Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #1231
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmanus View Post
Verizon cable cards. <snip>
Welcome to the forum! Per Jonathan's note, the VZ rep obviously knew little about the subject matter. "M" cards are bigger than "S" cards?!

In any case as long as the tech they send out isn't the same guy you should be fine. Give him the TiVo HD cable card installation sheet or the Series3 installation sheet (not sure which you have) that came with your TiVo, make sure he follows it (in particular make sure he/she installs and pairs cable card 1 first and then 2...trying to activate them both at the same time is the most common mistake) and everything should be fine.

With regard to the $79 truck roll charge, IIRC others here have pushed back, cajoled and/or threatened VZ and had the charge reduced or waived. YMMV.

Feel free to report back!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:18 AM   #1232
webin

<removed my snarky reply to a spammer>

Last edited by webin : 10-30-2008 at 11:19 AM.
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 PM   #1233
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by webin View Post
<removed my snarky reply to a spammer>
Oh come on...where's the fun in that?
Old 10-31-2008, 08:50 PM   #1234
eddietr

Well, I'm about to give up

Well, I'm about to give up after 6 months of S3 + FIOS.

All was fine for about 4 months with 2 M cards. But for the past two months one of the two cards will stop working every couple of days. Then I restart the TiVo or call and have the card "pinged" and that card will work again.

And then invariably a day or two later the other one will stop. So effectively I'm restarting our TiVo 3 times a week and more importantly I'm losing a lot of shows.

So Verizon replaced both M cards. Then we replaced the TiVo. And still the same behavior.

Which is strange considering all was well was for 4 months. Very frustrating.

So I guess the plan now is to go with our antenna and iTunes for a while. No sense in paying for service when half our cable shows don't tape anyway.
eddietr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 PM   #1235
moneytrain8

I had Fios installed on Tuesday. I have two TiVo HD boxes. It was beautiful.

When Comcast came out 18 months ago, it literally took 6 visits to get my cable cards working correctly. Each one was hours long, with some 47 IQ contractor on the phone with a 48 IQ dispatcher who couldn't seem to get Comcast's Enigma-esque codes in place to give me the channels I paid for. Each time met with some new act of idiocy and miscommunication. It still didn't fully work even after that, I was missing channels - luckily they were the crappy ones I didn't care about and not the HD ones.

ANYWAY... Verizon came out at 9 a.m... I had phone, Internet and Extreme HD in under 3 hours. He had the cable cards activated in minutes, which was made super easy by a thumb drive that allowed him to activate via my computer. I have all my channels, the TiVo works beautifully. I have tons of HD channels with dozens more to come in the net 60 days.

Comcast... are you listening? Get rid of the dolt subcontractors and use Comcast employees (the Comcast cable cards only worked after a visit form a real Comcast employee).

I'm sure people have horror stories about Verizon. I had a great tech who knew what he was doing... but I have heard plenty of good Verizon stories, which I nearly NEVER hear about Comcast installs.
moneytrain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:35 AM   #1236
richsadams

Verizon installed all of the fiber optics, etc. in our neighborhood back in June and I've been waiting for them to let me know when FIOS was available but I hadn't heard from them (expecting a flyer, letter or something). This morning I was out walking the dog on the next street over when I spied a VZ truck with a repairman pulling some equipment out of the back. I stopped and asked him if/when FIOS would be available at my house? He said he was installing it for my neighbor and that it might be available for our house already. I asked him if he had any dealings with TiVo's and he told me that he had and that they had one particular frequency that was "too hot" and required attenuation. He also said that they had just started receiving "M" cable cards and that seemed to cure the problem. He started to explain attenuation, cable cards and such and I told him that I'd been following this forum and what I had learned (thanks to the brilliant contributors here ). He looked a little stunned, smiled and said that I seemed to know as much as he did and that he should hand me the equipment and let me do the install myself. Well, I don't know that much I told him.

He took my address and phone and said he'd check on availability on his laptop when he was done with his current installation. He called back in about two hours and said that he had confirmation that our house was ready. But then... After reading so many pro's and con's here I'm still on the fence. Right now I have Comcast and it's okay, but I would really love to have all of the uncompressed HD channels as well as the huge broadband pipe.

It's decision time I guess. I suppose I can wait, but I'm not sure why other than I'd hope that things will get better with regard to attenuation. If they have "M" cards now that might be the key. Hmmmm...what to do.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:49 AM   #1237
moneytrain8

Rich... They put M cards in my two TiVos this week, although you and I are in slightly different areas.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #1238
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneytrain8 View Post
Rich... They put M cards in my two TiVos this week, although you and I are in slightly different areas.
And it sounds like everything is as it should be. No attenuation, no problems?
Old 11-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #1239
JacksTiVo
TiVo User since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Verizon installed all of the fiber optics, etc. in our neighborhood back in June and I've been waiting for them to let me know when FIOS was available but I hadn't heard from them (expecting a flyer, letter or something). This morning I was out walking the dog on the next street over when I spied a VZ truck with a repairman pulling some equipment out of the back. I stopped and asked him if/when FIOS would be available at my house? He said he was installing it for my neighbor and that it might be available for our house already.
He took my address and phone and said he'd check on availability on his laptop when he was done with his current installation. He called back in about two hours and said that he had confirmation that our house was ready. But then... After reading so many pro's and con's here I'm still on the fence. Right now I have Comcast and it's okay, but I would really love to have all of the uncompressed HD channels as well as the huge broadband pipe.

It's decision time I guess. I suppose I can wait, but I'm not sure why other than I'd hope that things will get better with regard to attenuation. If they have "M" cards now that might be the key. Hmmmm...what to do.
Rich,
Visit the Verizon FiOS Web site and enter your zipcode. The site will advise if it is available to your home. They did not send any flyers or sales reps into my neighborhood. After they install the optical terminal boxes (if you have underground service the terminals boxes are in the larger boxes) they are good to go since they test each fiber back to the central office as they "wire" each terminal.

Their system is all prefab. After installing the ONT in your home, they plug the prefab optical cable into it and then run the optical cable from your service box through the conduits to the nearest terminal box, where they plug in the other prefab end of the optical cable.

I have had no attenuation issues with the ONT712. The FiOS service is superior to standard cable and with my new Samsung LCD TV the picture is so sharp that sometimes it appears you are looking out of a window.

I had cable service with the same company for 26 years, so it was hard to depart since I was comfortable with them. But when the SDV became an issue I was able to make up my mind rather quickly to change to FiOS.

Sony SVR2000 S1 w/LT Turbonet - 11/01 (Not in use)
S2 - 6/04 - w/LT & 40hours
S2 - 12/05 - w/LT & 250 hours
S3 - 9/09 w/ LT & 1TB (sold)
Roamio Plus - w/LT & 1TB
FiOS Service

JacksTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:59 AM   #1240
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksTiVo View Post
Rich,
Visit the Verizon FiOS Web site and enter your zipcode. The site will advise if it is available to your home. They did not send any flyers or sales reps into my neighborhood. <snip>
Thanks for the info and positive feedback Jack. I did indeed check on line a while back and it said FIOS was available at my house. I just hadn't done anything about it because of my TiVo questions/concerns and was glad I was able to ask the VZ installer about it.

When they installed the lines in my brother-in-law's neighborhood they sent him a big promo package in the mail. I was kind of waiting for that as well to see if they had any "deals". (According to the VZ web site I can apparently get their DVR free for one year...oh boy! )

In any case, thanks again. Hearing about your and other's positive experiences plus knowing that they're using "M" cards now is a plus. I think I'll pull the trigger as soon as I can find time to stay home for a day and ensure they get everything right.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:06 PM   #1241
markp750

New HD channels in Maryland.

Hi all.
Just read a Tivo message about new HD channels added. They are now in my lineup but I receive nothing. Just gray. I have a series 3 with two cards.
Will these new channels appear in a few days or does some tech have to update my cards?

Thanks in advance.

Mark P.
markp750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #1242
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp750 View Post
Just read a Tivo message about new HD channels added. They are now in my lineup but I receive nothing.
You have to call Verizon to switch to the "Extreme HD" package.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #1243
markp750

And how much extra per month is that??

Mark P.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #1244
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Read the thread I linked to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:57 AM   #1245
moneytrain8

Rich... Yup, no issues so far with the M cards. Looks as good as it did with Comcast. No sure HD can look that much "better" anyway. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Extreme HD/Phone/Internet is $99 a month (plus taxes/fees) here in Baltimore. When you are on the phone, tell them you want to the $10 a month discount you'd get from ordering online. They'll give it to you with little/no pushing. Otherwise it's $109/month. Still cheaper than the $160 I gave Comcast each month for the same thing.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:08 AM   #1246
Gregor

Quote:
Rich... Yup, no issues so far with the M cards. Looks as good as it did with Comcast. No sure HD can look that much "better" anyway. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Extreme HD/Phone/Internet is $99 a month (plus taxes/fees) here in Baltimore. When you are on the phone, tell them you want to the $10 a month discount you'd get from ordering online. They'll give it to you with little/no pushing. Otherwise it's $109/month. Still cheaper than the $160 I gave Comcast each month for the same thing.
Actually, the HD looks better that Comcast (imho). Remember that Verizon does not re-compress HD channels, while Comcast does. I noticed an immediate difference in PQ when I changed.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #1247
richsadams

Quote:

Thanks for the support...and the tip! When I looked everything up on line and ordered it, (but didn't complete the order) the same services came out to $109. Wonder if it's $10 higher out here? Our Comcast bill is about $160 as well, so whatever it ends up being will be a huge savings! Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor View Post
Actually, the HD looks better that Comcast (imho). Remember that Verizon does not re-compress HD channels, while Comcast does. I noticed an immediate difference in PQ when I changed.
A number of other folks here said the same thing. That's what I'm looking forward to!!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:11 PM   #1248
aaronwt
HD Addict

I have fourteen months on two of my cable cards and around eleven months on six cable cards with FIOS. They have been working fine. Although I have the single stream cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddietr View Post
Well, I'm about to give up after 6 months of S3 + FIOS.

All was fine for about 4 months with 2 M cards. But for the past two months one of the two cards will stop working every couple of days. Then I restart the TiVo or call and have the card "pinged" and that card will work again.

And then invariably a day or two later the other one will stop. So effectively I'm restarting our TiVo 3 times a week and more importantly I'm losing a lot of shows.

So Verizon replaced both M cards. Then we replaced the TiVo. And still the same behavior.

Which is strange considering all was well was for 4 months. Very frustrating.

So I guess the plan now is to go with our antenna and iTunes for a while. No sense in paying for service when half our cable shows don't tape anyway.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:50 AM   #1249
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Thanks for the support...and the tip! When I looked everything up on line and ordered it, (but didn't complete the order) the same services came out to $109. Wonder if it's $10 higher out here? Our Comcast bill is about $160 as well, so whatever it ends up being will be a huge savings! Thanks again.
Just to give you a bit of comparison since I'm in your area, I have the 20/5 internet, TV with HBO, and phone and I pay right around $160/month.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #1250
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
Just to give you a bit of comparison since I'm in your area, I have the 20/5 internet, TV with HBO, and phone and I pay right around $160/month.
Thanks David...sounds good, especially the speedy/unlimited broadband connection. As someone else mentioned, if we start downloading movies from Netflix that will cause us to hit Comcast's bandwidth cap pretty quickly (particularly if/when they offer HD downloads). It'll be a great not to have to worry about that with VZ.

Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #1251
Gregor

Quote:

A number of other folks here said the same thing. That's what I'm looking forward to!!
One thing that's not in the $109 price is all the taxes, franchise fees, etc, so that will affect your savings.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:52 PM   #1252
sender_name
XM 202!

i see people posting that they have multiple M cards in the same tivo...I thought the s3 only needed 1 M card or 2 S cards...if you have an M card and only need 1 that would save you $4 a month on renting 2 cards
sender_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #1253
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sender_name View Post
i see people posting that they have multiple M cards in the same tivo...I thought the s3 only needed 1 M card or 2 S cards...if you have an M card and only need 1 that would save you $4 a month on renting 2 cards
The S3 requires 2 cards regardless of S or M. The TiVo HD and HDXL can operate with a single M card or 2 S cards.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #1254
Distortedloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
The S3 requires 2 cards regardless of S or M. The TiVo HD and HDXL can operate with a single M card or 2 S cards.
Are you sure about that...?
Distortedloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #1255
sender_name
XM 202!

yeah, i thought the S3 was multi card compatible
sender_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #1256
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distortedloop View Post
Are you sure about that...?
Yes, the S3 has a 'bug' that requires 2 cards for 2 tuners

The HD can use 1 M-card
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #1257
tdel73

Verizon is coming tomorrow to install FIOS...crossing fingers that all goes well!!

EDIT: the install went very smoothly yesterday, he got the Tivo up and running in no time, so far so good! Thank god I'm done with Cablevision!!

Last edited by tdel73 : 11-13-2008 at 08:57 AM.
tdel73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #1258
markp750

Darn, I was hoping to watch the Shuttle launch tonight and I can't find it on FIOS. I guess they don't carry it. Jeeze.

Mark P.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #1259
markp750

NASA TV that is.

Mark P.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #1260
webin

The shuttle launch is being broadcast in HD on HDNet, channel 569. Coverage starts at 4:30 pst (7:30est) and runs 35 minutes.
webin is offline   Reply With Quote