TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #1351
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_man2 View Post
My Fios install on Christmas Eve morning went very well.
Thanks very much for the report...very encouraging!

How is your PQ? Are you seeing any issues?

Thanks again, enjoy and happy New Year!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:18 PM   #1352
Timber

Quote:
My Fios install on Christmas Eve morning went very well. While the installer and the guy he was training installed the ONT outside, and battery backup and power supply on the inside wall, I installed the Actiontec, HD DVR, and two HD set-top boxes.

The existing coax that had been connected to the Motorola cable modem (Comcast) was connected to the Actiontec, with cat5 to my Apple Time Capsule. When I went into the Airport utility to connect to the Actiontec, it recognized that the connection to the Time Capsule had changed, gave me a couple of options, including bridge mode which I selected, and we were up and running.

The cablecard install was a breeze too. I have two M-cards in my S3, and the installer was able to input the data and initialize the cards from his laptop. I re-ran guided setup, and later that evening did see that my season passes were all properly re-mapped to the new channels.

I have the 20/5 internet service, phone and HD Extreme bundle with the Home Media DVR and two HD set-top boxes, and my S3 with two M-cards and couldn't be more please with the service and the installation.
This IS very encouraging, I'm about 10 days away from my install (Cox to Verizon.) Is there a way to quickly force the remapping of season passes or does it just happen?

Thanks!

-=Tim=-

Last edited by Timber : 12-26-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #1353
Mchero
Almost old member

Quote:
My Fios install on Christmas Eve morning went very well. While the installer and the guy he was training installed the ONT outside, and battery backup and power supply on the inside wall, I installed the Actiontec, HD DVR, and two HD set-top boxes.

The existing coax that had been connected to the Motorola cable modem (Comcast) was connected to the Actiontec, with cat5 to my Apple Time Capsule. When I went into the Airport utility to connect to the Actiontec, it recognized that the connection to the Time Capsule had changed, gave me a couple of options, including bridge mode which I selected, and we were up and running.

The cablecard install was a breeze too. I have two M-cards in my S3, and the installer was able to input the data and initialize the cards from his laptop. I re-ran guided setup, and later that evening did see that my season passes were all properly re-mapped to the new channels.

I have the 20/5 internet service, phone and HD Extreme bundle with the Home Media DVR and two HD set-top boxes, and my S3 with two M-cards and couldn't be more please with the service and the installation.
Jay

Why two M-Cards? I'm running just one M-Card on my Comcast cable.

2 HD Tivo's with Comcast cable cards.
Sony Wega 50" LCD
Mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #1354
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchero View Post
Jay

Why two M-Cards? I'm running just one M-Card on my Comcast cable.
S3 - needs 2 cards regardless whether they're single or multi-stream.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #1355
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
This IS very encouraging, I'm about 10 days away from my install (Cox to Verizon.) Is there a way to quickly force the remapping of season passes or does it just happen?

Thanks!

-=Tim=-
Once the new lineup is downloaded and indexed the remapped SPs should be available immediately.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 12-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #1356
Timber

I know the tech will make the decision when he comes here but I'm curious about this.

At the point that phone service hits my house I have two connection mediums to my office which is where my computer is: either coax or Cat5. Which do y'all think they'll use for that connection?

-=Tim=-
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #1357
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It's their policy nowadays to use coax. But you should ask them to use cat5.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:09 PM   #1358
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post

Thanks!

-=Tim=-
It just happened, but it wasn't instantaneous. I don't know how long over a 12 hour period it took after running the Guided Setup.

There's no way that I found, other than deleting and recreating the season pass, to do it any faster. Since I'm in a lull period, with no shows queued in the To Do list, I could afford to wait.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #1359
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
S3 - needs 2 cards regardless whether they're single or multi-stream.
Exactly. To get two tuner functionality, the S3 needs two cards, whereas the TiVo HD supports one M-card to provide two tuner functionality.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:15 PM   #1360
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Thanks very much for the report...very encouraging!

How is your PQ? Are you seeing any issues?

Thanks again, enjoy and happy New Year!
The picture quality is excellent, and I've not experienced any issues. No pixelation or audio dropouts with the S3, like I had with Comcast.

And the internet service is great, with consistent up and download speeds. No more sharing bandwidth in the neighborhood, like with Comcast. Dedicated bandwidth, same as DSL service.

Last edited by jay_man2 : 12-27-2008 at 07:09 PM.
jay_man2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:07 AM   #1361
richsadams

Quote:
The picture quality is excellent, and I've not experienced any issues. No pixelation or audio dropouts with the S3, like I had with Comcast.

An the internet service is great, with consistent up and download speeds. No more sharing bandwidth in the neighborhood, like with Comcast. Dedicated bandwidth, same as DSL service.
Music to my ears...um, eyes!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #1362
SirWells

Another question. With Time Warner Cable, the only shows I could copy to my hard drive or send via MRV were the the basic stations, CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, PBS, etc. How is Verizon as far as blocking certain channels from being sent to other Tivo's for MRV or sending to a hard drive? I understand that premium channels won't work but Discovery or History Channel?

Last edited by SirWells : 12-27-2008 at 05:37 PM.
SirWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:06 PM   #1363
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWells View Post
Another question. With Time Warner Cable, the only shows I could copy to my hard drive or send via MRV were the the basic stations, CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC, PBS, etc. How is Verizon as far as blocking certain channels from being sent to other Tivo's for MRV or sending to a hard drive? I understand that premium channels won't work but Discovery or History Channel?
HBO is copy protected on my system. don't see restrictions on other premium channels. Discovery and HC have no restrictions.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:21 PM   #1364
SirWells

Just to clarify, if I did have coax running to the Actiontek, turned the Actiontek into a bridge to my DLink router, would I experience the same upload and download speeds as I would if I had Cat5 connected from the ONT directly to my DLink router?

I plan to ask the Verizon installer to give me a dedicated Cat5 line from the ONT. I just was curious in case he wouldn't do it...
Old 12-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #1365
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
At least in the Portland market, nothing is copy-protected. I've never run into a show I couldn't transfer. I just did an HBO program to make sure.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #1366
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Just to clarify, if I did have coax running to the Actiontek, turned the Actiontek into a bridge to my DLink router, would I experience the same upload and download speeds as I would if I had Cat5 connected from the ONT directly to my DLink router?
Bandwidth would be the same, but latency might be affected.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:20 AM   #1367
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
At least in the Portland market, nothing is copy-protected. I've never run into a show I couldn't transfer. I just did an HBO program to make sure.
Yep, MRV is no problem here...but I can't transfer HBO, Showtime and some programs to my computer due to copy protection.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #1368
SirWells

Quote:
Yep, MRV is no problem here...but I can't transfer HBO, Showtime and some programs to my computer due to copy protection.
I remember how excited my wife and I were were MRV was finally enabled and then we discovered we couldn't copy anything! Time Warner Cable red flagged everything except channels you'd pick up over their air. I'm so excited for my installation tomorrow!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:21 AM   #1369
SirWells

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Bandwidth would be the same, but latency might be affected.
I think I remember now about reading something on DSL Reports that the latency would be around 10 milliseconds. Regardless, I'm going to try my best to have the Verizon tech run me a dedicated Cat5 line.

I live in a garden apartment so there are multiple ONT boxes that are shared around the development. The ONT box that is closest to my set of buildings is literally on the outside all of my apartment. Probably the easiest install as the wiring would be minimal compared to other apartments in the complex. From what you have all said and even the person I spoke to with Verizon, these techs will do basically anything you ask them to. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #1370
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
That's really weird, since we're basically in the same market. I can transfer anything, including HBO/Showtime shows, to my computer with TiVo Desktop.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #1371
richsadams

Quote:
All connections for video are coax so the Actiontec isn't actually connected to anything except your other router and whatever hard-wired Ethernet devices you want to hang off of the Actiontec (via Cat 5/6). You split the coax coming from the ONT - one split goes to the Actiontec - the other to your STB and TiVo(s) via another splitter.
Reworked the proposed network...

Make sense? TIA!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:34 PM   #1372
richsadams

Quote:
That's really weird, since we're basically in the same market. I can transfer anything, including HBO/Showtime shows, to my computer with TiVo Desktop.
That is strange. I don't have my PC hooked up anymore, but copy protected shows showed up with the "no" symbol next to them on TiVo Desktop. Using iTiVo on my Mac copy protected recordings don't even show up.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #1373
SirWells

My Verizon installer is on his way. The only thing that's worrying me is he said he just got a crash course on how to install them from his boss, as he's never done a cablecard installation before! At least I know what to do on the Tivo end, hopefully this goes well!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #1374
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Reworked the proposed network...

Make sense? TIA!
Much better. No reason that shouldn't work

When are you pulling the trigger on the FIOS install?

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 12-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #1375
richsadams

Quote:
Much better. No reason that shouldn't work

When are you pulling the trigger on the FIOS install?
Thanks very much!

I'm still dragging my heals when it comes to the actual install. Many here are enjoying FIOS problem-free, but then others are experiencing different levels of frustration. I realize that when things are good people rarely join a forum to say so, but still. I'm one of those borderline perfectionists that fusses whenever A/V glitches occur. It makes my wife, um, uncomfortable when I say something in the middle of a movie or whatever.

To be honest, our Comcast setup (more or less what you see in the schematic) is working fine. I'm just hungry for better HD PQ and that big broadband pipe. Plus it'll save some money every month (for the first year or two anyway).

I'm really grateful for your and everyone's feedback here though. I discussed it with a VZ tech that was at a house down the street recently and starting spitting out all sorts of details that I'd picked up here. He said that he should just hand me the cable cards, attenuators and let me do the installation myself since it sounded like I knew as much or more than he did (in a very nice way). I don't think so! Who would I blame if something went wrong?

So I'm struggling with the "if it ain't broke..." syndrome. The fact that my wife is starting to hurt herself from rolling her eyes when I talk about it is getting a bit old though. Either way it's not making for a good and loving relationship with TiVo or my wife so I need to get off the fence/pot soon.

Thanks again!
Old 12-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #1376
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Thanks very much!

I'm still dragging my heals when it comes to the actual install. Many here are enjoying FIOS problem-free, but then others are experiencing different levels of frustration. I realize that when things are good people rarely join a forum to say so, but still. I'm one of those borderline perfectionists that fusses whenever A/V glitches occur. It makes my wife, um, uncomfortable when I say something in the middle of a movie or whatever.

To be honest, our Comcast setup (more or less what you see in the schematic) is working fine. I'm just hungry for better HD PQ and that big broadband pipe. Plus it'll save some money every month (for the first year or two anyway).

I'm really grateful for your and everyone's feedback here though. I discussed it with a VZ tech that was at a house down the street recently and starting spitting out all sorts of details that I'd picked up here. He said that he should just hand me the cable cards, attenuators and let me do the installation myself since it sounded like I knew as much or more than he did (in a very nice way). I don't think so! Who would I blame if something went wrong?

So I'm struggling with the "if it ain't broke..." syndrome. The fact that my wife is starting to hurt herself from rolling her eyes when I talk about it is getting a bit old though. Either way it's not making for a good and loving relationship with TiVo or my wife so I need to get off the fence/pot soon.

Thanks again!
You can always go for the FIOS broadband now and fuss over the TV later - that's what I did. At least that will get the ONT infrastructure in place - you can add the TV and CableCARDS/STB later and cancel within 14 days if you're not happy. The good news is that you can use the existing cabling. The bad news is if you need to cancel dealing with Verizon billing is another nightmare in itself.

I understand the WAF - been there done that. I can say that, despite some rare PQ issues, I don't regret making the move from Cablevision for a nanosecond.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 12-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #1377
naclone

I have verizon coming to do an install on Friday. I have an S3 and a DT, both of which currently connect wirelessly via a belkin N1 vision. a few questions in preparation of the install:

1. do i need to do anything before removing the RCN cable cards that are in the S3 now? or is it as simple as powering off the unit, taking them out and replacing them with the verizon cards and rerunning guided setup?

2. is there anyway i can get the verizon tech to set everything up so that I can still use the belkin N1 or will I have to reconfigure things myself after he's left (just wondering if their policy is to only set it up one way or if there is flexibility)?

3. what is the current best practice with regard to attenuation/diplexing? should i make sure the tech brings along equipment for this or should i just see how the install goes? it's difficult to ascertain whether the pixelation issue is universal or less widespread.

I've read all of this thread and the other fios thread, but a lot of it is still over my head unfortunately. any tips prior to the install would be greatly appreciated.

otherwise, i'll just hope for the best.

thanks!
naclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #1378
jay_man2
jay_man-also

Quote:
Originally Posted by naclone View Post
I have verizon coming to do an install on Friday. I have an S3 and a DT, both of which currently connect wirelessly via a belkin N1 vision. a few questions in preparation of the install:

1. do i need to do anything before removing the RCN cable cards that are in the S3 now? or is it as simple as powering off the unit, taking them out and replacing them with the verizon cards and rerunning guided setup?

When my install was done recently, we did not even power off the S3. I just pulled the old Comcast cards out, the FiOS tech installed the new cards, then we got the data off the screen for each card, he input the data into his laptop, and a few minutes later we were doing the channel test on both cards. Very easy.

After he left I reran guided setup, and later that evening all my season passes had properly been remapped to the new channel numbers.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:30 PM   #1379
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
That's really weird, since we're basically in the same market.
It's not weird. He's not on Fios. You're talking Fios, he's talking Comcast.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #1380
naclone

Quote:
When my install was done recently, we did not even power off the S3. I just pulled the old Comcast cards out, the FiOS tech installed the new cards, then we got the data off the screen for each card, he input the data into his laptop, and a few minutes later we were doing the channel test on both cards. Very easy.

After he left I reran guided setup, and later that evening all my season passes had properly been remapped to the new channel numbers.
thanks. sounds fairly painless.

anything else i should keep in mind? this kind of thing always stresses me out.
naclone is offline   Reply With Quote