TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2008, 11:24 AM   #751
markgrogers

Thanks for suggestions. I have run the guided set-up 2-3 times. I do get channels 2-49. Signal is strong. No other CC devices to test in, unfortunately. Its gotta be the cards. I'm going to make some calls and see what I can find-out.

I agree that there's a bit too much mystery w/ CCs in general. Its still somewhat new, and its certainly a very low priority for Verizon and other companies because its a very small market segment and they won't get rich(er) fast enough off of it to worry too much about it.

The Verizon tech that was here was a very nice, intelligent guy. Displaced from AT&T when they got out of cable, studying for CompTia and Networking certification- so no dummy. But, he barely knew cable cards existed and had only helped with one other CC install at a local electronics store (only got one card working at the store, he says). He did a great job with the regular TV set-ups and was flexible in making sure that audio & video routing via receiver, etc. was done how I wanted.

Thanks again for your suggestions- I'll keep trying here.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #752
markgrogers

Well, in case anyone else needs this info, my problems were solved by a great guy at the Verizon FiOS Fiber Solutions Center in CA, together with a second FiOS installer visit, and a little help from the TiVo "Cable Card Hotline".

The culprits were a set of 2 DEFECTIVE(?) Motorola Cable Cards. The two original cards showed a persistent "161-4 error" screen and never produced the screens with the necessary information for Verizon to "activate". When swapped-out for a set of 2 new cable cards of the same make, the "MMI" screens (the "gray" screens that indicate they hold info for you cable provider) popped-up in about 3-4 minutes after the cards were installed. They "activated" the cards remotely from the Fiber Solutions Center, and we "configured" #1 (bottom) via the TiVo menu and the channels appeared within a few moments.

Card #2 (top) took much longer to show the channels. Even after it was remotely "activated", no channels appeared for about 2 hours. I'm not sure if it was necessary, but I actually completed the TiVo Guided Set-Up with only card #1 configured. After Guided Set-Up was complete, card#2 began showing the channels almost immediately. (I am not sure if card#2 was simply ready after waiting 2 hours, or if the Guided Set-Up completion was the trigger that made it work).

TiVo has never looked so good and the number of channels is staggering. FiOS TV seems like the bargain of the year for us.

Here are a few things I learned:

1-Verizon here in Eastern PA only offers single-stream cable cards. The Fiber Solutions Center tech in CA indicated that only single-stream cards are available from Verizon, nationally, so you will need 2 for dual-tuner operation.

2-Be sure to order the cards when you place your initial order for FiOS service. I did not, and as a result, trying to "add them" to my "order" was a painful process that cost me hours on hold, and many minor headaches. It seems that once the "order" is placed, it is initially somehow frozen for days afterward. When I called the first time the order was "in progress" and I could not add cards to the hardware ordered. I was advised to call back in a week or so. On the second call, I was told that adding the cards to the order would result in a delay of my installation date by almost a month. I was advised to simply ask the installer to put them in since they allegedly carry spare cards. The first installer I spoke with (installing at my neighbor's home) said he never heard of cable cards and had no idea what I was talking about. The installer who came to my house
DID have cards, but had only assisted on one other cable card install at a dealer showroom (he said they only got one card working and gave up). He was reluctant to install the cards, but he eventually gave it a half-hearted effort. When the "161-4 error" screens came up and remained for more than an hour, he said he had to leave and suggested that I return my brand-new Series 3 TiVo because it was bad. I convinced him to leave the cards, and I tried myself for hours (not knowing that it was the cards that were bad).

3- Be sure you have your TiVo updated with the newest software and humming along BEFORE the FiOS install. Even TiVo suggests this as there are tweaks related to the cable cards in the newer releases (in my case 9.2A) AND it pretty much rules out the possibility of bad TiVo hardware if the cable card install gets borked and you need to troubleshoot.

4- Follow the TiVo instructions for card installation. Do card #1 in bottom slot first. I also recommend completing the TiVo Guided Set-Up with only card #1 once its "activated" and the high channels (above 49) show up via the card. The installers seem to want to jam them both in at once, and 2 different installers did not even want to look at the TiVo instructions (the 2nd guy eventually did, but only because the Fiber Solutions Tech guy was running the show via phone and wanted to follow the TiVo installation script).

