TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #991
crapmaster

Thanks guys, I got it. The reason I was looking to use a wireless router is that I have one of those lying around, I'm not looking to buy anything new. So your reasoning makes perfect sense, I will give it a try with my existing router. Thanks again, case closed I hope.
crapmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:27 AM   #992
crapmaster

Allrights, I hooked my Netgear WGT624v3 router into the port 1 of the Actiontec. While I get an IP address on the PC connected to Netgear, I don't have internet connection on that PC. I'm guessing the problem is the firewall on the Actiontec. When browsing to the Actiontec configuration page, I see the Netgear as IP 192.168.1.2 connected to Actiontec. I tried to muck around with the firewall settings (I tried port forwarding with all ports open, I tried making static NAT for 192.168.1.2, and I tried making Netgear as DMZ, but nothing seems to work. I cannot (apparently) completely disable the firewall on the Actiontec, but I did that on the Netgear to remove that from the equation.

I need some help, any tips or links to other forums would be greatly appreciated to resolve this.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:55 AM   #993
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

My tip is to use a switch. If there's a way to set the Netgear to operate as a simple switch, use that. Otherwise, you're just causing yourself unnecessary grief.

Still, it should work (after a fashion) if you just plug in the WAN port on the Netgear to a regular port on the Actiontec. You don't have the Netgear set up for PPPoE, do you? It needs to be set for DHCP. And no, you shouldn't have to mess with firewalls and DMZs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #994
aaronwt
HD Addict

Once you setup a DMZ, the Actiontec shouldn't be a factor. I have mine set this way, and the firewall on the Actiontec set on the lowest setting. My Actiontec does nothing when you check the log except renew it's IP address every two hours. My Dlink router plugged in to one of the Actiontec ports that is on a DMZ is the device that blocks things with the firewall and hands out IP addresses using DHCP.

I find this setup easiest, since the Actiontec is still conneted to the ONT, that way, if Verizon needs to do anything remotely, I don't have to change things around. With my Dlink being on a DMZ, everything is just as fast as if I had the Dlink connected directly to my ONT.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #995
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapmaster View Post
Allrights, I hooked my Netgear WGT624v3 router into the port 1 of the Actiontec. While I get an IP address on the PC connected to Netgear, I don't have internet connection on that PC. I'm guessing the problem is the firewall on the Actiontec. When browsing to the Actiontec configuration page, I see the Netgear as IP 192.168.1.2 connected to Actiontec. I tried to muck around with the firewall settings (I tried port forwarding with all ports open, I tried making static NAT for 192.168.1.2, and I tried making Netgear as DMZ, but nothing seems to work. I cannot (apparently) completely disable the firewall on the Actiontec, but I did that on the Netgear to remove that from the equation.

I need some help, any tips or links to other forums would be greatly appreciated to resolve this.
Did you disable the DHCP server on the Netgear? If the attached device thinks the Netgear is the gateway it's going to be disappointed.

The Actiontec should still be the boss - that's how I have it set up on my network anyway.

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #996
crapmaster

Thanks guys, I got it working. The key indeed was to disable the DHCP on Netgear, and also not to use the WAN port of the Netgear, but any of the LAN ports. So the set-up works now as expected. Thanks again all.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #997
dbphotos

I've read through a lot of these posts and am thinking it's tme for me to switch from DTV to FIOS and the new Series 3 HD TIVO with M-Card. I'm in North Texas. Does anyone know of any continuing issues with FIOS an TIVO?

I'm a hug TIVO fan and can't stand the DTV HD DVR. I have TIVO on 2 non-HD t.v.'s in my house and just think they do a far superior job of what they are designed to do and they allo me to listen and watch podcasts.

Anything I should be aware of or concerned with if I switch to FIOS/TIVO setup?

Thanks!
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:35 PM   #998
webin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphotos View Post
... Series 3 HD TIVO with M-Card.

Thanks!

Good choice. The only thing I notice from your comments... Verizon doesn't offer M-Cards. You can only get 2 S-Cards, which will cost you $7.98 a month.
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #999
FiosUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphotos View Post
I've read through a lot of these posts and am thinking it's tme for me to switch from DTV to FIOS and the new Series 3 HD TIVO with M-Card. I'm in North Texas. Does anyone know of any continuing issues with FIOS an TIVO?

I'm a hug TIVO fan and can't stand the DTV HD DVR. I have TIVO on 2 non-HD t.v.'s in my house and just think they do a far superior job of what they are designed to do and they allo me to listen and watch podcasts.

