TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2009, 04:13 PM   #1471
webin

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Ah, I hadn't gotten to the "$150 fine print" yet. I don't know of anyone that has FIOS at the moment. I'll have to think about that. Anyway, we can compare notes later!
/hums to himself....
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #1472
mae

Two different promos

Quote:
Ah, I hadn't gotten to the "$150 fine print" yet. I don't know of anyone that has FIOS at the moment. I'll have to think about that. Anyway, we can compare notes later!
Rich,

They are different issues. The referral offer is a standing one for current subscribers, unrelated to the "promo of the month" for new subscribers.

As for the fine print on the current "new subscribers $150) promo", I froze the screen on the commercial last night, and it seems to be a payoff in debit cards over time. I haven't had a chance to either call them or look at the web site.

Mark
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #1473
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae View Post
Rich,

They are different issues. The referral offer is a standing one for current subscribers, unrelated to the "promo of the month" for new subscribers.

As for the fine print on the current "new subscribers $150) promo", I froze the screen on the commercial last night, and it seems to be a payoff in debit cards over time. I haven't had a chance to either call them or look at the web site.

Mark
Thanks for that Mark...I will take a moment today to perform some due diligence and see what turns up. Debit cards spend just about as good as cash most places so I'm in if that's the case. Report back soon.

Webin...will you be my friend?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 PM   #1474
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Damn. Always a day late and $50 short. I was hoping I could be your friend.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #1475
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Damn. Always a day late and $50 short. I was hoping I could be your friend.
D'oh!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:07 AM   #1476
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I'm a friend to anyone who wants to sign up with Fios.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #1477
webin

Heya Rich, thanks for the friend invite... but go ahead and take one of the other guys this time. I've got too much going on this week to deal with a VZ referral and the potential billing issues that might ensue. Oh how I wish that weren't true :-(
Old 03-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #1478
mae

Took the plunge!

Quote:
Thanks for that Mark...I will take a moment today to perform some due diligence and see what turns up. Debit cards spend just about as good as cash most places so I'm in if that's the case. Report back soon.

Rich,

Looks like I made my move first...signed up today with an install set for 3/25.

I found out a few interesting things that may be of use to you.

1) The 800(etc) numbers on the ads lead to various call centers where folks don't seem to know much. It turns out VZ opened a store front less than 2 miles away. They do demos but again, had never heard of a cablecard. They exist as a pickup/exchange/drop-off point for boxes. They did give me a number with a local area code that went to a call center where people actually knew things!!!! They knew they had M cards and what a TiVo is. They knew about various internet options and routers.

2) They had various additional deals (over and above the $150 debit card) like a $30 credit and an HD box free for a year. They were able to do a little negotiation. They also understood the referral credit for my daughter.

So, you should try and find an equivalent in your area to bypass the national call centers. If you PM me, I'll give you the local number here and you can ask them.

I'm a little concerned about some 28 year old RG59 that is now hidden, but I'm told that it "should" be OK for the TV and the MoCA due to the usually troubling high signal levels. I've bought a variable attenuator to deal with any issues for the TiVo.

I'll post here on the installation experience in two weeks.

Mark
Old 03-11-2009, 03:15 AM   #1479
richsadams

Many tanks Mark. Sent a P.M.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #1480
johncoyne

M cards

I see that you mentioned M cards. Are these now available from Verizon? Also, what's the benefit of the M card over the two cards I use now (I do know you need only one M card, and should (?) then save a bit of money on the card "rental") but are M cards better tech wise? Thanks.
John, NY
johncoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #1481
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncoyne View Post
I see that you mentioned M cards. Are these now available from Verizon? Also, what's the benefit of the M card over the two cards I use now (I do know you need only one M card, and should (?) then save a bit of money on the card "rental") but are M cards better tech wise? Thanks.
John, NY
TiVo Series3's require two cable cards, either "S" or "M". TiVo HD/HDXL's can use a single "M", multi-stream or two "S", single-stream cable cards. Initially VZ and other cableco's only offered "S" cable cards. Many posts are now indicating that VZ is starting to deliver "M" cable cards depending on the geographical area.