5- The "161-4 error" screens are NOT always "good errors". Other posts here indicate that getting the "161-4" error was a good thing. Indeed it is- IF- after a few minutes- the card initializes and the gray "MMI" screens that Verizon needs to activate the cards appear. In my case the "161-4" errors were persistent because the cards were defective. I suggest that if you wait 10 minutes or longer and still see no gray "MMI" screens after inserting a card that you try to convince the installer that you need to try another card (tell him he'll be on his way sooner if he forks over new cards). In my case, BOTH of the first cards supplied to me were dogs.

6- If you run into trouble, ask the tech to call the Verizon Fiber Solutions Center for help. The installers were not trained on installation of cable cards- some seem to have no knowledge of their existence. Even when they do know about cable cards they are not happy dealing with DVRs other than the Verizon models they supply. They want to give up quickly and blame it on TiVo if the cards don't work. The tech guy at the Fiber Solutions Center was stellar (he owned a TiVo himself). He pulled up TiVo's support site and this community site and read what I was takling about. He got TiVo on the line, and the first TiVo tech gave him a number for a TiVo "Cable Card Hotline" in Albuquerque. The guy in Albuquerque held the Fiber Solution Techs hand (they were on speaker phone with the installer and me) and got the job done.

Overall, I was very pleased with Verizon's support. The installers were a little iffy on the cable cards but did a great job with everything else. Once the Fiber Solution Center tech took over, things happened. He got the cards added to the order. He got another installer to come by with new cards. He got on the web and researched stuff, called TiVo, and called me back- twice when there were going to be delays. He got my TiVo humming with 2 new cards within 6 hours. No one has ever taken this much trouble in supporting an installation before, so kudos to Verizon for killer support. (Now if only the cable cards were as reliable).

Last edited by markgrogers : 01-24-2008 at 04:35 PM.
markgrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #753
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgrogers View Post
Thanks for suggestions. I have run the guided set-up 2-3 times. I do get channels 2-49. Signal is strong.
If you're only getting 2-49 then you have a problem. I don't mean tune in and SEE those channels. I mean letting a channel scan work its way through the whole set. If it doesn't count up to nearly 500 then you have a cabling or tuner problem.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #754
edrego

I purchased 2 Tivo HDs last weekend and got them setup with Verizon on 01/21. At first we had the issue where we the tech tried to active the cards, no channels would come through. He wanted to try and activite them all at once and I told him that we should be doing them one at a time per the Tivo instructions. After a little back and forth, he called into FSC and got a tech on the line. I told them that we should do the activations one at a time and so we did and we got one tivo up and running with both cards with all channels.

We did the 2nd tivo and channels came up and I thought everything was working, however, no channels above 50 except the rebroadcast of the local channels in HD on channels 801+

So had to make several calls into Verizon support. They tried deactivate/activate and still was the same problem. They escalated the issue to the engineering department and they worked on it for 2 days. Finally, they had a deadline to get it resolved by 5 pm yesterday. I called in at lunch time and talked to a tech and he reviewed the case notes and then performed a "cold init" and he said that this command was not performed before by the previous techs and this should resolve the problem. When I got home and checked the 2nd tivo, all the channels were working and problems resolved.

I suggest that you make sure the installer follows the directions that are from Tivo to the letter. If the cards get activated and you still only see channels 1-49, have the FSC folks do a cold init on the cards. This will essentially wipe all the settings from the cards and reset them to the default settings. Apparently an "deactivate/activate" doesnt wipe the cards settings. (which I wasn't aware)

Now, I have 2 fully functioning Tivo HDs delivering superior video to my TVs. Wow, the picture quality is amazing!!!!!
edrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #755
pickanyone

verizon cablecard problem

I haver a tivohd. Verizon installer came last week and tried SEVEN cards in slot 1. All of them could get 2-49 and 801-808. He put the last card he had in slot 2 and it got ALL the channels.

Another guy came and only brought 2 cards. The slot 1 card got 2-49 and 801-808, and slot 2 got ALL the channels again. He then claimed it was a box issue and not a card issue.

I called tivo and was taken to the condition access screen which showed that the slot 1 card had
authorized by CP: NO
and
missing_program_rekey

error

She said that this meant it was a card and not a tivo error. However I was then put through to a tivo superviser who did think it could be a tivo problem. So they have sent me a new box. installer about to arrive...

reading this thread makes me think it might have been a card setup error all along.

will pass on any useful info from my upcoming install
pickanyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:25 AM   #756
markgrogers

Thanks, Pickanyone.

I am curious to hear how switching in the new TiVo works. 'Here's hoping the guy they send has a whole pocketful of cards, because they seem to have a high failure rate.

My TiVo_FiOS setup is the best thing I've ever had for home entertainment. 'Hope yours gets squared-away soon.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:29 PM   #757
pmininni

I had my TiVoHD cablecards installed with Fios yesterday. Ran into problem but the post by bkdtv witht he screenshots saved the day. Kudos for the images. Thanx!
- Install ONE at a time.
- Let the installer do the activation and initialization via their laptop.
- My cards would never show EnabledByCP: Yes. This was always no.
- Error 161-4 was common as he troubleshot. I explained to him that others were able to get it done by calling the Solutions number.
- He was working with the Tech trying all different things. Then it worked.
- The tech on the phone did a "Cold Init". This caused Connected: Yes and EnabledByCP: Yes and Auth: SUBSCRIBED to show up. Those three are a must.
Even a MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY error means they need to do the init then the Cold Init. Keep in mind that the techs on the phone need to be able to see the cablecard as well. This can take about 10 minutes.
- The second card was the same scenario but different errors in the beggining. Once zapped by their laptop tool IVAAP and then the "Cold Init" it came right up.

Hope this helps.
-Paul

Also, Standard channels and high def channels were the only ones that worked. No encoded channels were visible.

Last edited by pmininni : 02-02-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Additional Info
pmininni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #758
coachtrav

I use a series 3 with two cable cards and it works great. Only thing you can not get is the on demand channel 900. Something about nims or something. Not sure what that is but I believe they said it was a software issue. Other than that it works well. I have had an issue with HDMI. On a change of channels sometimes it goes blank. I have to unplug and then repulg to work(just the cable not the power). TIVO says its the tv or the cable or something other than their box. Guess what fios says...its the box or your tv. Anyone have this issue. Is hdmi that much better than RGB cables.
coachtrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #759
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachtrav View Post
Only thing you can not get is the on demand channel 900.
It's not really on channel 900, or any channel -- Fios VOD is delivered by IP. Which the Tivo could handle, in principle, if Verizon and Tivo cooperated on the software.

Quote:
I have had an issue with HDMI.
It's the TV and/or the Tivo (or, yes, the cable). But Fios isn't relevant there. The issue would remain with any provider (or indeed, with none).

The reason you see it on a change of channels is probably because the output resolution is changing. You could try setting the Tivo to output a fixed resolution. (In principle, this would slightly downgrade a 720p image if you set the output to 1080i, or vice versa. In practice it's hard to see the difference. But it all depends on your set.)

Quote:
Is hdmi that much better than RGB cables.
Nope.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #760
vildi98

cable card mess

Initial install of cable cards seemed to go well. I thought both cards were working. Two days later card # 2 no good. After 4 days of calling solution center I finally get someone to agree to send a tech out. Of course many problems getting tech to show up by their "commit time".

Tech came yesterday and tried to a new card no good. His support person of course says itís the TIVO, try to reboot. OK fine did a soft boot then told to try a hard boot. Once the tivo booted back on Card one is bad!!!. Try to re run guided set up but it gets stuck at "preparing" after it asks about my premium channels. Now I have no cards working.

I ask the tech to try the cable card in TV just to be sure itís the TIVO. He is kind enough to try and the card no good in TV. So now I am suppose to have an "expert" tech come tonight with new cable cards to try again. Who hopefully will have the cards registered in their database, as that seems to have been the problem with the two bad cards.

My question is really about the reboot wiping out the one card that worked, has this happened to anyone else? Also concerned about tivo getting hung up during guided setup.

Hopefully tonight will go smooth, but based on past experience I'm not hopeful.
vildi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:01 AM   #761
markgrogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vildi98 View Post
So now I am suppose to have an "expert" tech come tonight with new cable cards to try again. Who hopefully will have the cards registered in their database, as that seems to have been the problem with the two bad cards.
I was initially told by the installer (the day after) that the problem was that the cards had NOT been "checked-out" of inventory and therefore would not appear as valid on the Verizon system. This turned-out to be false according to the Fiber Solutions tech, who confirmed the cards HAD been "checked-out". I think that the "check-out" thing is away to verify that the cards are Verizon's and not 3rd party or customer-supplied. Apparently it's common that cards that are not "checked-out" are floating around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vildi98 View Post
My question is really about the reboot wiping out the one card that worked, has this happened to anyone else? Also concerned about tivo getting hung up during guided setup.
Reboots did not change the status of my cards whatsoever. Based upon my experience, I'd guess that its more likely that that card was near-death or never quite fully working and the reboot just exposed the flaw. The failure rate of the cable cards seems very high.

Did you update your TiVo software prior to the install (newest versions for each model are listed on the TiVo site)? The tech on the "TiVo Cable Card Hotline" told us the newer software had tweaks for cable card compatibility. Did your TiVo work properly pre-FiOS install? If so, there is a 99% chance the problems are NOT the TiVo, but are related to buggy/defective cable cards.

Good luck tonight.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:33 AM   #762
rucka

Just made the switch a couple days ago from Com**** to FIOS. It was a lengthy process (we did the full TV/FIOS/Phone install), but so far so good. Overall the HD pic is comparable if not better. We also tried the comparison between HDMI and component and HDMI lost in our house on both TVs (one LCD, 1 DLP) -- color me surprised!
rucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #763
vildi98

Smile cable cardds work

After 2.5 hours tonight and 3 cable cards later I am very happy to say both cards now work. The tech had to deactivate and reactivate cards with a tech at the solution center. Conditional access screen good on both cards. I tested all digital channels and even recorded off both tuners while tech was still here just to be sure. Hopefully my cards won't go bad in couple of days.
vildi98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:52 PM   #764
dsa1971

I have 2 tivo hd boxes with 2 scards in each. All cards appear to be currently working even though one card still lists MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY on the conditional access screen. The verizon tech today that came out to "repair" things that didn't go right on Saturday told me that if the cards need to be reinitialized then after they are reinitialized I should remove the cards and then reinsert them. Does this make any sense?
dsa1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #765
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
If you're getting the MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY message, they aren't working properly. In my case, one of the two cards was AUTHORIZED, but the other had the same message you saw. I could tune into all channels on one tuner, but the other channel could only tune in channels 2-49.

You should contact the Verizon Fiber Solutions Center (888-553-1555) and have them reinitialize the cards. They can do it over the phone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:44 AM   #766
dsa1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
If you're getting the MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY message, they aren't working properly. In my case, one of the two cards was AUTHORIZED, but the other had the same message you saw. I could tune into all channels on one tuner, but the other channel could only tune in channels 2-49.

You should contact the Verizon Fiber Solutions Center (888-553-1555) and have them reinitialize the cards. They can do it over the phone.

I'm receiving all the channels I am supposed to even with the MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY message which is only on the one card. I've tested this through the Test Channels option. The other 4 cards say SUBSCRIBED. For now, I may just leave it because Verizon has already wore me out with techs who are just guessing at how to setup and troubleshoot the cablecards.
dsa1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #767
capnkt

Cable Card Woes....

Well...I am in the middle of a frustrating game of "Cable Card Lotto".

So far I have one THD with two fully functioning cable cards, and another THD with two non functioning cards.

The Verizon tech was a very good guy, and started out the install by saying "I have only done this one other time.", he basically said "You can install the cards, and I will take care of the computer details".

The first Tivo seemed to work for awhile, then stopped after a couple of hours. Two calls to Verizon, and two days later they seem to be working, with all of the channels.

The other Tivo seems to be a different story. I have been on the phone with tech support four times, with no luck yet. They have re-intialized the cards a couple of times, allegedly did a "cold init" last night, and I still do not have all of the channels.

The information provided from the conditional access screen shows that they are connected, Auth=Subscribed, encryption=conforming CSA, EnabledByCP, etc., however it does vary from time to time. Occasionally they will say "Auth:Unknown". There have been numerous "Repeat guided setup", as well as umpteen "restart system" & hard resets (pull the plug) with no apparent changes or improvements.

The other two cards have been this way for a couple of days. I receive some of the HD's and some of the analogs below CH 49, otherwise the channel lineup seems to be kind of hit or miss. Some are there, and others are "channel not available".

Both units have been upgraded to 1TB internal drives. I have considered putting the stock hard drive back in the unit to see if it made a difference, but the with the other unit running & stable for almost a week, I am a little apprehensive.

I work in the custom A/V business, and would NEVER recommend this process to one of our customers. I am much more patient with these kind of things, and would probably go broke trying to resolve these issues for a customer.

Verizon's video quality & the Techs & CSRs couldn't be nicer. They have always been very patient & understanding on the phone. However, it would be great to have my other Tivo working properly.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by capnkt : 02-22-2008 at 10:02 AM.
capnkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:20 AM   #768
markgrogers

After my own trials and tribulations, here is my humble input:

As long as your TiVos were working properly BEFORE the cable cards were inserted, and you have the TiVo software updated, THEN I would be 95% certain that the problem is bad cable cards.

We spent hours tinkering with set-ups, re-boots, switching cards from one slot to another, trying only one card, etc. The ONLY thing that worked was replacing the cable cards with new ones. When we did that, the system set-up and ran by the book (the only deviation from the TiVo instructions in my set-up was that I ran the guided set-up after the first card was recognized before the 2nd card in the unit came online).

As I and other have noted here, the cards themselves are notoriously flaky. I have never seen any other modern electronic component that has such a high DOA/failure rate. Many of the cards are DOA or die after brief usage. The Verizon people don't want to admit this, and point fingers at the TiVo, but it has been noted many times over in posts here that the problems are related to bad cable cards supplied by Verizon.

I agree that if you were in business, then recommending this process to customers would be an repeating nightmare. It is certainly not a priority for Verizon. Until they switch away from the Motorola cards, or insist that Motorola radically improve the quality, the problems will continue.

I can only suggest asking for replacement cards (again). Once mine were replaced, the unit set-up and ran quickly and has been stable now for about a month.

'Hope you draw some lucky cards next time.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 AM   #769
Ron Tobin

We're both in Sarasota, and I've been through a countless number of cards in order to get my Tivo working. And it seems that for every tech visit I've had, it's the first cable card installation the guy has done. You'd think, by now, that they have has some experience with cable cards.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #770
mamosley

Cable cards really arent as common for installers to deal with as you guys would like to believe. And the stock check out status mentioned by a previous poster happens with stbs some times also. I most freequently get those on self install calls but not on cable cards since those have to come out with a tech any way. Even though I work for vz I have time warner and had to go through several cards before the last tech came out with a multi stream card that worked and havent had any problems since.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #771
webin

As of yesterday, the Verizon Fiber Solutions Center "doesn't know what a multi-stream cable card is". This would lend evidence that we can't expect them to become available for a while yet. The July 1st date that has been mentioned would seem like the earliest we can expect CSRs to receive training on them... and probably longer for inventory to arrive.

That's kind of annoying considering Comcast customers are getting them now.
webin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #772
ah30k

Comcast has had just a little more time to get their headends settled out than Verizon don't ya think?

Also, Verizon has their standards set a little higher than Comcast w.r.t. system up time. As a result, they are rolling out new features and systems more cautiously.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #773
mamosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by webin View Post
As of yesterday, the Verizon Fiber Solutions Center "doesn't know what a multi-stream cable card is". This would lend evidence that we can't expect them to become available for a while yet. The July 1st date that has been mentioned would seem like the earliest we can expect CSRs to receive training on them... and probably longer for inventory to arrive.

That's kind of annoying considering Comcast customers are getting them now.
You will probably find them on verizon.com/fiostv before the average csr even knows what they are.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #774
fpp777

Any New Installs?

I am about 75 days from my new house being finished and I plan on using FIOS with my THD. I have read this entire thread. I was checking to see if anyone has had a recent install and if they had any problems. I am in Keller, TX which is just north of Fort Worth.
fpp777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #775
sescofresco

Well, I have been a FiosTV user in the DC Area for a year now and I truely hate the Verizon DVRs. I have 3 currently and all have been replaced at least once. One has the honor of being replaced 3 times. I was a DirecTV user for 7 Years prior with Tivo. I ran across this deal from TiVo http://www.tivo.com/promo/factory_renewed_dvr.html which sparked my interest in TiVo again. I called up Verizon FiosTV and received a quote of $3.99/month for a SINGLE Stream CableCard. It still requires a tech but there is no installation fee. Also, no charge for picking up the crappy DVR. So I am heading back to Tivoland. I will start with one THD and slowly migrate.

