here... I'm looking at getting a TivoHD this week to get rid of my 8300HD... Reading this and other threads I am getting confused by what I need to do and who I need to talk to... Can someone break down and summarize what I should be asking for from Cox (Phoenix)? Do I need 1 M-Card, or 2 single steam cards? Any certain brand of card I should ask for? etc, etc, etc...

Also, I thought cablecards would give problems with switched-digital video... Is this no longer true?

Thanks!
eochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #544
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

No switched digital in PHX (yet).

You need a multistream card if you can get it. Otherwise you need 2 single stream cards.

The only thing you're missing out on is PPV and their Interactive guide (lol). We don't even have On Demand yet but if they ever deploy that here you'll need a Cox STB to use it.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #545
eochs

What happens when switched digital comes to Phoenix? is my Tivo dead to cable?
eochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #546
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

I don't have any 1st hand expericence - but from what I understand we just won't be able to see the switched digital channels.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #547
sniperlv

Hey Shawn what Cable Card and what version firmware did Cox use to get yours working?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:45 PM   #548
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperlv
Hey Shawn what Cable Card and what version firmware did Cox use to get yours working?
I only have 1 S3 with cablecards.

It has SA cards model 0600 Version 0010
BootROM is version 115

Old 08-21-2007, 01:56 AM   #549
sniperlv

Thanks Shawn
Old 08-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #550
jimmylevans

Had same issue with my first S3 and returned it. Second unit works better but still having "Tileing" problems and a few audio gliches. I think my next action is to call Tivo and see if they can work through Cox and see if that can help.
jimmylevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:01 PM   #551
jimmylevans

Shawn, I have the same hardware and firmware settings as you and I am still getting the pixelization intermittently. Does anyone have this issue and if so what is the solution?
jimmylevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #552
djones18

Cox, Northern Virginia indicates M-Stream CableCARDs now available and provides pricing:

"Dear Valued Cox Customer:

Thank you for contacting our Cox Northern Virginia Online Customer Care Team.

We already have the M-Stream cable cards available. It has to be installed by a technician and installation fee is $29.99. The rental charge for the card is $1.99 per month apart from the digital gateway price of $ 6.95 per month."

NOTE: Cox CableCARD prices in this area increasing 1 October to $4.50 per card.
djones18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #553
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

It's funny how the new pricing is pretty much the same as 2 S-cards + the gateway fee.

If that CC price hike hits PHX I'll request that they swap my two s-cards for a single M-card on their dime or grandfather my pricing for the two s-cards.

I don't think either of these is unreasonable.

I do get pixelation now and then (nothing consistant) but I think it's Cox. From what I've seen of their STBs it's MUCH worse on their hardware.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #554
markw365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT
It's funny how the new pricing is pretty much the same as 2 S-cards + the gateway fee.

If that CC price hike hits PHX I'll request that they swap my two s-cards for a single M-card on their dime or grandfather my pricing for the two s-cards.

I don't think either of these is unreasonable.

I do get pixelation now and then (nothing consistant) but I think it's Cox. From what I've seen of their STBs it's MUCH worse on their hardware.

TivoHD with Cox San Diego. $2.00 single M Card, right now it just works. Have only had it up 3 weeks, so I haven't seen/heard about the bill yet from finance.

Mark
markw365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 04:03 PM   #555
lament

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw365
TivoHD with Cox San Diego. $2.00 single M Card, right now it just works. Have only had it up 3 weeks, so I haven't seen/heard about the bill yet from finance.

Mark
That's good news, Mark. Cox San Diego is coming tomorrow.

which reminds me.. going to call them and make sure they bring M-cards.

Mark did you specifically request M-cards when you called?

update: as I suspected, they didn't notate that i needed an M-card nor multiple single-stream cablecards.. argh. So that's notated.

I'll find out tomorrow from 9-11am.

Last edited by lament : 08-23-2007 at 04:14 PM.
lament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:33 PM   #556
gespears

Just a quick note to let everybody know that once of the SA cards supplied from Cox set the CCI byte wrong which meant the Tivo HD thought the programs coming from this card (or at least the ones with CCI set to 0x02, it would change it to 0x03) were pay per view and wouldn't let you record them. So if you run into this, check the diagnostic screen durning the programs you are not being allowed to keep a recording of, for the CCI byte, see what its set to. If it's 0x03 then retune everything so the other tuner is set to that channel and see what it shows the CCI byte to be. A cable card swap out took care of it (after all the typical problems with getting it provisioned correctly etc.)