Thanks!

I have FIOS and a Tivo S3. The problem you will have is pixelation. You have to keep updating your connections every few months or so with attenuation, etc.

I got my pixelation fixed, but after a handful of months the pixelation returned. It has been a few weeks since it returned and I'm still going through combinations of different amounts of attenuation (a few weeks because it is hard to find time in between recordings to reboot the Tivo--since the Tivo reboot takes so dang long).
FiosUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #1000
dalesd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiosUser View Post
I have FIOS and a Tivo S3. The problem you will have is pixelation. You have to keep updating your connections every few months or so with attenuation, etc.

I got my pixelation fixed, but after a handful of months the pixelation returned. It has been a few weeks since it returned and I'm still going through combinations of different amounts of attenuation (a few weeks because it is hard to find time in between recordings to reboot the Tivo--since the Tivo reboot takes so dang long).
I'm a recent FiOS TV customer (just a few months now) and I haven't had a single problem with pixelation. My installer included an attenuator on the cable that goes into the TiVo.

I had an initial problem with getting the S-cards activated. The install was Friday of Memorial Day Weekend. They still weren't working right Sunday morning, and I had a tech there Sunday morning of Memorial Day weekend. (He got them working.)
dalesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:45 PM   #1001
webin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesd View Post
...and I had a tech there Sunday morning of Memorial Day weekend. (He got them working.)
Wow. That's a tech that's dedicated to his work.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #1002
FiosUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesd View Post
I'm a recent FiOS TV customer (just a few months now) and I haven't had a single problem with pixelation. My installer included an attenuator on the cable that goes into the TiVo.

I had an initial problem with getting the S-cards activated. The install was Friday of Memorial Day Weekend. They still weren't working right Sunday morning, and I had a tech there Sunday morning of Memorial Day weekend. (He got them working.)
What size attenuator do you have?
FiosUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:11 AM   #1003
dalesd

I think it's 9dB.
dalesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #1004
webin

I'm fairly happy with 6dB on my line. Others around here use as much as 20dB. Your results can definitely vary. The best bet (in my opinion) would be to buy a pack of them so you can mix and match as needed. I got mine from SmartHome.com http://www.smarthome.com/7800.html
Old 07-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #1005
riffjim4069

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffjim4069 View Post
I ordered a $179 refurished TiVO HD from yesterday. I decided that I could no longer live with the FiOS HD DVR...especially since Verizon cannot tell me when, or if, eSATA will ever be enabled, and I have a WD My DVR that is currently not being used. Earlier that day, I called Verizon's Fiber Solutions Center and they told me a couple things: the M-Card will only be available in the new receivers (FCC's requirement for separable security), and I would have to schedule an appointment for installation since they don't permit self-install. Ugh!...continue to get a different story each time I call. Anyway, I elected to order a free digital set-top-box (due to the upcoming analog to all digital conversion), and take care of the Cablecard issue another day.

This morning I decided to order Cablecards and was told that a Verizon Tech could install the cards at $74.99, or they could mail the cards, install it myself, and save the installation fee, plus taxes, fees, etc. Needless to say, I opted to install it install it myself and save $80 for ten minutes of work. As it turns out, I cannot order Cablecards until my previous order (free digital STB) is completed (received, activated, plus one business day for processing). I love the FiOS broadband and TV, but their billing and ordering systems is terrible.

Oh well, at least their CSRs are always friendly and speak english!
Ugh! Why is getting TiVo so difficult!

Factory "reNEWed" TiVo HD arrived last week. When I opened the box, I noticed the unit had multiple scratches on the faceplate and a few minor dents and dings. None of my electronic components are scratched and/or dinged, and I've had a 26-year old Yamaha receiver travel with me to the far-east and back several times. Scratches, dings, and what appeared to be greasy finger print smudges are what I consider to be factory renewed condition.

Anyway, TiVo reluctantly agreed to pay for return shipping...can't believe they told me I had to pay return shipping after they mailed such a horrid POS. Since this was not an "Exchange", I was told to send back all the unopened items (remote, manual, cables, etc.) - I was told this one a "Return" and reissue. Additionally, I checked off the items on TiVo's return checklist and I enclosed a letter stating referencing my conversation with the TiVo representative.

