TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #1441
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Right on the back of the unit, for one place.
This photo doesn't show the bottom wording, maybe you can tell me what it says since mine is not very accessible. While you are at it, what is your definition of a "pledge to get it working"? In my humble opinion someone would have to actually promise or pledge that they would actually do it.

Now if you are claiming they wanted to or hoped to or intended to or implied they would then you'll get no argument. Claiming they pledged to though is totally baseless and adds to the rash of posters on this forum putting words into TiVos mouth that were never actually said.

http://www.gizmolovers.com.nyud.net/...iVo-Box-12.jpg
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:08 PM   #1442
sinanju

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k View Post
This photo doesn't show the bottom wording
It isn't there. There was a pic from CES, but I don't know if any production units were built with that text on them. Perhaps because the CES text suggests M-Cards couldn't be used in the top slot.

It is, however, documented on page 102 of the original manual as a done deal. There is a caveat about M-Cards not being available at the time of the writing of the document but, as worded, doesn't mention anything about "intended" or "forthcoming" support:

"Note: A single multi-stream CableCARD decoder installed in the bottom slot on the back of the DVR enables dual tuner functionality."

That language hasn't been updated in the manual on TiVo's site: http://www.tivo.com/assets/kdb/TiVo&...leshooting.pdf

Last edited by sinanju : 01-25-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: punctuation
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:03 PM   #1443
ah30k

Sinanju,
All that you point to supports the claim that TiVo intended for it work. In fact, they thought that it would work until, well, it didn't. Such are the facts and not in dispute.

Now show me where TiVo pledged to make it work as our esteemed colleague claimed they did.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #1444
webin

Quote:
Such are the facts and not in dispute.

Now show me where TiVo pledged to make it work as our esteemed colleague claimed they did.
This isn't really anything that needs to be argued about. We have the fact that Series3 doesn't work with M-Cards in dual-tuner mode, and it doesn't really have anything to do with FiOS, the topic of this thread.
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:36 AM   #1445
sinanju

Quote:
Why? I'm not the one claiming the made a pledge. Are you so worked up about this that you can't keep track of who claimed what?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:19 AM   #1446
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
Why? I'm not the one claiming the made a pledge. Are you so worked up about this that you can't keep track of who claimed what?
When I asked wmcbrine to show me where TiVo pledged to make it work you chimed in with all of the references TiVo made that it would work (manual pages, web pages, etc) without caveating with 'intended' or 'forthcoming' wording. Sure sounded to me like you agreed with wmcbrine and his claim. Or maybe I misread your post.

And yes, I do get worked up over stupid claims that TiVo promised this or pledged this that are totally baseless. Then others chime in and agree with the OP which just gets me even more frustrated. I should let irresponsible comments go without comment but can't seem to do that.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #1447
sinanju

Quote:
When I asked wmcbrine to show me where TiVo pledged to make it work you chimed in with all of the references TiVo made that it would work (manual pages, web pages, etc) without caveating with 'intended' or 'forthcoming' wording. Sure sounded to me like you agreed with wmcbrine and his claim. Or maybe I misread your post.

And yes, I do get worked up over stupid claims that TiVo promised this or pledged this that are totally baseless. Then others chime in and agree with the OP which just gets me even more frustrated. I should let irresponsible comments go without comment but can't seem to do that.
Apparently, you got so worked up you missed the part where I actually mentioned that wmcbrine was incorrect about the labeling on the production S3 vs the CES S3, contradicting wmcbrine and his claim.

I was simply presenting facts. Apparently you think the facts have an anti-TiVo bias. Take a deep breath and get a grip.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #1448
webin

Boys. You have a thread to argue about the MCards. Stop doing it here, please. Or better yet, PM each other. Or better still, drop it. No one cares.

//gets out the fire hose
Old 01-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #1449
Timber

-=Tim=-
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #1450
drew7777

Who Do I Need To Speak To?

I've had Fios for five weeks now and have been a Tivo customer for 5+ years. So far I love Fios for their picture quality and internet speed. However, customer service so far has been a nightmare. We tried their DVR and have deemed it inadequate.

I am about to order a Tivo HD but am having problems getting Verizon to ship me cable cards. They are telling me they "can't" ship them and an installer must bring them to me for $79.99. So, who do I need to speak with to have them ship me cable cards so I can install them myself?

Thank you,
-Drew
drew7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #1451
TheBar1
Long Time Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew7777 View Post
So, who do I need to speak with to have them ship me cable cards so I can install them myself?
Drew - I'm pretty sure you are out of luck on that truckroll fee that Verizon charges for CC installs. Do yourself a favor, though, and ask if the Tech can bring you an M-Card as opposed to two S-Cards. The monthly fee is identical, so you could at least save a little on that.

