TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #661
westcoastexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Until the CableCards are activated, channels 1-50 are analog. The analog channels do not look nearly as good as the digital versions, which is what you get with the TiVoHD once the CableCards are activated.

As soon as the CableCards are activated, analog 1-50 is replaced with digital versions of 1-50.
not certain if it matters, but this was an older episode of Seinfeld on channel 52, TBS.
westcoastexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:03 PM   #662
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastexport View Post
having just installed series3, i am also noticing audio breaks. they are very short but aggravating breaks in the audio signal. anyone having this issue?
Make sure you have the latest 9.2a software. I am going to assume that you do.

Open System Information -> Diagnostics. Do you see a lot of RS Uncorrected Errors? If so, your FiOS signal is probably too strong for the TiVo and you'll need some attenuation. More about that here.

RS Uncorrected Errors is how the TiVo measures signal errors that cause pixelization and audio dropouts.

Last edited by bkdtv : 11-29-2007 at 04:10 AM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:10 AM   #663
westcoastexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Make sure you have the latest 9.2a software. I am going to assume that you do.

Open System Information -> Diagnostics. Do you see a lot of RS Uncorrected Errors? If so, your FiOS signal is probably too strong for the TiVo and you'll need some attenuation. More about that here.

RS Uncorrected Errors is how the TiVo measures signal errors that cause pixelization and audio dropouts.

Until they get both cards installed, I don't think trying to diagnose this is worth it.

BTW, I don't have 9.2. I have 8.01 which is supposed to be upgraded to 9.2 within 48 hours of TiVo activation. I only have a phone line to the S3 right now (just bought the wireless USB modem yesterday) and can't be sure that it isn't timing out. Looks that way based on connection results.
westcoastexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #664
dallastx

Jerky picture

I've had my Series 3 HD for a couple of months and generally am very satisfied. Howver, I've started watching football games on my 6416 because the TiVo seems to drop frames on quick action like football. Since the picture from the 6416 is perfect, it doesn't appear to be the Verizon signal.

I notice this also on some shows on The CW.

One of my biggest complaints about the FiOS 6416 was the fast forward and rewind. The new program seems to have corrected that problem completely.

Now if they could just copy TiVo's program descriptions and offer larger disks I'd be happy with with 6416.

An aside, is there a way to see the entire TiVo program description when it's too long for the display box?
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:22 AM   #665
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
I've had my Series 3 HD for a couple of months and generally am very satisfied. Howver, I've started watching football games on my 6416 because the TiVo seems to drop frames on quick action like football. Since the picture from the 6416 is perfect, it doesn't appear to be the Verizon signal.
I assume you've checked to be sure there are no RS Uncorrected errors on your TiVo's diagnostics screen?

Assuming there are no such errors, a reboot will usually fix this "stutter" issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx View Post
An aside, is there a way to see the entire TiVo program description when it's too long for the display box?
Yes. Press the INFO button on the remote.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #666
bcwaller

I just bought my first ever TiVo (Series 3) after years of ReplayTV and Cable company DVRs. The Verizon FiOS software was so awful that I chose to buy the TiVo and get rid of their DVR. I called for installation of the cable cards on Saturday and got scheduled for Monday AM. This was in Redondo Beach, CA. Installation took a half hour for both cards and another half hour to update the TiVo for the new setup.
bcwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:50 AM   #667
sommerfeld
Lucky (?) 200 member

Just had FIOS TV installed in Arlington MA and connected to a Series 3 with two single-stream cable cards.

Pulling the drop cable and getting the right light to the ONT took forever but once the ONT was up and happy, the cablecard install went quickly.

