TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #721
Bandit LOAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp View Post
Unless they actually cancelled the older order, nothing will happen on 1/15
Any idea why that is?

Edit: You sufficiently terrified me, so I called up Verizon again... the first person who responded was able to find the 1/15 appointment without being prompted and claimed that the 1/14 listing was now "empty." Of course, I've had Verizon insist things to me before -- so who knows!

Last edited by Bandit LOAF : 01-07-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Bandit LOAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:00 PM   #722
Eudmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvthree View Post
Is this new? It sure seems like a good way to avoid a lot of problems.

Al
I don't know if it's around all over, but I swear that's what happened.

He navigated the telephone menus after quoting his technician number and the number on his Secure Key. I heard them quoting serial numbers for the other CableCard that I had installed successfully already and asking if he wanted to deactivate it.

He said "no" to the deactivation so they asked about the one that he had checked out, he said "yes" and a few minutes later I got a 161-4 error from the "initialize" hit (according to the tech) and another 161-4 error from the "activate" hit (also according to the tech) and after an initial panic for about 10 minutes where it seemed that it wasn't working it just started working. It was receiving OOB messages the entire time, so maybe it was just downloading stuff.

So far, in my experience, if the test channels on the cablecard menu work, then the setup is done and a guided setup and/or reboot will set it all right. We had some confusion when we were able to get the test channel on cablecard 2 to tune, but were not able to switch tuners on live TV. A guided setup set that right.
Eudmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:47 PM   #723
aaronwt
HD Addict

I never had to reboot any of my TiVoHD boxes or Series 3 boxes when the cable cards were installed. I glad I had the rest of mine done 2 months ago since people seem to be having problems now.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #724
SamReidland

Verizon support guy came to the house today and installed my cable cards in my HD TiVo. I had set up the TiVo a few days ago and installed the latest software (9.2 I think). He put both cards in and wrote down the various numbers, went to his truck to do the laptop thing. Came back in and all worked perfectly. The entire process took about 30 to 40 minutes. Most of the he was in his truck activating the cards. He had done TiVo before. He did say that some go well and some do not. I guess I was lucky.

I had several TiVos back when they were new, up until about a year ago when I got FIOS. I finally got fed up with their DVR. Glad to be back on TiVo.
SamReidland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #725
DeWitt

I just went through a FIOS Install in my mothers building (Multi unit - fiber to ONT in Unit)

The Tech mentioned that he has done several TIVO installs. (He was a very experienced senior tech) He mentioned that he found the Tivo's sensitive to a too hot line from the ONT. I could blame this on the cable cards rather than the Tivo, but the issue is the same...

He said that if he carefully checked levels and attenuated them to specification level everything worked fine.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #726
ah30k

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt View Post
I could blame this on the cable cards rather than the Tivo, but the issue is the same...
Don't think so. The RF receivers/tuners are in the host not CableCARD. The CableCARD interface is purely digital. Nice try though.

Last edited by ah30k : 01-10-2008 at 06:34 PM.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:12 AM   #727
ufo4sale

Why is it, that on my TivoHD, I only get HD channels on one cable card but not the other?
ufo4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #728
gnatz

Chicken before the egg question

I used to have DirecTV HDTivo, but moved over to FIOS and just bought a standalone TivoHD. With the D* HDTivo, Tivo service was managed by DirecTV, so there was no need to open an account with Tivo. However, now that I have a standalone TivoHD unit, will I need to obtain Tivo service prior to having cablecards installed in the TivoHD, or can I wait to activate Tivo service after the cablecard installation? TIA
gnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #729
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatz View Post
I used to have DirecTV HDTivo, but moved over to FIOS and just bought a standalone TivoHD. With the D* HDTivo, Tivo service was managed by DirecTV, so there was no need to open an account with Tivo. However, now that I have a standalone TivoHD unit, will I need to obtain Tivo service prior to having cablecards installed in the TivoHD, or can I wait to activate Tivo service after the cablecard installation? TIA
You will need to sign up within the first week of running guided setup. You can pay $12.95/mo, $129/yr ($10.75/mo), or $299/3yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo4sale View Post
Why is it, that on my TivoHD, I only get HD channels ons one cable card but not the other?
If you don't get a picture on one tuner, then one of your CableCards wasn't properly activated. When both cards are activated properly, you will get all the same channels on both tuners.