I've observed increasingly positive (but still mixed) results with folks getting the M-Cards from Verizon now. As a two S-Card user, the only thing that is holding me back from an M-Card order is that expensive truckroll fee. Oh well!

Good luck!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Sony SAT-60 DirecTiVo [Est. 4/2001] (RIP 5/11/2004)
Philips DSR-708 DirecTiVo[Est. 5/2004] (RIP 8/31/07)
TiVo HD [Est. 2/2008]
TheBar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:27 AM   #1452
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
C'mon, Rich. Do it. You know you want to
Okay, okay. Not because of peer pressure mind you (well, maybe a little ). Comcast just had a rate increase and pushed our monthly over $200. Enough! I'm calling the tech I originally talked to (the one that was aware that TiVo's in the area needed a little attenuation on a certain frequency/band) and set up an appointment. Hope all goes well...wish me luck!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:32 AM   #1453
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Okay, okay. Not because of peer pressure mind you (well, maybe a little ). Comcast just had a rate increase and pushed our monthly over $200. Enough! I'm calling the tech I originally talked to (the one that was aware that TiVo's in the area needed a little attenuation on a certain frequency/band) and set up an appointment. Hope all goes well...wish me luck!
Yay!! Finally!!
David Platt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #1454
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Yay!! Finally!!
Be nice...I know where you live...well, sort of.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #1455
webin

'Bout dern time, Rich!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #1456
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by webin View Post
'Bout dern time, Rich!
Sigh.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #1457
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Attaboy. Welcome to the dark side

Seriously, I doubt you'll regret it.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:08 AM   #1458
slimjim867

Still no dual tuner functionality on S3?

Just checking.
Am I correct in assuming that as of today 2/5/09,
that the S3 still does not provide dual tuner functionality with one M card?
slimjim867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #1459
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim867 View Post
Just checking.
Am I correct in assuming that as of today 2/5/09,
that the S3 still does not provide dual tuner functionality with one M card?
That is correct. With regard to cable cards, TiVo Series3's still require two "S" or two "M" cable cards. Money says single "M" card functionality with Series3's will likely never happen.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #1460
adamt56

How is the picture quality when viewed through the TiVoHD box when compared to the Verizon provided STB ?
adamt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #1461
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt56 View Post
How is the picture quality when viewed through the TiVoHD box when compared to the Verizon provided STB ?
With my S3, I think the picture is just a tad better than it is with the FiOS STB. But both are head and shoulders above what I got with Comcast.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:21 AM   #1462
drew7777

Verizon Is Coming Today (Supposedly)

Verizon is supposed to come today to delivery my cable card(s). I have a TivoHD and I told the phone rep from Verizon that I needed either two S cards or just one M card. Am I correct in saying that? Will I be able to utilize the dual tuner functionality with just one M card?

I'm asking as I saw a post above regarding M card in a series3 Tivo.

Thanks!
-Drew
Old 02-11-2009, 09:00 AM   #1463
pilotbob

Quote:
Am I correct in saying that? Will I be able to utilize the dual tuner functionality with just one M card?
Yes with a TivoHD that is correct.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #1464
drew7777

Ahhh, Tivo, I love you!

The Fios tech showed up, had Maryland cable cards instead of Virginia ones? At any rate, he went to back to the office, swapped them, installed them, and I'm now back to normal with my Tivo.

The install was pretty straight forward; we followed the directions provided by Tivo and there were no hiccups (I had already downloaded program information and updated to the newest version of their software).

Anyone need an 80-hour Series2 Dual Tuner?

Thanks again everyone!
-Drew
Old 02-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #1465
drew7777

Cable cards are installed and working, but I have a couple of questions about things to expect.

1 - I'm getting a full gray screen for a second+ when switching channels. Is this typical?

2 - I tried leaving the Tivo set to Native resolution but when switching between channels and from channels to the Tivo Now Playing screen it would drop the signal and cause the TV (Panasonic TH-42PZ85U connected via HDMI) to display the input# and a black screen. I decided I would set the video format of the TivoHD to 1080i fixed and this has fixed that issue. Should I leave it at 1080i - will it cause problems on SD/ED stations? Is there any way around this - maybe using composite cables? What is recommended.

Thanks again!
-Drew
Old 02-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #1466
bkdtv

Quote:
Cable cards are installed and working, but I have a couple of questions about things to expect.

