TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-26-2007, 11:35 AM   #631
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhump View Post
i bought 3 NIM 100's off of ebay. i have to say i think that is the best technology investment i have ever made. if you have FiOS and are relying on wireless to network any device that is close to a coax run, especially a TiVo, you will not regret deploying these. install was complete plug and play using the process described in previous posts (split coax, connect coax, connect ethernet, connect power, done.).

i watched a 1 hour HD show recorded off of CBS via MRV the other night. started watching immediately and was able to FFWD thru all commercials without catching the buffer. this is the way it was meant to be.

highly recommeded.

dave
Agreed. I bought just two as I had already purchased a wireless unit -- the two THD boxes got the NIM, the S2 got the wireless and it all works just fine. I actually may hold off on expanding a drive in one of the HDs given how easily move shows back and forth....

So a question....if I wanted to also network in an XBox or Playstation to the NIM, I could just add a switch/hub like this, right? http://www.amazon.com/Switch-5-PORT-...6098855&sr=1-8

Just plug switch/hub into output of NIM, then TiVo, Xbox, PS2 into the switch ports?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dslunceford : 11-26-2007 at 11:45 AM.
dslunceford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #632
fishtank22

Just an FYI. I have VZ Fios TV and TivoHD. I have two cards in my TivoHD. It works great. Never a problem. and I am convinced that the HD quality is better than Cable (Better compression). And I never get that blocking/pixelation that you sometimes see when watching cable tv.
fishtank22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #633
segadc

So do you still need to get two cards with Verizon? Did they never release that multicard one? How much is it monthly for two cards?
segadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:47 AM   #634
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by segadc View Post
So do you still need to get two cards with Verizon? Did they never release that multicard one? How much is it monthly for two cards?
Mcards were supposed to be released in Nov., but they have none as yet. Current pricing is $2.99 per card, going up to $3.99 ea. starting in January (but locked at $2.99 if you signed up for multi-year commitment).

dslunceford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:21 PM   #635
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuzebra View Post
So I have an appt scheduled for Wednesday to get two CableCards for my TivoHD. I just happened to check my order status online and saw that it lists "Cable Card - Honor Do Not Offer". Does anyone know what that means?
Hmm... It could be an instruction to their CSRs, meaning "honor requests for CableCards, but don't offer them" (i.e., don't be the one to bring them up), which would seem to reflect Verizon's actual policy -- they don't advertise CableCards anywhere that I've seen, and they're not even available via the online signup (or at least, they weren't when I did it). But I can't believe that they'd want to expose that policy on the online status page. Then again, they could've done it by mistake.

Or, you could rearrange the words as "Do Not Honor Offer". I hope that's not what it means.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #636
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Well.

Just called Verizon about getting CableCARDs for the new TiVoHD. (A single MCard didn't seem to be an option.)

They are sending them to me to do a self-install. Given that I had to walk the techs through the process last time, it does seem simpler to have me do it myself. But I guess we will see what happens.

For some reason it's going to take over two weeks to get these things. Grumble.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #637
Joe Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAllie View Post
Well.

Just called Verizon about getting CableCARDs for the new TiVoHD. (A single MCard didn't seem to be an option.)

They are sending them to me to do a self-install. Given that I had to walk the techs through the process last time, it does seem simpler to have me do it myself. But I guess we will see what happens.

For some reason it's going to take over two weeks to get these things. Grumble.

Did you ask them if you could get the cards at their Upper Marlboro depot?

I think you are reasonably close to there plus that depot is where they have all their stuff for the technicians that serve that area.
I read somewhere that their service area is something like 50 miles which explains why Upper Marlboro is MY service depot.

When you call them, maybe you can ask if there is a service depot closer to you.

I know about that place and was there in September because they let me drop off my HD DVR at that location rather than coming by to pick it up which would have cost me $25.

I am pleased that they are letting you do a self install.

In September when I needed 2 cable cards for my Cable Card PC,they told me that current policy required a technician.
They told me that they were looking into changing that policy so perhaps they finally have.

Thanks to your post, I am going to call them and ask them if they do now allow self installs.
I want to put a third ATI Cable Card Tuner in my system (the price has dropped by $200) but my schedule is too full until Christmas to find time off to sit around and wait for a technician so I have to hold off until the holidays.

I suspect that they will have me go to the Upper Marlboro depot to get the card and it is only about a 25 minute trip from where I live. I am only a few minutes south of Annapolis.

Please post a reply if they let you get the cards from Upper Marlboro.
Be sure to get a few because those Cable Cards are notorious for being defective.

Joe
Joe Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #638
aaronwt
HD Addict

The FIOS policy for cable cards is to do a truck roll. The two people I know who were initially told they could do a self install, were later told they needed a truck roll. They didn't charge me anything when I had 4 more cable cards installed. I don't know if it was a mistake or what but so far I haven't been charged. Also with the tech there all they have to do is enter the info on their laptop to quickly get everything working. I know with Comcast it took forever getting the cards setup with the tech yelling the info over the phone several times plus waiting on hold. The FIOS way with the technicians laptop is light years ahead of the way Comcast does cable card installs.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #639
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Q View Post
Did you ask them if you could get the cards at their Upper Marlboro depot?
That's, like, totally on the wrong side of DC from me. I hope they have a closer depot than that. Anyway, it doesn't matter, because the woman I was talking to was probably in Thailand or someplace like that -- she didn't seem to know much about what was going on, never heard of an MCard, yadda yadda. It sounded like they're going to ship me two cards and a mailing label, and I use the mailing label to ship the set-top box back to them at no cost to me. Sweet.

If they decide that a truck roll is needed, I guess they'll have to call me to arrange it.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 04:41 AM   #640
sbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford View Post
Mcards were supposed to be released in Nov., but they have none as yet. Current pricing is $2.99 per card, going up to $3.99 ea. starting in January (but locked at $2.99 if you signed up for multi-year commitment).
I'm in the process of setting up TV/internet services at a new home in So Cal and was quoted $3.99 per card. The rep couldn't answer any questions about whether Mcards were available.

Is leasing the only option for cable cards w/ Verizon FIOS?
sbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 AM   #641
aaronwt
HD Addict

The cards are very expensive. If you could buy them you would be paying several hundred dollars for each one. I'd rather pay the monthly fee. SO far though FIOS hasn't added the extra 4 cables cards I added to my bill. I have 8 cable cards with them and they are only charging me for 4.(at $2.99 each). PLus they still haven't started charging me for the HBO the tech added to my account from his laptop. I guess sometimes their crappy billing system works out in favor of the customer. I'm not in any hurry to add the extra $30 in fees from the extra cable cards an HBO. If it takes 2 to 3 billing cycles to add the double/triple play, maybe it takes that long to add other things.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #642
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Also with the tech there all they have to do is enter the info on their laptop to quickly get everything working. I know with Comcast it took forever getting the cards setup with the tech yelling the info over the phone several times plus waiting on hold. The FIOS way with the technicians laptop is light years ahead of the way Comcast does cable card installs.
For some reason, my Fios installer did not use his laptop (or even bring one into the house), but called in, the old-fashioned way. And of course, he messed up a couple digits, and I had to call back later to get one of my cards activated. But at least that was an easy call.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #643
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

What a great amount of information here, thanks for everyone.

I'm buying a house in Odenton, MD (Anne Arundel County) and have the FIOS install set up for 28 December. Right now it's just a basic install with one SD box, as I'm not sure I'm going to have everything in the house for the Tech to set up the cable cards and such.

It appears from reading the thread that folks are having better luck w/ pixelation on the THD than the S3. I have an S3 now and am likely going to be buying a THD for my parents for Christmas. Would it be beneficial to give my folks the S3 and keep the THD for myself, or is there not a big enough difference between the two to worry about it. Anything else that I need to keep in mind? (I'll definitely be hitting up ebay for a few NIM100's once I figure out where I'm going to want network connections, that's an awesome and unexpected side effect of FIOS!).