One confusing bit was that the provisioning application on the installer's laptop asked for (among other things) 13-digit "pod id", which turned out to be the cablecard number as reported by the pairing screen; that number was not printed on the outside of the card.
sommerfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #668
ChickenCheese
with BBQ sauce

Is there anything I need to do to go from Comcast's cablecards in my Series 3 to Fios' cable cards? Any kind of reset?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:44 AM   #669
Martin Tupper
Pontiff Emeritus

You'll need to rerun the guided setup.
Martin Tupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #670
ChickenCheese
with BBQ sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Tupper View Post
You'll need to rerun the guided setup.
Can I do that before the appointment, so it's ready for them? Or do I need to do that after they install the cable cards?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:31 AM   #671
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenCheese View Post
Can I do that before the appointment, so it's ready for them? Or do I need to do that after they install the cable cards?
You can do it before.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #672
aaronwt
HD Addict

And it will have you do it again after the CC install.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #673
sommerfeld
Lucky (?) 200 member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenCheese View Post
Is there anything I need to do to go from Comcast's cablecards in my Series 3 to Fios' cable cards? Any kind of reset?
If you can't get at the back of the S3 in its normal location, make sure you have enough slack in all the cables to let you pull the unit out while still plugged in.

FiOS inside and outside wiring and setting up the ONT and its battery box take a while; the cable cards come up as the very last phase of the install. If my experience was any guide, you should have plenty of time after they arrive to pull the comcast cable cards and re-run guided setup in parallel with their install.

Mid-way through guided setup, there will be a screen where it asks you if it guessed right on a channel -- just accept whatever channel name it gives you (it will obviously be wrong moving from comcast to fios).

When the FiOS installers get everything hooked up and you see analog channels, have them insert the first card, get it working, and then insert the second card.

You then run guided setup a second time to get guide data for the rest of the channels. That will take a while; they don't need to stick around for that -- you'll be better off testing new channels w/o guide data while they're there.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #674
psuzebra

Arrow Follow-up on my experience so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuzebra View Post
So I tried to get my new TiVO HD working with two CableCARDs this morning. The FIOS guy came with 5 CableCARDs in hand, he had never done a TiVo installation before but was very patient while we tried to work through some of the problems.

We first tried a CableCARD in slot 1, but we kept getting 161-4 errors over and over. So he tried another CableCARD in slot 1, same result.

He then took the CableCARD and moved it from slot 1 to slot 2. After a minute, the pairing information came up for CableCARD 2. He went ahead and initialized and activated the CableCARD through his laptop. Then we went to "Test channels" and it was stuck on the "Acquiring channel info" screen for 15 mins or so.

At this point, I called up TiVo's tech support to get some help.

First, they had us power down and restart the TiVo. After it started back up, they had us install a third CableCARD into slot 1. Still getting repeating 161-4 errors.

We then moved that third CableCARD to slot 2. Pairing info came up after a minute or two and the tech went ahead and initialized and activated the card. We went to Test channels, it showed the Acquired channel info screen for about two minutes and then we were able to see the broadcast! However, as I scanned through the channels, it became obvious that I was only getting the local channels (3-49, 810-817) and none of the cable channels.

However, of greater concern was getting a CableCARD to work in slot 1. We tried inserting the remaining two CableCARDs that he brought in slot 1 as well as the ones we already tried. They all give 161-4 errors over and over. TiVo tech support concluded that the slot was bad and is sending out a new unit.

In the meantime, did anyone else have a similar experience? Did anyone else have a defective CableCARD slot? Also, does anyone know why I was only getting local channels on the working CableCARD?
So I got the new TivoHD unit yesterday. The FIOS tech had left two of the CableCARDs that worked in slot 2 of the previous unit, since TiVo tech told us that if it works in slot 2, then the CableCARD isn't broken.

I plug in the THD and start guided setup. On the CableCARD screen, I insert a CableCARD into slot 1. Doncha know it, I start getting 161-4 errors over and over again. I pop it out and insert it into slot 2. After a minute, the pairing screen comes up.

I then insert the other CableCARD into slot 1, and that gives 161-4 errors as well. Swap that into slot 2 and the pairing screen comes up.

