TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-10-2007, 09:29 AM   #601
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter
Not sure what you mean - VZ does not own all equipment relating to FIOS, the Actiontec router being one example.

MoCA isnt a VZ-specific standard, other manufacturers (DLink, Linksys) have announced that they will product MoCA products (that could be in used in place of the Motorola NIM) but I havent seen anything actually for sale yet.
But I'm pretty sure no one "buys" the NIM, it belongs to Verizon. The fact that other companies might sell MoCa devices does not change the fact that this is Verizon's device.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:33 AM   #602
BigHat

Well it seems that some of the N VA techs aren't enamored with S3s. When mine called he warned me that I was going to have problems with pixelization etc.

Anyway, the phone and internet went well, but I only got one of 4 cable cards to work. The Tivo keeps shifting to the CableCard error page and the 161-4 error. We couldn't even get to the pairing page on them.

Looks like I have a trouble call coming next week to get new cards. Oh well, DTV still active until this all gets resolved.

My question: The Tivo tech support page warns that some cards (s cards here) may start with a firmware update on installation that may take 40 mins. Should you remove the card during the process you will corrupt the card and render it unless. True? My tech was popping cards repeatedly. He knew of no warning against this behavior.

Any advice on how I might make this going more smoothly next time around would be appreciated. I had cut and pasted lots of the tips from this thread into a Word document and gave it to the tech, but he seemed to be on his own program.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #603
teasip

I haven't purchased mine yet, but, doesn't the TiVo come with a one page installation guide for CC's that the installer can refer to step by step?
teasip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #604
BigHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip
I haven't purchased mine yet, but, doesn't the TiVo come with a one page installation guide for CC's that the installer can refer to step by step?
It has CC info in the manual but it's not worth much in my view.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:30 AM   #605
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasip
Yes, it does.

Many Verizon installers [without CableCard experience] forget to register CableCards when they pick them up from the office. No Verizon CableCards will work unless they are pre-registered in Verizon's system. This cannot be done via the computer. The rep can do it over the phone at your home, but they are supposed to do it when they pick up the cards in the first place.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #606
BigHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Yes, it does.

Many Verizon installers [without CableCard experience] forget to register CableCards when they pick them up from the office. No Verizon CableCards will work unless they are pre-registered in Verizon's system. This cannot be done via the computer. The rep can do it over the phone at your home, but they are supposed to do it when they pick up the cards in the first place.

But doesn't the installer need to TIVO service number(s) in order to do it? Isn't that the issue? Pairing the card to the slot?
Old 11-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #607
bkdtv

There are three required steps for Verizon.
  1. Add the serial number of each CableCard to Verizon's list of authorized devices. This cannot be done by computer from your home. This is supposed to be done by someone at the regional Verizon office, but it can also be done over the phone. If the rep at the office does not do this, everything else is just a waste of time.

CableCards will not work until they are entered into Verizon's list of authorized devices.

2. Add the correct serial number for the CableCard to the customer's account using the software activation program. This is typically done on the installer's notebook from the customer's home, but it can also be done over the phone if the rep is new.

3. Add the correct CableCard pairing information to the customer's account using the software activation program. This is typically done on the installer's notebook from the customer's home, but it can also be done over the phone if the rep is new.

The pairing information below is displayed about 120 seconds after a CableCard is inserted.

CableCards should be installed and activated one at a time to avoid mixing up the information for each card (Tivo's instructions are also written to avoid that). The installer should install and activate the CableCard in the main (right) slot first. After that CableCard is activated, repeat these steps for the second (left) slot.

If the installer misses any of these steps, or there is an error in any information, the CableCard will not work.

Tune to an encrypted channel you are supposed to receive, such as 825 or 826 and then go to the System Information -> CableCard.. -> Conditional Access screen. A correctly activated FiOS CableCard will appears as follows:

For each CableCard, it should say Connected: yes, EnabledByCP: yes and Auth: Subscribed on an encrypted digital cable channel.

If it doesn't say all of that, then it means your card is not authorized and will not work. If the installer already left, and the cards were not activated, you should be able to activate them over the phone by calling Fiber Solutions @ 888-553-1555; when you call, say your CableCards were not activated properly.
Attached Images
File Type: gif CableCardSetup.gif (29.0 KB, 278 views)
File Type: gif CableCard1_Correctly_Authorized.gif (34.7 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by bkdtv : 12-16-2007 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:55 AM   #608
jgarman

A few weeks later...

After my horrible experience trying to convince my stubborn installer to activate and install my CableCards, I contacted Verizon Executive Service. They have made it clear to me that all techs should be trained in this procedure and that there was no excuse for the technician's actions (and they were nice enough to provide a rather significant credit). I was very impressed by their response which included calling me and emailing me the day after I sent them the letter--which happened to be a Sunday. Thanks again for your help and hopefully in the future we won't have so much trouble getting CableCards out of VZ!
jgarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #609
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Well it seems that some of the N VA techs aren't enamored with S3s. When mine called he warned me that I was going to have problems with pixelization etc.

Anyway, the phone and internet went well, but I only got one of 4 cable cards to work. The Tivo keeps shifting to the CableCard error page and the 161-4 error. We couldn't even get to the pairing page on them.

Looks like I have a trouble call coming next week to get new cards. Oh well, DTV still active until this all gets resolved.

My question: The Tivo tech support page warns that some cards (s cards here) may start with a firmware update on installation that may take 40 mins. Should you remove the card during the process you will corrupt the card and render it unless. True? My tech was popping cards repeatedly. He knew of no warning against this behavior.

Any advice on how I might make this going more smoothly next time around would be appreciated. I had cut and pasted lots of the tips from this thread into a Word document and gave it to the tech, but he seemed to be on his own program.
Don't let the installer touch the TiVo remote. You should be the only one going through the TiVo menus. This one thing makes things go much quicker. 1.5 weeks ago I had 4 new cable cards installed and two cards moved from one box to another. It only took 1 hour to complete. I placed all the boxes in one room and connected the coax from FIOS to each box before the tech arrived. I also did the guided setup for FIOS the night before(not sure if this made any difference but I did it anyway)
Then with the cable card installs we staggered them. We would stick the card in one box, then insert in the second box etc. When we got back to the first box it would be showing the info the installer needed to input in the laptop and we proceeded that way. It really sped things up. Also make sure the installer has their serial numbers written down for each cable card and the box it's going in ahead of time. This will also speed things up.
This was the first CC install in TiVos for my tech and with only me changing the menus in the TiVo and staggering the card install it really shaved alot of time off the install. Also putting all my boxes in the same room with the back of the box facing where the installer would sit helped alot too.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #610
westcoastexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgt12 View Post
Let us know if they actually mail these to you.

I'm also in Howard County, MD (amazing how many local people there are on this forum). I currently have cable, but Fios will be installed in 1.5 weeks.

I'm hoping for a smooth transaction, because my comcast experience has been anything but smooth.

Cheers.
I am in Fairfax County and Verizon just said they would mail my cable card. As a neophyte with cable cards, do I need 2 cards to run tivo series 3?
westcoastexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:00 PM   #611
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastexport View Post
I am in Fairfax County and Verizon just said they would mail my cable card.
Nice!

Quote:
As a neophyte with cable cards, do I need 2 cards to run tivo series 3?
Yes.

The Tivo HD can use a single card, if you can get a multistream card (good luck with that). But that doesn't work for the Series 3, yet... hopefully it will with a software upgrade, but we don't know. (I'd have expected this to be in 9.1 or 9.2, but apparently it wasn't.)
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #612
BigHat

Quote:
I am in Fairfax County and Verizon just said they would mail my cable card. As a neophyte with cable cards, do I need 2 cards to run tivo series 3?

Wow!! This is the first I've heard of this. Please post the info that comes with the cards and how the install goes, etc.
Normally this costs you a $25 service call. Since I'm in the middle of a screwed up install, I'll probably have to have them delivered but this process isn't rocket science when all the required prep work is done.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #613
westcoastexport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Wow!! This is the first I've heard of this. Please post the info that comes with the cards and how the install goes, etc.
Normally this costs you a $25 service call. Since I'm in the middle of a screwed up install, I'll probably have to have them delivered but this process isn't rocket science when all the required prep work is done.
Will do. However, it looks like I need them to send me the second card before I can actually install this. Based on what i've read here, I may need them out here anyway...
Old 11-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #614
BigHat

Quote:
Will do. However, it looks like I need them to send me the second card before I can actually install this. Based on what i've read here, I may need them out here anyway...
The Verizon tech calls the service center and gives him his tech ID and a bunch of other jargon to start. Certainly didn't sound like DTV activation that's customer friendly.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #615
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

P.S. To clarify, you can always run with a single card. It's just that it turns your Tivo into a single-tuner device (unless it's a multistream card in a Tivo HD).
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #616
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
The two people I heard of that had this same thing happen got a call at one point and was told that a tech needs to do the install that the original service rep was wrong and there were no self installs. The techs that I talked to said that it is FIOS policy to have a technician visit for a cable card install. Besides it will also go much quicker with the tech there since they only have to enter the info in their laptop.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:28 AM   #617
westcoastexport

[quote=aaronwt;5690810]The two people I heard of that had this same thing happen got a call at one point and was told that a tech needs to do the install that the original service rep was wrong and there were no self installs.

Yep, you are correct. After calling to order a second card yesterday, they told me they were scheduled to come out tomorrow (today). Yikes! I don't even have the box yet. I rescheduled for 11/27. I'll post the results of the install.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:48 AM   #618
drhump
el duderino

NIM100 question...

does anyone know if a NIM100 will power a Power over Ethernet switch? just looking to cut a power brick out of the equation.

ohhh, and one more question... i got confused reading previous posts... do i need to split the cable and then route to both the NIM100 and the S3? or can i just run the cable to the NIM100, and the out from the NIM100 directly to the S3?

Last edited by drhump : 11-15-2007 at 12:51 AM. Reason: asked a second question
drhump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 11:56 AM   #619
TimAtkins1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhump View Post
does anyone know if a NIM100 will power a Power over Ethernet switch? just looking to cut a power brick out of the equation.

ohhh, and one more question... i got confused reading previous posts... do i need to split the cable and then route to both the NIM100 and the S3? or can i just run the cable to the NIM100, and the out from the NIM100 directly to the S3?
Pretty sure the answer to your first question is no.

As to the second question, you split the coax in 2. One split goes to the TiVo into the cable in jack to provide the TV signal to the TiVo. The other split goes into the NIM and then an Ethernet cable runs from the NIM100 to the Ethernet port of the TiVo. This split provides network connectivity to the TiVo.
TimAtkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #620
drhump
el duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAtkins1 View Post
As to the second question, you split the coax in 2. One split goes to the TiVo into the cable in jack to provide the TV signal to the TiVo. The other split goes into the NIM and then an Ethernet cable runs from the NIM100 to the Ethernet port of the TiVo. This split provides network connectivity to the TiVo.
right... but doesn't the NIM100 have a coax IN and an OUT? can i use that in lieu of a splitter?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #621
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhump View Post
right... but doesn't the NIM100 have a coax IN and an OUT? can i use that in lieu of a splitter?
It does, but the NIM100 didn't work [for me] when I used the coax out.

It does work fine with a splitter.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:52 PM   #622
JStew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarman View Post
After my horrible experience trying to convince my stubborn installer to activate and install my CableCards, I contacted Verizon Executive Service. They have made it clear to me that all techs should be trained in this procedure and that there was no excuse for the technician's actions (and they were nice enough to provide a rather significant credit). I was very impressed by their response which included calling me and emailing me the day after I sent them the letter--which happened to be a Sunday. Thanks again for your help and hopefully in the future we won't have so much trouble getting CableCards out of VZ!
I hope everything was resolved to your satisfaction. I just had two cards installed into my Series 3 and the Verizon tech never saw a Series 3 before. I handed him the card and less than 15 minutes after arriving, he was gone. I reran the quide and everything was back up to speed in less than 45 minutes, all thanks to this forum.
JStew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:01 PM   #623
Fuzz

CC cost going up $1

I just got a letter from Verizon stating that they are raising the cost of the cable cards by $1 starting in January. If I am reading the letter correctly, it appears that everyone who already has a card with be grandfathered in to the old price. The big question is: for how long?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:28 AM   #624
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I just got a letter from Verizon stating that they are raising the cost of the cable cards by $1 starting in January. If I am reading the letter correctly, it appears that everyone who already has a card with be grandfathered in to the old price. The big question is: for how long?
If you are a current subscriber, you pay the old price until January 2009.

Verizon expects to have MCARDs in 1Q 2008, so if you have a TiVoHD, you can replace two CableCards with one at that time. Hopefully, TiVo will support MCARDs on the Series3 before that $1 per CableCard price increase in 2009.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #625
bizzy

hopefully, tivo will support m cards in the s3 before 2090.
bizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:07 PM   #626
gages97

Nim100 in and out without splitter works fine for me (on 2 tivo S3s)
gages97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #627
BigHat

Thought I'd pass along as update

Tech came yesterday and replaced the 3 bad c cards. As the units gained a pictured it was VERY pixelated. I was quite concerned.

After a short while I tried it again, and couldn't make a channel pixelate. I had got some signal reducers from the installer should I have need to drop the signal strength. My installer said he doubted it would be needed as I have a 4-way splitter in place. He also gave gave me an extra splitter to swap out if required. Any way, so far so good without any added measures.

Dropped DTV down to the "retired grandmother on Social Security" plan until football season reaches the playoffs. Boy is that an ugly package -- mostly shopping and religious channels. We'll see what happens, but the DTV rep mentioned that the HD Season Ticket will be on the new sats next year. That will mean a new dish, etc.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:57 PM   #628
drhump
el duderino

NIM 100 testimony

i bought 3 NIM 100's off of ebay. i have to say i think that is the best technology investment i have ever made. if you have FiOS and are relying on wireless to network any device that is close to a coax run, especially a TiVo, you will not regret deploying these. install was complete plug and play using the process described in previous posts (split coax, connect coax, connect ethernet, connect power, done.).

i watched a 1 hour HD show recorded off of CBS via MRV the other night. started watching immediately and was able to FFWD thru all commercials without catching the buffer. this is the way it was meant to be.

highly recommeded.

dave
Old 11-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #629
Fuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
If you are a current subscriber, you pay the old price until January 2009.

Verizon expects to have MCARDs in 1Q 2008, so if you have a TiVoHD, you can replace two CableCards with one at that time. Hopefully, TiVo will support MCARDs on the Series3 before that $1 per CableCard price increase in 2009.

Did you notice that Verizon is raising the price of a service call, too? Do you think they'll charge us to swap out the 2 S-Cards for the M-Card?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:06 AM   #630
psuzebra

FIOS cable cards

So I have an appt scheduled for Wednesday to get two CableCards for my TivoHD. I just happened to check my order status online and saw that it lists "Cable Card - Honor Do Not Offer". Does anyone know what that means?
psuzebra is offline   Reply With Quote