"M" cards can decode up to six channels simultaneously. Of course TiVo is only capable of processing two. "S" cards only decode one video stream. The setup process takes a little longer with "S" cards because they both have to be activated/paired separately (slot 0 first, then slot 1). That said AFAIK there's no technical advantage to having an "M" card other than removing one failure point. (But if there is I'd also like to know what it might be).

As you mentioned, the only advantage to using one "M" over two "S" cable cards that I'm aware of is the possible reduction in cost to the final user. Some companies charge per card. Sometimes the first card is free, then from as little as $1.50 to $7.00 for each additional card.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #1482
webin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncoyne View Post
what's the benefit of the M card over the two cards I use now (I do know you need only one M card, and should (?) then save a bit of money on the card "rental") but are M cards better tech wise? Thanks.
John, NY

Rich outlined the important stuff. From your post, it sounds like you are wondering if you should swap your 2x S-Cards for 1x M-Card.. while you would save $3.99 per month, Verizon will most likely charge you $80 for a "truck roll" to come out and install the M-Card, so if you currently have S-Cards, it'd take 20 months to see any financial benefit from the single M-Card.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #1483
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by webin View Post
Rich outlined the important stuff. From your post, it sounds like you are wondering if you should swap your 2x S-Cards for 1x M-Card.. while you would save $3.99 per month, Verizon will most likely charge you $80 for a "truck roll" to come out and install the M-Card, so if you currently have S-Cards, it'd take 20 months to see any financial benefit from the single M-Card.
The other reason I don't do it is because it's working right and I don't want to go through install hell again.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:02 AM   #1484
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
The other reason I don't do it is because it's working right and I don't want to go through install hell again.
Probably the best reason of all!
Old 03-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #1485
TeamW

Angry In your initial order, make SURE they are giving you Multi-stream card...

I ordered a multi-stream card and the guy showed up with a single stream card. I eventually made them come back and install a multi-stream card at their expense, but not without taking a lot of flack from their tech. support. I heard various excuses like:

"We don't have those right now."

"Those are the old ones and they are out of stock."

and a few other things of similar credibility.

I pushed back on that nonsense. Finally I got through to a supervisor who let me know this: in the Verizon equipment inventory system - they have one SKU - for "CableCard" they don't have a separate entry for multi-stream cards vs. single stream cards. This is why my original order was screwed up and why you may still have trouble getting them to install a M-Card.

The supervisor put in all kinds of notes in capital letters on my work order to tell the technician he needed to bring out a M-Card rather than an S-Card. That did work.

So don't take any B.S. - they do indeed support and stock multi-stream cable cards, they just don't have any way to enter a request for an M-Card into their system for you.

So ask for what you need and make them give it to you. While I completely understand the desire to not mess with a 2 card system if it is working right - for new installs you should make them give you an M-Card, as it is stupid to pay them for two cards when you only need one.

I am in the Wash. DC metro area and got an M-Card three weeks ago. Don't let them jerk you around!
TeamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 04:27 PM   #1486
cnsteph

Okay, I read through the first 8 pages of this thread then my adhd kicked in. So whats the verdict: can Verizon FiOS and Tivo HD work well together?
Which Tivo should I get?
What equipment do I need (saw a few posts about the Multi cable card)?
Can someone do a summary for me, please?

Last edited by cnsteph : 03-16-2009 at 04:41 PM.
cnsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #1487
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnsteph View Post
Okay, I read through the first 8 pages of this thread then my adhd kicked in. So whats the verdict: can Verizon FiOS and Tivo HD work well together?
Usually.

Quote:
Which Tivo should I get?
Whichever suits your requirements and budget. The question is unrelated to FiOS -- assuming we're talking about the TiVo HD vs HD XL... that is the forum we're in. A Series 2 Dual Tuner would be a different story.

Quote:
What equipment do I need (saw a few posts about the Multi cable card)?
Can someone do a summary for me, please?
A TiVo HD will require one multistream CableCARD or two single stream cards. Since Verizon charges $3.99 each for them, you'll want to try to get the former.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:52 AM   #1488
innocentfreak

I have a quick question. My friend is looking to switch to Fios from Directv and as a result got me looking into it. One thing that confused me is when I looked on the Verizon site for price options I noticed they mentioned Tuning Adaptors for 4.99 but no option for cable cards only.

