TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #1981
joe1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
FoodHD (664) and HGTVHD (665) are both fine in Bergen County (NJ).
They just started working again this afternoon.

Joe
joe1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #1982
jimtedjeske

Unbelievable!! I just had the same problem of losing all channels above 50 here in the Pittsburgh area. I have already had a few calls with Verizon so I am already at a high degree of frustration on this but when I read the thread I thought I could get Verizon in Pittsburgh to talk to Verizon in New York to identify the problem and the solution. Apparently, they don't or won't talk to each other, they don't have the number for NY and there is no way to communicate. It almost makes me nostalgic for Comcast.
jimtedjeske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #1983
dcollens

Moved to FIOS

Well I did make the plunge over the holidays. Installation went extremely well. There were a couple of problems, but most were resolved quite quickly.

Everything is up and working well with the exception of the published speeds. I need to check things out and see if there are any tweaks that I need to do, although the tech said that with Window 7 there should be no need.

The one problem that I did encounter was adding my wife as a sub account. Her last name has the letters "NOC" in it and VZ is telling me that there is no way to get around the rule that that is not allowed in any of their account/email names. This is the first provider that I have encountered with such arcane naming rules. Not like her name is a swear word.

Otherwise quite happy with the service to date.

dc
dcollens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #1984
doopstr

Hi, is Verizon 100% M cards on new cablecard installations or do I need to request that? I'm in central NJ.
doopstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #1985
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It should be all M cards now, yes. If you try to specifically request them, you'll probably only end up confusing the CSR. They have a hard enough time with the word "CableCard".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #1986
MookieDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopstr View Post
Hi, is Verizon 100% M cards on new cablecard installations or do I need to request that? I'm in central NJ.
I had one installed last month, the tech said they had both S and M cards, asked which I wanted. I'm assuming they have either old inventory of S cards, or are keeping the ones that folks are switching out.
MookieDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #1987
doopstr

Well that was fast. I put the order in yesterday, tech showed up this AM with an M card. It worked on the first shot, imagine that.

I do agree with the suggestion to not confuse a CSR and keep them on script.
doopstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #1988
hrr57

Scotland,

I just received a Tivo S3 as a Xmas gift, I called FIOS Tech Service and the lady told me that the cable cards will not work with FIOS...after reading this thread I figured the FIOS people don't know what I'm talking about. Do you mind sharing how you were able to get the M cards and the installation. Reason I'm asking is that I live Ashburn, VA, and more than likely will be dealing with the same Verizon people.
hrr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #1989
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrr57 View Post
Scotland,

I just received a Tivo S3 as a Xmas gift, I called FIOS Tech Service and the lady told me that the cable cards will not work with FIOS...after reading this thread I figured the FIOS people don't know what I'm talking about. Do you mind sharing how you were able to get the M cards and the installation. Reason I'm asking is that I live Ashburn, VA, and more than likely will be dealing with the same Verizon people.
Obviously, I'm not Scotland, but ...

Verizon doesn't know so take anything they say with a grain of salt. If you have the original S3 (the one with the CableCARD slots in the back) you need 2 cards, regardless of S or M. So order 2 cards. End of discussion.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #1990
wesbc

Hi,

I'm looking to possibly order verizon fios as a new customer. On the website ordering system, I only see the following options.

Standard Def Set Top Box
Digital Adapter
High Def Home Media DVR
High Def DVR
High Def Set top box.

Since they are offering their Media DVR for free 3month, thought I might try that, but at the sametime would like to order the cablecard for my soon to be order Tivo HD. So my question is what option do I select. Digital Adapter? From what I read that is just a set top box with no function. Trying to elimate extra charge and the possiblity of them screwing up my bills.

Thanks
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #1991
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc View Post
Since they are offering their Media DVR for free 3month, thought I might try that, but at the sametime would like to order the cablecard for my soon to be order Tivo HD. So my question is what option do I select. Digital Adapter?
The digital adapter is not a CableCard. It's a set-top box for SDTVs without a guide or VOD.

You have to call to order a CableCard.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #1992
bicker
Gruff

It doesn't matter what you select -- what you want isn't listed, so no matter what you're going to have to call in, after you submit your order, and change your order to reflect what you actually want.

That's what I did. It worked out for me. I don't remember what I actually selected -- probably the DTA -- but whatever it was, I just called in afterward and fixed it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:33 PM   #1993
Cor

If you need to see a Cable Card front and back look on my webpage.
http://www.cjansen.net/Cor/Tivo/Tivo1.htm
The MAC and Serial are altered to avoid problems for myself.
Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #1994
wesbc

Thanks for the quick replies. Just trying to see if I can avoid a call, but looks like not.
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #1995
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
It doesn't matter what you select -- what you want isn't listed, so no matter what you're going to have to call in, after you submit your order, and change your order to reflect what you actually want.
About 1 or 2 years ago, in the bowels of hell that is the Verizon web site, I did find a way to order CableCARDs on the web in conjunction with an initial order. But I didn't at the time, and don't know if I could find the form again. IIRC you had to go through multiple pages of pretending to order service when you came to a screen that gave you that option. But maybe they removed it.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #1996
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
About 1 or 2 years ago, in the bowels of hell that is the Verizon web site, I did find a way to order CableCARDs on the web in conjunction with an initial order. But I didn't at the time, and don't know if I could find the form again. IIRC you had to go through multiple pages of pretending to order service when you came to a screen that gave you that option.
I think once you get deep inside the cave, you have to type "xyzzy".
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #1997
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
I think once you get deep inside the cave, you have to type "xyzzy".
Nothing happened.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #1998
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
Nothing happened.

NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #1999
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
About 1 or 2 years ago, in the bowels of hell that is the Verizon web site, I did find a way to order CableCARDs on the web in conjunction with an initial order. But I didn't at the time, and don't know if I could find the form again. IIRC you had to go through multiple pages of pretending to order service when you came to a screen that gave you that option. But maybe they removed it.
I had sent a message to the rep on twitter and he said they are working on a self install option.

Quote:
we are working on a self install process - order, ship, install, provision - all need to be supported electronically

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #2000
metamorphasis
metamorphasis

Hi..... I am new to all of this and am in the process of ordering Fios and looking into which is the best way to utilize a Tivo. I have had a free DVR from Direct TV and don't get the concept of renting one from VERIZON for 16.99 monthly! I don't need a DVR on my second tv downstairs, do I have to rent their {Fios} set top box or is there another option? I am assuming I cant use the Direct TV DVR equipment with Fios? What cable cards would I have to order to make this transition work? I appreciate everybody's help!
metamorphasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:27 AM   #2001
bicker
Gruff

DirecTV equipment indeed will not work with FiOS. FiOS does charge for every piece of equipment you rent from them here, and you cannot receive any of their services without either a set-top box rented from them, a DVR rented from them, or a CableCARD rented from them -- except for the local over-the-air broadcast channels, which I've read can be tuned in using a clear QAM tuner (but, of course, without any program guide data in your TiVo S3/HD).

So, for your first television, where you want a DVR, the TiVo HD is a great option. You'll just need to rent a CableCARD from FiOS to make it work well.

For your second television, where you don't want a DVR, you have very few choices: Here, FiOS offers a digital adapter (essentially a set-top box without a program guide) for a little less than they charge to rent a set-top box.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #2002
andrewket

I've lost all of my HBO channels (400-) on all three of my Tivos (M-cards). Channel 899 (HDHBO) still works.

Based on this thread it looked like the missing channel issues had been fixed, but apparently that is not the case. A reboot/rescan didn't fix the issue.

Anyone else in Metro DC (northern VA) that can check to see if they are seeing the same thing?

Andrew
andrewket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:14 AM   #2003
JWThiers
Smartypants

is it fios?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:14 AM   #2004
bkdtv

Do you receive all of the HBO channels in the 800-900 range?
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #2005
rage777

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphasis View Post
Hi..... I am new to all of this and am in the process of ordering Fios and looking into which is the best way to utilize a Tivo. I have had a free DVR from Direct TV and don't get the concept of renting one from VERIZON for 16.99 monthly! I don't need a DVR on my second tv downstairs, do I have to rent their {Fios} set top box or is there another option? I am assuming I cant use the Direct TV DVR equipment with Fios? What cable cards would I have to order to make this transition work? I appreciate everybody's help!
Are you saying you want to get a Tivo or do you already have a Tivo? If you don't need HD, then the SD STB is a lot cheaper then the HD STB. If you don't need HD, then I would suggest the digital adapter that is about $6 a month. If you get an HD Tivo, then you can get a single M card that is also $5 or $6 a month. If you like to order pay per view or on demand stuff, then I think you need a STB. If you have a series 2 Tivo already, then you can use a digital adapter with the Tivo.
rage777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #2006
dbenrosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rage777 View Post
Are you saying you want to get a Tivo or do you already have a Tivo? If you don't need HD, then the SD STB is a lot cheaper then the HD STB. If you don't need HD, then I would suggest the digital adapter that is about $6 a month. If you get an HD Tivo, then you can get a single M card that is also $5 or $6 a month. If you like to order pay per view or on demand stuff, then I think you need a STB. If you have a series 2 Tivo already, then you can use a digital adapter with the Tivo.
In my neck of the woods (Northern NJ), the digital adapter is $3.99/month. I use it with my Series 1 TiVo since I don't need any of the bells and whistles of a full STB. The STBs (HD or SD) are $5.99/month. Upgrading the HD STB to an HD DVR adds an additional $9 or $10/month (total is $15.99-$16.99/month).

Unless you want to use VoD with the STB, if you are using an older TiVo (Series 1 or 2) to control a decoding box, the digital adapter is all you need.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #2007
andrewket

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWThiers View Post
is it fios?
Yeah, sorry, FIOS. Now they are coming up but they are very pixelated. 899 (HD HBO) is fine.

A
andrewket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #2008
Rosenkavalier
Call 1-600-DOCTORB!

MSNBC HD is being added nationally to FIOS TV, and (I think) should be in all markets as I type this (Thursday afternoon, Feb. 11). It is on Channel 603 - details are here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r237...HD-coming-soon.

I was able to see the channel by going directly to 603 with the remote, and when I went to the Channel List I could select 603/MSNBCHD as a 'Channel I Receive'. I then forced a service call/download, but after the download/processing there was still no guide data from TiVo showing up. So right now I can watch live or schedule a manual recording by date/time without any program data to back it up.

This being added to complete the all-HD NBC suite of channels for the Olympics.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #2009
richsadams

Thanks for the heads-up on FIOS 603 MSNBC HD. It looks great here. I did the same thing...added it to my channel lineup and then forced a connection. No info yet. The guide just says "To be announced". It'll be good to see things in HD on this channel...finally!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #2010
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Also ION HD is being added -- market-by-market (it's a local broadcast affiliate), but they're doing them all at pretty much the same time. No guide data for that yet, either, of course.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote