TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #1321
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by webin View Post
If you are keeping any verizon set top boxes, the actiontec is supposedly needed for VOD, the STB's on-screen guide, and the silly widgets they offer. If you are using only tivo's, any router will do ya.
Sounds good. Of course no STB's for our TiVo's but I forgot to mention that I have a basic Comcast STB for EyeTV on my iMac. I don't care about VOD and EyeTV provides their own guide. I'd like to keep that going of course, so it sounds like I will need a VZ STB. Will that require the Actiontec to work? TIA for the assistance.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:21 PM   #1322
SirWells

So if you use the Actiontek (or whatever router Verizon gives you) when it's connected via coax, but attach your own router to it and disable the Actiontek's wireless settings, you should be just as good as if you had a Cat5 going directly to your router, right?
SirWells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #1323
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWells View Post
I read some posts on DSL Reports and some on here about the configuration you'd have to do on the Actiontek router in order to use your own router in conjunction with it. Some seem more detailed than others, what is it that a really need to do? Just turn off the wireless on the Actiontek? Do I need to do anything on my own DLink router? I just want wireless N...

Just turn off wireless and have a differnet IP range for the Dlink. That is all. And also set up a DMZ for the IP address the FIOS router hands out to the DLINK.
This is all I have done and it works perfectly with no problems.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:42 PM   #1324
SirWells

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Just turn off wireless and have a differnet IP range for the Dlink. That is all. And also set up a DMZ for the IP address the FIOS router hands out to the DLINK.
I'll need to find out how to set up the DMZ and different IP range... Anybody know how this is done?

I think I'm going to go about it this way...
Old 12-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #1325
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlen View Post
It wouldn't connect until I called tech support and had them release the Westell MAC address from the DHCP pool. Then the Airport connected and worked.
You don't actually have to call tech support for this if you don't want to.
The Actiontec has an option (I recall it being fairly easy to locate) to do a DHCP release.

If you do that before unhooking it you won't have to ring up tech support just to swap routers.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #1326
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
So my question is: is there an advantage to using VZ's Actiontec router over your own (or is it necessary in the FIOS setup - sounds like it is)? TIA!
It's free with the setup. It is necessary for set top boxes, unless you obtain a rather expensive alternative (the moto NIM100 units). That and the setup techs will not debug anything else besides the Actioncrap unit. It's not a bad router if you're only doing casual web surfing with only a couple of computers. Start cranking a lot of traffic, or needing fancier in-bound configurations and it's worth supplementing it.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #1327
SirWells

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
It's free with the setup. It is necessary for set top boxes, unless you obtain a rather expensive alternative (the moto NIM100 units). That and the setup techs will not debug anything else besides the Actioncrap unit. It's not a bad router if you're only doing casual web surfing with only a couple of computers. Start cranking a lot of traffic, or needing fancier in-bound configurations and it's worth supplementing it.
And supplementing with your own router it just as good as replacing it altogether (obviously if not using Verizon's VOD and menu)?
Old 12-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #1328
mae

Question Time for an "official" FIOS cablecard thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
There seem to be a bunch of us abandoning our cablecos (Comcast in my case) for FIOS. Like Rich, I know enough only to be dangerous.

I'd like to keep my current setup (the wireless reaches the whole house from the basement) using my trusty Linksys WRT54g and antennas with gain. I've never needed a DMZ and don't know if it goes on the Actiontec or my router.

Would someone please post their settings on the Actiontec and what needs to be set on the routers? Maybe it could be set up as a sticky or even move these discussions to an "official" FIOS thread with it at the top like we have for other providers.

What does everyone think?
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #1329
SirWells

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae View Post
There seem to be a bunch of us abandoning our cablecos (Comcast in my case) for FIOS. Like Rich, I know enough only to be dangerous.

I'd like to keep my current setup (the wireless reaches the whole house from the basement) using my trusty Linksys WRT54g and antennas with gain. I've never needed a DMZ and don't know if it goes on the Actiontec or my router.

Would someone please post their settings on the Actiontec and what needs to be set on the routers? Maybe it could be set up as a sticky or even move these discussions to an "official" FIOS thread with it at the top like we have for other providers.

What does everyone think?
I'm with you!
Old 12-23-2008, 03:15 PM   #1330
richsadams

Quote:
Would someone please post their settings on the Actiontec and what needs to be set on the routers?
That would be great! That and a schematic showing the setup if you want to (mostly) keep your existing network would be very welcome.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #1331
mae

"official" thread

I PM'ed Dan about setting up an "official" thread. I suggested that this thread could be designated since it already has a fair amount of info. By listing it with the other official threads, newbies would find it faster.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #1332
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
That would be great! That and a schematic showing the setup if you want to (mostly) keep your existing network would be very welcome.
Something like this, perhaps?

The network

This is an admittedly busy schematic of my actual setup. It has a mix of just about all possibilities with a FIOS setup. Note the split before the STB when using a NIM - the NIM seems to strip out the MOCA required by the STB. If you want to hang all of your hardwired stuff off of your router feel free. I actually have a few switches in the mix but I left them out for the sake of clarity. My PC's aren't really relevant for this excercise.

Otherwise, pick one that you need. YMMV.

Turning off wireless in the Actiontec

If you'd like to see something additional or need clarification let me know and I'll fix the pictures or add whatever I can.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:57 PM   #1333
mae

wiring diagram

Rocko,

Thanks. That's great.

I do have a few questions.

1) Should the jumper go from a LAN port on the Actiontec to a LAN port or the WAN port on the router?
2) What's the default address on the Actiontec? I have some printers with static IPs and if the DHCP server is other than 192.168.1.1, they'll have to be reset to be within the Actiontec's range.
3) Does a DMZ need to be set up? How?
4) Some of the house wiring is old RG-59 (but not the main split that now goes to a cable modem). How robust is the FIOS signal and MOCA? I have a Motorola bidirectional amp, will it work or need to be removed?

BTW, this thread will be linked as the "official" thread in the sticky at the top.

Mark
Old 12-24-2008, 01:27 AM   #1334
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
If you'd like to see something additional or need clarification let me know and I'll fix the pictures or add whatever I can.
Awesome! You rock! I'll study it and if I get confused (it could happen ) I'll let you know. Thanks very, very much!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #1335
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Rocko,

Thanks. That's great.

I do have a few questions.

1) Should the jumper go from a LAN port on the Actiontec to a LAN port or the WAN port on the router?
2) What's the default address on the Actiontec? I have some printers with static IPs and if the DHCP server is other than 192.168.1.1, they'll have to be reset to be within the Actiontec's range.
3) Does a DMZ need to be set up? How?
4) Some of the house wiring is old RG-59 (but not the main split that now goes to a cable modem). How robust is the FIOS signal and MOCA? I have a Motorola bidirectional amp, will it work or need to be removed?

BTW, this thread will be linked as the "official" thread in the sticky at the top.

Mark
1) My jumper goes from LAN port to LAN port
(not WAN on your router)
2) The default on the Actiontec is 192.168.1.1 - you're in luck
3) I just turn off the firewall on my Linksys. This effectively makes all ports a DMZ.
4) FIOS is notoriously "hot". As you can see I have mine split 3 times in one place. My wiring has been around for over 10 years and handles it fine. You will most likely not need the amp.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 12-24-2008, 09:06 AM   #1336
igrok

Rocko, great diagram!

I just wanted to confirm that the tivos being fed from the nim100s, which get their ether pre-actiontec, are still being given DHCP from the actiontek so that their ether connection is fine. That is, I currently have mine set up as follows:

ONT>coax to splitter

>splitter-output-1>actiontek>ether to bridged router and switch>tivos and computers

>splitter-output-2>splitter>coax to all tivos

So all the tivos are getting coax essentially straight from the ONT, and getting ether and DHCP through the actiontec.

Putting a NIM-100 before each tivo, I can just have the single coax coming in to the NIM-100, which then will feed separately a coax and ether to the tivo. But since the ether has not gone "through" the actiontec, do the tivos still get DHCP from the actiontec so as to be accessible to each other and my computers? I guess my question is whether the actiontec can see the tivos in this topology?
igrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #1337
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrok View Post
Rocko, great diagram!

I just wanted to confirm that the tivos being fed from the nim100s, which get their ether pre-actiontec, are still being given DHCP from the actiontek so that their ether connection is fine. That is, I currently have mine set up as follows:

ONT>coax to splitter

>splitter-output-1>actiontek>ether to bridged router and switch>tivos and computers

>splitter-output-2>splitter>coax to all tivos

So all the tivos are getting coax essentially straight from the ONT, and getting ether and DHCP through the actiontec.

Putting a NIM-100 before each tivo, I can just have the single coax coming in to the NIM-100, which then will feed separately a coax and ether to the tivo. But since the ether has not gone "through" the actiontec, do the tivos still get DHCP from the actiontec so as to be accessible to each other and my computers? I guess my question is whether the actiontec can see the tivos in this topology?
The answer is yes. The coax doesn't go "through" the Actiontec but it is connected. This is effectively how mine is set up, lousy picture aside. Everything on the network, TiVos included, get their IP served up by the Actiontec. Note the connection type is COAX on one of the NIM connected TiVos - just like the Verizon STB.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 12-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #1338
igrok

Excellent! I just bought a three-pack of NIM100s for $88 on ebay, and plan to put them in front of my tivos. Since one of them is using the wireless adapter, I can return that, and just cry over the time I spent running ether to my other units.

I also wonder whether you've had any pixelation issues like some of us. With all the suggestions of attenuators, and diplexers or low pass filters (as suggested by verizon itself), I'm wondering whether this separation of the ether and coax by the NIM will fix the problem. In any event, passing the tv and ether by one cable will help me clean up some wiring. Do you find that the NIMs attenuate the signal at all?
igrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #1339
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrok View Post
Excellent! I just bought a three-pack of NIM100s for $88 on ebay, and plan to put them in front of my tivos. Since one of them is using the wireless adapter, I can return that, and just cry over the time I spent running ether to my other units.

I also wonder whether you've had any pixelation issues like some of us. With all the suggestions of attenuators, and diplexers or low pass filters (as suggested by verizon itself), I'm wondering whether this separation of the ether and coax by the NIM will fix the problem. In any event, passing the tv and ether by one cable will help me clean up some wiring. Do you find that the NIMs attenuate the signal at all?
Not at all. The backward diplexer trick has helped with most of the uncorrected errors with my S3, however. BTW, good buy on the NIMs. I bribed my Verizon installer with beer and got 2 free

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 12-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #1340
mae

Rocko-Thanks!

Rocko,

Thanks. That should make it easy. I'll just change the address on the Linksys to something higher and everything else should work.

Some of my RG-59 is thirty years old, but was pretty high quality and physically seems fine, no cracking. It wouldn't be easy to replace, since I've finished off a lot of the access and I'm not as young as I was back then.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Mark
Old 12-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #1341
richsadams

Quote:
How does this look? I'd use the same settings as you suggested on the Actiontec and the wireless router...unless I don't need to have a static IP (kind of a pain). The only unknown (for me) is the STB connection for my computer (currently using Comcast STB/WinTV HVR950/EyeTV). TIA!

Last edited by richsadams : 12-24-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #1342
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
How does this look? I'd use the same settings as you suggested on the Actiontec and the wireless router...unless I don't need to have a static IP (kind of a pain). The only unknown (for me) is the STB connection for my computer (currently using Comcast STB/WinTV HVR950/EyeTV). TIA!

All connections for video are coax so the Actiontec isn't actually connected to anything except your other router and whatever hard-wired Ethernet devices you want to hang off of the Actiontec (via Cat 5/6). You split the coax coming from the ONT - one split goes to the Actiontec - the other to your STB and TiVo(s) via another splitter.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 12-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #1343
richsadams

Quote:
All connections for video are coax so the Actiontec isn't actually connected to anything except your other router and whatever hard-wired Ethernet devices you want to hang off of the Actiontec (via Cat 5/6). You split the coax coming from the ONT - one split goes to the Actiontec - the other to your STB and TiVo(s) via another splitter.
Got it, thanks...I was concentrating on the network connections...didn't include the coax connections to TiVo's and the STB. Those already exist as well. Thanks very much!
Old 12-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #1344
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Got it, thanks...I was concentrating on the network connections...didn't include the coax connections to TiVo's and the STB. Those already exist as well. Thanks very much!
I was commenting since I saw a CAT5/6 connection from the Actiontec to the STB which doesn't belong. Also the connection from the ONT to the Actiontec is not CAT5/6 - as your footnote/legend suggests.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
Old 12-24-2008, 12:29 PM   #1345
richsadams

Quote:
I was commenting since I saw a CAT5/6 connection from the Actiontec to the STB which doesn't belong. Also the connection from the ONT to the Actiontec is not CAT5/6 - as your footnote/legend suggests.
Good catch...my mistake. Those connections s/b denoted as Coax. Thanks again!
Old 12-24-2008, 11:43 PM   #1346
Dmon4u
Unresponsive User

For those interested, a (very) simple FiOS STB vs TiVo or Media Center review:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/12/24...hd-dvr-review/
I deeply appreciate all well-wishers.
Dmon4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #1347
teasip

No problems on my end with putting the AE before the ActionTec with regard to FiOS VOD/guide data, etc..
teasip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:59 PM   #1348
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip View Post
No problems on my end with putting the AE before the ActionTec with regard to FiOS VOD/guide data, etc..
Try using a set top box for video on demand while simultaneously doing a lot of downloading from a computer. The actiontec will throttle the computer traffic so it doesn't overrun the VoD. But considering how crappy the STBs are too use, it's not like anyone smart enough to rearrange their routers is going to be bothering with the STBs.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #1349
teasip

Usually not an issue at my house since I don't download a lot of material, and almost never doing so while infrequently watching VOD. For me, the easiest approach was the AE then the AT. I've still got my original NIM100 in the closet for whenever I pull the trigger and give up on the Verizon HD-DVR (waiting on M card availability first in N. Texas). I've even got the attenuator pack in case that is needed as well.
teasip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #1350
jay_man2
jay_man-also

My Fios install on Christmas Eve morning went very well. While the installer and the guy he was training installed the ONT outside, and battery backup and power supply on the inside wall, I installed the Actiontec, HD DVR, and two HD set-top boxes.

The existing coax that had been connected to the Motorola cable modem (Comcast) was connected to the Actiontec, with cat5 to my Apple Time Capsule. When I went into the Airport utility to connect to the Actiontec, it recognized that the connection to the Time Capsule had changed, gave me a couple of options, including bridge mode which I selected, and we were up and running.

The cablecard install was a breeze too. I have two M-cards in my S3, and the installer was able to input the data and initialize the cards from his laptop. I re-ran guided setup, and later that evening did see that my season passes were all properly re-mapped to the new channels.

I have the 20/5 internet service, phone and HD Extreme bundle with the Home Media DVR and two HD set-top boxes, and my S3 with two M-cards and couldn't be more please with the service and the installation.