TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
Laserfan

WinMFS fixed two HD TiVos? and Battery

At the risk of looking a gift horse in the mouth, I've had both my TiVoS3 and TiVoHD fail in the last year with identical symptoms: can't get past "Powering Up". In both cases, I merely acquired a fresh HDD and used WinMFS' Mfscopy menu item to copy-over from the old HDDs. Not only did both TiVos come right up, they each kept all the shows and settings.

My question is: if there was something amiss on the HDD would not that problem have copied-over as well?

Also, in both cases I pulled the TiVo mobos' CR2032 batteries and replaced them since they were both borderline.

Was maybe updating the batteries all I really needed to do? I've had PCs fail with odd problems when their CMOS batteries got old.

The reason I ask, besides out of curiosity, is that I'm thinking the HDDs that came out of both TiVos are possibly fine and I might put them back into service elsewhere...

Philips HDR312 Standalone (v3.0) RETIRED-RIP
Laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
At the risk of looking a gift horse in the mouth, I've had both my TiVoS3 and TiVoHD fail in the last year with identical symptoms: can't get past "Powering Up". In both cases, I merely acquired a fresh HDD and used WinMFS' Mfscopy menu item to copy-over from the old HDDs. Not only did both TiVos come right up, they each kept all the shows and settings.

My question is: if there was something amiss on the HDD would not that problem have copied-over as well?

Also, in both cases I pulled the TiVo mobos' CR2032 batteries and replaced them since they were both borderline.

Was maybe updating the batteries all I really needed to do? I've had PCs fail with odd problems when their CMOS batteries got old.

The reason I ask, besides out of curiosity, is that I'm thinking the HDDs that came out of both TiVos are possibly fine and I might put them back into service elsewhere...

The original drives are probably Western Digital.

The Ultimate Boot CD has the WD diagnostic software on it and you should run the long test on the drives before trusting them.

Just remember to burn the UBCD .iso "as an image" so that it will be bootable.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Laserfan

Thanks even the long test using WD's Data Lifeguard Tools says both drives are fine. So I still wonder. Can you speculate unitron on why an Mfscopy fixed both drives? It must do something more than just a straight copy, or the copy would exhibit the same startup problem wouldn't it?

Drives have 20-40K hours on them so despite that the test OK I will not use them for any critical application...

Old 11-14-2015, 03:45 AM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post
Thanks even the long test using WD's Data Lifeguard Tools says both drives are fine. So I still wonder. Can you speculate unitron on why an Mfscopy fixed both drives? It must do something more than just a straight copy, or the copy would exhibit the same startup problem wouldn't it?

Drives have 20-40K hours on them so despite that the test OK I will not use them for any critical application...
Gremlins.

But seriously, I can't remember if spike ever said exactly how the mfscopy he coded for WinMFS works, but if it's something like

ddrescue

or

dd_rescue

then it may be that it makes multiple passes on hard to read sectors until it gets a "good" read.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Laserfan

Read errors, of course. I like that--would make perfect sense wouldn't it to use ddrescue instead of plain old dd.

[slaps forehead]

Good thinking unitron, I'll bet you're right. Thanks!