Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2009, 06:08 PM   #1711
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzzx View Post
I've seen a lot of wording here that says Verizon absolutely will not allow a self install of CableCards. The Verizon tech dropped off two MCards yesterday and told me I could install them myself when the TiVo HDs arrived.
Sure -- but that's not considered a self-install, because a tech left them with you. Now try getting Verizon to mail the cards to you, or try picking some up at a local office -- the things you could do with set-top boxes.

Having the tech hand them to you, and then doing the actual "install" yourself, is pretty common. Doing it after they've left is a little unusual, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #1712
zyzzx
Go Bucks!

Gotcha. The guy needed to call his supervisor to allow him to leave the cards with us without installing them, so I felt fortunate on that part. I'm just glad to have it all working. I guess I got really lucky to have 11.0d released just before I got the TiVos to use with FiOS.
zyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:17 PM   #1713
joe1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Yes, the TiVo works great with FiOS. Some people had signal issues with the previous software but now those are gone with the latest software.
I am conisdering switching from Cablevision to Fios. I have two series 3 tivo's.

Excuse my ignorance but wich software are you referring too? The signal strenght issue has been the main reason I have not switched yet.

Thanks,

Joe
joe1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #1714
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1515 View Post
I am conisdering switching from Cablevision to Fios. I have two series 3 tivo's.

Excuse my ignorance but wich software are you referring too? The signal strenght issue has been the main reason I have not switched yet.
The signal compatibility issue was eliminated in the 11.0d software (released last month). There's no longer a reason to have any anxiety about the switch.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #1715
joe1515

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
The signal compatibility issue was eliminated in the 11.0d software (released last month). There's no longer a reason to have any anxiety about the switch.
Who realeased the software Tivo or Verizon?
Old 08-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #1716
richsadams

Quote:
Who realeased the software Tivo or Verizon?
All updates for TiVo come only from TiVo (automatically).

BTW, VZ FIOS works quite well with our TiVo's.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #1717
rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimifelipe View Post
I was not charged at all. The tech showed up with M Cards. The first one would not work, and after about 45 min of messing with it, he got a different card and it was running in about 15 min.
just doublechecking something here. I have the orig series 3/648 series. it has 2 slots for cable cards. I was under the impression that you need a cable card in each slot for both tuners to work - whether they are S or M cards.

I almost went w/Fios, but still have Cox right now due to 2 series 2 tivos that are under contract. When i checked w/Fios, I was told they only had M cards. But if you need 2 cards for 1 tivo, it appeared that they would be charging me for each of the 2 cards. another reason i didn't pull the trigger to go over to Fios at that time.
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #1718
vurbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
just doublechecking something here. I have the orig series 3/648 series. it has 2 slots for cable cards. I was under the impression that you need a cable card in each slot for both tuners to work - whether they are S or M cards.

I almost went w/Fios, but still have Cox right now due to 2 series 2 tivos that are under contract. When i checked w/Fios, I was told they only had M cards. But if you need 2 cards for 1 tivo, it appeared that they would be charging me for each of the 2 cards. another reason i didn't pull the trigger to go over to Fios at that time.
Tivohd and xl only require 1 M card. I think the old series 3 requires 2 of the older cards.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #1719
joe1515

I just tried calling FIOS to get some information and of course the sales person told me Fios was not compatible with Tivo. It is amazing how clueless these companies are.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:16 PM   #1720
pilotbob

Quote:
I just tried calling FIOS to get some information and of course the sales person told me Fios was not compatible with Tivo. It is amazing how clueless these companies are.
Oh my god... someone should tell my TiVO it shouldn't be working with FiOS... even though it has been doing so for the last few years.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob : 08-19-2009 at 03:23 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:19 PM   #1721
bkdtv

I've had a TivoHD on FiOS since late 2007.

Before the 11.0d software, I required attenuation to reduce my FiOS signal to a level the TiVo could handle. I'm not using any attenuation since that software was released.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #1722
joe1515

I know with cablevision every so often I have to reset the system or remove and reinsert the cards to get everything working properly.

Does fios experiance the same issues?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #1723
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post

Your Series3 requires two cable cards for both tuners to work. It does not matter if they are "S" (single stream) or "M" (multi-stream).

We are charged for each card we have from Verizon...in our case three cards; two for our Series3 and one for our TiVo HD. Reportedly VZ only has "M" cards now, but again, it doesn't matter when it comes to your Series3.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:45 PM   #1724
richsadams

Quote:
I know with cablevision every so often I have to reset the system or remove and reinsert the cards to get everything working properly.

Never had to do that when we had Comcast, and have never had to do that since we switched to FIOS a while back.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #1725
Johncv

Quote:

Also, is there any close caption issues using Verizon FIOS, I am having issues with close caption on the SyFly channel using Cox.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #1726
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
Also, is there any close caption issues using Verizon FIOS, I am having issues with close caption on the SyFly channel using Cox.
I haven't had any FiOS-related issues with CC, but since you don't say what your issues are, I can't tell you if you'd have them on FiOS or not.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #1727
joe1515

My wife and I watch HGTV a lot and on cablevision the audio is always going in and out has any experianced these issues with Fios on this channel?

I about to pull the trigger and switch to Fios.

Joe
Old 08-19-2009, 08:33 PM   #1728
mae

no HGTV audio issues with FIOS

Quote:
My wife and I watch HGTV a lot and on cablevision the audio is always going in and out has any experianced these issues with Fios on this channel?

Joe
My wife watches it constantly, on the TiVo in HD, and in SD on an STB, and hasn't complained (which I am sure she would) since we switched to FIOS last March.
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #1729
bkdtv

Quote:

Doesn't happen on FiOS.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:37 AM   #1730
richsadams

Quote:

Joe
Never experienced that and we record quite a bit of HGTV. We were hoping that the split screens they use in "Sell This House" (I think that's the one) would not have any macroblocking/pixelization like we were seeing w/Comcast. Turns out it's the program itself and nothing to do with either provider. But no problems w/audio on any channel for that matter.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #1731
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

Quote:

When I was with cablevision this used to happen with my CableCard TV about once every 2 months. Popping the CableCard out and reinserting the card fixed the issue. I didn't have TiVo at the time, so I can't say it was true with TiVo. I have never had any problems with either my TV nor my TiVo's with FIOS.
Scyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:01 AM   #1732
ADG
Allan

I apologize in advance for this question, but this is a 58 page thread and while I'm sure it has been asked and answered a couple of times I'm trying to avoid going through every post. I have two S3's and have had Cablevision for many years. In general I am pleased with them, especially since I also use their phone and internet services. Is there a good reason to consider switching to FIOS?

Again, I apologize for asking a question I'm sure has already been addressed multiple times in this thread. Thanks much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:17 AM   #1733
Rolento76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
I apologize in advance for this question, but this is a 58 page thread and while I'm sure it has been asked and answered a couple of times I'm trying to avoid going through every post. I have two S3's and have had Cablevision for many years. In general I am pleased with them, especially since I also use their phone and internet services. Is there a good reason to consider switching to FIOS?

Again, I apologize for asking a question I'm sure has already been addressed multiple times in this thread. Thanks much.
Overall I was happy with Cablevision except that they didn't carry Discovery Health or BBC America. Now that I have FiOS, those two channels are the most watched. It came down to channel selection for us. And we shaved off about $10-15 a month for the next two years.

EDIT: And to avoid the use of Cablevisions's Tuning Adapter.

Last edited by Rolento76 : 08-20-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Rolento76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #1734
joe1515

I just the ordered the triple package for 134.99 per month. My installation is set up for this Saturday. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for everyones help.

Is there anything special I should know for the installation? I am switching my service from Cablevision.

Joe
Old 08-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #1735
richsadams

Quote:

We know where you're coming from. After a lot of consideration and due diligence we switched from Comcast's "Triple Play" to Verizon FIOS (phone, broadband and TV) for a couple of reasons. (Although we never had any issues with Comcast's customer service.)
  • Picture quality - Due to finite capacity Cableco's are compressing their signals more and more in order to add HD channels. The result is less than stellar HD PQ. Even though some broadcasters and cable stations compress their signals (and there's nothing anyone can do about that) FIOS delivers full bandwidth broadcasts. SD PQ is markedly improved and HD PQ is as good or in some cases simply stunning as compared to Comcast.
  • Broadband reliability. Although Comcast was improving speed it was unreliable and dependant on how many others in my area were using it. FIOS broadband is rock solid 24/7.
  • Price. Comcast continued to raise their rates. We now have the same or more features (including a good deal more HD content) for about $50 less/mo. guaranteed for two years.

YMMV, but we're quite happy with our decision.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #1736
ADG
Allan

Rich (and Rolento76) - thanks very much. I appreciate the help. Quick follow up - you don't feel there was any downside? You didn't "lose anything" in the exchange?

Old 08-20-2009, 11:04 AM   #1737
richsadams

Quote:
Quick follow up - you don't feel there was any downside? You didn't "lose anything" in the exchange?
Nope...all positive so far.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #1738
ADG
Allan

Thanks again. As it turns out I have nothing to consider - just checked and FIOS is not yet available in my area - thought for sure it was.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #1739
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks again. As it turns out I have nothing to consider - just checked and FIOS is not yet available in my area - thought for sure it was.
Too bad. It took them a while to get it in here, but once they started they flew through it so hopefully they'll be in your area pretty soon.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #1740
joe1515

Well my tech just left about an hour ago. I switched all three services from Cablevision. Everything went as smooth and easy as can be, my tech was great.

The picture quality is 10 x better it is not even funny. The M cable cards were no issue at all everything worked first try. My internet connection is also faster compared to optonline speed boost.

I would highly recommend switching to Fios. So far I could not be happier. Granted I have only had the service for 1 hour.

Joe