Is Fios now requiring tuning adaptors to get all the channels similar to how it appears other companies are requiring it? Or is this just for analog equipment?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:11 AM   #1489
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Verizon does not have tuning adaptors. What you're seeing is the "digital adaptor", which is simply a low-end cable box, with no guide or VOD. (The only on-screen displays are the channel number and the debugging menus.) They call it an adaptor because it provides analog-equivalent functionality, I guess, and they were handing them out for free to customers who signed up back when Fios offered analog service.

And no, they don't have CableCards on their site. You can only order them by phone. It sucks. I might even call it sleazy. But I wouldn't let it deter me from signing up.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:14 AM   #1490
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
And no, they don't have CableCards on their site. You can only order them by phone. It sucks. I might even call it sleazy. But I wouldn't let it deter me from signing up.
Of course in this case it costs you $60 dollars since you lose the discount for ordering online.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #1491
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Of course in this case it costs you $60 dollars since you lose the discount for ordering online.
You can negotiate that back. In fact, you can negotiate the price of the cards, too. Since any "deal closer" agreements can only be posted to your bill in $10 increments, they're actually paying me to take the cards.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #1492
sweez

I'm thinking of jumping in with a Tivo HD and FIOS. I live in NYC/Manhattan and FIOS just came to my area. Any successful and hassle-free installations with Mcards in the NYC area?

I can wait for the installation kinks to be worked out. I dont want to deal with clueless technicians and long customer support calls to order Mcards.
sweez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #1493
NYHeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
What I did was order online with set top boxes and then called to change the order to cable cards. The order is currently showing cablecards. I'll let you know how it goes after next Friday when I have my installation. I already have Fios internet. I didn't try to negotiate anything extra but I did get a $30 first month statement credit which was part of the deal. Could be only for current Fios internet customers.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #1494
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
What I did was order online with set top boxes and then called to change the order to cable cards. The order is currently showing cablecards. I'll let you know how it goes after next Friday when I have my installation. I already have Fios internet. I didn't try to negotiate anything extra but I did get a $30 first month statement credit which was part of the deal. Could be only for current Fios internet customers.
yeah I see the 150 cash back and $30 off along with the $5 a month deal when I check my bundle options. Ugh this decision is driving me nuts. Its funny I went through this same thing when I switched to DTV. I found the 100 hour DTivos at the time for clearance at Sound Advice. I bought them and jumped from cable with series 2 to DTV. Of course it was a bigger jump 80 hours to 100 and single tuner to dual tuners. Now the jump isn't so big.

- Decrease in space since all of my Dtivos have 500gb drives and I only record SD. Obviously I could upgrade the drives but I would void warranty versus DTV where I had the protection plan for the two times I couldn't repair the units.
-Tivo fees will result in either no change in what I pay now or actually cost more since I pay 85 and 150 versus 175 or so plus Tivo subscriptions.
-Spoiled by having 4 boxes I can't imagine dropping to less.
-Need to build a server or buy one, which I need to do anyway for backups, to store Tivo shows freeing up space without needing to upgrade.
-initial cost of Tivos when I may get an even better deal through DTV when the new Tivos come out, of course many of the same issues apply since no details yet on the new box. Also I wouldn't have to upgrade all at once.
-the biggest probably I don't even have a HD set.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:12 AM   #1495
mae

Successful FIOS Install - Howard County, MD

I had my install yesterday, and it went very well.