You should be able to resolve this over the phone, but before you can do that, you need to find out which CableCard needs activation. To do that, set each tuner to a different digital channel, such as 825 and 826. I'm assuming you know how to switch tuners, i.e. press the right arrow to bring up info display, then down press down arrow to select the other tuner.

Go to the System Information -> CableCard X.. -> Conditional Access screen. A correctly activated FiOS CableCard will appears as follows:

For each CableCard, it should say Connected: yes, EnabledByCP: yes and Auth: Subscribed on an encrypted digital cable channel. Do that for both CableCard 1 and CableCard 2 to determine which CableCard that doesn't match the above.

Once you verify which of the two cards still needs to be activated, take out the card and write down its serial number. Then plug it back in and pull up the System Information -> CableCard .. -> CableCard Pairing screen (shown below) for that card. Call Fiber Solutions @ 888-553-1555 before 6pm.

Tell Fiber Solutions that one of your CableCards was not properly activated. Tell them you know the card serial number and have all the activation information on the screen.

Last edited by bkdtv : 01-15-2008 at 12:38 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #730
davidac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatz View Post
I used to have DirecTV HDTivo, but moved over to FIOS and just bought a standalone TivoHD.
I too am in the process of dropping D* and getting FiOS. Installer is supposed to come today. Just a note on tivo sevice. you can also qualify for lifetime service as a D* tivo customer even though it is not managed by tivo anymore. At least that is what I was told and that is what I paid for though they haven't activated it yet. Supposedly because of the unique circumstance it can take up to 5 days. Well this is day 5. Still waiting. My status says internal testing on the Tivo. So it works for now anyway.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:09 PM   #731
rob.williams

I called for cable cards for my new HD TIVO, and the CSR said that as of "last week" they can send out the cards without a technician. Should I expect a follow-up call telling me that they will need to roll a truck?
rob.williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #732
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.williams View Post
I called for cable cards for my new HD TIVO, and the CSR said that as of "last week" they can send out the cards without a technician. Should I expect a follow-up call telling me that they will need to roll a truck?
The CSR was mistaken. The computer system gives them the option to ship CableCards to customers, but all of those orders are canceled later in processing.

A $25 truck roll is required. If you ask a sales rep to ship you cards, that will delay installation by 1-2 weeks. You save that time by asking for a truck roll from the start.

When you request the installation, be sure you indicate that the CableCards are going to your existing TV, not a new TV outlet. Verizon will charge you extra if they think the CableCards are going to new TV, requiring another TV outlet installation.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #733
Bodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I'm assuming you know how to switch tuners, i.e. press the right arrow to bring up info display, then down press down arrow to select the other tuner.

That or just press the "Live TV" button once.
Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #734
PhiTauBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiTauBill View Post
Well, I promised an update, and here it is. Verizon called me Saturday night (1/5/2008) and indicated they had availability on Sunday (1/6/2008) a.m. which I gladly accepted b/c that meant I wouldn't have to work from home on Tuesday (1/8/2008), my originally scheduled time.

Unfortunately, once Sunday morning rolled around, they called me and indicated that they had NO cablecards in the area, and did not know when they would have more. That's not good consdering the fact that I need 4, and failure rates seem to be in the 25-50% range... seems like I'd want the installer to have at least 6 of them to have a good chance of success... so, he said they'd place the job order in "jeopardy", whatever the h@ll that means... [sigh] I wonder if I'll ever have my cablecards...

Anyone have asimilar experience where there are NO cablecards available?

I'll keep you posted on my progress... at least point I am not too hopeful that it will be done tomorrow, Tuesday, as originally scheduled.

We'll see...

Regards,
Bill

Once again, another update...

I never had a service visit on January 8, 2008. When I called Verizon again, they indicated that they had no idea when cable cards would be back in stock from the manufacturer. Great news...

I called customer service again this evening, January 15, 2008, and this time the representative decided it would be best to schedule another truck roll. The best date he could get me was February 4, 2008, more than a full month following my initial order date (I expect a full refund of my STB fees for this period, but I'll tackle that later). I'm still not particularly hopeful that this will go well as he was pretty wishy-washy on guaranteeing cablecard availability (I need 4 for my two TivoHDs), but I guess I have no choice at this point. Since I've gotten so jazzed up over the conduct of the salespeople, I've went ahead a filed an FCC complaint... we'll see what I hear on that end... perhaps the NJ BPU deserves a strongly worded communication, as well.

Anyone had a cable card install in NJ lately?

Regards,
Bill
PhiTauBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #735
steak

I guess cable cards are in abundance here in NoVA. I called Verizon today and they offered to come out on Thursday but I told them Friday was better. They said okay and are supposed to be coming out to install 2 cable cards into my new S3.

Here's hoping all works out well!!!
steak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #736
gnatz

Quote:
Originally Posted by steak View Post
I guess cable cards are in abundance here in NoVA. I called Verizon today and they offered to come out on Thursday but I told them Friday was better. They said okay and are supposed to be coming out to install 2 cable cards into my new S3.

Same here in my neighborhood. I called Monday and they're coming out Thursday with 2 cards....fingers crossed.
gnatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #737
davidac

So I had my install yesterday. technician had no cable cards and no knowledge that I needed them. He just called his boss and they brought them over some 3 hours into the install. We got them installed. and an HD box in the bedroom. Then he had to call in to get the cable cards activated. He has to sit on hold for 40 minutes. Finally gets a guy, he activates the box and the first cable card, we keep him on the line and insert the second cable card, give him the numbers and he activates that supposedly. says it is a little back up. The first cable card works on all channels. The status in the menus looks good. The second cable card gets the locals only. No encrypted digital channels, no HD. He says to wait a little while. He goes out to his truck to pack up. We wait. Still doesn't work. He says to call in and that I will have quicker access to someone than he did. He leaves. I wait another hour, still not working. I call in. wait 40 minutes or get a call back in 40 minutes. Get a call back in 40 minutes to say I will get a call back in 10 more minutes. get a call back in 10 more minutes, and the guy I get is useless. Re-seat the HDMI cable is his only suggestion. Which even though I know that is not gonna do anything I do so. And of course it doesn't. He is telling me he is waiting on the help desk to tell him what to do, I am thinking he is the help desk. Guess I was wrong. I told him my installer told me to ask to talk to a Network Technician. He says he can open a case with them but I cannot talk to them. OK open a case but don't have them call me back tonight I am going to bed. Did I mention I was told to expect the installer bet ween 8 and 10 AM. Installer did not arrive till around 2. Not his fault, doing what he was told to do. Or course no on told me this. Anyway, back up this morning. locals, and HD work, but no digital encrypted, so I need to call again. I am so looking forward to that. and I also have a problem with the HD box. I have to unplug it and plug it back in the get a video signal to come out of the HDMI port. So much for a remote control turning on the TV. Needless to say this hasn't gone as smoothly as I had hoped.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #738
Bandit LOAF

Quote:
Edit: You sufficiently terrified me, so I called up Verizon again... the first person who responded was able to find the 1/15 appointment without being prompted and claimed that the 1/14 listing was now "empty." Of course, I've had Verizon insist things to me before -- so who knows!
Just thought I'd follow up -- the installer did show up last night and he was very friendly and was happy to listen to me when we ran into trouble (which is to say that he was happy to listen to you kind people, vicariously.)

The process took about two and a half hours because we kept finding cards that hadn't been properly activated... but he was willing to stay (until 8 PM!) and keep swapping them out and calling them in over and over until we had two that worked.