1 - I'm getting a full gray screen for a second+ when switching channels. Is this typical?
TiVo improved channel changing speed with the latest software. If you just installed your TiVo, it will still have the old software.

Every TiVo ships with the relatively slow v8.1.7 software from early 2007. Furthermore, all guide databases must be indexed in the background for the first ~48 hours after initial setup. The background indexing noticeably slows responsiveness during that period. Most users receive an update to the latest software (now 11.0) after about a week, and guide data must be re-indexed for another ~48 afters after that update, temporarily slowing responsiveness again. The TivoHD does not reach full responsiveness until 48-72 hours after the v11.0 install.

You can usually speed the software update process by forcing a few connections via Settings -> Phone & Network -> Connect to TiVo Service. Once your Phone & Network screen says "Pending Reboot," that means a software update is available for install. Normally, the TiVo would just reboot during the early morning hours to install the update, but you make that happen immediately by selecting Settings -> Restart or Reset System -> Restart the TivoHD. Software updates can take up to an hour to install.

Quote:
2 - I tried leaving the Tivo set to Native resolution but when switching between channels and from channels to the Tivo Now Playing screen it would drop the signal and cause the TV (Panasonic TH-42PZ85U connected via HDMI) to display the input# and a black screen. I decided I would set the video format of the TivoHD to 1080i fixed and this has fixed that issue. Should I leave it at 1080i - will it cause problems on SD/ED stations? Is there any way around this - maybe using composite cables? What is recommended.
If you use a native or hybrid output mode, the TiVo will change output resolutions on the fly, depending on the channel you are on. Displays do not change resolutions instantly; some can do it in 1-2 seconds and others can take 5-6 seconds.

If you used a fixed mode, all channels are converted to the same resolution for display, so you eliminate the resolution switching. If you do that, you are using the TiVo to process/upscale your SD channels rather than your TV.

If you are new to the TivoHD, be sure to see my tips post right here.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #1467
mae

Wink How did it go?

Quote:
Rich,

How did it go? Now the free (crummy) DVR promotion is over and a $150 rebate promo is on, I'm about to pull the trigger. After (of course) my daughter puts our name in for HER $150 promo!

I have to admit the with everything (currently) working with Comcast and the pixelation issues, I am a little scared. That's why I'm wondering how your switch went.

Thanks.

Mark
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #1468
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae View Post
Rich,

How did it go? Now the free (crummy) DVR promotion is over and a $150 rebate promo is on, I'm about to pull the trigger. After (of course) my daughter puts our name in for HER $150 promo!

I have to admit the with everything (currently) working with Comcast and the pixelation issues, I am a little scared. That's why I'm wondering how your switch went.

Thanks.

Mark
Hey Mark...hasn't happened just yet. I've been in and out of town and only just now has the dust settled enough for me to make an appointment. Wish I had good news for you. When I looked last week the "free" DVR for six months was still good...but I just found the $150 promo. That sounds much better (we don't need the VZ DVR of course).

I'm still wary about the pixelation issue but am dying for the improved PQ and big pipe broadband. Plus the more-or-less very same programming we have w/Comcast at $206 is about $120 from VZ...at least for the first year. Makes it almost a no-brainer!
Old 02-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #1469
mae

Don't forget the referral

Quote:
Hey Mark...hasn't happened just yet. I've been in and out of town and only just now has the dust settled enough for me to make an appointment. Wish I had good news for you. When I looked last week the "free" DVR for six months was still good...but I just found the $150 promo. That sounds much better (we don't need the VZ DVR of course).

I'm still wary about the pixelation issue but am dying for the improved PQ and big pipe broadband. Plus the more-or-less very same programming we have w/Comcast at $206 is about $120 from VZ...at least for the first year. Makes it almost a no-brainer!
Rich,

It will be about $85/month cheaper for me over the current Comcast/Verizon bills. Even more when the 6 month promo I begged from Comcast is over in 3 months!

If you haven't ordered yet, make sure some family or friend will get the $50 per service ($150) referral bonus for you. There is a web site they use to submit your name and if you sign up in 30 days, they get the credit. My daughter called me during the Oscars last night when she saw a commercial for the new promo. SHE can't wait for me to switch.

Looks like we'll be on about the same schedule.

Mark
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:33 PM   #1470
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae View Post
If you haven't ordered yet, make sure some family or friend will get the $50 per service ($150) referral bonus for you. There is a web site they use to submit your name and if you sign up in 30 days, they get the credit.
Ah, I hadn't gotten to the "$150 fine print" yet. I don't know of anyone that has FIOS at the moment. I'll have to think about that. Anyway, we can compare notes later!