TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #481
KustomMerc

can anybody verify that the picture quality is not the same with Tivo3 and Cox cable cards then the HD picture you can get over the cable with the HD tuner in your set. I'm running the latest firmware too. ??
KustomMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:37 AM   #482
lament

Hey all,

Anyone have a recent experience with Cox San Diego? I'm about to ditch the SA 8300HD and this thread has scared the hell out of me.

Also, is Cox San Diego using multi-stream cards yet?
lament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:13 PM   #483
VicV_1

I called Cox Cleveland because I had a problem with cable card #2. Sometimes HBO channels and some HD channels would cause an error. The gray/black screen would come up. If I rebooted it would be fine then all of a sudden, I'd get that screen again. The Cox guy came out and replaced card #2 and haven't had any problems for 2 weeks now.
VicV_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:37 AM   #484
Joe Jensen

Cost estimate ????

I currently have DirectTV, one HD Tivo and one SD Tivo DSR6000. I also use COX high speed internet and there is a $10 bundle savings if I have their Cable and Internet.

I am considering a move to COX in Phoenix. When I would move, I would end up with 2 HD Tivo units.

From reading this entire thread it looks like I will have a much larger monthly cost.

2 Tivos, one $12.95 and one at $6.95 for MSD?

4 cable cards at $6 each?

What else?

Here is what I pay Direct TV now.
$47.99 TOTAL CHOICE Monthly

$13.00 HBO Monthly

$9.99 HD Access Monthly

$5.99 DIRECTV DVR Service Monthly

$4.99 Additional Receiver

$81.96 Total

$56.45 High Speed Internet (looks like I can reduce it to $39.95 plus tax with some new rate)

Can a Cox Phoenix user tell me what it will cost me?
Joe Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:55 AM   #485
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

I have the digital tier with 2 cablecards in one of my S3s.

The bill is $118 and change for High speed Internet, digital cable, and the telephone service. The phone service pretty much works out to be free in the deal. If you opt-out of the phone it costs about the same. I think I'm paying a little less as they grandfathered my old price when they did the last rate hike (about $10).

I think you're looking at another $11 for the #2 S3 (Cable card fees + digital gateway fees).

then another $12.95/mo for HBO.

I'd figure $140-$150/mo to cox for 2 S3s, 4 cablecards & HBO, High Speed internet, & Digital phone service + your Tivo fees.

See if you can talk them into a free install for the Cablecards - that alone is worth about $60.
1x S3 Tivo WD10EVVS 1TB upgrade
1x Tivo Premier - WD20EURS 2TB upgrade in the works
Shawn95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:06 AM   #486
Joe Jensen

Shawn, did you have DirectTV HD before Cox? If so, how does it compare?...joe
Joe Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:40 AM   #487
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

No, I had Voom until it went out of business, then Cox with their crappy DVR.

I canceled Cox and went to Qwest VDSL.

I did off-air for HD and VDSL for cable until the S3 came along.

I then switched to the Cox triple play. The quality is good!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #488
mriechers

Cox pricing is fairly uniform, no?

I'm paying $138 /month in NoVA for 15mbps internet + digital cable + HD + 2CCs + HBO + 3 of those $2 channel packages. Its a bit expensive, but its a really nice service package.
mriechers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #489
DasRaven@
Analyst & Skeptic

Red face Cox Phoenix & M-cards

So Im about to pick up a TivoHD to replace my 8300HD and the second level Cox support says that right now the only way to get an M-Card is to take delivery of an 8300HDC as they come bundled.

I asked why single-stream cards are available separately, but M-cards are not and they said we don't know, but will let you know sometime today.

I'm not holding my breath for an answer. Sounds like this is all new to them.
I wonder if I could schedule the 8300HDC install and just have them move it's M-card to the TivoHD and send back the 8300HDC and my current 8300HD?
DasRaven@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 01:04 PM   #490
lament

where do you live, DasRaven?

