Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post
Just an update to my earlier posts.
Thanks for that!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #1412
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Ah, yes. I have seen this but only in one specific situation. Only their CrAptiontek (I think I'll copyright that ) can do it.

I've had several different Linksys routers (all with DDWRT), and my laptop hooked up directly to the FIOS, none of them could do a release. That is to say, we could send the command, but trying to switch to another device, the new device would not be able to pull an IP.

When I have to troubleshoot with FIOS I put the CrAptiontek in as the primary router. When we're done and my internet is working again I can go in and do a release on the CrAptiontek and switch back to my Linksys. I've done that many times, and it does work.

I suppose it could be a minor bug in DDWRT.... but then that doesn't explain why XP can't release it.

Have you done the release with anything other than the CrAptiontek?
I'm almost possitive that I did a release from XP before renewing on my linux box.

We were troubleshooting initial connection problems (which turned out to be a screw-up on their end, when they bumped my speed from 5/2 to 10/2 they apparently input my info on the wrong switch and effectively cut off my service) we'd eleminate both my normal linux box router and their actiontek (which I'd dug out of storage) and were using XPs built in DHCP to try to eliminate variables.

Once we got it working I'm 99% sure I dropped the DHCP lease from my end before hooking my linux router back up.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:08 PM   #1413
SirWells

One of my HD channels (HDNETMovies) stopped working last night on one of my Tivos, while it works on the other. Do the cards in that box need to be hit? [EDIT: Two days later, the channel is now working. Who knows?]

There are also channels that do not appear on Verizon's guide, yet the Tivo picks up, however, I receive no picture or sound from those channels, just a gray screen. Maybe these are stations that will be added in the future?

Last edited by SirWells : 01-01-2009 at 12:04 PM.
SirWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:02 AM   #1414
naclone

just wanted to share my recent FiOS experience...

was a bit of a nightmare initially as my scheduled install window came and went with no tech appearance until several hours later. When the guy showed up he didn't have the cable cards i ordered, nor did he have his Verizon ID so my building staff would not grant him access to the basement. so, a totally wasted day for me. but i rescheduled.

I was porting my phone number over from another carrier and verizon assured me that despite missing my scheduled installation, my existing services would not be interrupted. Well, they were.

I called back and insisted they expedite the install for an earlier time than I had rescheduled, which they did. Sort of.

When i called to confirm a few days later, they didn't have the new date in the system. just the original reschedule.

Finally got a new install date/time (yesterday) and the guys showed up on time and quickly blew through a triple play install in about 2 hours.

despite telling the guy that i would not be using VOD or the verizon guide data and did not want to use the actiontec, they told me it wasn't optional and had to be installed.

the cable card process was a breeze and the only real hang up was fios not coming up as a provider for my zip code during guided setup so i just plugged in an alternate one.

so far so good with regard to pixelation (i haven't seen any despite running at about 36 SNR). I have some attenuators and supposedly there is a low-pass installed in the basement of the building. not sure if it is relevant or not but i noticed with RCN that the SNR was also around 36 and never had pixelation, so i am hoping that continues.

overall i'm very happy despite the initial frustration with scheduling. i've just found the NIM100 thread so i am interested in checking that out and possibly bypassing the actiontec in favor of my belkin n1.
naclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #1415
killzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by naclone View Post
despite telling the guy that i would not be using VOD or the verizon guide data and did not want to use the actiontec, they told me it wasn't optional and had to be installed.

Since you mentioned triple play, I assume you are getting internet access..

Unless you have another MoCA device or router, you need the actiontec for internet service.
killzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #1416
naclone

Quote:
Originally Posted by killzone View Post
Since you mentioned triple play, I assume you are getting internet access..

Unless you have another MoCA device or router, you need the actiontec for internet service.
well, i have a wireless router already so i was hoping they could use that instead since i just purchased it recently and have no need for MoCA.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:02 PM   #1417
webin

Quote:
Originally Posted by killzone View Post
Not entirely accurate. Internet can also be sent from the ONT to the router via Ethernet. Though it sounds like in this situation, running an ethernet cable from the basement to the user would be problematic... making the existing coax (moca) the best option.

What you can do is use your new wireless router as a secondary router, so the coax connects to the actiontec, and then you connect your router to that and run your computers from your own router. You'll want to look around this forum a bit for that discussion.
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #1418
naclone

didn't realize til i looked just now that the actiontec has both an ethernet cable running to it as well as coax. i thought it was just connected by ethernet.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:59 PM   #1419
socalclimber

Angry Verizon FIOS install experience and cablecard woes

I had FIOS Triple Play installed 2 weeks ago, and am happy with FIOS so far, and love the Internet speed 20/5 and HD Exteme TV. I don't mind the advertized price of $109 per month sans taxes(Claremont/Pomona, CA), except that I didn't know that the STB was NOT included in that price, nor have I gotten a bill yet, so I hope I'm not too surprised.

I also ordered a cablecard for my TivoHD. Installer came and did install, but did not bring any cablecards, nor did order say that I ordered a cablecard. And, he said that he never installs cablecards.

I call Verizon back and stated my frustrations that cablecard was lost in the order and they installed an HD DVR STB instead. After reading up on S-cards vs M-cards, I knew I wanted an M-card for my TivoHD, and Verizon is charging $3.99 per month for those.

I happen to be sick today, so don't mind being around for cablecard install at 10-12noon. No one shows, then they call 12:30PM and say they will be late. I happen to ask to confirm with installer that he is coming with a cablecard, and this should be an M-card, right? He is clueless and says that his order says to install a STB. I say "No," this is a cablecard install for my TivoHD. He says he'll get back to me.

4pm, installer shows up, and says his supervisor will be here shortly with the cablecard. I am hopeful. Supervisor finally shows up at 5pm with cablecard and one of them reads off serial number, and I copy that down (just in case). He inserts card into TivoHD slot#1, and I immediatey see card pop up in tivo screen, BUT it's an S-card!

I say, "that card is an S-card, and I ordered an M-card."

The supervisor says, "What's the difference?"

I say, "M-cards can decode 2 channels, and S-cards only 1 at a time."

He says, "Oh, let me check on that."

He calls his supervisor (at regional yard) and he says they can't get the M-cards (or maybe they choose not to). I ask if they can special order one, as I'd prefer NOT to pay the extra $3.99 per month for a second S-card. He talks with 2nd supervisor, and confirms that they don't have the M-cards, and they CANNOT or Will Not order one for me.

So, I'm frustrated with Verizon over this issue, and will likey just order 2x S-card and be done with it. I think Verizon is too big to give good service, or my service area is below par with rest of nation.

Frankly, I'm surprised that they say they can't get me an M-card, and I live in a suberb of LA-one of the largest cities in the US-so you would think that Verizon would have M-cards here??
socalclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:13 AM   #1420
richsadams

IIRC only a couple of other folks here have been able to get "M" cable cards from VZ. Apparently a majority of the areas they serve only have "S" cable cards.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #1421
Gregor

"Losing" cablecards on an install order is pretty common. My entire installation order got cancelled and I ended up spending quite a bit of time on the phone to get the mess resolved.

Once the installers came, they did a great job, they were very meticulous about getting all 6 cards up and working.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #1422
naclone

my original order was 2 S-cards since i have an S3 as well as an SD STB for my Tivo DT. On a subsequent confirmation call the rep indicated my order was 2 digital adaptors and an SD STB. I told her that i ordered cable cards and not digital adaptors and she said they were the same thing. On a later call when i was going through a bunch of scheduling mess i again tried to confirm my ordered equipment and was told i had 2 digital adaptors and an HD DVR. i told her it was supposed to be just an SD STB with no DVR. and then asked what exactly a digital adaptor was. She said it is the smaller box that looks like a modem - with no LED display. I told her that was not at all what i needed and what i had ordered was 2 cable cards. and that i prefered that they were S-cards since i needed two anyways for the S3. long story longer, what showed up was 2 M-Cards and an HD STB. luckily the guys had an SD box on the truck since the HD boxes are more expensive. The guys opened up the M-cards and knew that they were new but i didn't get the sense they knew what they did differently.

But i feel terrible i have 2 M-cards in my S3 when there are TiVo HD folks out there who can't get their hands on them.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #1423
ah30k

S-Cards are pretty much gone from all the companies inventories. They are not made anymore so don't feel bad about.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #1424
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
"Losing" cablecards on an install order is pretty common. My entire installation order got cancelled and I ended up spending quite a bit of time on the phone to get the mess resolved.

Once the installers came, they did a great job, they were very meticulous about getting all 6 cards up and working.
Yeah, to be fair - although I'm not sure "fair" is really the best word to use, it has been my experience that utility companies in general, and CATV companies specifically have a very hard time getting orders correctly from the customer's telephone call or office visit to the installer's hands. It's like a game of "Rumors". One of the more common complaints from CATV technicians when I worked for the local cable company was the volume of trouble calls that turned out to be nothing more than installation errors. Of course, sometimes it was an error solely on the part of the installer, but far more often than should have been the case, the error was in the instructions / work order given to the installer. With CableCards you now not only have that chronic issue, but you have - inexcusably in my estimation - a lack of training and familiarity with which to deal on top of the ordinary breakdowns in the chain of command.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #1425
DeWitt

Having now gone though three Fios installs with various family members I can say that the ordering and billing systems are horrible. Best bet is always to call back a second time and re confirm everything.

On the other hand the technicians that have arrived to do the installs have all been very very good. No comparison to the typical hacks the cable companies use.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #1426
jws74

Here's a cablecard installation from Gresham Oregon... I've been a FiOS TV subscriber since the beginning of December, and got a TiVo HD XL for Christmas. We've also had an older LCD tv with cablecard slot that I thought would be nice to finally get up and running without having a STB... so...

After waiting 3 weeks for the install appointment (!), the installer showed up at around 11:00 this morning, and we promptly got the TiVo up and running - no problem at all. It just worked.

The LG tv, however, wasn't as smooth. The phone people that the technician was talking to apparently didn't know what they were doing (sounded like all they did was verify the numbers, etc, and didn't pay any attention to the fact that there was no OOB data being received/sent).

After fighting with it for quite a while, I thanked the installer and let him leave. At least the TiVo was working, and I still had the second cablecard to work with as a "project".

I left the TV on for about an hour or so, and it started to report that it was getting OOB data. I called the FSC and had to convince them to just send a hit. (The term she used was 'warm reset' fwiw.) They sent the hit, and all of a sudden life was good and everything was working as intended.

I was really anticipating having a much longer appointment than that.

The technician said all he had were M-cards so there's another confirmation that that is all there is in Oregon.
jws74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #1427
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jws74 View Post
Here's a cablecard installation from Gresham Oregon... <snip>
Thanks for the post...all good info.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #1428
socalclimber

Oh where, oh where are my M-cards now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k View Post
S-Cards are pretty much gone from all the companies inventories. They are not made anymore so don't feel bad about.
Except here in the outskirts of the small town of Los Angeles (pomona/claremont), where I await the install in 2 weeks of my two S-cards for my TivoHD. It's strange that some areas ONLY have M-cards, and my VZ local yard said they can't get them...just a tad fishy!

I just got my first VZ bill, and can't wait to return the HD DVR STB and avoid the $15.99/month rental charge.
socalclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:35 PM   #1429
slocko

So I can replace my 4 S cards with 2 M cards and save 3.99 times 2?
Old 01-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #1430
SeanC
ECT

Only if you have a TivoHD, the original Series 3 must use 2 cards whether they are M or S.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #1431
pilotbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocko View Post
So I can replace my 4 S cards with 2 M cards and save 3.99 times 2?
Sure if you want to pay the $40 truck roll price.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #1432
slocko

I'm on a year contract so in 5 months i break even. And honestly, I don't see myself ditching Verizon any time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Sure if you want to pay the $40 truck roll price.

BOb

Old 01-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #1433
pilotbob

Quote:
I'm on a year contract so in 5 months i break even. And honestly, I don't see myself ditching Verizon any time soon.
I'm waiting till I get a second TiVo. since I will have to pay the price anyway. I will have them bring 2 M cards at that time. Till then, I'm not worried.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #1434
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Thanks for the post...all good info.
C'mon, Rich. Do it. You know you want to

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #1435
sardonux

I have the Verizon engineer here installing dual MCards in my S3 Tivo right now.

He said that here in the Metro Washington DC area, they don't carry the old SCards anymore. He also mentioned that quality/reliability of them is a big factor on avoiding using them. He is pretty good from a technical perspective, and has been very open to working with me on discovery to make sure everything is installed right.

It is a shame that [at least it sounds like] techs that come onsite vary in experience between geographic areas. I have had nothing but great success with FIOS here since almost 2 years ago when they started offering it and they trounce every other provider available on offerings.
sardonux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:23 PM   #1436
slocko

I thought with MCards you only needed one in your Tivo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardonux View Post
I have the Verizon engineer here installing dual MCards in my S3 Tivo right now.

He said that here in the Metro Washington DC area, they don't carry the old SCards anymore. He also mentioned that quality/reliability of them is a big factor on avoiding using them. He is pretty good from a technical perspective, and has been very open to working with me on discovery to make sure everything is installed right.

It is a shame that [at least it sounds like] techs that come onsite vary in experience between geographic areas. I have had nothing but great success with FIOS here since almost 2 years ago when they started offering it and they trounce every other provider available on offerings.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #1437
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
I thought with MCards you only needed one in your Tivo?
Not in the original S3. It was supposed to support multi-stream cards, but they weren't out yet when it was developed, and TiVo has seemingly abandoned their pledge to make them work. They only "work" in backwards-compatibility mode, as single-stream cards.

They work properly in the TiVo HD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #1438
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
... and TiVo has seemingly abandoned their pledge to make them work.
Where did TiVo pledge to make them work?
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #1439
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k View Post
Where did TiVo pledge to make them work?
Right on the back of the unit, for one place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #1440
slocko

ahhh, thxs for clearing that up.