Last edited by sescofresco : 03-06-2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Fios CSR gave me incorrect information. Verified with Fios Tech Support.
sescofresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #776
jmairs

I'm living in Fairfax VA (just outside of D.C) and switched over to a Costco.com TIVOHD with FIOS

It was a painful 4 hour process using 3 cable cards. Both tuners are recording.

The Home Network Apps (i.e. streaming music and transcoding video from your PC) worked for a couple of days but now my Tivo Desktop software does not think there is a TivoHD on the network. I get a 3 number error code which when I googled shows up on the forums back in 2005.

I sure wish that Tivo had a Netflix Play it Now plugin!!!

Netflix play it now only takes 20 seconds to buffer and then plays fine. I don't understand why across my own network it takes Tivo much longer to copy and transcode an mpeg 4 avi file. Must be all that transcoding.

Is the Tivo transcoding my mpg2, mpg4 files to the internal Tivo format in order to play them?

John
jmairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #777
clover_kid

[/quote]It still requires a tech but there is no installation fee. Also, no charge for picking up the crappy DVR. So I am heading back to Tivoland. I will start with one THD and slowly migrate.[/quote]

I'm told I have to pay an $80.00 fee to roll a truck. How do you get around this?

Thanks

C_K
clover_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #778
webin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clover_kid View Post
How do you get around this?
Call up and complain to customer service. There's no reason a technician site visit should cost that much. Out of curiosity... that's about what they charge for "installs" that involve moving Ethernet outlets and possibly things related to installing OTNs.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:27 PM   #779
gomets11

Just got my TivoHD hooked up. I'm in Tampa, FL. There was a little hitch, but after the tech called the FIOS Helpline installation went smoothly.

Steps to follow:
1) Insert card one
2) Have Tech fully authorize it. I guess on normal installs, they only authorize the card/box for the analog channels and then authorize it again for the digital channels. The key is to have them fully authorize the card even though this isn't normal for them.
3) Make sure you got your channels
4) Insert card two
5) Have Tech fully authorize it.
6) Make sure you get channels on both tuners

Questions my Tech had: What is the POD ID?
I got this picture that solved that problem from another thread:

gomets11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #780
webin

Just got my TivoHD set up with FiOS and a pair of cablecards. The installer was here for 90 minutes total. Installing the cablecards went relatively painlessly. The installer forgot to record the serial number of the first card, and had to remove it to check, but it didn't complain when it was reinserted. There is a 30 second delay after card insert before the info window pops up, and my installer was fiddling with the menus trying to find the right screen before it popped up on it's own. After being initialized, the card only produced a grey screen (which can be considered a "no video" condition), and I suggested rebooting the TiVo. After a long boot up wait, the card worked fine, and we moved on to the second card... experiencing no trouble.

In testing channels, we discovered that I didn't get anything over channel 49, and no HD over channel 810.... basically nothing in the "high end" national stuff. A call to the tech center got someone to "deactivate and reactivate" the cards, and the installer explained something about their HD boxes getting that second hit automatically. Whatever the case, both cards were up and running.

We then found macroblocking on channel 803 (CW), but no where else. The installer determined that the cable to the wall, the splitters outside, and the wall junction were all working normally, and decided to swap out my ONT box. He "upgraded me from 806 to 812" (which I assume are model numbers), which essentially meant that my Internet was now connected via coax to the router instead of Ethernet. He explained that the coax (MoCa) has more bandwidth available to work with, so while I won't ever need or use that bandwidth, I won't complain. Doing this ONT upgrade corrected the picture quality issue on channel 803, and I haven't seen any other PQ issues on ANY channel.

So now everything is set up, and I'm a pretty happy camper. The install process was easier than I had expected, and I now have HD, and a dual-tuner tivo (which I've never had). I found myself watching boxing on ESPN for no reason other than it was in HD.

Last edited by webin : 03-22-2008 at 11:36 AM.