And nobody else here has Cox San Diego?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:13 PM   #491
DasRaven@
Analyst & Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lament
where do you live, DasRaven?

And nobody else here has Cox San Diego?

Sorry, I was just setting up my profile. I'm in Phoenix.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #492
lament

OK so I went on Cox's site and called to get the scoop for San Diego.

- No M-Cards
- CableCards are $2 each/month
- 1-time $55 installation charge (ouch!)

Now I just need to drop hints to the fiancée what I want for my birthday in 2 weeks..
Old 07-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #493
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

don't forget the 'digial gateway fee' that you pay on top of the cablecard fees, per S3 (and sometime per cablecard!).
Old 07-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #494
lament

I didn't include the cost of cable into that..

$46.95 standard + extended cable
$6 digital cable (aka Gateway)

and i'm currently paying:

$9.95 DVR service
$5.25 ****** 8300HD box
Old 07-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #495
saltsage

Cable Cards working....sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygundan
Cox installers in Chandler, AZ (near Phoenix) brought three Scientific Atlanta cablecards, all of which were invalid according to the error message that popped up on the Tivo. My Tivo was working fine with a pair of Motorola cards from Comcast in Indianapolis.

They're claiming that they haven't successfully installed any Series 3 units and that they're waiting on information from Tivo. Is there anybody on Cox in or near Chandler, AZ who has their Series 3 up and running with cablecards? Is this an issue with a known workaround, like maybe they have all their cards programmed wrong and they need to be reflashed?
We had our series 3 installed last January with two cable cards and even though the installer did not know which end of the unit was up, with my assistance, we got the cards working. However, I have had numerous occasions where I have lost some of the local HD channels or lost them all even though the premium channels continued to work. A signal to the cards from Cox works after about 15 minutes and temporarily restores the channels. Definitely a PITA!! Anyone else having this issue??
saltsage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:41 AM   #496
KiddSupreme

Red face Cox Cable card install in San Diego, CA

Well I am what they call a lurker on this website, hence the low post count. However, I would like to add my recent (and currently ongoing) experience with Cox Communications (San Diego, CA). I recently (last Thursday) purchased a Tivo HD from Circuit City. That same day, I contacted Cox to setup a 2 cablecard installation on the device. The nice lady on the line stated someone could be there the next day (friday).

Friday comes, and I have the Tivo HD connected and ready to go. The installation appointment was between 11am and 1pm. Imagine my surprise when the guy is there 11:03am with cards in hand. He went about his business installing the cable cards. Long story short, 3 hours into the install, we had a successful install of one of the cards in slot 1, but major artifacting and dithering in slot 2. My helpful installer went through 6 different cards. He even used some multistream cards (although according to the installer, I would still need two cards regardless of whether they are multistream or single stream. Apparently Cox only sends out a single stream per card. But I digress).

At first, I thought it was his cablecards. I mean, how likely is it that I just received a new Tivo HD that is defective. Feeling a bit disappointed at the point, my helpful installer said he would come out tomorrow to try some more cards. Tomorrow comes (Saturday), and the installer tries again to get that second slot to work. But no dice, just bad reception. It is at this point that I am now convinced that something may be wrong with the Tivo HD itself. The installer states that he would be out on Monday with a whole new set of cards to try.

In the meantime, I checked at the Circuit City in my area to see if any other Tivo HD's were available. Unfortunately, they were out of stock. However, there was a Circuit city 25 miles away that did have it in stock. I proceeded to return the Tivo HD, drive up to get the new Tivo HD, and return home. However, when I called Cox to activate the cards (the installer left a multistream card and a single stream card), the lady on the other end stated that only an installer could install the cards (which I find strange since all they really do is stick the card in, call up dispatch, read off the serial number, Cable Card ID, & Host ID. How "technical" can that be).

But unfortunately the lady on the other end was adamant about it. So now I wait until Monday to "hopefully" enjoy dual tuner Tivo HD goodness. I will try to keep you appraised of any new developments. I would like to say that I am happy have the cable installer went above and beyond what is normally expected of an installer. He stayed an hour past my window to try and get that Tivo working. That's what I call service.