Some of Verizon's phone people need a better script but their techs are top notch -- they really put Comcast to shame. I'm so deliriously happy to have a working Tivo again... my poor old Series 2 died several months back and I've been living without since then.
Bandit LOAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #739
rob.williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob.williams View Post
Just a quick follow-up. Of course, they needed to roll a truck. However, they didn't tell me when they were going to come by. I got a call at 11:20AM telling me that they were at my house, as I had an 8AM-5PM appointment scheduled. Mind you, I called yesterday to get the cable cards. They were as surprised as I was, as appointments are usually 16 days out, according to the installer.

Usually, this wouldn't be a problem, but I was at my wife's Lasik appointment, and couldn't get home until Noon. They couldn't wait, so had to reschedule me. For the 29th, of course.

Oh well...

(edit - I just noticed FTD's post below. The tech I spoke with said this was going to be his first card install, so he and his supervisor were there to activate the cards.)

Last edited by rob.williams : 01-16-2008 at 05:57 PM.
rob.williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #740
FullThrottleDave

Success with Fios Cable Card

Just wanted everyone to know that some of the Verizon techs in Oregon are learning about Tivo HD and Cable Cards. Two came out this morning to install two single cards in a new TivoHD. They were aware that one at a time was the way to go and were patient with the process.
After activating the card in the first slot we moved to the second slot and I started the guided setup, They then left promising to call at the end of the day.
The card in the second slot became authorized but slot 1 did not. I called and they were able to swing by again.
They updated the firmware in the router, (which should not have done anything) and the de-authorized and re-authorized the card in slot 1.
I re-ran guided setup and both are now working!
Premiere XL
Romio Plus
Mini
Fios
FullThrottleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:32 PM   #741
rifleman69

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullThrottleDave View Post
Just wanted everyone to know that some of the Verizon techs in Oregon are learning about Tivo HD and Cable Cards. Two came out this morning to install two single cards in a new TivoHD. They were aware that one at a time was the way to go and were patient with the process.
After activating the card in the first slot we moved to the second slot and I started the guided setup, They then left promising to call at the end of the day.
The card in the second slot became authorized but slot 1 did not. I called and they were able to swing by again.
They updated the firmware in the router, (which should not have done anything) and the de-authorized and re-authorized the card in slot 1.
I re-ran guided setup and both are now working!

Should have never let them leave in the first place. Firmware in the router doesn't do anything for the TiVo's so you're correct on that.
rifleman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:21 PM   #742
steak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steak View Post

Well I had my CC install today and all went very well. The technician had experience with installing CC's into Tivo boxes and within 40 minutes I had both installed and working. The tech told me that they have had many people move over to TIVO from their Moto boxes due to the technical problems with the IMG on the FIOS DVRs.

He also knew about the potential attenuation issues and gave me an attenuator to use in case I had problems along with his cell phone number in case he needed to come back out to adjust the signal.

That has to be one of the best techs I have ever had from VZ!

Now I have to setup all my season passes!
steak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #743
PhiTauBill

Thumbs up A Great Final Resolution from an Excellent Tech!

Quote:
Once again, another update...

I never had a service visit on January 8, 2008. When I called Verizon again, they indicated that they had no idea when cable cards would be back in stock from the manufacturer. Great news...

I called customer service again this evening, January 15, 2008, and this time the representative decided it would be best to schedule another truck roll. The best date he could get me was February 4, 2008, more than a full month following my initial order date (I expect a full refund of my STB fees for this period, but I'll tackle that later). I'm still not particularly hopeful that this will go well as he was pretty wishy-washy on guaranteeing cablecard availability (I need 4 for my two TivoHDs), but I guess I have no choice at this point. Since I've gotten so jazzed up over the conduct of the salespeople, I've went ahead a filed an FCC complaint... we'll see what I hear on that end... perhaps the NJ BPU deserves a strongly worded communication, as well.

Anyone had a cable card install in NJ lately?

Regards,
Bill
A final update, for now...

Well, after forwarding my complaints up the chain a bit at Verizon, I received two calls this week, one from a Verizon corporate representative, and then a second one from an area tech supervisor to escalate my request and schedule an appointment ASAP. The Verizon tech came this morning (Saturday, 1/19), and I am extremely happy to report that both TivoHDs are working beautifully. The tech was very knowledgeable, and had done several TiVo installs. He had some issues getting my premium channels on the 2nd cable card for both TiVos, and I suspect that had something to do with the fact that he did insterted both cable cards at once from the get-go, but I didn't care, because he kept working until all the channels were authorized and working well.

While he was there, I asked him about my issues with the ActionTec router (which I had set up as a bridge to my own D-Link router due to issues with my security system accessing the internet through via UPnP on the ActionTec), and he was able (after calling for authorization since this was set-up as a video only "truck roll") to switch me over from MoCA to LAN (supplying a NIM for the IMG/VOD for my last remaining cable box) as well (taking my ActionTec out of the loop), so that I killed two birds with one stone. I couldn't be happier!

When I had spoken with the Verizon corproate representative, he assured me that verizon does support cable cards, and that the sales representative that gave me some misleading information (both about capabilities and costs) would be receive some corrective training. Further, for my troubles, they would waive the $24.99 "truck roll" (my words, not theirs) fee and $24.99 service downgrade fee.

With respect to cable card availability, it does seem that they are still a little tight on supply, and that the holiday push of TiVo sales likely exceeded their expectations. Hopefully, they'll have it resolved soon.

For now, though, I'll go on the record as a satisfied customer despite the hideous start to this saga. Hopefully, as time goes by, they'll have the remaining kinks in the system worked out. Verizon has only been in the video game for a couple of years after all, and in my area (Mercer County, NJ) for less than a year, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with respect to a learning curve.

Best of luck to all of you in reaching similar result.

Regards,
Bill

P.S. As a ironic post-script, Verizon switched over my area to the new IMG on their STBs earlier this week, and I have to say that is quite a bit of an improvement over the prior guide in functionality. It's not enough to have me longing for a cable STB or anything, but I dare say that it is a pretty attractive interface.

P.P.S. While he was here, I asked the tech when he anticpated the next HD expansion from Verizon would come, and he indicated that they expect that, by the end of February, there should 100 HD channels. I hope he's right!
PhiTauBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #744
aaronwt
HD Addict

Service downgrade fee? FIOS has a fee for everything. Luckily they also seem to be open to waiving those fees if you complian loud enough.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 09:23 PM   #745
markgrogers

Stuck in 161-4 Hell

Brand new Series 3 hooked-up yesterday. Ran set-up with Comcast cable per TiVo instructions even though today was FIOS install. Networking (ethernet); TiVo Home Media installed on PC every working great. TiVo connected and updated software. Tested recording, transfer, etc., all perfect.

FIOS Tech arrived and set up cable boxes on 2 TVs. Splitter on coax cable from wall puts signal into Verizon/Moto cable box & into TiVo. Inserted Cable Card into bottom slot per instrucitons. 161-4 error came up immediately. Per other posts here, I waited for progress- hours went by still 161-4 error.

TiVo still says "161-4 error- Call your cable provider". Verizon Tech Guys says there is no one to call and nothing he can do unless the screen with the cable card ID info gets displayed. He sets up 2 TVs with cable boxes and they work fine. He leaves, I ask him to leave the cable cards.

I try re-booting TiVo, waiting again, still 161-4. I switch-out first card, and place 2nd card in bottom slot- still 161-4. I reboot TiVo again, wait again- nada- still 161-4. Its now been 6 hours, multiple reboots of TiVo, 2 different Moto cable cards both tried in bottom slot. No matter what I have tried, still 161-4 error.

Called Verizon Tech Guy (he gave me his number). He still says nothing he can do unless screen with card info appears. His diagnosis: bad TiVo unit; suggests sending it back. 'Told him TiVo was set-up and functioning perfectly earlier today (pre-FIOS). He has no suggestions- just return bad TiVo unit.

Any help/suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks if you read this far.

Mark
Old 01-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #746
Bodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgrogers View Post
161-4 error came up immediately. Per other posts here, I waited for progress- hours went by still 161-4 error.

TiVo still says "161-4 error- Call your cable provider". Verizon Tech Guys says there is no one to call and nothing he can do unless the screen with the cable card ID info gets displayed. He sets up 2 TVs with cable boxes and they work fine. He leaves, I ask him to leave the cable cards.

I try re-booting TiVo, waiting again, still 161-4. I switch-out first card, and place 2nd card in bottom slot- still 161-4. I reboot TiVo again, wait again- nada- still 161-4. Its now been 6 hours, multiple reboots of TiVo, 2 different Moto cable cards both tried in bottom slot. No matter what I have tried, still 161-4 error.
Mark

Quote:
14. There was an error message during the installation of the CableCARDs. Now what?

Depends on the error message. If you received a 161-4 error code, this can be safely ignored (it is actually a "good" error).

Bodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:04 AM   #747
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
P.S. As a ironic post-script, Verizon switched over my area to the new IMG on their STBs earlier this week, and I have to say that is quite a bit of an improvement over the prior guide in functionality. It's not enough to have me longing for a cable STB or anything, but I dare say that it is a pretty attractive interface.
I can't agree. Pretty, yes; but the functionality is actually a step backwards in some important respects that you may not have noticed yet.

Quote:
P.P.S. While he was here, I asked the tech when he anticpated the next HD expansion from Verizon would come, and he indicated that they expect that, by the end of February, there should 100 HD channels. I hope he's right!
That's overstating it a bit, I think. Last I heard, the official word from Verizon (via press releases) was 150 HD channels by the end of the year, but starting with 30 by... an unspecified time in the near future.

They have to cut off their analogs to add more than 30 (and maybe even to add that many), BTW, and do some network upgrades to allow all 150.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:31 AM   #748
markgrogers

Yes- thanks- saw this, which is why I waited (and waited...and waited...).

Per those posts about the "good error", after waiting 10-20 minutes the card was recognized and the "gray" screen that Verizon needs to "activate" the card appears.

Unfortunately for me, no gray screen ever appears- just the 161-4 error. If I try to change screens and go to any other TiVo screen, after a second or two, the 161-4 error screen pops back up.

So, for others, this may have been a "good error" since after ignoring it for 10-20 minutes they progressed beyond it. In my case, I am just !%$#$!ing stuck with 161-4 no matter how long I wait (and I am not kidding when I said I waited hours- with card switches, reboots, etc., in between).

'Still looking for any help/suggestions.

Thanks again.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #749
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

Look into the diagnostic screens and see if you're actually getting a signal (it'll show a value measured in dB). Mine showed up as 26dB.

Do you have another device that could use the cablecards? I plugged mine into my Pioneer plasma. One worked right away. The other required the VZ tech to activate it again. Once both worked I put 'em back in the Tivo. Neither worked, so I swapped them around and rebooted. I re-ran the entire guided setup program, again. That got them working.

My suggestion? With your current setup, remove the cablecards (just pop 'em out of the slot) do a channel scan again. Yes, without the cards inserted. Mine took a while and resulted in someone just shy of 500 channels detected (460-something?). If you don't see that many channels being detected then there's no hope of the cards working. The channels are "there" and detectable without a cablecard. But they can't be tuned and viewed without the card. If your Tivo by itself doesn't detect those channels then you have either a cabling problem or the Tivo itself is bad. You want to make sure it's not a cabling problem FIRST. If necessary, string a known-good RF cable directly from the ONT to the Tivo. It's entirely possible the ONT is mis-configured or bad.

Once that was done I rebooted, again with the cards still not inserted. Upon reboot I inserted the cards and re-ran the whole guided setup again.

There really is too much mystery involved with these damn things. I would help a lot if there was some sort of more comprehensive debug or monitoring info we could read while they're in the Tivo.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #750
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
For each CableCard, it should say Connected: yes, EnabledByCP: yes and Auth: Subscribed on an encrypted digital cable channel. Do that for both CableCard 1 and CableCard 2 to determine which CableCard that doesn't match the above.
What if EnabledByCP is "no?" My cable cards seem to work fine (save some blocking on a couple of channels), but as I prepare to switch out to a new THD, I notice that though I get all channels, on the one THD, both cards have "No" for this line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote