TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #1741
Rolento76

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1515 View Post
Well my tech just left about an hour ago. I switched all three services from Cablevision. Everything went as smooth and easy as can be, my tech was great.

The picture quality is 10 x better it is not even funny. The M cable cards were no issue at all everything worked first try. My internet connection is also faster compared to optonline speed boost.

I would highly recommend switching to Fios. So far I could not be happier. Granted I have only had the service for 1 hour.

Joe
Congrats. I love my FiOS services too. The only problems for me was billing. Took me three months to straighten out. My only advice is to keep a copy of the offer/order you placed so you have proof of the prices you are supposed to pay. And stay calm. The reps were fine... I think it was the system they were working with that makes things so frustrating.
Rolento76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:59 PM   #1742
mphtrilogy

question, my contract is up and verizon is sending me an M card, at least I hope its an M card, to replace my two single stream cards so i can save the $4 a month

Do I have to do anything special on the Tivo side to get this M card working?
Just place it in slot 1 and repeat guided setup?

Thanks!
mphtrilogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #1743
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy View Post
question, my contract is up and verizon is sending me an M card, at least I hope its an M card, to replace my two single stream cards so i can save the $4 a month
Verizon won't ship CableCards under any circumstances, so expect to see an automated message on your answering machine (or voice mail) with the date and time of the installation appointment. With the automated appointment scheduling, you avoid the CableCard installation fee.

As far as replacing the cards, the installer should remove the two S-Cards and insert the M-CARD into slot #1 on the right. Guided setup isn't necessary.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:44 PM   #1744
mphtrilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Verizon won't ship CableCards under any circumstances, so expect to see an automated message on your answering machine (or voice mail) with the date and time of the installation appointment. With the automated appointment scheduling, you avoid the CableCard installation fee.

As far as replacing the cards, the installer should remove the two S-Cards and insert the M-CARD into slot #1 on the right. Guided setup isn't necessary.
Ok thanks. We'll see if it ships, I'll let you know if that policy still holds.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:39 AM   #1745
richsadams

Quote:
We'll see if it ships, I'll let you know if that policy still holds.
Don't hold your breath...it won't happen. Call and make an appointment or you'll be waiting even longer.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #1746
mphtrilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Don't hold your breath...it won't happen. Call and make an appointment or you'll be waiting even longer.
You ain't kidding.

I called back today.. no box, no M-Card ever shipped.

I have a Tech appointment tomorrow.

I do hope they have multi-stream cards now, i want to change out the 2 Single Cards for one, and give back the DVR for plain old HD box. to save $14 a month.

They did say they would waive the install fee, but the guy said he only made a note of it and I have to call back to make sure it was done next week.

if I did not call today, this could have been in limbo for months.

Thanks for the eye opener.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #1747
richsadams

Quote:
You ain't kidding.

I called back today.. no box, no M-Card ever shipped.

I have a Tech appointment tomorrow.

I do hope they have multi-stream cards now, i want to change out the 2 Single Cards for one, and give back the DVR for plain old HD box. to save $14 a month.

They did say they would waive the install fee, but the guy said he only made a note of it and I have to call back to make sure it was done next week.

if I did not call today, this could have been in limbo for months.

Thanks for the eye opener.
It's amazing after a couple of years now that the VZ CSR's still don't understand that cable cards can't/won't be mailed out. Seems like one memo would cover it, but instead they continue to give out incorrect information and tick off their newest customers.

In any case, be sure to follow up on the install fee waiver (get a copy in writing).

All that aside, I think you'll be very happy with what you'll soon be seeing.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #1748
paladin732
Life Bites

Hey,

Couple of questions:

1. I went to a "verizon experience" store today to speak to a rep about FiOS and I was informed that, yes, I can get M-cards at 3.99, however, I would also need at least one cable box (at a minimum of 5.99/month) in order to use it. They said that the box is required to get the service. This sounds like total crap to me, because as far as I understand it the whole POINT of a cablecard is to NOT have to have a cablebox. Can anyone confirm that they have just the HD Tivo (or HD Tivo XL or Tivo Series 3) WITHOUT an additional box?