If anyone else is in the San Diego area, I'd appreciate hearing your experiences with Cox & Tivo. TTYL.
KiddSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 11:20 PM   #497
lasergecko

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltsage
A signal to the cards from Cox works after about 15 minutes and temporarily restores the channels. Definitely a PITA!! Anyone else having this issue??
Get a new card installed, especially if you see the diagnostics screen popping up no matter how briefly.
lasergecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:40 PM   #498
frankthetank

TivoHD Cable Card issues anyone?

The Fairfax Cox tech got the 1st cablecard working just fine, but when installing the 2nd cablecard, the picture was tiled and very pixleated. Thought it might be a defective card, so tried 3 other cards and all of them had the same problem. I think this is turning out to be a Tivo box issue. Has anyone else had this problem??

Last edited by frankthetank : 07-30-2007 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Add information
frankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:56 PM   #499
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank
TivoHD Cable Card issues anyone?

The Fairfax Cox tech got the 1st cablecard working just fine, but when installing the 2nd cablecard, the picture was tiled and very pixleated. Thought it might be a defective card, so tried 3 other cards and all of them had the same problem. I think this is turning out to be a Tivo box issue. Has anyone else had this problem??
Well if you look up just a couple of posts ago KiddSupreme is having the same issue: "we had a successful install of one of the cards in slot 1, but major artifacting and dithering in slot 2"
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:10 PM   #500
KiddSupreme

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj
Well if you look up just a couple of posts ago KiddSupreme is having the same issue: "we had a successful install of one of the cards in slot 1, but major artifacting and dithering in slot 2"

Day 5 of the struggle:

So, Monday arrived, and my friendly neighborhood Cox Cable installer comes with 2 brand spanking new single stream cablecards. The first cablecard (Slot 1) install goes off without a hitch. But the second cablecard (Slot 2) has the same pixelated, jibberish on screen. Surprisingly, all the HD channels came in perfectly clear on the Slot 2 cablecard, but no other channels.

Going through the cablecard screens with the installer, we noticed something peculiar. We were getting EMMs, but no ECMs incrementing. Also, under decryption status, it stated "No ECMs detected". The dispatch asked us to try the different channels, and come back to the Cablecard screen. Eventually, the ECMs went up by about 3, and the decryption status said "OK". But about 30 seconds later when we checked, the ECM count dropped back down to 2, and the decryption status stated again "No ECMs detected".

So now we have an issue. Before I thought it could possibly be a defective Tivo. But this is a brand new different Tivo HD. The installer stated that they are going to have to send out their most senior installers. Basically, think of them as individuals that really know their stuff and are willing to stay 8+ hours to get something fixed. I'm suppose to receive a phone call tomorrow from Cox to get that setup.

But yeah, to the individual that stated if anyone else was having the same issue, I am. And this is my 2nd Tivo HD. I'm pretty much 100% sure it has nothing to do with the equipment. For some reason, ECMs are coming down Cablecard Slot 2.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:30 PM   #501
chicodoggy

Just set up my Tivo HD box and getting 2 cards installed on Wednesday. I will let you know if I have any problems with the install.

I also noticed the Tivo HD is SLOW. I hope they fix this with a firmware upgrade in the near future. I have also had to reset my box a few times due to loss of signal.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:55 PM   #502
shizle

Just an FYI, I thought that my signal was weak (causing the signal to drop, forcing a reboot). It turns out that the TIVO was sitting on top of my Denon avr3803, and causing overheating! So I'd get signal drop every 15 minutes or so, and I was grinding my teeth.. These boxes apparently are quite heat sensitive.
shizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:06 AM   #503
KiddSupreme

Note

Well I was reading a very informative article from Ars Technica . Its a primer on CableCards. I was always wondering what was meant by EMMs and ECMs and why it was important in the scheme of getting the CableCards configured properly. Two entries of note were:

Quote:
Once these keys are recorded, the CableCARD is "hit" by the cable company, which simply means that it is remotely programmed with information about what channels and services you have paid for and are entitled to watch. This is done by sending an Entitlement Management Message (EMM) from the headend to the CableCARD. An EMM is an out-of-band transmission (it sends data over low frequencies not reserved for cable channels) that authorizes a specific CableCARD to decode a specific set of services (HBO, etc.) to a specific host. Once this is done, the CableCARD is ready to go.
Quote:
The demodulated, encrypted signal passes from the TV into the CableCARD, which first checks the EMMs to see if the user is authorized to view that channel (basic channels may not require an EMM). If so, the card then pulls something called an "Entitlement Control Message" (ECM) out of the in-band signal. The ECM is the key needed to decrypt the channel, and it is sent along the line every 100 ms in order to eliminate the delay often found when switching channels on older systems. The ECM is also rotated every few seconds in order to discourage hacking. The ECM is itself encrypted by a proprietary mechanism built into both the headend and the CableCARD, so when a CableCARD attempts to descramble a channel, it first decrypts the ECM, which then allows it to decrypt the MPEG-2 stream.
So, maybe in my situation, the problem is the ECM is not properly being decoded by the cablecard Slot 2. At least, that's what I gather. I could be wrong. If anyone else would like to shed some light on the subject, feel free.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:14 AM   #504
lament

great info, KiddSupreme. thanks for that.

btw, don't forget to edit your profile so people know where you're from.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:18 AM   #505
Joe3

My theory, Cox is loading their bandwitdth by adding too many VOD and new HD channels.

Some channels are coming at 100%, others near the new added channels are coming in at less than 90% causing a no signal lock to flash on and off and blank out entirely. Channels are bouncing signal strengths at 72-97 in 5 sec.

The tech takes a reading off the coax and the signal is near 100 %.

Anyone?
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:49 PM   #506
Sirshagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT
don't forget the 'digial gateway fee' that you pay on top of the cablecard fees, per S3 (and sometime per cablecard!).
I'm curious is they wanted to charge you this fee per cable card. They told me it's per card, not device. That's the moment I decided they would not get my business.
Sirshagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:07 PM   #507
Shawn95GT
Tivo, in HD!

When I first got the S3 setup with cablecards they charged the fee per cablecard. A month or two later they fixed it so it's right (per device).

Personally I think it's how they re-couped the 'free' install I got.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #508
nick58b

I just got off the phone with Tivo, they told me they were aware of problems with the second cablecard slot in the Tivo HD, and are working on a fix. The rep I talked to said they would hopefully have the update pushed out by next week.

As for my experience, I had 3 visits from Cox cable, probably 5 hours and 8 cablecards tested total. They finally narrowed down the problem when they sent out a senior tech with pretested cablecards, and a 26" tv to prove they worked...
nick58b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #509
StuffOfInterest

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick58b
As for my experience, I had 3 visits from Cox cable, probably 5 hours and 8 cablecards tested total. They finally narrowed down the problem when they sent out a senior tech with pretested cablecards, and a 26" tv to prove they worked...
I bet someone at Cox is really pissed right now about the amount of tech time being used on what turns out to be a hardware fault not of their causing. Hopefully TiVo gets a fix out really soon, but you can bet that the cable operators are going to be less helpful regarding TiVo issues when this gets around.
StuffOfInterest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #510
chicodoggy

Well, the cards are in after waiting 3 hours for cox to show up today. The installer didn't even know what a tivo was or how to install the cards...so I did it myself. Very easy but it took about 30 minutes for the cards to come up and the tivo to download new channel info.

BUT, now card 1 is fine and card 2 is pixelated on any digital channel over 100. I am having cox come back out on friday to see if a different card solves the problem.

In the meantime, I will be switching the cards around to see if it is the card or the slot in the tivo hd.

I hope tivo releases a patch if this is their issue very soon or I will be sending it back to cc.