TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #2011
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Also ION HD is being added -- market-by-market (it's a local broadcast affiliate), but they're doing them all at pretty much the same time. No guide data for that yet, either, of course.
Cool. What channel? (I'm being lazy ).
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #2012
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Since it's market-by-market, it will vary. It's whatever your current Ion channel is (somewhere in the locals), if you have one, plus 500. Mine is 513.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #2013
richsadams

Quote:
Since it's market-by-market, it will vary. It's whatever your current Ion channel is (somewhere in the locals), if you have one, plus 500. Mine is 513.
Thanks for that...513 is a local channel (not ION) so I'll have to do a little research. No rest for the wicked.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #2014
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Thanks for the heads-up on FIOS 603 MSNBC HD. It looks great here. I did the same thing...added it to my channel lineup and then forced a connection. No info yet. The guide just says "To be announced". It'll be good to see things in HD on this channel...finally!
FIOS had all the NBC-esque stations for the Summer Olympics in Bejing - it was great. But don't get too attached to MSNBC since it will be gone in 2 weeks.

Also, still no guide data ...

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #2015
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

No, MSNBC-HD is here to stay, as I understand it. And they didn't have it for the last Olympics. (They had some special channels just for the Olympics instead, though.) I don't think it existed then.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #2016
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
No, MSNBC-HD is here to stay, as I understand it. And they didn't have it for the last Olympics. (They had some special channels just for the Olympics instead, though.) I don't think it existed then.
I stand corrected

MSNBC had an exclusive deal with Cablevision since forever, it seems. Apparently that deal is no more.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-84114482.html

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 02-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #2017
MPSAN

Quote:
Thanks for that...513 is a local channel (not ION) so I'll have to do a little research. No rest for the wicked.
Rich, it is 505 and still no guide data but you can select it!
Old 02-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #2018
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
Not around here - 505 is the local FOX affiliate in NYC.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 02-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #2019
richsadams

Quote:
Got it! I forced another connection and received guide data for 505 and 603. After connecting the loading took quite a while. Yesterday it got the info and loaded in less than a minute. Today it took about 40 minutes for the TiVo HD and about 30 minutes for the Series3. So it must have been indexing the new guide data. Plus there was a new channel added - 1768/RGTI which had nothing on and I've no idea what it is. By the guide data it looks like a Brazilian TV station. I Googled it and came up with nothing.

Anyway, the guide data for MSNBC and ION is current now.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #2020
MPSAN

Quote:
Got it! I forced another connection and received guide data for 505 and 603. After connecting the loading took quite a while. Yesterday it got the info and loaded in less than a minute. Today it took about 40 minutes for the TiVo HD and about 30 minutes for the Series3. So it must have been indexing the new guide data. Plus there was a new channel added - 1768/RGTI which had nothing on and I've no idea what it is. By the guide data it looks like a Brazilian TV station. I Googled it and came up with nothing.

Anyway, the guide data for MSNBC and ION is current now.
I keep getting extra stations as well. Not sure what any of them are! I can check 603. Perhaps my guide data updated but I have not had TV on today. Not sure if I care about ION.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #2021
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
Not around here - 505 is the local FOX affiliate in NYC.
Rich and I are in the same area.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #2022
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
I keep getting extra stations as well. Not sure what any of them are! I can check 603. Perhaps my guide data updated but I have not had TV on today. Not sure if I care about ION.
I had to go into Settings-Channels and check 603 to get it to show up ...

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 02-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #2023
richsadams

Quote:
Not sure if I care about ION.
I took a quick look at the guide and there were a lot of paid programming shows and some other odd things that weren't of great interest. I think I may uncheck it from my channel list. Although the Family Feud marathon was really tempting.

Quote:
Me too.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #2024
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Question I Must be in the Inverse Universe

Quote:
I had to go into Settings-Channels and UN-check it to STOP it from showing up!

Besides the fact that even having that channel on my TV gives me the willies, the weird thing to me is that you had to add the check mark yourself. Every time I get a message from TiVo that a channel lineup change has occurred, any added channels are automatically checked and I have to manually remove them. Are you guys saying that those new FiOS channels are NOT automatically checked for you after you get the lineup change message?
Goose
V7Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:52 AM   #2025
renepaul

I have DirecTv and Fios is coming with CableCards on Monday. My HDTivo is coming today. TiVo says I should run guided setup at least a day or two before tech comes. How do I run guided setup if I don't have Fios yet. Is the guided setup just for updates? Also does guided setup need to be run before the tech installs the Cablecard with Fios. Form experience guided setup takes a few hours. Does the tech have to wait for the guided setup then install card or vice versa?
renepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #2026
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

There is an option in guided setup for "getting cablecards later". You want to run it mainly to get the new software, but also to get correct channels for testing. You don't want the rep to wait for guided setup.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #2027
BigJimOutlaw

As you said, Guided Setup can take a while. That's why they tell you to run it in advance. After that, you should also force a couple of connections to get the latest software updates (about 2-3 times).