Gary
gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #557
bracoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw365

Mark
Interesting that they told you that they had M cards. I spoke to them on Tuesday and they said that they were not available yet. I got the Tivo today, it's all set-up and waiting for the installation of the cards on Saturday. Time to make a call.
bracoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #558
lament

a few pages back, someone also said they had an M-Card with CoX San Diego.

I got the TiVo HD today.. will get mine setup tonight as well.

and yes call them and just have them put in the notes that you need an M-Card, and to bring a couple..
Old 08-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #559
jon96cobra

Just got a call yesterday about I'm loosing some stations unless I switch to a digital box instead of using the cable cards.

I wonder if the same applies to the M-cards? I'm still waiting to hear back what stations and if I can switch to M-card.
Series 3 with External 500gb
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
jon96cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #560
davecramer74

Quote:
I wonder if the same applies to the M-cards? I'm still waiting to hear back what stations and if I can switch to M-card.
ya it applies to any cable card device that doesnt support 2way coms. the cable card has nothing to do with it. cox just rolled out sdv in your area, so youll need their cable box to get the channels.

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...dustryid=47194

http://www.tvpredictions.com/cox082207.htm
davecramer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #561
lament

9:45am

OK the installer just called..

"Yeah you're upgrading your cable box?"

"No, you're installing cablecards into my TiVo HD."

"Oh.. cable cards?" [pause] "OK I'll be there in a few minutes."

this isn't looking good.

10:28am

Cox Installer Darryl came by with.... 4 single stream cards (blue cards). The kicker is that he had 2 M-Cards (green cards) but traded with one of his techs for the blue cards (single stream) before he got here because his other tech needed the green ones. He didn't know the green were M-cards.

So he just left and he's going to call me later when he grabs the M-cards because I told him I didn't want the single stream cards.

argh.. nice guy, but damn I knew this was going to happen.

updates to follow..

Last edited by lament : 08-24-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #562
jon96cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by lament

this isn't looking good.

Cox Installer Darryl came by with.... 4 single stream cards (blue cards). The kicker is that he had 2 M-Cards (green cards) but traded with one of his techs for the blue cards (single stream) before he got here because his other tech needed the green ones. He didn't know the green were M-cards.

So he just left and he's going to call me later when he grabs the M-cards because I told him I didn't want the single stream cards.

updates to follow..
Sorry to hear that.

Cox did something like that to me. Good luck with the install.
Series 3 with External 500gb
HL-S6187W Samsung DLP
jon96cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #563
bracoh

Quote:

this isn't looking good.

updates to follow..
I called this morning to make sure that it was noted on my order that I needed M-cards and to bring more than one. When I stet up the appointment I specifically asked that the person that came was a Cox employee. All of that is on my ticket, we'll see if they actually read it before coming. I'll post back tomorrow with the results.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:11 PM   #564
lament

2pm

he's been here since 1pm.. M-card isn't picking up channels, but I tried what the TiVo manual suggested and rebooted and ran guided setup again - which stalled at the Getting Program Guide part for some reason trying to connect to the server..

He checked my signals (and gave me a new splitter) - now trying to get dispatch to send out some hits on the card. It's paired up - it's just not getting channels.

stay tuned..

2:16pm

and we have liftoff! They had to reset the M-card, send some more hits, and now we have channels.

I'm finishing up the guided setup again...

Last edited by lament : 08-24-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #565
lament

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracoh
I called this morning to make sure that it was noted on my order that I needed M-cards and to bring more than one. When I stet up the appointment I specifically asked that the person that came was a Cox employee. All of that is on my ticket, we'll see if they actually read it before coming. I'll post back tomorrow with the results.
When the Cox guy calls you to say he's on the way, make sure to ask if has GREEN cable cards that say Multi Stream Card on them..

in other news..

For some reason, I'm stuck at Getting Program Info as it's "Preparing.." to Connect to check for new program info. Been sitting here for 5 minutes now. this happened earlier, and I had to hard reboot.

I don't know if there is an issue with TiVo's servers right now or what. I know my wireless is setup properly, because it was working fine last night.

update: it was just slow.. now it's time to check out the channels and setup my new learning remote..
Old 08-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #566
bracoh

Smile

The Cox guy got here at 10:50, 10 minutes early. Yesterday I called and requested that he bring M-cards. Of course he didn't and said that the warehouse was closed on Saturday so he couldn't get any. I complained and he said that he would see if anyone else had any that they could bring to him. While he was in the truck I called Cox and demanded that someone be here on Monday at no extra charge. He also confirmed that the ticket said to bring M-Cards. The installer didn't read it.

The guy came back with 2 M-cards. He had never done a TivoHD but had set up many Series 3 units. The whole thing took 40 minutes and I'm up and running. HBO and all of the HD channels are clear and functional. The installer was knowledgeable and pleasant and I'm very satisfied. Now I'm just waiting for the HD data to load so I can set up my season passes.

Considering all of the horror stories I've seen on this board, I feel very fortunate. I'm a happy guy right now!
Old 08-25-2007, 08:21 PM   #567
lament

Glad to hear it went smooth! Yeah as long as you get an M-Card, it seems to be smooth sailing.

I've noticed a couple of blips of macroblocking over the last 24 hours, but nothing major and I blame the source.

Now that I have this up and running, is the menu/channel changing always this slow? The menu transitions are also slow and not as smooth as my old Series 2.

Minor complaint, though.. I'm loving it so far.

oh another thing - 718, the National Geographic channel, has been out for me for about a week.

I called about it a week ago and they said it's a problem on National Geographic's end. Is anyone getting this channel (Cox San Diego)?

update: ok, after the most roundabout conversation with tech support, it appears for $3 more a month, I can get the National Geographic HD channel since it's (now) part of the "Discovery Tier." In this "Discovery Tier" there is but one HD channel - National Geographic HD.. the rest are these SD channels .

wtf? it was free for 2 days.. now they're charging for it? lame.

Last edited by lament : 08-25-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:57 PM   #568
bracoh

Quote:
Glad to hear it went smooth! Yeah as long as you get an M-Card, it seems to be smooth sailing.

I've noticed a couple of blips of macroblocking over the last 24 hours, but nothing major and I blame the source.

Now that I have this up and running, is the menu/channel changing always this slow? The menu transitions are also slow and not as smooth as my old Series 2.

Minor complaint, though.. I'm loving it so far.

oh another thing - 718, the National Geographic channel, has been out for me for about a week.

I called about it a week ago and they said it's a problem on National Geographic's end. Is anyone getting this channel (Cox San Diego)?

update: ok, after the most roundabout conversation with tech support, it appears for $3 more a month, I can get the National Geographic HD channel since it's (now) part of the "Discovery Tier." In this "Discovery Tier" there is but one HD channel - National Geographic HD.. the rest are these SD channels .

wtf? it was free for 2 days.. now they're charging for it? lame.

I'm getting 718 and I'm not paying extra for it. That doesn't sound right. If it isn't a premium channel then HD is HD. As far as I know there aren't any special tiers for HD programming.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:27 AM   #569
lament

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracoh
I'm getting 718 and I'm not paying extra for it. That doesn't sound right. If it isn't a premium channel then HD is HD. As far as I know there aren't any special tiers for HD programming.
you must subscribe to one of these packages then.

National Geographic HD available only to those customers that subscribe to the Digital Bonus Package (excludes Digital gateway customers).

What is a "Digital gateway customer"?

I have the most basic service available to still get HD (I believe limited basic + expanded). So I only get up to channel 70, plus the HD channels.

update: ok I poked around their site more.. honestly, it couldn't be more confusing.

I am a "Digital gateway customer" - I pay $6 for digital service. so in addition to my basic + limited service, I also get all the HD channels - except for National Geographic (NGHD) as that is now part of the "Digital bonus channels" (see below0.

So for $3 more a month, I can become a "1-package digital customer," get 11 digital bonus channels (including NGHD) plus I can choose one of these packages.

Last edited by lament : 08-26-2007 at 02:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #570
markw365

I just ran into a snag. They couldn't activate HBO/SHOWTIME. So they want to send a tech out. Scheduled for Wed since I always take the evening slot. We'll see what happens then.

Next on my list is a 500/750G drive. Need to update mfstools on my desktop to do it though. Let you guys know the success/failure. I'll probably toss a WD YS drive in it as they're cheaper and available locally over the DB35's.

Oh, yes, the HD is slower with the 30 second skip than the Series 2. Going to put my series 2 down at the end of the month when my DTV expires.

Mark
markw365 is offline   Reply With Quote