At this point, I have no idea what's going on. I decide to remove both CableCARDs and force a connection to download 9.2a. It installs and I try everything again. Same result.

Called up TiVo tech support and explain the problem again. Gets escalated, noone has a clue, and they gave me a problem ticket. At this point, I have two apparently-working CableCARDs and my second TiVoHD and still can't watch anything.
psuzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #675
litkaj

161-4 errors are actually expected. If you leave the card in there for about 5 minutes you should get the pairing screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
litkaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #676
wdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by litkaj View Post
161-4 errors are actually expected. If you leave the card in there for about 5 minutes you should get the pairing screen.
and I'm surprised Tivo tech support doesn't know this.

You might have to wait an inordinate amount of time for the pairing screen to come up, like 5-10 minutes. Don't consider it failed unless you've waited 10 minutes.
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:53 PM   #677
litkaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave View Post
and I'm surprised Tivo tech support doesn't know this.

You might have to wait an inordinate amount of time for the pairing screen to come up, like 5-10 minutes. Don't consider it failed unless you've waited 10 minutes.
They ought to, it says it right on the CableCARD install sheet...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
litkaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #678
Roderigo

Quote:
The 161-4 error is only good if it appears once, and then, only when the cable company sends one type of hit to the card. If you get the error message consistently, then it's likely a hardware problem. In this case, since the error is always happening on the same slot, and the card works in the other slot, it sounds like a tivo hardware problem. If the error followed the card, it would likely be a card hardware error.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #679
sommerfeld
Lucky (?) 200 member

Quote:
Hmm. During my install it took a couple minutes before the pairing screen showed the three numbers they were looking for: "cable card" (which was called "pod id" on the installer's application), "host", and "data".

Once those numbers were entered in to the installer's laptop, the head end sent down initialization messages to the cards, and the tivo reported two 161-4 errors reported per cable card, shortly after the installer said he was sending each "hit" (there's an "init" message and an "activation" message).

at that point I went into the "test channels" menu for that card, and shortly thereafter all the channels started working through that card.

we then repeated for the 2nd card.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #680
bizzy

its always baffled me why tivo doesn't include info on the "161-4 Error" screen saying that it is expected and good; or even that they call it an "Error".

Pathetic.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #681
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Verizon FiOS installation management is a cluster****.

What a mess. They decided they needed to send a tech rather than letting me do a self-install, but because they sent the tech out on a "maintenance" ticket instead of an "installation" ticket, the system would not allow him to activate the cards. He had the cards in the TiVo, all the numbers and info he needed, all that he needed was the activation signal... no dice. And he couldn't get a new ticket. I've called and still can't get a new installation appointment. They're going to have to call me tomorrow. And of course I'm too busy to be out of work for another appointment anytime soon. Who knows when this will happen now.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:40 PM   #682
phoneticman

Hi,

I am a new user to Tivo (I just got married and my wife turned me on to it). In any case, got the S3, ordered FiOS and got two cable cards for the S3. Install went just as planned. I did lose some channels shortly after the tech left, but a reset of the cards and the box and everything has been up for 2 days without issue. I am in Falls Church, VA...
phoneticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 10:47 PM   #683
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneticman View Post
Hi,

I am a new user to Tivo (I just got married and my wife turned me on to it). In any case, got the S3, ordered FiOS and got two cable cards for the S3. Install went just as planned. I did lose some channels shortly after the tech left, but a reset of the cards and the box and everything has been up for 2 days without issue. I am in Falls Church, VA...
Welcome to the TiVolution!!!
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:40 PM   #684
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
its always baffled me why tivo doesn't include info on the "161-4 Error" screen saying that it is expected and good; or even that they call it an "Error".
I would guess they do this because it *is* and error.