2. How long after the wires are laid does it typically take for the service to turn on, and is there a way to get the status on how much longer?
Old 09-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #1749
zyzzx
Go Bucks!

The installation of the fiber and the installation of service are separate. You'll have service when the service installer comes to your house for your appointment. Sometimes the service installer does a temporary fiber run and sometimes the line installer has everything setup for the service installer long before the appointment.

As to your MCard question, yes, the person you talked to at the store is full of it. We have 2 MCards and 2 TiVo HD boxes (1 card for each TiVo HD) and no Verizon boxes.
zyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #1750
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin732 View Post
Can anyone confirm that they have just the HD Tivo (or HD Tivo XL or Tivo Series 3) WITHOUT an additional box?
Yes, you can. You just got an uninformed rep.

Quote:
How long after the wires are laid does it typically take for the service to turn on, and is there a way to get the status on how much longer?
This will can vary from weeks to months (or longer). There are a lot of variables involved.

There's not an easy way to get status.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #1751
ah30k

If they already offer TV service in your area and just dug up 'your' neighborhood they you should not have to wait long. If they dug you up but do not yet have the franchise agreements in place yet then it could take a wide variable amount of time.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:09 AM   #1752
richsadams

Quote:
2. How long after the wires are laid does it typically take for the service to turn on, and is there a way to get the status on how much longer?
FIOS was available about one month after they laid it in our area. I kept checking the web site (which is cumbersome but seems to work). About three months later a VZ sales person came to our door offering the service and was surprised to find out that we already had it.

Just keep checking and eventually the response will be "yes". BTW, it's worth the wait.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #1753
naclone

I just replaced our last S2 with an HD and called Verizon to order a cable card to replace the 1 FiOS cable box we had. Rep said we had to keep the cable box at $5.99/month. When I asked why, she said "It's just our policy". When I pushed her on it we got disconnected, fortunately.

I called back, got another rep who said they would mail me the cablecard right away plus a box to ship back my cable box -- woopie!

A few days later I got a call from the local dispatch saying they were sending someone out with the card to get the box the next day. kinda short notice, but it all worked out. Guy showed up yesterday, got the card setup and took away the box.

I'll keep an eye out to see if I get billed for either the install or the cable box I no longer have.
naclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:44 AM   #1754
aaronwt
HD Addict

I turned in my HD STB over six months ago and I still get letters saying that I need to turn the box into them(It also says that my FIOS service is disconnected which is also untrue). But Verizon has listed on the account that I don't have the box. They seem to have some other company collect these boxes and they always have the wrong info.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #1755
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by naclone View Post
I just replaced our last S2 with an HD and called Verizon to order a cable card to replace the 1 FiOS cable box we had. Rep said we had to keep the cable box at $5.99/month. When I asked why, she said "It's just our policy". When I pushed her on it we got disconnected, fortunately.

I called back, got another rep who said they would mail me the cablecard right away plus a box to ship back my cable box -- woopie!

A few days later I got a call from the local dispatch saying they were sending someone out with the card to get the box the next day. kinda short notice, but it all worked out. Guy showed up yesterday, got the card setup and took away the box.

I'll keep an eye out to see if I get billed for either the install or the cable box I no longer have.
A comedy of errors highlighting the poor training the VZ CSR's are still getting after, what, four plus years now? It's pretty simple but they continue to get it wrong.

- TiVo + Cable Card(s) = No STB (Set Top Box)
- Cable Cards are installed by VZ FIOS Rep (truck roll) and will NOT be mailed/shipped (VZ policy).

Will someone at VZ please send out a memo?

Do keep an eye on your bill. Ours came out just fine but along w/aaronwt's there are a number of horror stories here and elsewhere about (ongoing) billing issues.

Enjoy your new HD experience (and be patient when you tell your friends about what they're missing...they must see to believe! )
Old 09-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #1756
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Enjoy your new HD experience (and be patient when you tell your friends about what they're missing...they must see to believe! )
This coming from a guy who took 2 years to pull the trigger ...

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #1757
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
This coming from a guy who took 2 years to pull the trigger ...
Sooooo busted! Well, to be fair it only took me a few months after it was available in our little neck of the woods.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #1758
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

Quote:
A comedy of errors highlighting the poor training the VZ CSR's are still getting after, what, four plus years now? It's pretty simple but they continue to get it wrong.

- TiVo + Cable Card(s) = No STB (Set Top Box)
- Cable Cards are installed by VZ FIOS Rep (truck roll) and will NOT be mailed/shipped (VZ policy).

Will someone at VZ please send out a memo?
Actually I'd prefer they don't send the memo on that 2nd point. I believe most people that have had CSRs tell them they can ship Cable Cards were not billed for the truck roll. Those that have had CSRs tell them they needed a truck roll have been billed the full truck roll fee.
Scyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #1759
dresden69

I shouldn't say this... But I work in an FSC for Verizon... and we recently rolled out a document that informed the reps on which boxes worked with FIOS and which ones didn't... after seeing the same question in chat every week or so.. thought it was time to do some self education.

Glad to help out the community...

P.S - I have 2 Tivo HDs, and will soon add a third to my FIOS service...
dresden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #1760
gew95001

How's the Fios pixellation issue?

I've been trying to research a little bit. Let me tell you my sad tale. I recently had Fios installed and built my own DVR using SageTV (and MythTV) - but was ultimately unsuccessful. There were too many problems with my HD-PVR crashing in SageTV. So, having been a Tivo customer for the last 5 years or so I decided to swallow my pride (and heed my complaining (rightfully) pregnant wife) and find out if the HD Tivos would work well.

One of my wife's biggest complaints (besides the fact that it kept crashing) was the picture quality. Even though the HD-PVR was recording in HD you could definitely see a difference in the picture. I've read a bunch (at least 20 pages) of this thread and it looks like the pixellation issue using Fios cablecards has been largely resolved.

I live in Tewksbury - anybody near me have a Series 3 set up with the cablecards? How's it working? How is the picture quality?
gew95001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:15 AM   #1761
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresden69 View Post
I shouldn't say this... But I work in an FSC for Verizon...
Oh you've stepped in it with both feet now brother.

Prepare to be queried about all things FIOS!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:25 AM   #1762
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gew95001 View Post
I've read a bunch (at least 20 pages) of this thread and it looks like the pixellation issue using Fios cablecards has been largely resolved.

I live in Tewksbury - anybody near me have a Series 3 set up with the cablecards? How's it working? How is the picture quality?
The FiOS picture with the TivoHD/Series3 is excellent. The pixelization issues were addressed (eliminated) with the release of the 11.0d software in July.

High-definition PQ in fixed output mode is indistinguishable from Verizon's Motorola QIP7xxx boxes. On 40+" displays, the PQ is an obvious improvement over the Hauppauge HD PVR, even at its highest 13.5Mbps CBR setting.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #1763
herbman

Quote:
I've been trying to research a little bit. Let me tell you my sad tale. I recently had Fios installed and built my own DVR using SageTV (and MythTV) - but was ultimately unsuccessful. There were too many problems with my HD-PVR crashing in SageTV. So, having been a Tivo customer for the last 5 years or so I decided to swallow my pride (and heed my complaining (rightfully) pregnant wife) and find out if the HD Tivos would work well.

One of my wife's biggest complaints (besides the fact that it kept crashing) was the picture quality. Even though the HD-PVR was recording in HD you could definitely see a difference in the picture. I've read a bunch (at least 20 pages) of this thread and it looks like the pixellation issue using Fios cablecards has been largely resolved.

In Arlington (assuming you mean MA) with a TivoHD working fine with cablecard. I have two S-cards because they weren't rolling out M-cards yet but I'm trying to find a way to switch without paying a truck roll to save the other 3.99/mo, but you won't have that trouble.

The PQ is great, the pixellation is gone, and the reliability is great.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #1764
dresden69

Quote:
Oh you've stepped in it with both feet now brother.

Prepare to be queried about all things FIOS!
Hahaha... I say bring it on..
Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #1765
dresden69

Quote:

My experience with FIOS and pixilation is it is more centalized to your home more than anything else... if you have pixilation, that is usually a signal issue inside the house... not something that Verizon is doing to you. I would look at your splitters and see about replacing those, get a 5 - 1ghz splitter, or even a 5 - 2.3ghz splitter and see if that solves your pixilation issues.

Enjoy...
Old 09-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #1766
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresden69 View Post
My experience with FIOS and pixilation is it is more centalized to your home more than anything else... if you have pixilation, that is usually a signal issue inside the house... not something that Verizon is doing to you. I would look at your splitters and see about replacing those, get a 5 - 1ghz splitter, or even a 5 - 2.3ghz splitter and see if that solves your pixilation issues.

Enjoy...
Since TiVo's latest upgrade our FIOS service has been almost flawless. Any issues I see now are almost certainly compression artifacts introduced at the broadcast source and very rare.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #1767
Code7135

FIOS Installation issue

Odd problem going from Comcast to Fios (both triple-play). After installation with the HD-Extream package, I found that a block of HD channels were dead - 17 channels in the range 619 to 685, and channels 551 and 552. Everything else works great (including the rest of the HD-Extream channels). But the dead channels include FOOD, HGTV, BRAVO and SciFi, so this could be a deal killer for my wife.

Various Tech have been here during four visits. Signal strength is good, and the channels were good on their DVR box when they substituted it. Reflashed cards 4 times, ran direct cable, etc. Nothing has worked.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have one of the first Series 3 HD units (took advantage of the lifetime transfer offer when it came out). Vios installed two of the M cards.
Code7135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #1768
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code7135 View Post
Odd problem going from Comcast to Fios (both triple-play). After installation with the HD-Extream package, I found that a block of HD channels were dead - 17 channels in the range 619 to 685, and channels 551 and 552. Everything else works great (including the rest of the HD-Extream channels). But the dead channels include FOOD, HGTV, BRAVO and SciFi, so this could be a deal killer for my wife.

Various Tech have been here during four visits. Signal strength is good, and the channels were good on their DVR box when they substituted it. Reflashed cards 4 times, ran direct cable, etc. Nothing has worked.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have one of the first Series 3 HD units (took advantage of the lifetime transfer offer when it came out). Vios installed two of the M cards.
Welcome to the Forum. The problem is most likely not your TiVo (or the cable cards, etc.). When they first installed FIOS on our Series3 there were several blocks of HD channels that were "missing". I called VZ and it took them a little while (most of the day) but they finally got them activated. (I had to call several times.) It had everything to do with how our account was set up, what channels we did and didn't receive, etc. (We have HD Extreme so we get most everything.) Whatever the case, it was handled by FIOS tech support over the phone...nothing associated with their or my hardware at all.

It may not be exactly the same situation with you, but I'd certainly continue to pursue it with them...don't let them tell you it has something to do with TiVo because that makes no sense IMHO.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #1769
Code7135

Thanks Rich. (I was hopping you would reply.)

When a supervisor came over yesterday, he replaced my TiVo with their DVR and got all channels on his box. So he concluded that their programming is getting down my cable. But no luck with the TiVo.

He said he will gather more info and return again today. Thus far they have not blamed the TiVo (except to mention that TiVo does not supply full specs as to what the system input levels should be).

These techs have been willing to spend a lot of time on this, and have a very positive attitude, so I have no complaints there. But I guess my system is becoming a training exercise for them, since VIOS just came to this area.
Thanks again for your help. -Bob
Code7135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:22 AM   #1770
bkdtv

Code,

To help them get the problem resolved, you might say something like, "I read that others in the area using CableCards aren't able to receive the channel either."