TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2007, 11:50 PM   #511
ccrocker001

Cox San Diego came out to install 4 cable cards in my 2 Tivo HDs. They installed 2 single stream cards in one unit and as many others have indicated, slot 1 worked perfect and slot 2 has major pixelation. On the other unit they installed 2 multi stream cards. As mentioned above, the installer insisted that although it was a multi stream card, I still needed two cards. The second unit seemed to work fine with a good picture on both tuners, but the Tivo unit kept throwing up a screen saying to remove the card in slot 2 since there was a multi stream card in slot 1. The Tivo also said that slot 2 would not be used if there was a multi stream card in slot 1. So I pulled the second multistream card from slot 2. AND despite what the installer said I am getting two perfect tuners from the one multistream card.

So with the second multistream card I am trying to activate it on the other unit in slot 1 and that is proving to be difficult. Cox is coming back on out tomorrow.

Whatever. At least one works like it should.
ccrocker001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:56 PM   #512
lament

I love how nobody at Cox knows what's going on. When I called them about multistream cards last week and posted a few days ago, they said they don't have them. good lord.

@ccrocker001:

did you verify that both tuners could record at the same time?

also, can the San Diego people also post the name of their installer so can ask for them.
lament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 12:18 AM   #513
ccrocker001

Well my installers really didn't know what was going on. But yes, both tuners work individually on one multi stream card. I can pause one tuner, go to the other tuner and watch it live or pause etc. and then go back to the other tuner and continue playing the paused stream. Right now both tuners are recording two different shows on one multi stream card.

The second multi stream card I put in the other unit seams to be slowly accepting more channels - not sure if this is normal.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:03 AM   #514
lament

If 1 multistream card works for both tuners, I don't understand why Cox is saying you need 2 multistream cards for 1 box.

Also did you guys specifically ask for multistream cards?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:21 AM   #515
ccrocker001

I didn't ask for anything. The installer did say they had just gotten "new" cards and were beginning to use them. They clearly have no idea what they are doing. Even when I tried to activate the other multistream card it is obvious to me now that two different people could not pair it properly. After the recent firmware update that fixes the issue with slot 2 I reinserted the single stream cards and all is working perfectly on both slots. So I have one Tivo HD with 1 multi stream card installed and two tuners working and another Tivo HD with 2 single stream cards now also working proplery. ...And now I have an extra multi-stream card that I think I'll hold onto until I get my first bill and see whats going on.

With the recent firmware update, I wouldn't be concerned about needing a multistream card - at least from cox in San Diego.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:27 AM   #516
lament

the firmware push already happened? someone had mentioned that TiVo said they were working on it.. damn that's quick if they did it already.

also, 1 multistream card = $2 rental, but 2 singlestream cards = $4 ($2 each).. so why wouldn't i want 1 multistream card?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:36 AM   #517
ccrocker001

force a download and you'll get the update. Then restart. You're right - $2 is $2. I'm just happy everything works....
Old 08-02-2007, 02:38 AM   #518
lament

lol I don't even have the TiVo HD yet.. i'm just doing my research.

thanks for all your info, btw..
Old 08-02-2007, 04:48 AM   #519
KiddSupreme

Looks like Tivo figured out the issue. Unfortunately I am not at home at the moment to see it work myself. When I get home Saturday, if it works, I can cancel out the truck roll.

Now I have to decide how to get the difference of the amount from Circuit City on the lower priced TivoHD.
KiddSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:19 AM   #520
DasRaven@
Analyst & Skeptic

Yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lament
If 1 multistream card works for both tuners, I don't understand why Cox is saying you need 2 multistream cards for 1 box.

Also did you guys specifically ask for multistream cards?
I inquired specifically about them and they told me they aren't available separately yet. You can only get one with the SA8300HDC box and those cards are paired to the box they come with.

Eventually, M-cards will be available and when they are, it'll cost anoth $50 to roll the truck to replace my 2 CCs with one.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #521
lament

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRaven@
I inquired specifically about them and they told me they aren't available separately yet. You can only get one with the SA8300HDC box and those cards are paired to the box they come with.

Eventually, M-cards will be available and when they are, it'll cost anoth $50 to roll the truck to replace my 2 CCs with one.
Hi DasRaven,

As evidenced by ccrocker001, it appears my market (San Diego) has them.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #522
JTalbert

Non Working CableCards

Ok, I thought I would share my experience so far.

I have a new HD Tivo, and I love it. Cox came out today to install the cards and after about 35 minute, he had both of them installed and I get channel 26 WETA, and THATS IT. I do not get ANY channel than channel 26... Well this would make my daughter happy since she is into Sesame Street, and Barney and all that kid fluff... But both cable cards teh exact same issue. I only get channel 26 for both cards...

The cards that they brought were Scientific Atlanta PowerKey Model PKM600 dated 4/8/2005.

After about an additional hour with the cox guy on the phone, was told that they would have to bring out year 2007 cable cards.

Here is my beef, They know in advance these earlier cards do not work in the Tivo's yet the guy only had these two year 2005 cards. Why didnt he have spare cards to try? Why did they even send out techs with anything earlier than 2007 cards if they know these others dont work.

So now I am going to have to wait till Monday because I will be going out of town tonight and wont be home till this weekend.

Anyone else experience this type of issue? Resolution?

My other gripe is this. Why does a tech even have to come out. Why cant you pick up the cards and install them yourself if your techincal such as I am. Answer, The cable company wants to nickel and dime you for anything they can.
JTalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:01 PM   #523
lament

Yeah the $55 fee is BS.

Also, you should just ask for 1 Multistream card like I will be doing once I get mine.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #524
doormat

OK, after a missed appt by the installer yesterday, a supervisor or chief tech finally came out today and tried to install the CCs. He brought four and one didnt work off the bat. The second one paired fine in slot one. The third one didnt seem to be pairing properly, so he went to replace it with the fourth.

The problem is the guy on the other side of the phone call (at Cox, someone named Wayne) kept telling the installer to hard boot the tivo - even when it was booting up. So the installer unplugged it from the back and plugged it back in. If you know about how the insides of a TiVo works you can probably tell where I am going with this -- green screen of death after about five reboots. He is coming back tomorrow at 5PM to see about getting the other card working.

Also, anecdotally, the 2007 card crapped out, while the 2005 cards seem to work the best in our situation - SA PowerKey cards.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #525
gespears

Well my Central Phoenix installers just left. Not too bad. They got here at 5:00. Checked the signal and found it lacking so they put in an amp. The first card they put in was bad of course. It was even smashed. The next two cards went in smoothly and they left at 7:00. They were nice guys and cleaned up all the old connections. There was a rookie and his trainer. The senior tech knew who to call to set up the cards. I think his name was David. They said he was the guru of cable cards. And they were real Cox guys, not subs.

Gary
gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #526
Cynicize

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1
You can get Center Ice. I have it with cableCARDS. And you can order PPV by calling it in. It's a one way device. You just can't order by remote.
I tried ordering a PPV today for my TivoHD to record. Apparently they require (Cox - Gulf Coast) you to have at least one "addressable" box on the account. It won't let me order a PPV online or on the phone. I called in about it, and they won't budge on it. Just said best I can do is wait on the Multistream card they have coming out sometime in the next 6 months.
Cynicize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:19 AM   #527
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicize
I tried ordering a PPV today for my TivoHD to record. Apparently they require (Cox - Gulf Coast) you to have at least one "addressable" box on the account. It won't let me order a PPV online or on the phone. I called in about it, and they won't budge on it. Just said best I can do is wait on the Multistream card they have coming out sometime in the next 6 months.
While I cannot speak for cox's policy from a technical perspective this is bs. A cable card device is addressable. How do you think they can authorize your box for the channels you have ordered.

I would have asked how multistream would have solved this problem as they are one way as well.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #528
lament

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellinj
While I cannot speak for cox's policy from a technical perspective this is bs. A cable card device is addressable. How do you think they can authorize your box for the channels you have ordered.

I would have asked how multistream would have solved this problem as they are one way as well.
Multistream CableCards (M-Card) are two-way.

M-Card: A two-way CableCARD module that implements all of the multi-stream functionality as well as the single-stream functionality (for backward compatibility purposes) of the CableCARD-2.0 Interface specification.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #529
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lament
Multistream CableCards (M-Card) are two-way.

M-Card: A two-way CableCARD module that implements all of the multi-stream functionality as well as the single-stream functionality (for backward compatibility purposes) of the CableCARD-2.0 Interface specification.
No matter what they say all current production cable cards are one way. AFAIK there is no real standard for the return path. Cable companies are pushing for DOCSIS and OCAP which to date no CE vendor has implemented in a consumer product. I fail to see how Mstream will help unless it is installed in a cable box with DOCSIS.

With that said all two way will provide is the ability to order from the box. You still should be able to call in and they can tell your card that you can watch a PPV. There should be no technical reason for the box to reply.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:17 PM   #530
instill

Well, I'm extremely annoyed. Cox arrived Saturday at 8:00 AM. The installer had two cards in his hand. Neither work. I kept getting an, "Invalid cablecard, please contact your cable provider" error message. The other irritating thing was the damn installer couldn't seem to figure out how the cards were ejected and kept trying to pull them out by force. I finally snapped at the guy and told him to get his damn hands off my box if he isn't going to follow simple directions and let me put the things in or take them out. Idiot.

He leaves and says another guy, a "cablecard expert" will come by around noon with fresh cards and that guy will get it worked out. Noon comes and goes. Then one o' clock, two o' clock, finally I call the original installer on his cell and ask what's going on. He says the "cablecard expert" says if the cards get inserted and they don't work, then the box is incompatible with their cards and I need to just get a Cox DVR.

I tell the guy to get back to my house with a handful of cards and we'll see about that. He says he'll come back around three o' clock. Three comes and goes... then four... then five. I finally call him again and ask what's the deal. He promises to swing by around six. Six finally comes and the guy shows up with just two more fresh cards.

He inserts the cards and we get the same invalid error. I gently remove and reinsert the cards again and now, finally, we get a screen listing settings and other details. I click on "Host ID" and get a "No information found" error. The Cox installer starts bitching about this and says I should forget TiVo and go with the Cox DVR. I call TiVo and they have me insert/reinsert the slot-1 card repeatedly and try different cards.

Finally, I get the settings menu again on one, click on "Host ID" and now it gives me an error like, "pot:///settings/config corrupt" quickly flashes and dumps me back to the invalid screen. The installer goes back to his truck, fetches four more cablecards and again, all have the same problem.

TiVo tells me EIGHT cablecards isn't enough to tell if it's the box or the cards - despite the cards all having dates in 2007 months apart. They tell me to call Cox and have them bring out another EIGHT cards next weekend and see if it works. I refuse this and say this is ridiculous. Either the damn TiVo HD box is broken and should never have been released to paying customers or the whole cablecard thing is a damn mess and clearly not ready for the public.

I demand TiVo ship me a brand-new TiVo HD and then I call Cox, with the installer there, and tell them to come back next Saturday with TEN cards to test. Anything less and they can cancel my $160/month contract and lose a five year customer.

This is pathetic.
instill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #531
lament

Cox where? you guys need to update your profiles please..
Old 08-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #532
Bodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanb
Where do you see the Digital Gateway charge? On mine I see DIGITAL CABLE SERVICE above each cableCARD.
Sorry for the delay, been away.

After a couple of months of bills for all the freebies to settle out, I don't actually see a gateway charge at all.

I have the standard basic, expanded and digital tier (instead of sports or entertainment). On top of that, I have showtime, 3 CCs (one in the back of the TV for watching the ball game while Tivo's busy, worth it for $24 a yr) at $2 each and a $10 credit for having all three services (phone, internet and cable).
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:03 AM   #533
navman

Cox cable cards in phoenix

what have your experiences been with cox cable cards in phoenix.
How much are they charging? are there any gateway access fees in phoenix?
Do they have the m-cards available as yet?
navman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #534
Sirshagg

For what it's worth...

I'm in Phoenix and seriously considered going to cox instead of giving up my Tivo with DirecTv. I didn't and a BIG reason why is because they wanted to charge me an $8 digital gateway fee for EACH cable card (no m cards). $16 to cox for each series 3 tivo (on top of the Tivo monthly fee and purchase was not going to happen!!!

Got my HR20's now
Sirshagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:23 PM   #535
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

Cox Phoenix charged me that originally but later changed it. I posted the 'updated' charges a little while back:

I have their High speed Internet, phone service (basic 3 features), & Digital cable (no premiums) with only one of my S3s with cablecards and I now pay $118 and change a month.

The $12x charge was from when I was paying the multiple gateway fees.

I expect another set of cable cards for S3 #2 to cost me $11/mo + the ridiculous install fee.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works

Last edited by Shawn95GT : 08-17-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:02 PM   #536
navman

Cox Cable Phoenix

thank you for ur input sirshagg and shawn.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #537
lament

Hey guys,

I've called Cox San Diego and they're going to be coming out on Friday morning at 9am. I asked the rep on the phone to bring multiple multistream and singlestream cards, but I got a rushed feeling from her, so I'll call early next week to confirm that it was put in the notes. I'll be buying the TiVo HD Thursday night.

I'm assuming all I have to do on Thursday is setup my TiVo account online, purchase the service plan, attach the wireless and run through the TiVo setup as much as possible.

Anything else I need to do before the Cox guy comes?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2007, 11:37 PM   #538
sniperlv

Cox Phoenix will be here Sunday. Wish me luck, as I asked them to bring lots of cable cards also. One rep tells me they don't have Multistream, the last one I talked to says they do. So I guess I will find out in a couple days.
sniperlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:14 PM   #539
navman

Cablecard installation

So how did it go sniperlv?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:48 PM   #540
sniperlv

Well the installer arrived, not a Cox Employee a contractor. He brought 2 S cards a 2005 and a 2006. Of course he had never seen a Tivo HD. I explained to him that I had requested that whomever they send to advise them it was a Tivo and to bring lots of Cards. Long story short one card is in the Tivo now stuck at firmware update, he was only here 30 minutes. Left the cards here with the one trying to do the update. He gave me his cell number so in 30 more minutes or so I am going to call him and instruct him to either go get more cards and return back, or send a supervisor with more cards. As I don't think these are going to work.
sniperlv is offline   Reply With Quote