TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #1201
passatdream

I have FiOS and two Tivos. I have one S3 and one Tivo HD. Both have two cable cards. Verizon provides single-stream cable cards, so you will need to of them to use the dualtuner functionality. I've had no problems with Verizon's CableCards.

Chris.
passatdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #1202
sender_name
XM 202!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemein View Post
So I just received my first FIOS bill and I'm confused... .....

Verizon has an online billing statement that is all broken down. That's what i use. Perhaps somewhere on your bill it directs you to the website for a more detailed bill?

EDIT: I just checked mine and they do indeed have a VERY detailed bill online.
sender_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #1203
sender_name
XM 202!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb923 View Post
This is getting really frustrating. I am trying to order FIOS and finally got someone on the phone that knows what cablecards are and confirmed that they should work with the Tivo. I placed the order, making it very clear that I needed 2 cablecards and a DVR for a 2nd room, and the 20/5 internet service.

When I got the email confirmation it said:

You ordered: FiOS Internet [10Mbps/2Mbps]

FiOS TV Order Details:
You ordered: Essentials
-DVR Provisioning
-Digital Adapter - DCT 700
-Service Installation
-Free Existing outlet (up to 3)

She read the entire order to me on the phone. 2 cablecards and a DVR, and 20/5 service. Where are my cablecards, and where did the DCT 700 come from?
The Digital Adapter is a $4/month box that allows the standard def channels (like 0-499) to be viewed on a standard def tv. It is essentially a micro cable box. I have one in my bedroom for my tivo series 2 and 24" standard def tv.
If you have told them you have 2 tv's and only ordered 1 HD box they might have sent a Dig. Adapt for the 2nd tv...if you have a standard def tv or a series 2 tivo you will need a dig adapter//
Old 10-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #1204
pjb923

Quote:
Originally Posted by sender_name View Post
The Digital Adapter is a $4/month box that allows the standard def channels (like 0-499) to be viewed on a standard def tv. It is essentially a micro cable box. I have one in my bedroom for my tivo series 2 and 24" standard def tv.
If you have told them you have 2 tv's and only ordered 1 HD box they might have sent a Dig. Adapt for the 2nd tv...if you have a standard def tv or a series 2 tivo you will need a dig adapter//
I know what the digital adapter is, and I know that I don't need one. I have an HD Tivo and made it very clear on the phone that I needed 2 cablecards and a DVR for a 2nd room. She even got a tech on the phone with us to verify the availability and compatibility of the cable cards. Then she repeated the entire order back to me, re-stating that I needed 2 cablecards. 20 minutes later I received the order confirmation that I posted here.

I tried calling them back before I left work today, but didn't want to spend any more time on hold and gave up. I'll try again tomorrow.
pjb923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:41 AM   #1205
timmymac123

Avoide the fees

I called Billing. I had to work the young woman a little bit.
First I called my local Verizon office to see if they had the cards on hand...which they did. They mentioned if I had an Order Number, I could just stop by and pick up the cards.

So I asked about Cable cards. I mentioned I wanted to pick them.
It sounded odd to her, but she accomodated.
I got my order number for two cards and ppicked them up.

I got home, put one in my tivo and called support to activate them.

Another weird call....the support guy asked if I was a tech...he he.
I of course said no, how much brains does it take to read two numbers
to a support person on the phone...he laughed.

After a few minutes and one remote reset later (I was only getting local HD, he did a reset and that provided the rest of the HD channels) I was off an running at my leisure with no support person on site!

--tmac
timmymac123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:08 AM   #1206
sender_name
XM 202!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmymac123 View Post
I called Billing. I had to work the young woman a little bit.
First I called my local Verizon office to see if they had the cards on hand...which they did. They mentioned if I had an Order Number, I could just stop by and pick up the cards.

So I asked about Cable cards. I mentioned I wanted to pick them.
It sounded odd to her, but she accomodated.
I got my order number for two cards and ppicked them up.

I got home, put one in my tivo and called support to activate them.

Another weird call....the support guy asked if I was a tech...he he.
I of course said no, how much brains does it take to read two numbers
to a support person on the phone...he laughed.

After a few minutes and one remote reset later (I was only getting local HD, he did a reset and that provided the rest of the HD channels) I was off an running at my leisure with no support person on site!

--tmac
NICE...
It is so simple to do the cards when you are familiar with the tivo interface...I was tempted to post on youtube "How to configure fios cards for tivo"
Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #1207
webin

Quote:
Congrats! You are the very first person I've heard of that managed to convince Verizon to let you do the job yourself. Of course we can all handle it, but they won't let us!
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #1208
richsadams

Quote:
<snip>

--tmac
Well done! But didn't you miss having nothing to do for four hours while you sat around waiting for the VZ tech to show up?!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #1209
pjb923

I wanted to give a quick update on my order status. I called back to update my order with cable cards in place of the digital adapter.

Calling the number provided on my order status page I am greeted by a maze of menus, always asking for the phone number you are calling about. Since i don't have a Verizon phone, I just hit pound a few times to get through this first stage. Then I am asked what service I am calling about and press the button for Fios and say that I am calling to update an existing order. Once I am finally connected to a person I start to read my order number and he says "oh, this is about Fios... I will need to transfer you". Ok, why did I have to choose the Fios option in the menu if they are going to send me to someone that can't help me with Fios??

Next person picks up and asks for me Verizon business phone number. I tell them I don't have a phone number, but I have an order confirmation number. Her response... "I can't help you if this is regarding a residential account, let me transfer you." She was nice enough to give me the direct number for Fios support making my next call much easier, and she transferred me to the correct department this time.

I explained the error on my confirmation and she made the appropriate changes to my order. A few hours later I saw that the order had been updated and now shows 1 cablecard and 1 digital adapter. I called back again and was told that the status on the website is not updated and that my order is correct in their system. She also managed to try to sell me their phone service before we hung up.

My installation date is Saturday Oct. 25th, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed until then. I will be armed with information about attenuators, low pass filters and cablecard installation when the techs show up.
pjb923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #1210
webin

Don't you just love the Verizon phone system? Even if I do find a convenient path through the subsections, I always seem to get transferred incorrectly as least once.

I've done some simple phone system routing programming, and I can't imagine how complicated their flowchart must be.

Last edited by webin : 10-09-2008 at 09:11 AM. Reason: I can't spell "their"
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #1211
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by webin View Post
Don't you just love the Verizon phone system? Even if I do find a convenient path through the subsections, I always seem to get transferred incorrectly as least once.
I love the part where you call the same number four times in two days and it presents you with 2 or 3 different menu trees. You can't even memorize your way through.

Or the fact that it tries it's damndest to avoid connecting you to tech support after you've got a scheduled visit. (Um, guys, I'm trying to cancel the now-unnecessary tech visit.)
Old 10-08-2008, 04:20 PM   #1212
sender_name
XM 202!

i just hit random buttons until i get a person...and then i go from there...Somtimes i even try to get as far from the correct person as possible...call fios and make your way to the business cellular or something
Old 10-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #1213
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

I've found that if you say "agent" at any time during the call you are released from voice-prompt hell and connected to a live person. The bad news is that it's a crapshoot whether or not that talking head can actually help

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:31 AM   #1214
Dana_B

FiosTV ExtremeHD Plan

Called Verizon to start getting some of the new channels offered. Like SpeedHD.

If you do the same get an order number before you hang up.

I had to call twice to get it installed as the order the first time was never entered into the system and one of the first questions I got in regards to the order was the order number. I did not have one. Placed the order again and got an order number and new channels in less then a minute showed up.

TiVo HD Fios cable cards
1gb internal upgrade
Dana_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #1215
JacksTiVo
TiVo User since 2001

I recently posted my experience with stuttering audio & pixelation on another thread (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=407509). In my case it wasn't FiOS and the need for a low pass filter, but an issue with the My DVR Expander.

In any event in reading some recent posts, i thought I would provide what I hope are some helpful comments.
If your FiOS service has gone 100% digital, Verizon will give you two digital to analog converter boxes at no monthly charge. I initially was charged $3.99/mo per box.

When I converted to FiOS from NJ Cablevision cable service I was pleased with the quality of the HD video and saw some improvement as compared to Cablevision's HD.
My TV was a 53" Sony rear projection set purchased in June 2000. It was HD ready at the time so adding the S3 was not a problem.

After saving money in my "mad money" account (I save a few dollars each month to buy myself gadgets, toys and such without having to worry that my DW will complain about the expenditure), I finally had enough to purchase a new LCD HD TV.
Wow, the FiOS HD is absolutely unbelievable. I purchased a 52" Samsung series 6 unit that received high marks from Consumer Reports & CNET. The FiOS picture is so good and lifelike that it almost feels as if you are looking out of your window.

In other words, if you want to experience the full extent of the FiOS service, you should have a newer model HD TV, not one that is 8 years old.

Sony SVR2000 S1 w/LT Turbonet - 11/01 (Not in use)
S2 - 12/05 - w/LT & 250 hours
S3 - 9/09 w/ LT & 1TB (sold)
Roamio Plus - 1/14 - w/LT & 1TB
Mini - 9/14
FiOS Service

JacksTiVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #1216
dave843

I just had FIOS installed on Friday. It went fairly well. But the installer hadn't done a cablecard installation in a couple of years, and had never done a Tivo. So he didn't know what he was doing. But he was friendly, and willing to learn. He let me deal with the Tivo. He wrote down the numbers, and I ran the Tivo. After trying to activate the first card for a few minutes, he figured out that the cablecards were not on my account (so they would not activate). After adding them to my account, they activated.

But now the fun part -- I got two M-Cards. The installer mentioned that my cards were brand new when he picked them up. So it looks like Verizon is slowly moving to the M-Cards.
dave843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:39 AM   #1217
slocko

does that mean you only needed one card? why did he install 2?
Old 10-19-2008, 11:49 AM   #1218
dave843

Quote:
Originally Posted by slocko View Post
does that mean you only needed one card? why did he install 2?
According to the Series 3 and Tivo HD FAQ, the Tivo HD supports the dual-tuner capabilities of the M-card, but the Series 3 does not. This means that the Series 3 must have two cable cards to use both tuners (it doesn't matter if the cards themselves support it or not). Hopefully the Series 3 will support it at some point.

Quote:
Can I use one Mutli-Stream CableCARD, or M-Card?

Currently the TiVo HD supports M-Card, but the Series3 does not yet support it. While the Series3 Viewer’s Guide has the following on page 102: “Note: A single multi-stream CableCARD decoder installed in the bottom slot on the back of the DVR enables dual tuner functionality.”, this is incorrect! I spoke with Bob Poniatowski (aka TiVoPony) of TiVo by phone on Thursday, September 21st, 2006 and he clarified that. He also later made a post at TiVoCommunity.com which contained the following:

There is currently no certification process for multi-stream cards (MCARD) in uni-directional devices such as the Series3. We are tracking the creation of the certification for this very closely and will work with CableLabs as this certification is finalized and becomes available. In the mean time, you will need two cable cards in your Series3 to enable dual tuner functionality (MCARDs in a uni-directional device act as SCARDs).

The Series3 should support M-Card via a software update in the future.

dave843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #1219
SeanC
ECT

There have been comments on this board from TivoPony that have made it sound unlikely that the S3 will ever be upgraded to support the M card's dual tuner capability.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #1220
aaronwt
HD Addict

Oh well. It's not worth it for me anyway. Just to have them come out to install M cards would cost a lot and only save me $2 on each tiVo.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #1221
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

I just had two family members contact me in the past week ranting about Verizon's crappy DVR that they insisted on installing with the Verizon FiOS TV service.

I'm now officially going to just cut and paste my recommendations for what equipment to ask for so that my friends and family members can use their TiVos with FiOS, and reassuring them that no matter what the Verizon tech says, FiOS is compatible with TiVo, and they do not "have" to get the Verizon DVR.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:26 PM   #1222
JStew

Has anyone recently had a Vz truck roll to install cards? I had it done about a year ago and it was $25.00 for the tech to come do the job. Recently, there have been grumblings that the cost is presently at $79.00. Can anyone confirm this?
JStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #1223
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAllie View Post
I just had two family members contact me in the past week ranting about Verizon's crappy DVR that they insisted on installing with the Verizon FiOS TV service.

I'm now officially going to just cut and paste my recommendations for what equipment to ask for so that my friends and family members can use their TiVos with FiOS, and reassuring them that no matter what the Verizon tech says, FiOS is compatible with TiVo, and they do not "have" to get the Verizon DVR.
I think the current "deal" with FIOS is a free DVR for a year. My parents took it, and really like it, but they've never had a DVR. Unfortunately, I've never been able to convince them how great Tivo is.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #1224
sender_name
XM 202!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sender_name View Post
so using my tivo's card diagnostics i have Id a channel range that is corrupted...it is all channels from 135000khz to 153000khz. It is about 10 hd channels. I called tech support and they did a bunch of remote cable card reboots and are sending a tech out monday. I am pretty sure it is an issue on their end because in that range i get 1,000,000's of errors in 1/2 hour and 100,000 uncorrected errors that result in programming skips etc. I told them all of this and they are coming out to see...I will let you all know what happens
Just quoting myself here...

The pixelation was fixed by verizon at the office. The PON? card was swapped out and the specific fiber connected to it was cleaned (this is what the tech determined had to be done) and now i have no uncorrected errors in that range. Actually i have no errors...So i am now re-recording all the Stargate atlantis eps that were pixelated

Ahh..I needed my USAhd and ScifiHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStew View Post
Has anyone recently had a Vz truck roll to install cards? I had it done about a year ago and it was $25.00 for the tech to come do the job. Recently, there have been grumblings that the cost is presently at $79.00. Can anyone confirm this?
when i had my install done (the guy brought the cards) the cost was 3x $6.99 (over 3 months) for the entire install...
Old 10-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #1225
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Cool Free install for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStew View Post
Both time I had them come out to install cable cards (about 18 months ago, then again two months ago) there was no cost for the truck roll. The only thing on my bill is the additional cost per card per month.
V7Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #1226
JStew

Quote:
Originally Posted by V7Goose View Post
Both time I had them come out to install cable cards (about 18 months ago, then again two months ago) there was no cost for the truck roll. The only thing on my bill is the additional cost per card per month.
Thanks, sender and Goose. I think customer service gave out wrong information (again).
JStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:21 PM   #1227
smcmanus

Verizon cable cards. I do not know if others have run into this. Verizon tech support advised me that I needed 2 single stream cards and that Tivo 3 will not handle the M series (multistream) card at this time, bu tthey are coming out with a different tivo next year that will. He stated that the M series cards are bigger than the S series and will not fit in the current series 3 box. The tech wanted to drop ship the cards to be, but Verizon billing insisted they could only be installed by a service tech and the charge for the service call is $79. I live in the Philadelphia area, so I do not know if this is the same everwhere. The cards are being installed tomorrow, so we'll see how it all works.
smcmanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:46 PM   #1228
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmanus View Post
Verizon tech support advised me that I needed 2 single stream cards and that Tivo 3 will not handle the M series (multistream) card at this time
Sort of correct for the original series 3, not true for the TiVo HD and TiVo HD XL.
Quote:
but they are coming out with a different tivo next year that will.
There are already two TiVos out that fully support M-cards.
Quote:
He stated that the M series cards are bigger than the S series and will not fit in the current series 3 box.
Nonsense. The cards are the same size.
Heck, even the original series 3 will work with M-cards; it just can't use more that 1 stream from one. (So you need two M-cards for dual tuner support).
Old 10-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #1229
debtoine
WTTWDC

We just jumped ship from cable to Fios. Our install is next Friday, and I can't wait.

No more worrying about tuning adapters for us.

deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
debtoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #1230
sender_name
XM 202!

Dammit...I just had Fios extreme HD activated and I turned FX HD and it is garbage with uncorrected errors...Time to call Vz and have them clean another PON card and fiber...It only took 2 months for them to track down the error on the 135,000 range now this one is in the 335,000 i think...