TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 AM   #1801
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rija17876 View Post
Thanks Rich for the picture definition and the other relevant threads on this site. Can I ask for a clarification on the comment: "I think our first one is free and the other two are $3.49 ea./month." Which one is free and which two are $3.49? Or are you saying the first card, regardless of "S" or "M" is free and the second one is $3.40. I'm inclined to buy the series 3, but would like to pay monthly 1 x $3.49 instead of 2 x $3.49.
Refer to the above pictures (hint: picture is above title).

Verizon FiOS charges $3.99 for each CableCard, regardless of type. One CableCard (M-CARD) supports both tuners in the TivoHD and TivoHD XL, whereas the discontinued Tivo Series3 model always requires two CableCards to support both tuners.

There is no longer any charge for the CableCard installation.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:06 AM   #1802
richsadams

Quote:
Can I ask for a clarification on the comment: "I think our first one is free and the other two are $3.49 ea./month." Which one is free and which two are $3.49? Or are you saying the first card, regardless of "S" or "M" is free and the second one is $3.40. I'm inclined to buy the series 3, but would like to pay monthly 1 x $3.49 instead of 2 x $3.49. Also, it appears on this site the installation is a crap shoot regarding service charges. Some have been dinged hard while others thought they were going to pay but end up getting a free service call.

Thanks again.
As bkdtv points out above, you'd need two cable cards for the original Series3 ("M" or "S") but only one "M" card for a TiVo HD. I checked my bill and also as mentioned, each card we have is $3.99/mo. (I think the "first free card" was a Comcast deal we used to have.)

Also as mentioned VZ no longer charges for initial installations.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:55 AM   #1803
dforemsky

Anybody try to get them to come back out and replace the single stream cards with a multi stream? Would that be a free trip, as well?

(I've been think about doing this to save the 8 bucks a month, but everything cablecard related is working now and I don't want to take the chance in messing it up!)
dforemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #1804
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dforemsky View Post
Anybody try to get them to come back out and replace the single stream cards with a multi stream? Would that be a free trip, as well?

(I've been think about doing this to save the 8 bucks a month, but everything cablecard related is working now and I don't want to take the chance in messing it up!)
+1

Since I replaced my S3 with a THD, I can save 8 bucks/mo. as well. I have 2 S cards in my original THD I'd like to swap out ...

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #1805
bkdtv

Quote:

You probably won't have much success if you ask FiOS to replace existing CableCards. But you can ask for an installation of new CableCards (where you'll get M-CARDs), and then when they get there, ask them to take your old cards with them.

In my case, I ordered new CableCards (got M-CARDs), and then after they were installed, I called to return the S-CARDs. In most areas, they'll send you a prepaid envelope to return the cards.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #1806
andrews777

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
You probably won't have much success if you ask FiOS to replace existing CableCards. But you can ask for an installation of new CableCards (where you'll get M-CARDs), and then when they get there, ask them to take your old cards with them.

In my case, I ordered new CableCards (got M-CARDs), and then after they were installed, I called to return the S-CARDs. In most areas, they'll send you a prepaid envelope to return the cards.

How do you know they are going to bring M-cards? I would do this in a flash, since it would safe me $12/month (3 TivoHDs), but I don't want to ask them to come out to only get the same cards I have.

Brad
andrews777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #1807
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews777 View Post
How do you know they are going to bring M-cards? I would do this in a flash, since it would safe me $12/month (3 TivoHDs), but I don't want to ask them to come out to only get the same cards I have.
S-CARDs were discontinued 18 months ago and Verizon hasn't carried them in any market since late spring / early summer.

Verizon installers don't have S-CARDs unless they were just removed from another customer's home in the past day or two. When the installer calls 30-60 minutes prior to their arrival, tell them you want M-CARDs so they can pick them up from the office if necessary.

My installer in N. VA said he hadn't seen a S-CARD in almost ten months. All they have at the VA/MD office is boxes and boxes of M-CARDs.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #1808
oViTynoT
Obvious Forum Lurker

So that means S3 users are Out of Luck to get new cards if one fails?
oViTynoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #1809
randyb359

Quote:

I called an had Verizon come out to replace my s cards with an m card and they came at no charge
randyb359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #1810
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by oViTynoT View Post
So that means S3 users are Out of Luck to get new cards if one fails?
Not at all. Series3's can use either "S" or "M" cable cards...they just require two (one for each tuner) as opposed to TiVo HD's/HDXL's which have the ability to utilize one "M" card. I haven't heard of anyone doing so, but AFAIK you could use one "S" and one "M" card in a TiVo Series3.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:27 PM   #1811
rija17876

Anyone with an extra S-Card they want to send me?

If S-cards are no longer circulating, but they still work, does anyone have a spare so all I need is one M-card for my S3?
rija17876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #1812
bkdtv

Quote:
If S-cards are no longer circulating, but they still work, does anyone have a spare so all I need is one M-card for my S3?
You need a CableCard from Verizon. Verizon won't activate a CableCard unless they provide it.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #1813
reg036

Alright got a quick (and maybe repetitive) question, Fios only has M-cards now, the reason for my question is that I just got a S3 and I would like to swap out my two S-cards out of my HD box, put them in the S3 and just order a new M-card to go into the HD box. I called fiber solutions and they were taken back a bit about whether they had M-cards available and after 20 minutes came back with yes they do but the system only addresses 1 stream on them (I know sounds hokey to me too). TIA
reg036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #1814
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg036 View Post
Alright got a quick (and maybe repetitive) question, Fios only has M-cards now, the reason for my question is that I just got a S3 and I would like to swap out my two S-cards out of my HD box, put them in the S3 and just order a new M-card to go into the HD box. I called fiber solutions and they were taken back a bit about whether they had M-cards available and after 20 minutes came back with yes they do but the system only addresses 1 stream on them (I know sounds hokey to me too). TIA
The original S3 until will only address one stream. The Tivo HD and HD XL will access 2 streams and only requires one M card.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #1815
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg036 View Post
Quick answer = your plan is fine. Transfer the 2 'S' cards to the S3 and order up a 'M' card for the THD. Accountwise, you won't even have to do anything special to move the 2 'S' cards from one box to another. I just replaced a broken S3 with a THD and simply popped the old cards into the new box - no calls to Verizon - period.

In your case you'll need to pair the new card but the old cards are a no-brainer.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 11-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #1816
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
Quick answer = your plan is fine. Transfer the 2 'S' cards to the S3 and order up a 'M' card for the THD. Accountwise, you won't even have to do anything special to move the 2 'S' cards from one box to another.
Verizon fortunatly doesn't bother to pair the card with a specific box, so you're free to move them between boxes without calling them. Other providers aren't quite so permissive.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:45 PM   #1817
Floridaman

I have the Tivo HD XL model dvr. I am using it with Fios and it has the current software 11.0D My signal strength is 100% on all channels and I subscribe to every channel. The SNR reading is 37 on all of the channels. I haven't had any issues with pixellation but just in the past few days have noticed audio drop outs. The sound will cut out for a second then it is fine for a few minutes and then does the same thing again. Tivo is telling me that the signal is way too strong and needs to be adjusted with an attenuator. They also believe this will take care of the audio issue. I thought the 11.0D software addressed these issues. Is the audio cutting out a problem related to SNR or is there a problem with the Tivo unit itself? Should I get an attenuator and if so what db rating should I get?

Thanks
Floridaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #1818
jap3

Advantages of M Card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
As bkdtv points out above, you'd need two cable cards for the original Series3 ("M" or "S") but only one "M" card for a TiVo HD. I checked my bill and also as mentioned, each card we have is $3.99/mo. (I think the "first free card" was a Comcast deal we used to have.)

Also as mentioned VZ no longer charges for initial installations.

I have an original Series 3. I understand that whether I have an S card or M card I still need two. But will the M cards give me the ability for On Demand? Are there any other advantages of an M card over S card on an original Series 3?

Thanks for your insight.
jap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #1819
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jap3 View Post
I have an original Series 3. I understand that whether I have an S card or M card I still need two. But will the M cards give me the ability for On Demand? Are there any other advantages of an M card over S card on an original Series 3?

Thanks for your insight.
No, the M card will not give you access to On Demand. The S3 cannot access Verizon's On Demand in any way. On an original S3 there is no advantage of an M over an S card.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #1820
richsadams

Quote:

Thanks for your insight.
As Sean said, no VOD w/TiVo and FIOS. With access to a number of Internet options plus Amazon VOD, Netflix and now Blockbuster we don't miss VOD at all. You can still get pay-per-view events by scheduling them w/Verizon and setting a manual recording on TiVo.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #1821
jap3

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
You can still get pay-per-view events by scheduling them w/Verizon and setting a manual recording on TiVo.
I was not aware of this. Thank you for the reply. I'll have to look into that.
jap3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #1822
richsadams

Quote:
I was not aware of this. Thank you for the reply. I'll have to look into that.
No problem. It's certainly not as easy as doing it on a DVR, but it works. We get a periodic e-mail from Verizon with all of the PPV events and when you call they'll open that channel up. Sometimes things air all day, other times, say a concert or whatever, they start/stop at a particular time. But if you tune to the channel and then set an appropriate manual recording it works fine. Most of the time, unless I absolutely have to watch something live, I wait until it's available elsewhere and record it or download it then.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #1823
necrotaur

Quick update on FIOS in Philly

Its been a while since I have posted, but wanted to update about FIOS in Philly. I had purchased a 3rd TiVo HD and ordered cablecards. This time the tech came with M-Cards, and replaced the 4 S-Cards in my other TiVo HD's upon request. The tech was a super nice guy and it went smoothly. Now my cable card rentals for 3 HD boxes are cheaper than with two previously!

On a side note, I had no charge for a truck roll. I haven't for the 3 cable card installs I ordered over the last 2 years. I wonder if I am a lucky one, or more people don't get charged than do.

--Steve
necrotaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #1824
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrotaur View Post
Its been a while since I have posted, but wanted to update about FIOS in Philly. I had purchased a 3rd TiVo HD and ordered cablecards. This time the tech came with M-Cards, and replaced the 4 S-Cards in my other TiVo HD's upon request. The tech was a super nice guy and it went smoothly. Now my cable card rentals for 3 HD boxes are cheaper than with two previously!

On a side note, I had no charge for a truck roll. I haven't for the 3 cable card installs I ordered over the last 2 years. I wonder if I am a lucky one, or more people don't get charged than do.

--Steve
Nice! Thanks for the update. IIRC a number of folks have said the VZ stopped charging for truck rolls a few months ago.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #1825
bicker
Gruff

Howdy. My wife is really putting on the pressure to switch high-speed Internet service, so I'm back considering switching to FiOS.

Regarding television, from what I've just read, on the last four pages, our TiVo S3 will be fine, now that the pixelation problems have been resolved -- we just have to pay about $8 per month for two CableCARDs for it.

Can anyone point me towards a good place where I can get very balanced (and quick) replies regarding high-speed Internet service and telephone service? The questions I have are:

- I've currently got a 802.11n wireless router, and I understand that FiOS only provides a 802.11g wireless router. I understand also that there is a way to bridge the two, wiring my better wireless to their MoCa compatible router. Is that the case? (I need a couple more wired connections anyway. How many wired ports are in the router FiOS typically provides? Or should I plan on buying a hub?)

- I have Comcast Blast! service.... What can I reasonably expect in terms of improvement (or degradation) with regard to Internet service by switching to FiOS 25 Mbps/15 Mbps?

- I have ADT alarm service connected to my telephone. Am I correct in understanding that that won't be affected?

- I have Selective Ring (two telephone numbers, one telephone line). Does FiOS offer anything like that?
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #1826
pilotbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
- I've currently got a 802.11n wireless router, and I understand that FiOS only provides a 802.11g wireless router. I understand also that there is a way to bridge the two, wiring my better wireless to their MoCa compatible router. Is that the case? (I need a couple more wired connections anyway. How many wired ports are in the router FiOS typically provides? Or should I plan on buying a hub?)
Yes, you can attach your own router. Either put the FiOS router in bridge only mode and use your router for all NAT/DCHP stuff. Or, just turn off the wireless on the FiOS router and turn off DCHP/NAT on your router so you will just be using your current N router as a wireless access point.

Quote:
- I have ADT alarm service connected to my telephone. Am I correct in understanding that that won't be affected?

- I have Selective Ring (two telephone numbers, one telephone line). Does FiOS offer anything like that?
FiOS is about Internet/TV, it has nothing to do with phone. Your current phone service will remain unchanged... although they will switch your connection from copper to fiber optic.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #1827
lew

The Actiontec router supplied by FiOS has 4 ports for wired LAN. I'd assume any newer router would also have at least 4 ethernet ports.

http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all

is a good place for information. There are a couple of threads/sticky that tell you how to use your N router in conjunction with the FiOS supplied router.

Piliotbob--IF Bicker wants/needs to use MoCA (Verizon STB or MoCA adapter for use with tivo) wouldn't he have to use his N router as a wireless access point?

Bicker--If you pick up the right Actiontec router on ebay you can use one of the ports for your tivo and have 3 other ethernet ports for other equipment located in the same area as your tivo.

Last edited by lew : 11-10-2009 at 12:12 PM.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #1828
bicker
Gruff

Believe it or not, I've got six wired Ethernet devices in the same room. Right now, I've only got four of them connected (the other two using wireless), but I'd rather go all wired if possible. I'll do one of the bridging approaches. I understand that since I'm using TiVo and not a FiOS STB, that I really don't need the MoCA router -- I probably could just connect my own, I suspect.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #1829
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Believe it or not, I've got six wired Ethernet devices in the same room. Right now, I've only got four of them connected (the other two using wireless), but I'd rather go all wired if possible. I'll do one of the bridging approaches. I understand that since I'm using TiVo and not a FiOS STB, that I really don't need the MoCA router -- I probably could just connect my own, I suspect.
You're correct about not needing the Actiontec if there are no STBs involved but the MoCA is convenient.

If you need to extend wired ethernet you can just get a switch and extend one of the 4 wired ports. Another router is unnecessary for that purpose.

However, if you want a wireless-N solution you can do as suggested and piggyback a N router off of the Actiontec. I do it here - it's not difficult.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 11-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #1830
bicker
Gruff

The problem now seems to be that they won't commit to running Cat5 from the ONT to where all my computer and television equipment is, two floors above. No frakking way am I going to accept trying to get wireless connections through two storeys. WTF are they thinking?