The 2nd or 3rd connection will have a distinctly longer download time. This will be an important software update that will help the Tivo work better with Fios. Once it's finished downloading, reboot the box to begin the software update.

Then you're (finally) all set for the tech to arrive.

This way, you and the tech won't have to wait around a long time to make sure the installation worked. You'll have the latest software and guide information ready to go when he gets there. It sounds like a lot of prep work, but it's worth it. It'll take about an hour or so, start to finish.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 03-02-2010 at 07:58 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #2028
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by renepaul View Post
I have DirecTv and Fios is coming with CableCards on Monday. My HDTivo is coming today. TiVo says I should run guided setup at least a day or two before tech comes. How do I run guided setup if I don't have Fios yet. Is the guided setup just for updates? Also does guided setup need to be run before the tech installs the Cablecard with Fios. Form experience guided setup takes a few hours. Does the tech have to wait for the guided setup then install card or vice versa?
In addition to the above advice, here's most everything you need to know:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...hp?t=419994#A1

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=363797

BTW, you will be very happy with FIOS...and occasionally amazed at the improvement in PQ over DTV. Welcome to the club and enjoy!
Old 03-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #2029
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
The 2nd or 3rd connection will have a distinctly longer download time.
There is actually only one update. The OP's TiVo will almost certainly have v9.4 and the update will go directly to v11.0d. Other house housekeeping activity will occur however.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #2030
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
There is actually only one update. The OP's TiVo will almost certainly have v9.4 and the update will go directly to v11.0d. Other house housekeeping activity will occur however.
Yes, there's only 1 software package with several cumulative updates. I didn't mean to suggest there were piecemeal updates. Only that the Tivo will need to connect a few times until it's recieved.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 03-02-2010 at 11:46 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #2031
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Yes, there's only 1 software package with several cumulative updates. I didn't mean to suggest there were piecemeal updates. Only that the Tivo will need to connect a few times until it's recieved.
Got it.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:30 AM   #2032
hoyty

Moving CableCards

I think I had read that FIOS doesn't pair the cablecards to a particular device, does anyone know if this is correct? I ask since I am curious if I get either a Series 4 or a Media Center tuner if I can just pull the card(s) from my Series 3 (org) and move them to another device?
hoyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #2033
bicker
Gruff

The FiOS tech who installed me said as much.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #2034
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post
I think I had read that FIOS doesn't pair the cablecards to a particular device, does anyone know if this is correct? I ask since I am curious if I get either a Series 4 or a Media Center tuner if I can just pull the card(s) from my Series 3 (org) and move them to another device?
That is correct...although I can't verify if it works between devices, only TiVo's. I don't see why switching between devices would be any different though.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:32 PM   #2035
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
That is correct...although I can't verify if it works between devices, only TiVo's. I don't see why switching between devices would be any different though.
It would be great if it worked between all TiVos. E.g. change hard drives or buy a TiVo premiere as a replacement --- move the CableCARD w/o needing a truck roll.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:35 AM   #2036
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
It would be great if it worked between all TiVos. E.g. change hard drives or buy a TiVo premiere as a replacement --- move the CableCARD w/o needing a truck roll.
With FIOS I'm pretty sure that's the case...but perhaps not? I can switch mine between my TiVo Series3 and TiVo HD. Seems like it shouldn't make a difference.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #2037
hsuthard

I'm hoping someone here logs on today!

I spent six and a half hours on the phone last night trying to get my Tivo working. I just received a refurbished Tivo Series 3 HD from Tivo last night as my prior refurb never quite worked right (it kept spontaneously rebooting). It arrived around 6pm on the UPS truck and by 6:30 I had it out of the box and upstairs. I took the cablecards from the Tivo that's going back and put them in the new TivoS3 and turned everything on, went through guided setup, etc.

I went ahead and called Verizon and asked them to reset the cablecards. They did, and mentioned that from now on I could use their new software, In-Home Agent, to do these cablecard things myself. Turns out that's not true, but for a short while I had some hope.

Anyway, I let him reset my two cards, hung up, and went back and restarted my Tivo. No luck, they're still not showing as activated or paired ( the VAL: field shows a ? instead of a YES and the Messages on the Network Status screen isn't populated or incrementing).

So, I called back and asked Verizon to again activate and pair my cards. This tech insisted they needed to send out an installer for that, but I eventually convinced her to do it for me over the phone. Hung up, rebooted, and still no luck.

Next, I call Tivo, hoping they can help me narrow down the problem and communicate more clearly/simply with Verizon. I'm still hoping to avoid having someone come out. The tech walks me through several of the screens and decides they 100% are not working cablecards, unless of course the Host ID numbers don't match. He instructs me to call verizon and make sure the Host ID and Data numbers match exactly and if they do then to order two new cablecards.

I call Verizon for the third time and have them eventually check the Host ID numbers. It takes a good 30 minutes of arguing and waiting to even get to this point. Why? Why can't they just listen to my polite, reasonable request? Why do they have to try other things first? I've told them this is my third call of the night! Anyway, they do finally check and the Host ID number DO NOT match. On either card. So, we set about correcting the Host Id and Data numbers for both cards.

Once this is done, though, nothing is changing on my Tivo. After a little more digging (where?), the Verizon Tech determines these cards have been disabled. He enables them, and then has to de-activate and re-activate them. During this process (which has taken well over two hours by now), at some point a return order comes through on my account. He has no idea where this has come from and neither do I (I've been on the phone for the past four hours, I couldn't have done it!). One of the cablecards has been removed from my account, nonetheless, and since he's only tech support he doesn't have access to cancel the return order. I have to hang up, call another number, cancel the return order, and then call back and finish the card activation. Grrrr.

So I do. I call and try to cancel the order, but even though I have the order #, no one can seem to find it in the system. They insist it doesn't exist and the order # I have isn't valid. So, I call back Tech Support. Of course, the guy I'd been working with for three hours doesn't answer, so I have to spend the first 30 minutes going over my situation again from the beginning. I insist that he read the carefully worded case notes on my trouble ticket, but he's not interested. (Again, WHY???)

Eventually he agrees to activate my cards. This process seems to take over 45 minutes each time they try, is it really that lengthy of an ordeal? At any rate, he's happy that he's activated the cards and instructs me to reboot. At this point, it's 12:45 am and I'm exhausted. I tell him I'll reboot and go to bed and call back in the morning. I have absolutely no faith that any of this has worked. I'm about to go try it again now and see if anything has changed overnight. I did force a couple of connections as well in hopes that updated software might help the connection process.

Any advice or consolations for me? Please tell me there have been worse installs. I was thankful that at least this time there weren't four Verizon guys in my house watching the thing. And I did have one Verizon guy stay until after 10pm one night trying to get it resolved so he could list it on his day's ticket as completed.

If I hadn't had so many good experiences with Tivo over the past 15 years or so, I would surely have given up by now.
hsuthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #2038
hsuthard

OK, the reboot didn't help. I called Tivo and they determined the cablecards are both bad. I'll just mention that I went through all this believing the cablecards were good since they had worked before in the old Tivo Series 3 being returned. I'm now on hold with Verizon waiting to order new cablecards.
hsuthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #2039
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuthard View Post
OK, the reboot didn't help. I called Tivo and they determined the cablecards are both bad. I'll just mention that I went through all this believing the cablecards were good since they had worked before in the old Tivo Series 3 being returned. I'm now on hold with Verizon waiting to order new cablecards.
Your first mistake was calling Verizon at all. If your CableCARDS work in one unit, they'll work in any unit.

Rebooting should never be necessary, BTW.

I would recommend calling the Fiber Solutions Center directly at (888) 553-1555 if you haven't been speaking to them already. These are the guys that the installation techs call to get the cards activated when they roll a truck. Make sure you note the Serial numbers of the cards and relate them correctly to the slot/host ID.

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential...sOne/85220.htm

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 03-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #2040
markgrogers

If you read back in this forum, you will see that bad cablecards is a fairly common complaint- so it it not terribly unusual that you got some bad cards. It is just unfortunate that you, me and others have to jump through hours of hoops before anyone can conclude that the cards are bad. I went through similar problems about 2 years ago here in Pennsylvania. Some of the Verizon people who came to my house had never even seen a TiVo before- and they did not want to follow TiVo's cablecard instructions. (They thought my Slingbox was something out of the Jetsons).

It is also not unusual the the Verizon people don't know or care much about TiVo- they would prefer and make more money if you pay for their DVR, so they get very little training and pay little attention to issues surrounding cable cards. It almost makes you wonder if they deliberately try to frustrate folks with cablecard issues- hoping that you'll give-up and just use their crappy DVR (I had one for awhile for free on my 2nd TV- and trust me, it is crappy, slow and hard to use compared to TiVo).

Its unfortunate, but I think you just have to picture yourself as swimming upstream on getting your set-up working. It may be the 4th of never before Verizon ever really concentrates on making TiVo/Cablecard set-up a priority.

AND Yes, as Rocko says, by all means call Fiber Solutions- they were the only ones who really got things working for me.

Last edited by markgrogers : 03-19-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: additional information
markgrogers is offline   Reply With Quote