One month until I can tell Comcast to BUGGER OFF!!!

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #644
ah30k

GoHokies, S3 here and no pixelation problems to report in quite some time. I did have them in the beginning. I haven't checked in with this thread in a while so hopefully my post is not too far off topic.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #645
BigHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah30k View Post
GoHokies, S3 here and no pixelation problems to report in quite some time. I did have them in the beginning. I haven't checked in with this thread in a while so hopefully my post is not too far off topic.
No S3 problems for me either.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:22 PM   #646
westcoastexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBrowning View Post
I'm running a CableCARD in my Mitsu TV fed by VZ FIOS with no problems whatsoever. While VZ had some problems initially getting the card init'd, I think those were just familiarity issues. I'll probably order an S3 in a month or so and don't anticipate any issues with moving the CC from the TV to the S3. I expect I'll have to call VZ and have them whack the CC, but, that should be no big deal.
Just had Verizon out here to install two cards for my V3 box. 5 hours later, I only have 1 card installed. They gave my guy 3 cards total, 2 of which had already been activated at someone else's house and wouldn't work here. Although he stated that he was familiar with TiVo, I found him to lack a lot of knowledge. He tried and was very patient, but ultimately hamstrung by the previously activated cards.

Unfortunately, this will require him to come back an install the final card with no timetable to accomplish that.

During the install I called TiVo for support. The support person told me that the box I was sold (it arrived from Amazon this week) had a version of the software (8.01) that was two versions old and would require 48 hours to update. He said that I would not have service until then!! I am now trying to find programs to record and many do not even show up (30 Rock, CSI: Las Vegas). A message appears stating that the box is only currently programmed through 11/29, but based on a number of searches, that is inaccurate.

My Verizon technician made a couple of comments that I can't verify:

1. Cable cards are going to be eliminated because they are so unreliable;
2. MCards are even less reliable, only working 20% of the time.

Uncertain where this could leave us, but I doubt he had all of the facts.

I love having TiVo back, but feel that I am only part way there. I look forward to my second card and the software updates.
westcoastexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #647
aaronwt
HD Addict

I have 8 cable cards working just fine on FIOS. They have been very reliable so far. Unfortunately it sounds like your tech is very uninformed.
The installation of 6 cable cards recently for me only took one hour for installation.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #648
BigHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastexport View Post
Just had Verizon out here to install two cards for my V3 box. 5 hours later, I only have 1 card installed. They gave my guy 3 cards total, 2 of which had already been activated at someone else's house and wouldn't work here. Although he stated that he was familiar with TiVo, I found him to lack a lot of knowledge. He tried and was very patient, but ultimately hamstrung by the previously activated cards.

Unfortunately, this will require him to come back an install the final card with no timetable to accomplish that.

During the install I called TiVo for support. The support person told me that the box I was sold (it arrived from Amazon this week) had a version of the software (8.01) that was two versions old and would require 48 hours to update. He said that I would not have service until then!! I am now trying to find programs to record and many do not even show up (30 Rock, CSI: Las Vegas). A message appears stating that the box is only currently programmed through 11/29, but based on a number of searches, that is inaccurate.

My Verizon technician made a couple of comments that I can't verify:

1. Cable cards are going to be eliminated because they are so unreliable;
2. MCards are even less reliable, only working 20% of the time.

Uncertain where this could leave us, but I doubt he had all of the facts.

I love having TiVo back, but feel that I am only part way there. I look forward to my second card and the software updates.
Your experience is a bit like mine. It took two trips to get four cable cards working. I think the tech's training is poor in the NOVA area. As a data point, I almost had to reschedule my second appt as the tech couldn't locate replacement cards. How the hell could that be the case?

I think your tech is BSing you on the cards. They'd rather just plug in their piece of sh*t DVR, so no excitement about cable cards. The FCC will force CC use, but the cable lobbyists managed to get a break on the time line. Don't remember all the details. No idea why an M card would fair so badly either.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #649
westcoastexport

Quote:
I have 8 cable cards working just fine on FIOS. They have been very reliable so far. Unfortunately it sounds like your tech is very uninformed.
The installation of 6 cable cards recently for me only took one hour for installation.
My lack of knowledge re the installation surely cost me a lot of time. With his computer down (dead battery) and having to call tech support and waiting on hold (probably an hour total on hold) and the slowness of TiVo's "test channel", it was pretty grueling. Trying to activate already activated cards wasn't too helpful either.

I agree about the cards and his opinion. Verizon cuts their revenue in half by installing 2 new cards and eliminating the revenue on HD DVRs. I am sure this is why they are raising rates on CCs.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:02 PM   #650
BigHat

Quote:
My lack of knowledge re the installation surely cost me a lot of time. With his computer down (dead battery) and having to call tech support and waiting on hold (probably an hour total on hold) and the slowness of TiVo's "test channel", it was pretty grueling. Trying to activate already activated cards wasn't too helpful either.

I agree about the cards and his opinion. Verizon cuts their revenue in half by installing 2 new cards and eliminating the revenue on HD DVRs. I am sure this is why they are raising rates on CCs.
Mine showed up with a dead laptop the first time too. On the second visit I got to witness a shouting match between the tech and V rep who insisted he use the laptop as he should or use the moronic voice driven menu, automated system.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:32 AM   #651
psuzebra

My experience

So I tried to get my new TiVO HD working with two CableCARDs this morning. The FIOS guy came with 5 CableCARDs in hand, he had never done a TiVo installation before but was very patient while we tried to work through some of the problems.

We first tried a CableCARD in slot 1, but we kept getting 161-4 errors over and over. So he tried another CableCARD in slot 1, same result.

He then took the CableCARD and moved it from slot 1 to slot 2. After a minute, the pairing information came up for CableCARD 2. He went ahead and initialized and activated the CableCARD through his laptop. Then we went to "Test channels" and it was stuck on the "Acquiring channel info" screen for 15 mins or so.

At this point, I called up TiVo's tech support to get some help.

First, they had us power down and restart the TiVo. After it started back up, they had us install a third CableCARD into slot 1. Still getting repeating 161-4 errors.

We then moved that third CableCARD to slot 2. Pairing info came up after a minute or two and the tech went ahead and initialized and activated the card. We went to Test channels, it showed the Acquired channel info screen for about two minutes and then we were able to see the broadcast! However, as I scanned through the channels, it became obvious that I was only getting the local channels (3-49, 810-817) and none of the cable channels.

However, of greater concern was getting a CableCARD to work in slot 1. We tried inserting the remaining two CableCARDs that he brought in slot 1 as well as the ones we already tried. They all give 161-4 errors over and over. TiVo tech support concluded that the slot was bad and is sending out a new unit.

In the meantime, did anyone else have a similar experience? Did anyone else have a defective CableCARD slot? Also, does anyone know why I was only getting local channels on the working CableCARD?
psuzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:44 AM   #652
acvthree

Do you mean that you got the 161-4 each time you tried a card or over and over with the same card? From the Tivo instructions...

>>For Motorola CableCARDs, many cable providers send an activation signal that causes the DVR to issue error 161-4. This is normal and can be ignored. If you see 161-4 more than once, or if you see any other 161-x signal, it means that the card is damaged and needs to be replaced.

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Tiv...chor=undefined

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:49 AM   #653
psuzebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvthree View Post
Do you mean that you got the 161-4 each time you tried a card or over and over with the same card? From the Tivo instructions...

>>For Motorola CableCARDs, many cable providers send an activation signal that causes the DVR to issue error 161-4. This is normal and can be ignored. If you see 161-4 more than once, or if you see any other 161-x signal, it means that the card is damaged and needs to be replaced.

http://tivosupport2.instancy.com/Tiv...chor=undefined

Al
Over and over with the same card. Over and over with all of the CableCARDs that the tech brought. Over and over in slot 1, but the same card worked in slot 2.
psuzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #654
Peanuthead

Quote:
The FIOS policy for cable cards is to do a truck roll. The two people I know who were initially told they could do a self install, were later told they needed a truck roll.
Make that three people... I was told by VZ that they would send me the CableCards, then the next day they called back and said that they had to send out a tech. to install the cards.
After 3.5 hours they still could not activate either card.
It turns out that VZ had flagged the cable CARDS as cable BOXES in their system so they could never get them configured. The encryption field was showing DES (Data Encryption Standard) and according to the VZ L2 tech. this had to be changed before the cards would work. Well the next day they modified their system to show cards vs boxes and the cards started working automatically.
Very aggrevating to have to go through all of this.
So this is something else to ask VZ, "Are my cards configured as cards vs boxes in your system"?
Peanuthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:46 PM   #655
westcoastexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Mine showed up with a dead laptop the first time too. On the second visit I got to witness a shouting match between the tech and V rep who insisted he use the laptop as he should or use the moronic voice driven menu, automated system.
Verizon came back tonight. The technician said he would be back after 4 pm. He showed up at 7. He put the second card in (he got the first card got working last night) and called Verizon to activate. Their system is down and they couldn't do it. I now have that responsibility tomorrow.

I have noticed in the <24 hours that I have had TiVo that non-HD channels are much grainier than the Fios box was. There wasn't any graininess in their live TV signal. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:02 PM   #656
acvthree

Not really. Exactly the opposite in fact. The Series 3 seems to do a good job on SD signals.
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:10 PM   #657
bkdtv

Quote:
U have noticed in the <24 hours that I have had TiVo that non-HD channels are much grainier than the Fios box was. There wasn't any graininess in their live TV signal. Has anyone experienced this?
Until the CableCards are activated, channels 1-50 are analog. The analog channels do not look nearly as good as the digital versions, which is what you get with the TiVoHD once the CableCards are activated.

As soon as the CableCards are activated, analog 1-50 is replaced with digital versions of 1-50.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #658
bkdtv

Reposted as a reminder...

There are three required steps.
  1. Add the serial number of each CableCard to Verizon's list of authorized devices. This cannot be done by computer from your home. This is supposed to be done by someone at the regional Verizon office, but it can also be done over the phone. If the rep at the office does not do this, everything else is just a waste of time.

CableCards will not work until they are entered into Verizon's list of authorized devices.

2. Add the correct serial number for the CableCard to the customer's account using the software activation program. This is typically done on the installer's notebook from the customer's home, but it can also be done over the phone if the rep is new.

3. Add the correct CableCard pairing information to the customer's account using the software activation program. This is typically done on the installer's notebook from the customer's home, but it can also be done over the phone if the rep is new.

The pairing information below is displayed about 120 seconds after a CableCard is inserted.

CableCards should be installed and activated one at a time to avoid mixing up the information for each card (Tivo's instructions are also written to avoid that). The installer should install and activate the CableCard in the main (right) slot first. After that CableCard is activated, repeat these steps for the second (left) slot.

If the installer misses any of these steps, or there is an error in any information, the CableCard will not work.

Tune to an encrypted channel you are supposed to receive, such as 825 or 826 and then go to the System Information -> CableCard.. -> Conditional Access screen. A correctly activated FiOS CableCard will appears as follows:

For each CableCard, it should say Connected: yes, EnabledByCP: yes and Auth: Subscribed on an encrypted digital cable channel.

If it doesn't say all of that, then it means your card is not authorized and will not work. If the installer already left, and the cards were not activated, you should be able to activate them over the phone by calling Fiber Solutions @ 888-553-1555; when you call, say your CableCards were not activated properly.

Last edited by bkdtv : 12-16-2007 at 05:12 AM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:03 PM   #659
westcoastexport

If it doesn't say all of that, then it means your card is not authorized and will not work.[/quote]

this worked fine for card #1, but because Verizon's system was down, they couldn't activate #2. I have all of the required info, so if they allow me to activate over the phone, i should be okay. However, nothing seems easy with these cards.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #660
westcoastexport

having just installed series3, i am also noticing audio breaks. they are very short but aggravating breaks in the audio signal. anyone having this issue?