Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #1951
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
The TiVo S3, specifically, treats all CableCARDs as single-stream, even if they're M-Cards.
Thanks! He called someone to see if they can bring another MCard... crossing fingers
Old 12-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #1952
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

NM - found the answer.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #1953
mjryder

Light at the end of the tunnel?

Tech just called and said they're successfully authorizing the CableCARDs. Wants me to check periodically throughout the next hour or so.
mjryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #1954
tstrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjryder View Post
Tech just called and said they're successfully authorizing the CableCARDs. Wants me to check periodically throughout the next hour or so.
I'm in OP and have 4 Tivos down since Friday night. Same story - tech came out to the house, replaced all 4 MCards, spent 4+ hours here...all to no avail. I've called a couple of times today and they told me a tech is going to the CO with a TV that takes Cablecards tomorrow at 1PM. So I hope your information is more correct than mine!!!!!!
tstrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #1955
SereneRoc

Quote:
That's great! I just had Verizon install my CableCards on Saturday, spent eight hours trying to help the Verizon tech figure out why so many channels were missing and ended up getting frustrated with Fios. This morning they did tell me that they hoped to get everything sorted out today. It would be great if you could let us know if/when you get full service back!
SereneRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #1956
rf75
DNRC Member

Angry what's the rush?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrade View Post
I'm in OP and have 4 Tivos down since Friday night. Same story - tech came out to the house, replaced all 4 MCards, spent 4+ hours here...all to no avail. I've called a couple of times today and they told me a tech is going to the CO with a TV that takes Cablecards tomorrow at 1PM. So I hope your information is more correct than mine!!!!!!
Tomorrow?!? Let's see that puts us down Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and maybe Monday, aka the better part of a week. Now if was a cynic I'd say they are treating Cablecard customers as 2nd class citizens. If all the FiOSTV DVRs were down would the same care-less attitude prevail? Hmm. Thank grid I have ReplayTVs still hooked to STBs ...
rf75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:23 PM   #1957
mjryder

Still waiting

No change yet... Will post as soon as something changes.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #1958
mjryder

Quote:
Me too!
Old 12-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #1959
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

So between me not getting enough sleep last night, and the FiOS guy leaving for another appt - no joy. CCs are not working. Any ideas? Is there a FiOS number I can call that specializes in troubleshooting?

Found it:
http://www22.verizon.com/Residential...sOne/98796.htm
Calling now
Old 12-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #1960
tstrade

I heard from a very nice level 2 guy that called me and he said that he and another guy are raising he|| to get visibility to this thing. He told me it was absolutely an issue on their end. Specifically, an IP issue. The cards are not sending back a message an ack of some sort so the content never gets permission to be sent. This may be why we see black screens and it looks to the Tivo as though it is tuning to a valid station. If the cards weren't activated, we wouldn't even see local channels (clear QAM) and would be more likely to see the Tivo warnings to "contact your cable company" to subscribe to the channel you are trying to tune to.

So we wait. Verizon sure seems to hate Tivo customers. At least the level 2 guy was very nice and appreciative of what we are going through. He seemed like a knowledgeable and nice guy so I have high hopes that he'll get the visibility he needs to get things fixed by tomorrow. He even knew the current Tivo firmware version...which told he that he actually had a clue what he was talking about.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #1961
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

So is this a Verizon Service area-wide issue or just the NE?
Old 12-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #1962
tstrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER View Post
So is this a Verizon Service area-wide issue or just the NE?
Sounds like it is just in WNY at the moment.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #1963
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

Just got off the phone w/ Fiber Solutions @ 800-426-9504 (transferred from the dept @ the link above).
He checked the CCs and had me reboot, did a 'test channels' and I was able to see regular, premium and HD channels.
I'm currently doing the antenna scan.

All is good.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #1964
SC0TLANDF0REVER
TiVo >*

Quote:
Sounds like it is just in WNY at the moment.
It's be great if they could do a 'roll back' to the previous version of firmware for those affected.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #1965
tstrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC0TLANDF0REVER View Post
Just got off the phone w/ Fiber Solutions @ 800-426-9504 (transferred from the dept @ the link above).
He checked the CCs and had me reboot, did a 'test channels' and I was able to see regular, premium and HD channels.
I'm currently doing the antenna scan.

All is good.
So much for just WNY - you're in VA? I wonder if your issue was different than ours? Sounds encouraging though....maybe I'll call the FSC again.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #1966
triger716

Quote:
So much for just WNY - you're in VA? I wonder if your issue was different than ours? Sounds encouraging though....maybe I'll call the FSC again.
Sounds like SC0TLANDF0REVER's issue was more likely he had a tech that didn't know what how to properly set up the Cablecard. How many of us heard "Boy I've never done a Tivo before" when the tech first walked through the door for the install.

I'm not sure what it means (or if it's true) but someone named "bufftek" posted the following over at DSLreports
Quote:
the problem in buffalo is they are trying to run 2 condition access systems there. SA and motorola and its not working properly.

triger716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:37 PM   #1967
tstrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by triger716 View Post
I'm not sure what it means (or if it's true) but someone named "bufftek" posted the following over at DSLreports
That is consistent with what I heard too. WNY will be one of the test areas for new Cisco/SA equipment and it sounds like Verizon could use a refresher course in change management. How in the world the SA gear could ever be exposed to live/production customers without some semblance of testing and warnings to customer support about possible calls is beyond me.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #1968
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
I'm sure his/her issue was not related. It sounds like that was a new install. I know that my tech had to call in to pair the cards even after doing the laptop activation thing.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #1969
SereneRoc

WNY updates?

So, any updates on the channel outages in WNY? I called today to see what's up and was emphatically told that it's just my CableCards at issue. They're sending a guy out with "lots of CableCards" on Thursday. Guess I'm in for another long session with Verizon. I'm already fed up and I haven't even been a Fios customer for a week!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #1970
mjryder

My service is still out.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #1971
tstrade

Quote:
My service is still out.
Same here. Heard from Tier 2 guy today and he was on a conf-call with Motorola trying to sort things out. But no news after that and I'm still out of commission as well.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #1972
tstrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneRoc View Post
So, any updates on the channel outages in WNY? I called today to see what's up and was emphatically told that it's just my CableCards at issue. They're sending a guy out with "lots of CableCards" on Thursday. Guess I'm in for another long session with Verizon. I'm already fed up and I haven't even been a Fios customer for a week!
Rolling a truck with more CableCARDs is costly and a waste of their time and yours. Tier 2 knows full well what happened and they are trying to figure out why they can no longer get return IP messages from the CableCARDs since someone made changes to accommodate this SA stuff mentioned above. So this is not really a CableCARD issue per se but rather a conditional access system issue (as mentioned above) that needs to be resolved by the network guys. A field tech will just end up being as frustrated as the first field tech they dispatched.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #1973
SereneRoc

SO, I just got off the phone with Verizon. After spending about three hours answering the tech's phone calls and switching back and forth between channels, I temporarily got service to my missing channels. I helped isolate the problem (his words, not mine) and they should be fixing everyone's cards/the network this evening. He told me that I should have service restored sometime tomorrow morning. Hope this helps!
Old 12-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #1974
tstrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneRoc View Post
SO, I just got off the phone with Verizon. After spending about three hours answering the tech's phone calls and switching back and forth between channels, I temporarily got service to my missing channels. I helped isolate the problem (his words, not mine) and they should be fixing everyone's cards/the network this evening. He told me that I should have service restored sometime tomorrow morning. Hope this helps!
Yup, they are undoing what they did last Friday and they are pretty confident that it will restore our service. The channels you were able to receive earlier today was likely a few channels they put in the clear temporarily (to select CableCARDs) to see if Motorola encryption was in fact the issue. It was.

I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed with the Verizon Tier 2 guys - class acts and definitely some very good engineers there. We'll see if they can bring us back to life in the wee hours of the night tonight.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #1975
tstrade

We're back on-line! Just going through all of my channels in my programming package on a couple of my Tivos, but so far, it does seem that we're back in business in WNY.

Whew...just in time for a likely snow day tomorrow for the kids.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:40 AM   #1976
richsadams

Quote:
We're back on-line! Just going through all of my channels in my programming package on a couple of my Tivos, but so far, it does seem that we're back in business in WNY.
Excellent news! Thanks very much for your patience and keeping us posted. Hopefully VZ learned whatever lesson(s) that came out of this experience so that they won't replicate the issue elsewhere. Enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #1977
mjryder

All fixed! Man, did I miss my TiVO...
Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #1978
MookieDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
The Verizon CSR was probably told that during their training course 18-24 months ago. That information is out of date.

You only need to order one CableCard. You'll get a M-CARD.

The installer should call you 30-40 minutes prior to their arrival and ask you about the equipment. Tell them you have a TivoHD that requires one M-CARD.
So FIOS showed up last Friday to install a cable card in my new Tivo HD XL unit. The tech showed up, said, "what kind of card do you need?" I said, "I need 1-M card." He said, "Okay. I wasn't sure, so I brought both kinds." So apparently, up here in MA, they still have both M and S-cards. (I'm assuming they have leftover S-cards from years gone by, but still bring them just in case. Not a bad idea.)

When the tech saw the Tivo, he goes, "I've never done a cable card install on a Tivo before." I said, "It's easy...when we did the one upstairs in March it only took 20 minutes or so." He then handed me the card and said, "Okay, sounds like you know what you're doing." So I installed the card myself, he called Fios, gave the card and Host ID #'s, 5 minutes later I was up and running. If we weren't talking about the Patriots for so long, he would have been gone in less than 10 minutes.

I still have no clue why Verizon won't simply hand out the cards instead of wasting Tech's times to do truck rolls when the process seems quite straight-forward and simple. I haven't rec'd an updated bill yet, so no idea if they truly will charge me the $79 truck roll or not. Crossed fingers they won't.
MookieDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #1979
joe1515

Is any one else not receiving any signal for HGTV and the food Network? I have been having this issue since yesterday. Everything else is working fine.

I have fios in New York, Long Island.

Joe
joe1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #1980
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1515 View Post
Is any one else not receiving any signal for HGTV and the food Network? I have been having this issue since yesterday. Everything else is working fine.

I have fios in New York, Long Island.

Joe
FoodHD (664) and HGTVHD (665) are both fine in Bergen County (NJ).

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote