Old 11-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #1262
markp750

Thank you. Fantastic. I'll be there.

Mark P.
markp750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #1263
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

You want NASA TV, see HME/VLC (in my sig). But yeah, for shuttle launches I'd recommend HDNet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #1264
tdel73

can you watch shows on demand with fios and Tivo?
tdel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #1265
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo doesn't support Fios' VOD, but they have their own (more or less), via TiVoCasts and Amazon Unbox (now just called Amazon VOD, I think). Plus Netflix soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #1266
tdel73

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
TiVo doesn't support Fios' VOD, but they have their own (more or less), via TiVoCasts and Amazon Unbox (now just called Amazon VOD, I think). Plus Netflix soon!

cool thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #1267
scotthoffman1977

I have two Series 2 TiVo's (one 40-hour and the other 80-hour w/dual tuner) and was scheduled for a Verizon Fios install this morning. I don't currently have HD nor did I order it. The salesman that I dealt with assured me both my TiVo's would work and that he was ordering "cable cards" for both of them.

The technician that came out to install this morning said there's nowhere on either Series 2 to insert the cable card.

A) Is this true, and B) is there an alternative to ditching the TiVo's? Any help would be appreciated!!!
scotthoffman1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #1268
Jasper

Only the Series 3 Tivo's have cable card slots. You would need to use Verizon's set top box w/ your Series 2 Tivo's just like you did w/ cable.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #1269
scotthoffman1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
Only the Series 3 Tivo's have cable card slots. You would need to use Verizon's set top box w/ your Series 2 Tivo's just like you did w/ cable.
Thanks for the input. The problem for me was the IR cables didn't work well and (just like Comcast) Verizon doesn't support TiVo's box controlling theirs.

Man...it looks like I'm going to have to shelve my TiVo's for their multi-room viewing DVR system.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:56 AM   #1270
Jasper

I would seriously consider upgrading to the Series 3 Tivo. It ends up being more expensive in the beginning but over time you would re-coup your money plus be ready to upgrade to HD. From what I have heard the FIOS DVR's suck and don't have nearly the recording capacity that you can get w/ a Tivo.

Check out this thread reference using an HDTivo for non-HD tv:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=410653
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #1271
Ziggy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
I would seriously consider upgrading to the Series 3 Tivo. It ends up being more expensive in the beginning but over time you would re-coup your money plus be ready to upgrade to HD. From what I have heard the FIOS DVR's suck and don't have nearly the recording capacity that you can get w/ a Tivo.

Check out this thread reference using an HDTivo for non-HD tv:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=410653
I thought they were doing away with series 3, I would go for TivoHD unit and it is cheaper than S3 I believe.
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:06 AM   #1272
webin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthoffman1977 View Post
The problem for me was the IR cables didn't work well
Really? I used the Verizon set top box to control my Series 2 for several months (before upgrading to TivoHD and an HDTV), and never had any issues whatsoever. I tested it with both IR Blasters and a serial connection, and neither gave any trouble. Do NOT shelve tivo because of a minor issue like this. You can make them work.
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #1273
scotthoffman1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by webin View Post
Really? I used the Verizon set top box to control my Series 2 for several months (before upgrading to TivoHD and an HDTV), and never had any issues whatsoever. I tested it with both IR Blasters and a serial connection, and neither gave any trouble. Do NOT shelve tivo because of a minor issue like this. You can make them work.
I didn't test the IR leads on the Verizon STB, but with Comcast's box they "misfired" about 50% of the time. Neither Comcast's nor Verizon's box allow themselves to be controlled via serial connection.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #1274
webin

Don't confuse the set top box with the digital adapter. The digital adapter (DCT-700) is a small sleek thing with no LED numbers on the front. I never used one from Verizon, but had one with Comcast with no IR Blaster trouble. These don't have a means for serial control.

The set top box (http://www22.verizon.com/residential...ls.htm?Media=3) is much more robust, and is serial controllable (but even then, I opted for IR Blasters).
Old 11-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #1275
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I have no problem controlling the DCT-700 with my TiVo 540, although it is a little slow. And I recommend not doing anything else with the remote until the channel is actually changed.

Don't just assume that bad performance with Comcast's box will translate to Verizon's.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #1276
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

My 2 S2s control the SD Verizon STBs (Moto QIP-2500 I believe) just fine. IR blasters work fine. Serial control is fine unless you try to tune to a 4 digit channel - that is above chanel 999. FWIW, lots of other folks have reported no problem controlling the low-end DCT700 as well.

I also seem to remember one of my S2s controlled the HD STB fine - for the short period I had one.

Be patient when running Guided Setup and you'll be OK with Verizon STBs and your S2.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #1277
rcji

Can anyone confirm if the M Cards are available in the New York area? I called Verizon about it and they either told me they don't know anything about it or they just heard about it and don't know when it will be available.
rcji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #1278
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

FWIW, verizon came out and put an M-card into my new TivoHD. I inquired as to whether he had any others on him. He did, and we replaced the two S-cards with one M-card in my other TivoHD. Now to go wrestle with billing for them.

Oh, and when I asked to switch from Moca internet (coax) to ethernet they've totally bungled it. Now I've got neither coax nor ethernet. Three different calls now and the finger-pointing between departments goes on. FIOS, great technology operated by an utterly incompetent bureaucracy.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #1279
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
My 2 S2s control the SD Verizon STBs (Moto QIP-2500 I believe) just fine. IR blasters work fine. Serial control is fine unless you try to tune to a 4 digit channel - that is above chanel 999.
I had absolutely nothing by trouble with my S2 and a QIP-2500. Serial just wouldn't work at all (it did, for about 2 days). IR was unreliable. That and the box would just HANG all the time. No thanks. I switched to a TivoHD with an M-card and it's working great. Even better, the TivoHD downconverts the HD stations to display on the old CRT TV I'm using for it.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #1280
nugga22

Swapping TiVo Boxes

I've been looking at getting a lifetime subscription for a while now, but never had a decent opportunity. My parents want a TiVoHD and TiVoHD is offering a decent package which includes a lifetime subscription. Could I just swap my TiVoHD with the new box which has the lifetime subscription without having Verizon come out to reinstall the cable cards? I'd just give my parents my old TiVoHD with a gift card for service while keeping the new box with the lifetime plan. If switching the boxes will be too much of a hassle, I guess I'll just keep looking for other options. Thanks for any advice!
nugga22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #1281
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

I swapped the cablecards from one TivoHD with a new one and they both worked fine. This was to test that the wiring was setup properly before the FIOS tech came out to deliver some new cards for it. This was also within the same house, not moved from anywhere else.

I believe the system is "supposed to" be tied to the cards AND the box, but mine worked fine. YMMV, of course but it can't hurt to try it first. Even if it does fail you should be able to call them to make the change. Near as I can tell, a truck roll is only "required" because of high failure rates with the cards (or the slots in the units). Once you have a working card and slot for it the rest can be handled over the phone. I know, I did this once when for some reason mine got confused. They deleted the existing config and reprogrammed it based on my reciting the various numbers to them over the phone. Worked fine
Old 12-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #1282
tdel73

now that FIOS is carrying the MLB extra innings package, will you be able to get that with Tivo? I know with Cablevision you couldn't because of the cable cards...
Old 12-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #1283
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I swapped the cablecards from one TivoHD with a new one and they both worked fine. This was to test that the wiring was setup properly before the FIOS tech came out to deliver some new cards for it. This was also within the same house, not moved from anywhere else.

I believe the system is "supposed to" be tied to the cards AND the box, but mine worked fine. YMMV, of course but it can't hurt to try it first. Even if it does fail you should be able to call them to make the change. Near as I can tell, a truck roll is only "required" because of high failure rates with the cards (or the slots in the units). Once you have a working card and slot for it the rest can be handled over the phone. I know, I did this once when for some reason mine got confused. They deleted the existing config and reprogrammed it based on my reciting the various numbers to them over the phone. Worked fine
Verizon does not pair the cards with the device. Once your card is authorized, you should be able to swap it out and place it in any device. I know I have a swap my cards around quite a few times since I have gotten them.
Scyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:50 PM   #1284
acroswel

I recently switched from DirecTV (with DirecTivos) to FIOS and after trying out their DVR, I'm going back to Tivo. Ordered TivoHDs and just called Verizon to order the cable cards. Based on information here I assumed I was going to have to pay for a truck roll, but without any prompting the CSR said she was UPSing them to me and I'd get them in 3-5 days...
acroswel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #1285
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

They frequently say that, but it turns out not to be true. It's a bug in their system -- it looks to them like they can mail you cards, but the order gets blocked somewhere further down the line. And apparently it is actually Verizon's policy not to mail cards.

You may still be able to get them delivered without being charged for it, though.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #1286
acroswel

Update to my last post. It's just as wmcbrine thought. Someone from Verizon actually showed up at my house only about 30-40 minutes after I called to order the cards. Fortunately my wife was at home, but my new Tivos (ordered yesterday) weren't yet... I NEVER would have guessed someone would be sent so fast. I'll have to call and schedule something once the Tivos arrive.
acroswel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #1287
webin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroswel View Post
about 30-40 minutes after I called
WOW! I wish the billing department worked that fast.... I'm at 6 months and counting to get the bundle price I ordered.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #1288
MapleLeaf

I'm looking to move to FiOS for both my internet and TV (from Verizon DSL and Comcast, respectively), and have been trying to educate myself on what exactly the move to FiOS will entail. I've been doing some MSN Live'ing (that doesn't roll off the tongue quite as nicely as "googling", does it? ) to educate myself a bit, but I'm a newbie at this, so please forgive me if I've gotten some of the terminology or concepts wrong.

First off, I want to use my own router and forego the Actiontec router that Verizon provides. So my understanding is that I will need to request that Verizon reconfigures the ONT to pass data through the ethernet interface instead of the MoCA (coax) interface, which is apparently the default. Once I've done that, I can set aside the Actiontec router and hook up the ONT's ethernet interface to the WAN port of pretty much any modern router I choose and, at least for internet connectivity, it should "just work". Is that correct? And if all I wanted was internet and didn't care to have TV, I would be done, right?

So now let's throw TV into the mix. For TV, I would normally require both a video signal as well as a data signal. The latter would be for features such as guide data, on-demand, and PPV, which would all be encapsulated in an STB. However, I don't plan on getting any Verizon STB's and instead will be feeding all TV signals to either an S3 or a THD. Given that, do I have to worry about supplying a data signal? I would think I would just be able to connect the ONT's MoCA interface to a coax splitter and from there, feed individual coax lines to my various S3 and THD units throughout the house.

If for some reason I really wanted/needed to provide a data signal, then since I've re-routed the data signal from the ONT's MoCA interface to its ethernet interface, that's when things would get complicated. At that point, I'd have to re-introduce the Actiontec router back into the mix (by placing it behind my primary router). However, I'm hoping I can avoid having to do that.

So in summary, what I want to do is provide FiOS internet and TV to my house, with the caveats that I want to provide my own router and I don't believe that I require data for TV. Given that, I believe the key is simply to ensure that Verizon re-configures the ONT to pass data through its ethernet interface instead of its MoCA interface. After that, I simply connect my own router to the ONT's ethernet interface and I connect my S3's/THD's to the ONT's MoCA interface. Does that sound right? Is it really that simple?

Oh, and a few other points. First, I understand I'll have to swap out the Comcast-provided cable cards in my S3's/THD's with Verizon-provided ones (hopefully with multi-stream cards for the THD's). Should I expect any complications with performing such a swap-out? Second, do I have any choice over where Verizon will install the ONT (and accompanying BBU)? Ideally, I'd like it installed in the house close to my structured wiring centre, but much of what I've read seems to indicate that it needs to be installed outside of the house so that Verizon techs can gain access to it whenever they want.

Thanks!
MapleLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #1289
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

If you're not using any FIOS TV set top boxes then you do not need the Actiontec router. If you use any Verizon TV boxes then you will need to provide a Moca network connection for them. You could do this by setting up the Actiontec as a bridge and still use your own router. My advice, get the Actiontec but have it set up using CAT5 ethernet and not coax Moca. Then when the techs leave, put your own router on their instead and save the Actiontec for whenever you actually need Moca (perhaps never).

There is such a thing as a CAT5 to Moca converter. The Motorola NIM-100 does it. And they used to supply them before using the Actiontec.

As for switching from Moca to ethernet, it's done over the phone. The Moca light goes out and the ethernet one lights up. Just had mine changed 2 weeks ago. My actiontec has been boxed up and a Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT took its place.

They generally put the ONT next to wherever your current phone box is located outside. They then run wire into the house to the battery backup box. I don't think you can get the ONT installed inside a residence. They can run the CAT5 from the ONT into your structured wiring center. I ran my own CAT6 wire from my rack out to the ONT, mainly to save time on the install (and keep some phone tech from mucking about with my rack).
Old 12-10-2008, 02:44 AM   #1290
Dmon4u
Unresponsive User

Actually, they have been installing the ONT's inside (basements typically) for years now. I have mine and 3 neighbors have theirs that way !
I deeply appreciate all well-wishers.
Dmon4u is offline   Reply With Quote