On Monday, the replacement TiVo HD arrives. This time, the unit is appears to be in factory renewed condition so I can't wait to get it working. Well, I noticed there was no bag of goodies (remote, cables, etc.) in the box so, after screaming, I called TiVo. The TiVo representative was unable to help me since he could only ship a remote and power cable, so I asked to speak to a supervisor. The folks at TiVo are very friendly, but it took almost 40 minutes before he could figure out how to order the missing items. Ugh!

Now on to Verizon...as you will recall, a Verizon tech gave me the option of self-install or rolling a truck and paying Verizon $74.99 to install the Cablecards. Needless to say, I selected the self-install method at $0.00 and was told the cards would be mailed to our home address. Today I realized that almost 2-weeks have passed so I viewed our online account and notice the order lists a service time scheduled for tomorrow between 8am - 5pm. This is very surprising since I didn't schedule a service appointment, my Cablecards were supposed to be mailed, I received no calls or email to confirm the appointment I did not make, and there was no way in heck I am going to pay $74.99 for someone to slide in a Cablecard and pair the device.

Well, I called tech support and explained my situation. I was then passed over to the orders section where a very nice lady explained the previous representative "screwed-up" since Verizon doesn't allow a customer to install Cablecards - they must be installed by a service tech. Ugh! As it turns out the $74.99 installation charge is only a $19.99 additional outlet charge, but someone needs to be home tomorrow from 8:00am - 5:00pm...and I still haven't received my bad of goodies from TiVo. I guess I could borrow the power cord from my Pannasonic DVD burner and program my MX-700 Univeral Remote, but I really don't want someone touching my stuff (to include my wife) while I am away at work.

Anyway, so much for my simple Cablecard self-install. And here I thought I was special.
riffjim4069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 PM   #1006
richsadams

Quote:
<snip> Anyway, so much for my simple Cablecard self-install. And here I thought I was special.
Soooo, things can only get better?!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:51 AM   #1007
riffjim4069

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Soooo, things can only get better?!
Well, yesterday evening I received a call from Peter at the local "Call ahead group" regarding tomorrows installation. When I explained what had happened, he apologized for the confusion and told me he would personally mail the Cablecards to our home address. Great!

Anyway, this morning my wife gets a call from Mary at the local dispatch telling her that Peter made a mistake and the cards would have to be installed by a Verizon Tech. My wife wasn't too happy since since she will be having a little dental work this afternoon, but Mary agreed to waive installation charges and work around my wife's schedule.

Verizon's billing and ordering system is horrible, and the left-hand often doesn't know what the right-hand is doing...but they sure are friendly and willing to go the extra mile in most cases.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #1008
richsadams

Quote:
Well, yesterday evening I received a call from Peter at the local "Call ahead group" regarding tomorrows installation. When I explained what had happened, he apologized for the confusion and told me he would personally mail the Cablecards to our home address. Great!

Anyway, this morning my wife gets a call from Mary at the local dispatch telling her that Peter made a mistake and the cards would have to be installed by a Verizon Tech. My wife wasn't too happy since since she will be having a little dental work this afternoon, but Mary agreed to waive installation charges and work around my wife's schedule.

Verizon's billing and ordering system is horrible, and the left-hand often doesn't know what the right-hand is doing...but they sure are friendly and willing to go the extra mile in most cases.
Ouch. What a nightmare!

We have Verizon cellular and agree...their billing and ordering system is a disaster. They seem to have a horrible time getting things right in the first place and then...and THEN if you have to change anything, say your prayers. We've been trying to get them to change our billing address for over six months now! Just the address!! Unbelievable.

I really want to switch from Comcast to Verzon FIOS, but the whole billing thing (not to mention attenuation, but I think I can deal with that) is making me think twice...or three or four times. Sigh.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #1009
riffjim4069

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I really want to switch from Comcast to Verzon FIOS, but the whole billing thing (not to mention attenuation, but I think I can deal with that) is making me think twice...or three or four times. Sigh.
We had a Comcast (Internet only) for 7+ years because they were the only broadband player in our area. My my opinion:

FiOS broadband is superior (faster, cheaper, and more reliable) to Comcast; FiOS TV has the best picture quality and is a better value than Comcast (hardware/software are about the same); FiOS Phone...well, to be honest we were happy with our sub-$10 VOIP service for many years and will likely cancel phone service after our 1-year obligation; FiOS Customer Service is head-and-shoulders superior to Comcast (rarely did we talk to someone who could speak understandable English...and these Comcast reps were in Louisianna, Mississippi and Alabama)

If you can get passed the ordering and billing systems (finally got my first accurate bill after 4-months of service), then FiOS is a very solid and cost effective product. However, if you're happy with Comcast in your area, then by all means stay the course.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #1010
richsadams