Installation window was 8-12, and tech called about 8:45 and said he would be out at about 9:30. Arrived on that schedule, did a walk through of the job (phone switch from copper, CableCard for TiVo, one HD box, 1 SD box, 2 digital adapters, and their router). The tech had 11 years with VZ, and has been doing FIOS installs since the rollout. He had an M-Card and said that is all he has seen for the past few months. He installed the ONT, provisioned it, and connected it to the phone NID and the existing COAX coming from the Comcast grounding block. The main feed went to a 2 GHz 4-way splitter which he left in place. He had an automated field strength meter that he used to test all 4 runs and found them in spec, even the 28 year old RG59 run to the bedroom. He connected up the router and STBs, attached his laptop to the router and activated the boxes and CableCard. The CableCard activation screen gave him a countdown of about 15 minutes and at the end, we checked the TiVo and all channels (SD, HD, Premium) were coming in fine. The wireless adapter found the new router, I re-ran guided set up and after another 45 minutes or so everything was set, including changes to the Season Passes.

So far, no pixelation, and signal strengths on the TiVo range from 87 to 100 percent, with SNRs running from 35 to 37 db. The lower signal strengths can be attributed to the 4-way split in the basement and the 2-way at the TV. The ONT was newer model, an Alcatel (a little smaller than others I've seen), which the tech said was using a newer fiber protocol (for greater future bandwidth). This may also have had some effect on the overload issue. My variable attenuator is still in the package.

One final note on the router. It is an Actiontec, rev D which was flashed with the newest firmware by the installer. In some parts of the country, they are using either the Rev E or a Westell. Despite all of the issues I read about online, it seems fine and gives as good a signal around the house as my Linksys with a gain antenna. So at least for now, I'm using it for wireless. I have a NIM 100 from E-Bay, and at some point I'll try replacing the TiVo's wireless adapter.

So the fears about OCD installers wanting to rewire everything, the Actiontech router and pixelation were (so far at least) unfounded. I'll wait a few more days to be sure everything is stable, and head over to "Comcast Town" to turn in my equipment and tell them I'm moving out.

OK Rich, you're next!

Last edited by mae : 03-27-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:27 AM   #1496
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
... He installed the ONT, The ONT was newer model, an Alcatel (a little smaller than others I've seen), which the tech said was using a newer fiber protocol (for greater future bandwidth). This may also have had some effect on the overload issue. My variable attenuator is still in the package. ...
Does this ONT also have an Ethernet jack if you didn't want to use MoCA for the internet?

Thanks!
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:37 AM   #1497
dresden69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Does this ONT also have an Ethernet jack if you didn't want to use MoCA for the internet?

Thanks!
Yes... the ONT has an Ethernet port on it, you have to ask the tech to run Ethernet cable and not use Coax... a lot of techs are using Coax because it eases their install times... and when you are given 4 or 5 jobs a day... any 'shortcuts' are taken... So if you want Ethernet... make sure you ask for it...

Or you could take your Actiontec (Or Westtell in the West) and bridge it... there is an awesome document on how to do it on another website called dslreports.com under the FIOS section. This way you could use any router you wanted, just passing the ip address through the actiontec or westtell...
dresden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:49 AM   #1498
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresden69 View Post
Yes... the ONT has an Ethernet port on it, you have to ask the tech to run Ethernet cable and not use Coax... a lot of techs are using Coax because it eases their install times... and when you are given 4 or 5 jobs a day... any 'shortcuts' are taken... So if you want Ethernet... make sure you ask for it...

Or you could take your Actiontec (Or Westtell in the West) and bridge it... there is an awesome document on how to do it on another website called dslreports.com under the FIOS section. This way you could use any router you wanted, just passing the ip address through the actiontec or westtell...

I already have the Ethernet in place I'm just waiting for Verizon to light up the building. Do you have the same ONT as mae?

Edit: My main concern is that they don't remove the Ethernet port form the newer ONTs. If mae would confirm this for me, I would appreciate it.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:52 AM   #1499
dresden69

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
I already have the Ethernet in place I'm just waiting for Verizon to light up the building. Do you have the same ONT as mae?

Edit: My main concern is that they don't remove the Ethernet port form the newer ONTs. If mae would confirm this for me, I would appreciate it.
I have heard nothing about redesigning the ONT... I think that Verizon has finally gotten a stable ONT, that redesigning it now, would be a bad move... and I believe I have a 612 on the side of my house...

P.S - The tech is going to love that you have the Ethernet in place...
dresden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:47 AM   #1500
richsadams

Quote:
OK Rich, you're next!
D'oh! The pressure!