TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
abdu

Do I really need Tivo Desktop Plus to transfer from PC?

My transfers from PC to Tivo, initiated from Tivo, stopped working. After going through various troubleshooting tips and calls to Tivo, I was told by a Tivo rep that I need the Desktop Plus version which costs $25. I asked her how come it was working before? The reply was they applied a patch and I need the plus version now.

So is this BS I am getting from Tivo or do I truly need the plus version?

abdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdu View Post

So is this BS I am getting from Tivo or do I truly need the plus version?
Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, the customer service rep you talked to was absolutely wrong. You do not need the plus version of the software to simply transfer shows to your PC. The advantage of the plus version is that it will convert transferred shows for playback on portable devices. It will also transcode certain types of web videos on the fly so that they can be displayed on your Tivo.

Last edited by gweempose; 03-17-2009 at 03:31 PM.
gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
moyekj

Dump Tivo Desktop completely and use the free 3rd party tools such as:
pyTivo (transfer pretty much any video to your Series2 or Series3 Tivos)
streambaby (stream pretty much any video to your Series 3 Tivos)
kmttg (transfer videos from Series2 or Series3 Tivos to your PC with a lot of optional post-processing steps)
With a combination of the above you can do a lot more than TD+ can do and you can get much better support in these and other forums to boot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
muerte33

And don't forget TivoPlaylist for Windows users (new version .67 came out last week).
http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/c/dcahoe/tivo/index.htm

muerte33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
abdu

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, the customer service rep you talked to was absolutely wrong. You do not need the plus version of the software to simply transfer shows to your PC. The advantage of the plus version is that it will convert transferred shows for playback on portable devices. It will also transcode certain types of web videos on the fly so that they can be displayed on your Tivo.
I am transferring From PC to Tivo. Not from Tivo to PC.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
abdu

Quote:
Originally Posted by muerte33 View Post
And don't forget TivoPlaylist for Windows users (new version .67 came out last week).
http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/c/dcahoe/tivo/index.htm
Does it transfer from PC to Tivo? Looking at the description, it seems it does Tivo to PC only?

Old 03-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #7
abdu

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Dump Tivo Desktop completely and use the free 3rd party tools such as:
pyTivo (transfer pretty much any video to your Series2 or Series3 Tivos)
streambaby (stream pretty much any video to your Series 3 Tivos)
kmttg (transfer videos from Series2 or Series3 Tivos to your PC with a lot of optional post-processing steps)
With a combination of the above you can do a lot more than TD+ can do and you can get much better support in these and other forums to boot.
Thanks. I will check out pyTivo. StreamBaby does streaming only. I actually want the video to reside on the Tivo. kmttg seems to transfer the other direction only.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdu View Post
Thanks. I will check out pyTivo. StreamBaby does streaming only. I actually want the video to reside on the Tivo. kmttg seems to transfer the other direction only.
Yes, the point was to show you complete functionality of Tivo Desktop Plus and more, since as you know Tivo Desktop can transfer from and to PC, so:
pyTivo to transfer stuff to Tivo
streambaby to stream stuff to Tivo
kmttg to transfer from Tivo to PC (and optionally many additional post-processing functions)

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
20TIL6
BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

I may make the jump to another solution like pyTivo. I've been running TiVo desktop for quite a while. Not using the latest version, but the one just prior. But it does not matter what version I use. After a few days of running, it just dies. No longer see my PC in the Now Playing list. I have a dedicated PC running TiVo desktop, and it's a very capable box. But the TiVo desktop service just disappears after a few days. Reboot, restart, and I get a few more days, then it's gone again.

I love TiVo, but I gotta' say, that app is frustrating.

20TIL6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
malign59

I have similar problems with Desktop. Works normally most of the time, then all of the sudden my PC doesn't show up on the Now Playing list on Tivo. The server still seems to be running on the PC. My method of recovering it is to restart the server on the PC (although it still won't show up on Tivo), then I go and view my shared pictures on the Tivo, then back to Now Playing and I have my PC showing up again. Quicker than re-booting the Tivo, but still quite frustrating that this happens so often.

malign59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
20TIL6
BaDoop BaDoop BaDoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by malign59 View Post
I have similar problems with Desktop. Works normally most of the time, then all of the sudden my PC doesn't show up on the Now Playing list on Tivo. The server still seems to be running on the PC. My method of recovering it is to restart the server on the PC (although it still won't show up on Tivo), then I go and view my shared pictures on the Tivo, then back to Now Playing and I have my PC showing up again. Quicker than re-booting the Tivo, but still quite frustrating that this happens so often.
Good to have company.

20TIL6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
motley28

I see that for pyTivo one of the requirements is that you have a subscription. Question, is there software to transfer video from PC to Tivo without a sub? Reason being is that I have 2 tivo series 2 receivers, one with lifetime sub and one without any sub paid on it since who knows. Anyway I have been thinking about selling the lifetime subbed receiver because I'm broke. The tivo desktop feature is the one thing that I don't want to live without. I already paid for the Tivo Desktop Plus software but only works with subbed receiver(as far as I can tell). I love the software it really saves time and I just got so sick of burning DVD's, it's alot easier to just rip a dvd or whatever and transfer and watch. Works well with video I take with vid cam as well. If anyone is wondering about the Tivo Plus software, I love it!!No probs! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanx.

motley28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:39 AM   #13
steve614
what ru lookin at?

The subscription requirement is in regard to the Tivo. A Tivo without a subscription will not do transfers and there is no PC software that will circumvent this. You may want to hang on to your lifetime subbed Tivo.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #14
purefct

I don't want to pay for the new Tivo Desktop plus, so I downloaded an older Tivo Desktop and after I entered my Media Key for my lifetime Tivo subscription I was able to watch the old shows! I haven't used my Series2 Tivo for about 5 years now and today I wanted to watch shows I previously downloaded to my laptop so this was a great option

purefct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #15
Jim5506

If it works for a few days and then stops, it might be either the computer or your router, reboot both and see if that helps.

Jim5506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by purefct View Post
I don't want to pay for the new Tivo Desktop plus, so I downloaded an older Tivo Desktop and after I entered my Media Key for my lifetime Tivo subscription I was able to watch the old shows! I haven't used my Series2 Tivo for about 5 years now and today I wanted to watch shows I previously downloaded to my laptop so this was a great option
Desktop Plus isn't a newer version, exactly.

You can install the newest version of the free version 2.8.2 or 2.8.3 (which is just 2.8.2 with code added to work with the THR22, the DirecTiVo which came out a few years ago), and you'll have the newest version. Paying for the Plus "upgrade" gives you a "key" to enter that turns on some features that are disabled in the free version.

But to copy shows from the TiVo to a PC or from a PC to the TiVo you don't even need the Plus key.

If you want to watch the shows *on* the PC instead of on the TiVo, and you're running Windows 8 or newer, you'll probably have to pay for Plus for reasons that are Microsoft's fault.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:34 PM   #17
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim5506 View Post
If it works for a few days and then stops, it might be either the computer or your router, reboot both and see if that helps.
If it works for a few days and then stops, give all of the TiVos involved and all of the PCs involved fixed IP addresses which lie outside of the router's DHCP address pool.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:29 AM   #18
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you want to watch the shows *on* the PC instead of on the TiVo, and you're running Windows 8 or newer, you'll probably have to pay for Plus for reasons that are Microsoft's fault.
I'm running Windows 10 Pro Preview(10162), having upgraded from a 7 Pro system, clean install, and Windows Media Player (v12.0.10011.0) works fine to play .TiVo files I've pulled from a Tivo using Tivo Desktop Software (v2.8.2). I just needed to associate .TiVo with WMP.

So will 10 come with DVD/.TiVo (mpeg-2) playback? Do I have it because I upgraded from 7? What about people who upgrade to 10 from 8.1? Any idea?

justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #19
HerronScott

It was reported that Windows 10 would not have DVD-playback support initially but that it would come later.

Not sure if you have it due to upgrading from Windows 7 (which included the codecs) or if you have any additional DVD-playback software installed.

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #20
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
It was reported that Windows 10 would not have DVD-playback support initially but that it would come later.

Not sure if you have it due to upgrading from Windows 7 (which included the codecs) or if you have any additional DVD-playback software installed.
Thanks. I have a pretty clean installation (I installed W7Pro64 from disk, installed just a few vitals and immediately upgraded to W10), but I did install VLC, which will play DVDs. It won't play .TiVo files, unless I decrypt them first. With WMP in W10, I can just double-click a .TiVo file and it opens and plays. Likewise, if I associate .TiVo with WMP, I can just choose a file and play it from the desktop software.

I should probably ask about DVD playback and WMP in the W10 thread.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #21
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
With WMP in W10, I can just double-click a .TiVo file and it opens and plays. Likewise, if I associate .TiVo with WMP, I can just choose a file and play it from the desktop software.
That means that you either installed TiVo Desktop or the DirectShow driver which would allow WMP to play a .TiVo file.

Scott

Old 07-05-2015, 02:24 AM   #22
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
I'm running Windows 10 Pro Preview(10162), having upgraded from a 7 Pro system, clean install, and Windows Media Player (v12.0.10011.0) works fine to play .TiVo files I've pulled from a Tivo using Tivo Desktop Software (v2.8.2). I just needed to associate .TiVo with WMP.

So will 10 come with DVD/.TiVo (mpeg-2) playback? Do I have it because I upgraded from 7? What about people who upgrade to 10 from 8.1? Any idea?
Up through 7 the cost of Windows included a license to use whatever 3rd party software it is that gets used in playing .tivo files on the PC.

When 8 came out MS had quit paying whoever that 3rd party was (or whoever they were), so on a new PC with 8, like you'd bring home from the store, you'd have to pay for Desktop Plus to turn on either the same 3rd party software in Desktop or something else in there that did the same thing that in this case TiVo rather than MS would have to pay someone else licensing fees on.

That's when TiVo removed links to the free version of Desktop so they didn't have to spend many hours and many dollars explaining all that to someone who just bought a Compaq or Dell or whatever, but could just make paying for Plus the only option TiVo newbies would find right under their noses on the website.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:02 AM   #23
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Up through 7 the cost of Windows included a license to use whatever 3rd party software it is that gets used in playing .tivo files on the PC.
See, this is the odd part of it all -- it was only in 7 (and maybe Vista?) that those codecs were ever included in the first place. They weren't in XP, although you could add them by installing almost any DVD player software (as you can also do in 8+).

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:06 AM   #24
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
See, this is the odd part of it all -- it was only in 7 (and maybe Vista?) that those codecs were ever included in the first place. They weren't in XP, although you could add them by installing almost any DVD player software (as you can also do in 8+).
Actually the history is there because they were initially included in Windows XP Media Center edition, when Vista and 7 home versions shipped with WMC included the CODECs came with them.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:57 PM   #25
Technologist
Computer GURU

So, back to the original question. Do I need to PAY for Plus to transfer shows to AND from my TiVO, as well as transfer shows to AND from my PC? or will the free version work?

And I am 3 PCs past the last time I downloaded the free version... and I know TiVo doesn't provide it anymore... so where (reputable) can I download the latest version?

Technologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #26
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technologist View Post
So, back to the original question. Do I need to PAY for Plus to transfer shows to AND from my TiVO, as well as transfer shows to AND from my PC? or will the free version work?

And I am 3 PCs past the last time I downloaded the free version... and I know TiVo doesn't provide it anymore... so where (reputable) can I download the latest version?
No, the free version of TiVo Desktop transfers in both directions; you don't need Plus for this capability.

I don't know where to get the program from if it's not available somewhere on the TiVo website. If it helps, the MD5 sum of the 2.8 install is 71832c0fc2bce1e1c9193d0da77358ea.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-09-2015, 11:33 PM   #27
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
I don't know where to get the program from if it's not available somewhere on the TiVo website. If it helps, the MD5 sum of the 2.8 install is 71832c0fc2bce1e1c9193d0da77358ea.
What is that checksum for, exactly? Filename?

For the self-extracting Windows install executable I have md5 checksum for TiVoDesktop2.8.2.exe of
72819279acf61078c59d3b5385689e3b

Verified and used by me on XP x32, 7 x64, and 10 x64. Never personally tried 8/8.1/8.1Update.

It was downloaded directly from tivo.com a time ago and its just been sitting on my server.

This looks like a safe archive. I downloaded it and compared it to mine and the checksums match. Filesize is 26,348KB. Pretty small.
http://download.cnet.com/Tivo-Deskto...-10364915.html

There is a 2.8.3 floating around, but I never bothered upgrading. I have no idea what changes there are between 2.8.2 and 2.8.3.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #28
HerronScott

You can download 2.8.3 from TiVo using the following link.

http://assets.tivo.com/assets/exe/ti...sktop2.8.3.exe

Scott

Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #29
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
You can download 2.8.3 from TiVo using the following link.

http://assets.tivo.com/assets/exe/ti...sktop2.8.3.exe

Scott
I just downloaded that. It matches the 2.8.3 I downloaded on 2013/02/09, for which MD5deep calculates a checksum of c5a664adcff119e5ab0a31e56332fbb1 (in case you download from somewhere other than TiVo and are worried about tampering).

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-10-2015, 02:06 PM   #30
Technologist
Computer GURU

I downloaded from the link above and will give it a shot as time allows. Thanks for all your answers...

Technologist is offline   Reply With Quote