All good points, thanks. The techy side of FIOS is REALLY appealing to me...but not so much the wife. She was happy with her 19" CRT color TV when we met and still doesn't quite get all of the Hi Def, DD5.1, thunder woofer thing, but tolerates it. She does however handle the bills and nothing ticks her off more...well, almost nothing...than when a company can't get their billing system straight. She handed Verizon off to me a while back and I've just now gotten them sorted, I think. Soooo...if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

But I'll deal with the "war department" for a bigger pipe and better PQ any day, so FIOS will happen at some point.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #1011
winter

Quote:

Anyway, this morning my wife gets a call from Mary at the local dispatch telling her that Peter made a mistake and the cards would have to be installed by a Verizon Tech.
I'm still amazed that after all this time the VZ reps keep telling people that they can mail out the cablecards when they can't.

I chuckle every time someone posts that VZ said that the cards will be mailed out because I know full well that they will later post that VZ made a mistake and the cards can't be self-installed.
winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:09 AM   #1012
Flyinace2000

i really wish they would let us do self installs. I mean it is pretty brainless. Insert cards and give Verizon some numbers. Clickity Clickity Done.
Flyinace2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #1013
webin

I think the reason they keep saying that is if you are getting a new set-top box, they can mail it, and they aren't trained well enough on cable cards to realize that they are a whole other ball of wax.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #1014
MidgetBorderCollie
simon.net

I just had a very pleasant experience with Verizon FIOS in the DC area. The tech originally called me with about 30 minutes to go in my 8a. to 11a window, but I had to leave right at 11, and he told me that wouldn't be enough time, but he agreed to come back at 2, when I would be back at the house. He called again a 1:55 and was at the house at 2. He left about 15 minutes ago. He seemed to spend most of his time waiting for TIVO to do its thing. He was very knowledgeable about the process and seemed to have experience with the TIVO HD. He did have to call the home office once and get one of the cards refreshed (I am a little bummed they didn't have an M card - but I'll keep trying to get one), but all is working well. I am still repeating guided setup to get my new channels into the guide, but we're almost done with that too.

I read this thread originally and started to worry that I had made a mistake in buying the TIVOHD, but then I thought to myself, it's probably just that people that have uneventful installs don't bother to post. So if you are thinking about getting an TIVO HD to go with your Verizon FIOS service in Northern Virgina, I say - GO FOR IT!
Old 08-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #1015
Ziggy86

Thanks for the positive feed back
Ziggy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #1016
webin

Welcome to the club MBC I got my TivoHD and Fios last March, and had a similarly nice install experience. One thing to note is that Verizon still doesn't offer M-Cards. You can keep trying to get one, but don't expect results for a while.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:31 PM   #1017
Gregor

I'm getting FIOS on 8/23. Ordered some attenuators from smarthome, putting an outletn in where their box will be, is there anything else I should do?

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #1018
y8s

Northern Virginia FiOS still doesn't have Multi-stream cablecards yet.

I had the sales woman transfer me to the tech guy who said they have been trained on their use and installation but that they wouldn't be available until "later this year" with "no definite timeline".

But he had experience with them to some degree so that's promising. He seemed to indicate that the switchover was part of the all-digital TV changes next year--to eliminate differences between providers.

So the Verizon truck (79.99) is coming tomorrow morning with two s-cards. The saleswoman was already aware that a truck had to roll even though there was a mail-out option. Smart of her to check ahead.

Matt
y8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #1019
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Cool You don't have to live with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiosUser View Post

FiOS service does NOT have to pixelate! And it does NOT need attenuation. If you make them set it up correctly and fix their problems, it works perfectly with the best quality picture. See post #10 in this thread for more detailed info on how to find and prove their problems:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...07#post6580907

Good luck,
Goose
V7Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #1020
webin

Just followed your link and ready your entire post over there (I had skipped it this morning because I didn't feel like reading long posts). I find your observations to be fairly interesting, and to the best of my knowledge, new and unique. I can't remember anyone else mentioning finding the uncorrected errors in the Verizon box. My interpretation would be that the issue isn't in signal strength, but in how Tivo handles signal errors.

Would it be possible to transfer your post, or at least the main points of it, to the Pixellation troubleshooting thread: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...361244&page=28. I don't want your information to get lost in some other thread. In particular, I'd be interested in any insight you might have about what they found as the source of the issue (if you know), and how they fixed it.