From SCTE 28, Appendix E, 161-4 is:
Quote:
Host sets data channel RS bit but POD fails to set FR bit within 5 second timeout.
The reason it's a "good" error, is because motorola for some reason seems to cause this error as part of it's normal operation when the card is initialized. But, if this error persists, then it's no longer a "good" error, and somethings pretty wrong w/ either the tivo or (more likely) the cards.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:07 PM   #685
bizzy

Would it kill them to add a line of text that advises when the error is expected?
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #686
slocko

Wow, new to Tivo and new to married life! Remember, the Tivo will treat you better than your wife
Old 12-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #687
psuzebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderigo View Post
The 161-4 error is only good if it appears once, and then, only when the cable company sends one type of hit to the card. If you get the error message consistently, then it's likely a hardware problem. In this case, since the error is always happening on the same slot, and the card works in the other slot, it sounds like a tivo hardware problem. If the error followed the card, it would likely be a card hardware error.
Right, and sorry I left that out, but the TiVo tech mentioned that as well. If we get it more than a couple of times, there's something wrong.

We did wait 5-10 minutes on one of the cards, but it just kept looping on the 161-4 error with no real progress. Once we moved the same card from slot 1 to slot 2, there was no 161-4 error and the pairing screen came up within 60-90 seconds. TiVo originally thought it was a problem with the hardware of slot 1 so they exchanged the unit, but the new unit is exhibiting the same issue with the same CableCARDs.

I've since heard back from TiVo and they don't know what the issue is. The guy didn't think it was a problem with the TiVo since the probability of me receiving two units with bad hardware in slot 1 is so miniscule. He was willing to do another exchange but I didn't want to do that again until all other options were exhausted.

So I called up Verizon, they tried re-initializing the cards from their end, etc etc. But because we couldn't get the pairing screen up for slot 1, they couldn't reactivate the card. They are sending a tech out this morning with more CableCARDs to try.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #688
dmbfan36_23

has anyone been able to get a multistream card from Verizon?
dmbfan36_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 07:20 AM   #689
psuzebra

Big Grin Finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuzebra View Post
Right, and sorry I left that out, but the TiVo tech mentioned that as well. If we get it more than a couple of times, there's something wrong.

We did wait 5-10 minutes on one of the cards, but it just kept looping on the 161-4 error with no real progress. Once we moved the same card from slot 1 to slot 2, there was no 161-4 error and the pairing screen came up within 60-90 seconds. TiVo originally thought it was a problem with the hardware of slot 1 so they exchanged the unit, but the new unit is exhibiting the same issue with the same CableCARDs.

I've since heard back from TiVo and they don't know what the issue is. The guy didn't think it was a problem with the TiVo since the probability of me receiving two units with bad hardware in slot 1 is so miniscule. He was willing to do another exchange but I didn't want to do that again until all other options were exhausted.

So I called up Verizon, they tried re-initializing the cards from their end, etc etc. But because we couldn't get the pairing screen up for slot 1, they couldn't reactivate the card. They are sending a tech out this morning with more CableCARDs to try.
Woohoo, everything works!
It took almost 5 hours to finally get the CableCARDs to work, but I get all of the channels.

We ended up going through 8 CCs before we found two that would activate correctly. Of course, the tech was having trouble with his laptop so he had to keep calling home to do the initialization-activation, and since it was Sunday, there were probably only 5 people working in the office so we were on hold a half hour at a time.

We got MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY a few times, but fixing those just required a re-activation. Sometimes the initial activation just doesn't work for some reason even though Verizon's system says it was successful. When we got MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY, we were able to download the channel list as well as see all of the local channels (2-49, 810-817) but none of the premier channels.

The only weird hiccup was when we were testing the channels for the CC in slot 2. It randomly rebooted the TiVo twice, but it was working fine after the third time and worked fine until we went to bed last night. Dunno.

Also, no pixelation so far that other people have reported with FIOS.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #690
bdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan36_23 View Post
has anyone been able to get a multistream card from Verizon?
No, and according to Verizon press relations, they won't be available until sometime in 2008. My guess is by July 1st 2008, which is when Verizon's integrated security ban waiver expires.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote