TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #1681
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by warehouse View Post
I'm still having trouble getting my cable cards. My original order went in as "digital adapters" instead of cable cards and they couldn't do anything with their pathetic system until these adapters arrived at my house and that order was marked as complete. Today I received the adapters and promptly took them back to the local Verizon store. The store couldn't order anything so I was forced to make another call to customer service who said that my order was still frozen. They claimed that they will call me back tomorrow to complete the order and then mail me the cable cards. I told them that they couldn't be mailed and she called someone and assured me that they could.

So tomorrow I'm sure they won't call and I'll have to call again, they will try to mail them, and then after a week they will cancel my order without informing me. I'll then have to call back and start this process over and eventually be charged the $80 for the truck roll. How frustrating!
Try calling +1 800 483 7988. Press "2" when you get to the menu. Explain your problem in polite, pleasant tones. I've had a great deal of luck with those folk lighting fires under the clueless folk I've dealt with in the past.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #1682
blacksnakeball

tivo refuses to replace unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Two thoughts...

1. Perhaps you have a flaky cable card. Has VZ tried to replace them?

2. Has TiVo offered to replace your unit? It could of course be defective.

BOb
they say it is past 30 days even though i have been working all that time to work on a fix. They say it is a FIOS signal problem and that there is no hardware issues with their box.

I have not swapped out the cable card but wil try next...

I can't believe Tivo would reject out of hand, over the phone that this COULD be a hardware issue because I am covered by the 90 day warranty. A faulty tuner perhaps? Hard Drive?
blacksnakeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #1683
FiosUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksnakeball View Post
they say it is past 30 days even though i have been working all that time to work on a fix. They say it is a FIOS signal problem and that there is no hardware issues with their box.

I can't believe Tivo would reject out of hand, over the phone that this COULD be a hardware issue because I am covered by the 90 day warranty. A faulty tuner perhaps? Hard Drive?
Since you asked what we would do...

You won't get anywhere with Tivo customer service (unless you resort to email carpet bombs, working the channels through VZ business customer service--which is that 1-800 number someone gave out--you can search the net for all the people's names to get to to the big wigs...but that just isn't a definite solution).

Options for you:
1- expire Tivo, keep box, wait for the patch
2- keep everything, add VZ box

I would do #2 and just hang on to the Tivo box you have, and get your Tivo service back, and also get the VZ box back.

Enjoy TV again (as much as possible) with the VZ box for a while while you work on the Tivo problem on the side. It will eventually work. It took me a very long time to figure it out (2 years). My final configuration is a diplexer, with attenuators, and with a splitter that goes nowhere. I am considering a second Tivo for the other room, but am reluctant because of this hassle of finding the sweet spot.

Now that I've come to know about this future "patch", I'll look and listen for it and when it comes out I can jump on the new Tivo.

I suggest this is what you do.
FiosUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:01 PM   #1684
pilotbob

Quote:
Hook it up to an OTA antenna and see if you have the same issue. If so, they can't blame FiOS for that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #1685
pujoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
He read the work order and immediately found that he did not have the digital adapter I had asked for (EyeTV for my Mac).
I, too, have EyeTV on the Mac and am planning a shift from DirecTV to FIOS, actually because of the Internet, not TV. I have AT&T DSL right now. I've been pouring over the posts for info, but yours is the first I've seen on the digital adapters. Can you tell me more?

FYI, I had DirecTV TiVos for many years. Most have been replaced with DirecTV HD DVRs. I still have an HR10 HD DVR TiVO. I list these because to say I'm used to having multiple HD DVRs (currently 3). I plan to buy two TIVO HD units and subscribe to Fios.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #1686
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pujoe1 View Post
I, too, have EyeTV on the Mac and am planning a shift from DirecTV to FIOS, actually because of the Internet, not TV. I have AT&T DSL right now. I've been pouring over the posts for info, but yours is the first I've seen on the digital adapters. Can you tell me more?

FYI, I had DirecTV TiVos for many years. Most have been replaced with DirecTV HD DVRs. I still have an HR10 HD DVR TiVO. I list these because to say I'm used to having multiple HD DVRs (currently 3). I plan to buy two TIVO HD units and subscribe to Fios.
Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure what you're using from DTV to feed your EyeTV but when I had Comcast I had one of their simple set top boxes (STB) and a remote. I had coax coming from that into my Hauppauge WinTV HVR 950 (same as EyeTV Hybrid) and then out via USB to my iMac.

When I switched over to FIOS they offered a digital adapter for $3.99/mo. which gives all the SD channels (and SD premiums like HBO I subscribe to) but no guide, on demand or pay per view. The box itself looks identical to the Comcast STB (owner's manual here). I considered using one of their regular DVR sized STB's ($5.99/mo.), but I just don't have the room in my office. The small footprint of the adapter works for me.

Enjoy your new TiVo's!

Last edited by richsadams : 06-26-2009 at 10:17 AM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:10 AM   #1687
lew

AFAIK the TivoHD uses the same chipset used by Motorola for the FiOS DVRs. I hope the upcoming patch solves the problem but it sounds like it may be an issue with tivo's software.

See if FiOS will let you try a DVR, without a comittment. Assuming it works I'd go after tivo for a refund. Tivo can't have it both ways, they say there is an issue with FiOS then they should have told you to return the box immediately and not waste time trying stuff. Alternately if it works with FiOS they have to work with you, and replace your tivo, until it works.

Quote:

lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 AM   #1688
pujoe1

Quote:
Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure what you're using from DTV to feed your EyeTV but when I had Comcast I had one of their simple set top boxes (STB) and a remote. I had coax coming from that into my Hauppauge WinTV HVR 950 EyeTV Hybrid) and then out via USB to my iMac.
I have a MacBook Pro. My computer room has no TV at the moment, other than my EyeTV and an OTA from WalMart. I have cat 5 in the room, but no coax from my home run in the master bedroom closet downstairs. My network is primarily WiFi 802.11n, although I do have a powerline adapter to run ethernet to my AppleTV in the media room. I had been running it off Wifi, but decided to go with a higher bandwidth solution.

Quote:
When I switched over to FIOS they offered a digital adapter for $3.99/mo. which gives all the SD channels (and SD premiums like HBO I subscribe to) but no guide, on demand or pay per view. The box itself looks identical to the Comcast STB owner's manual. I considered using one of their regular DVR sized STB's ($5.99/mo.), but I just don't have the room in my office. The small footprint of the adapter works for me.
Thanks. I've truly missed the Tivos the last couple of years as the originals I had with DirecTV got replaced with their own brand HD units. I'm still gathering info on all the options and issues with a switch to Verizon. Haven't made the plunge yet, but I can't resist the high bandwidth Internet as compared to my AT&T DSL.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:21 AM   #1689
pujoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I also had DirecTV and left it because they abandoned Tivo-based DVRs. Now that I've had the combined FIOS TV/Internet/Phone package I have no desire to go back to paying DirecTV more... while getting less. I also succeeded in getting over a dozen friends and neighbors to drop DirecTV as well.
Details on the switch from DirecTV to Verizon FIOS and the switch from DSL to FIOS internet is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm trying to prepare. I've been searching the forum posts. Is there a thread somewhere dedicated to this subject? A search hasn't found anything for me.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:39 AM   #1690
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pujoe1 View Post
Details on the switch from DirecTV to Verizon FIOS and the switch from DSL to FIOS internet is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm trying to prepare. I've been searching the forum posts. Is there a thread somewhere dedicated to this subject? A search hasn't found anything for me.
Mine was from Comcast to VZ FIOS. I have a couple of posts about my experience if you want some additional details:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...27#post7304527

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...98#post7306598

We had the TV/Phone/Broadband package with Comcast and the same now with VZ. The TV PQ has improved quite a bit with FIOS. SD looks much better and some HD is remarkably improved because Comcast was compressing HD signals more and more. I hear DTV was compressing HD even more and folks that have switched are seeing a big improvement. Broadband was mixed because Comcast was improving. During "good" times I was able to get 34/9 (late at night when no one else in the neighborhood was online). Most of the time it ran about 18/6 or so. With FIOS it's a steady 20/4 (s/b 20/5 but up never gets beyond 4 and I haven't fussed about it). It's good to have the steady speed I think and I haven't noticed any slowdowns or outages at all. Phone service is no different. All of that for about $50 less a month. I'm glad we switched.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #1691
pujoe1

Quote:
Mine was from Comcast to VZ FIOS. I have a couple of posts about my experience if you want some additional details:
Thanks. I'll read them.

Quote:
Broadband was mixed because Comcast was improving. During "good" times I was able to get 34/9 (late at night when no one else in the neighborhood was online). Most of the time it ran about 18/6 or so. With FIOS it's a steady 20/4 (s/b 20/5 but up never gets beyond 4 and I haven't fussed about it). It's good to have the steady speed I think and I haven't noticed any slowdowns or outages at all.
Broadband improvement will be easy. My AT&T DSL advertises 6/.7, I think, but actual performance rarely tops about 4 down, most disappointing. To be honest, I'm happy with DirecTV, but the broadband improvement with FIOS is a huge lure. Of course, the only reason I'm not just switching broadband is Tivo. I really miss my Tivo. The DirecTV HD DVR software pales in comparison, and we've had lots of trouble with uncommanded system restarts and lost signals. For important programs, I now set both my HD DVRs to record the same program, hoping one with get it. I think you can see the obvious motivations I have to switch.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #1692
hansenc

Well I have my FiOS cablecard install tomorrow. Wish me luck guys!

Anything I should know before hand?
hansenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #1693
bkdtv

My report on the new update:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I have FiOS and received the 11.0d update yesterday.

I was previously able to eliminate 99+% of all pixelization with 16+dB attenuation. Without this attenuation, most channels exhibited massive pixelization and some channels would not reliably tune.

I did not notice any problems post-install. To test potential improvement with this release, I removed my attenuation this afternoon. To my surprise, I do not see any pixelization on any channel. I checked all my favorite channels for RS Uncorrected errors, and saw none except for occasional errors in the first second or so after tuning a channel. After the first second, there were no further RS Uncorrected errors. Channels that previously required some attenuation to tune...can now be tuned without attenuation and without pixelization.

Verdict: At least for me, the 11.0d update eliminates the need for attenuation. Pixelization is nowhere to be seen.

bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 AM   #1694
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Thumbs up All good in Tivo / NJ FIOS paradise

I have had .d now for approx 1 week, removed the -20db attenuator, signal strength back to 100, 37db.

I have left the tuners on the 2 most problematic channes for me (DiscHD and FoodHD) over the weekend. Happy to report Uncorrected errors stayed at 0 for both tuners and not a single pixellation.

WHOOT WHOOT

YAY

Thank you Tivo

Gman

ps, I know many are still in the que for the update..... perform a "Kickstart 51" on a daily basis, it may help
Old 07-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #1695
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post

ps, I know many are still in the que for the update..... perform a "Kickstart 51" on a daily basis, it may help
That isn't going to give you the software any quicker.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #1696
rcalkins27

Hey, I am new to the community, but I have a question I am hoping someone can answer simply.

My parents had a TiVo and Cablevision, now they have Verizon Fios and the Verizon DVRs. My mother wants her TiVo back.

If I get her a S3 TiVo and arrange for a Cablecard(s), will she be able to use the TiVo with relatively little issue? I understand from what I've read here that she won't be able to use the On Demand features or PPV features if she's using a TiVo box instead of the Verizon box.

Also, if the TiVo S3 will work, what will happen with the set-top boxes she has that are *not* DVRs, but are connected to the DVR box she is currently using.

My main concern here is that the set-up be easy and that she won't have any major issues. I don't live too close and can't go by to troubleshoot should there be lots of problems.

I appreciate any help which anyone can offer.
rcalkins27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #1697
TheBar1
Long Time Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalkins27 View Post
If I get her a S3 TiVo and arrange for a Cablecard(s), will she be able to use the TiVo with relatively little issue? I understand from what I've read here that she won't be able to use the On Demand features or PPV features if she's using a TiVo box instead of the Verizon box.
Welcome, rcalkins27. Your assumptions are correct that the setup is relatively painless. I made a similar switch from FiOS and their DVR back to TiVo about 1.5 years ago, and haven't looked back since. One thing you'll want to consider as far as the PPV feature is connecting your TiVo to broadband internet so you can take advantage of Amazon or NetFlix VOD service. Both are pretty awesome, IMO. Aside from buying a TiVoHD, you'll need to book a service call with Verizon to have the Cablecard installed. Be warned that they will charge you about $100 for the truck roll. Make sure you ask for the "M" Cablecard, since you can save some $$ on having a single M card versus two "S" cards. You may also be able to save some money if you surrender your Verizon DVR to a local field office instead of asking the tech to take it with him. Make sure you ask Verizon about that.

Quote:
Also, if the TiVo S3 will work, what will happen with the set-top boxes she has that are *not* DVRs, but are connected to the DVR box she is currently using.
My FiOS DVR was never networked for MRV, so I'm not quite sure what might happen here.

Good luck!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Sony SAT-60 DirecTiVo [Est. 4/2001] (RIP 5/11/2004)
Philips DSR-708 DirecTiVo[Est. 5/2004] (RIP 8/31/07)
TiVo HD [Est. 2/2008]
TheBar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #1698
rcalkins27

Thanks TheBar1 (Justin). I will review this information with my mother and I will also probably call Verizon myself to ask some more detailed questions.

She really dislikes the Verizon boxes, so if I can figure out a relatively painless way to switch her back to TiVo, that would be great.

Thanks for the help!

Ruth
rcalkins27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #1699
bkdtv

Quote:
Yes, the TiVo works great with FiOS. Some people had signal issues with the previous software but now those are gone with the latest software.

Quote:
She can continue to use those Verizon boxes, but they won't be able to access recordings on the TiVo. Verizon's Motorola boxes can only access recordings on the Motorola DVR.

TiVos can access recordings on other TiVos.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 PM   #1700
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBar1 View Post
Be warned that they will charge you about $100 for the truck roll.
Didn't VZ drop the CC install truck roll charge recently?
Old 07-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #1701
innocentfreak

There are mixed reports. On the Verizon forums they say there is no option for them to bill for cable card installs so if you get charged it is incorrect and to call back. You can read a thread here about it. Some have been told there will be a charge and then they never get charged.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #1702
TheBar1
Long Time Lurker

Quote:
Didn't VZ drop the CC install truck roll charge recently?
If that's the case. maybe I should request a new M card to replace my two S cards. I'll have to look into that.

Thanks, Rich!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Sony SAT-60 DirecTiVo [Est. 4/2001] (RIP 5/11/2004)
Philips DSR-708 DirecTiVo[Est. 5/2004] (RIP 8/31/07)
TiVo HD [Est. 2/2008]
TheBar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #1703
scoombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
There are mixed reports. On the Verizon forums they say there is no option for them to bill for cable card installs so if you get charged it is incorrect and to call back. You can read a thread here about it. Some have been told there will be a charge and then they never get charged.
I called today and the guy said there was no way he could get around the system to NOT link a service call with a technician truck roll to a CableCard order. He said the only way he knows to avoid it is if it is a trouble ticket through the fibre solution center.
scoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #1704
randyb359

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoombs View Post
I called today and the guy said there was no way he could get around the system to NOT link a service call with a technician truck roll to a CableCard order. He said the only way he knows to avoid it is if it is a trouble ticket through the fibre solution center.
I had my s cards swapped for an m card. I was told there would be a charge of $79 but I checked my bill today and it is not one there.
randyb359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #1705
innocentfreak

Question. I just added a third Tivo HD and they are coming out to install the cablecard Friday. I completed guided setup but I am not getting any channels whatsoever including the basic channels. Is this a problem with my setup? I want to make sure everything works before they come out, but I can't seem to find a station that comes in.

For example when I did guided setup they asked me to confirm I could see channel 48 which is the TV Guide network. I couldn't so I selected it to show me another channel but all of the channels are black screens.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #1706
bkdtv

Quote:
Question. I just added a third Tivo HD and they are coming out to install the cablecard Friday. I completed guided setup but I am not getting any channels whatsoever including the basic channels. Is this a problem with my setup? I want to make sure everything works before they come out, but I can't seem to find a station that comes in.
That's normal.

Verizon FiOS does not have any analog channels, and all but locals are encrypted, so you won't get a picture on any channel unless you run a channel scan. If you run a channel scan, you'll get a picture on the QAMs from 71-74 if you enable (check) them in Settings -> Channels -> Channel List.

Quote:
For example when I did guided setup they asked me to confirm I could see channel 48 which is the TV Guide network. I couldn't so I selected it to show me another channel but all of the channels are black screens.
As above, there are no analog channels on FiOS, so you won't see a picture on the TVGuide network or any other channel in the guide (unless you run a channel scan and add QAMs 71-74) until you add a CableCard. TiVo has no way to match up the guide data to the appropriate QAM numbers until a CableCard is installed.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #1707
kimifelipe

Quote:
Hey, I am new to the community, but I have a question I am hoping someone can answer simply.

My parents had a TiVo and Cablevision, now they have Verizon Fios and the Verizon DVRs. My mother wants her TiVo back.

My main concern here is that the set-up be easy and that she won't have any major issues. I don't live too close and can't go by to troubleshoot should there be lots of problems.

I appreciate any help which anyone can offer.
I don't know if this has been answered yet, but I can tell you about MRV with the fios dvr and our other stb. I am trying it out for a couple months and I really like it. Using the mrv feature is as easy as sitting in front of the non-dvr box and hitting the dvr button - it acts exactly as if the stb were itself the dvr.

One downside is that if you are time-shifting a program which is currently recording, it can play back with some hesitation at times.

I think it is fantastic, and I really like the fios guide and dvr interface. I don't think that $20/mo is such a good deal, though, and I probably will not keep it after the free trial period. However, if the fios box records programs as reliably as tivo I will be tempted as I do like the interface. The major downside is limited and non-upgradeable storage space, and of course no tivo2go. These two things will likely keep me a tivo user.
kimifelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #1708
kimifelipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBar1 View Post
snip
Be warned that they will charge you about $100 for the truck roll. Make sure you ask for the "M" Cablecard, since you can save some $$ on having a single M card versus two "S" cards.
snip
I was not charged at all. The tech showed up with M Cards. The first one would not work, and after about 45 min of messing with it, he got a different card and it was running in about 15 min.
kimifelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #1709
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
That's normal.

Verizon FiOS does not have any analog channels, and all but locals are encrypted, so you won't get a picture on any channel unless you run a channel scan. If you run a channel scan, you'll get a picture on the QAMs from 71-74 if you enable (check) them in Settings -> Channels -> Channel List.

As above, there are no analog channels on FiOS, so you won't see a picture on the TVGuide network or any other channel in the guide (unless you run a channel scan and add QAMs 71-74) until you add a CableCard. TiVo has no way to match up the guide data to the appropriate QAM numbers until a CableCard is installed.
Hmm ok. I swear I ran the channel scan also but still wasn't getting a picture since I know they don't get analog. I will just assume everything is working and if not Fios can test to tell me if the line I have isn't connected properly. This is what happens when you have too many lines.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #1710
zyzzx
Go Bucks!

I've seen a lot of wording here that says Verizon absolutely will not allow a self install of CableCards. The Verizon tech dropped off two MCards yesterday and told me I could install them myself when the TiVo HDs arrived. I went through initial setup of the TiVos last night and called the technical service number today to have the cards activated in the boxes. After 45 minutes on the phone, our TiVos are now accessing FiOS TV.

So YMMV on getting Verizon to hand you the CableCards for a self install. It wasn't easy getting them activated over the phone but it eventually worked. I'm glad I didn't need to setup another visit to my house.
zyzzx is online now   Reply With Quote