TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #571
21364guy

Do folks know if the fios installer needs the CableCARD(tm) number or the Unit Address? I think we've been using the former– could that be why things are failing?
21364guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #572
21364guy

HD at last I had pretty much given up hope but after switching to new cards and going thru Guided Setup from the start, everything worked. This has to be about the most frustrating installation I've ever experienced. Total time at my house was over 6 hours... just to install two cablecards!
21364guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:11 PM   #573
lennier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21364guy
Do folks know if the fios installer needs the CableCARD(tm) number or the Unit Address? I think we've been using the former– could that be why things are failing?
Take him to the Cablecard Pairing screen. He'll need the Host and Data numbers for each cablecard.

I just had Verizon in to install mine. The tech had no idea what to do, as it was his first cablecard install. I had all the instructions handy so it went pretty quickly.
We were worried at the 161-4 error, but found out that was a non-issue pretty quickly.

The verizon guy was very impressed with the tivo, and hung around until I restarted guided setup, so he could see how it worked.
lennier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 PM   #574
gages97

My installer claimed that you could not insert cards with the Tivo on so he made me turn it off. Insert card1 program, off, then card 2. No matter this worked.

Key is to have patience. After the card is in it takes a good 2-4 minutes for the card info to come up. Then when you go to test channels again a good 2-4 minutes for the test channel to come up. You don't have to do anything it just pops up.

My guy had a laptop which I conencted to my wireless lan. He was able to activate the cards from a program on his laptop (via the verizon vpn), so no calls required.

BTW, I got the NIM100 box working. Plug in the coax cable from the splitter in the basement (the one that normally goes right into the Tivo) into the NIM100, connect the out cable from the NIM100 to the Tivo, and the ethernet port of the Tivo to the NIM100. I now have 100Mb/s ethernet running over moca!
gages97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:09 PM   #575
mamosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by gages97
BTW, I got the NIM100 box working. Plug in the coax cable from the splitter in the basement (the one that normally goes right into the Tivo) into the NIM100, connect the out cable from the NIM100 to the Tivo, and the ethernet port of the Tivo to the NIM100. I now have 100Mb/s ethernet running over moca!
That's what the nim is, an ethernet to coax bridge.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #576
aaronwt
HD Addict

I just had four new cable cards activated and two moved from a TiVoHD to a Series 3. It went rather quick. The tech was only there an hour to set up the 6 cable cards. It is definitely faster than Comcast since the FIOS tech just enters the info on their laptop while Comcast has to repeatedly yell the info on the phone several times until they get it right.
So now I have 8 cable cards with FIOS plus an HD STB. I wonder what will happen to my bill?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:19 PM   #577
gages97

I know this is off topic, but now that my series 3 is running on FIOS, I am going to dump the rest of my DirecTV stuff. If you read the S3 rebate carefully, you are only entitled to 2 rebates per household. So, I will end up with a mix of S3s and HDs.

Any major differences between the S3 and HD aside from mrv transfer speed?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #578
aaronwt
HD Addict

No. Not really.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #579
doconeill
Unix Guru

Just got two TivoHDs hooked up. No real problems, although after getting the CableCards initialized and then authorized, when I went to Test Channels, it seems to confuse the TiVo - the backgrounds went away, and then I couldn't get the channels to come up again. I restarted both, and everything looks fine.

Even the Conditional Access screen didn't show authorization at first. Right now, one TiVo has EnabledByCP on both, but Auth: MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY on one of them, the other SUCCEEDED.

On the other, one is SUCCEEDED, and the other still says "unknown" (and EnabledByCP is still No), but both tuners are working fine.

I'm still sorting out my home network as I got a STB for a third TV, and needed to set up the Actiontec router in line with my modified Linksys router.

Retired:
HDR312 Standalone (128 hour, on loan)
SD-DVR80 (Zipper/160GB), DSR708 (Zipper/120GB), HDVR2 (Zipper/80GB)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:50 PM   #580
cougfan

Moving from DTV to FIOS w/ HD Tivos

Can I expect any issues moving from two DirecTv HR10s to two Tivo HDs using cable cards?

Assuming the cable card install goes well, do I need anything else at the TV end that I don't already have? I've already got two cable runs at each tv running from my telecom box in the garage.

One TV has a Cat5e jack next to it, but the other does not. Do my Tivo HDs need a cat5 connection with FIOS?

Lastly, does FIOS typically charge a monthly fee for the cable cards?

Thanks for the help.
cougfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:01 PM   #581
acvthree

It should go smoothly.

You'll need (want) to have some kind of network connection. Wireless or Ethernet over power line will work just fine.

The cards are $2.95 a month each. You'll need two S-cards or one M-card.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:01 AM   #582
Marc
Now Legally Married

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill
Even the Conditional Access screen didn't show authorization at first. Right now, one TiVo has EnabledByCP on both, but Auth: MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY on one of them, the other SUCCEEDED.
I had a similar problem with my setup today. One CableCARD showed the MISSING_PROGRAM_REKEY message, while the other showed SUBSCRIBED. On the SUBSCRIBED one, I could tune to all of the subscribed channels, while the other CableCARD was limited to channels 2-49.

I called Verizon and they reactivated all of my cards. Once that was done, all four cards in two TiVo HDs reported SUBSCRIBED.

The process took about half an hour, mostly because activating the CableCARDs in a TiVo was new to the guy on the phone and he had to seek assistance from someone else. All in all, getting it fixed was handled relatively smoothly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 AM   #583
gages97

I just migrated from Direct TV to FIOS. You only need 1 coax cable per Tivo. Verizon will install a passive splitter at the inside installation location. One coax cable will go to the actiontec router. The other available coax ports connect to your stbs or tivos.

Installing the 2 x Cablecards will get you dual tuners. You will want an ethernet connection.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #584
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvthree

You'll need (want) to have some kind of network connection. Wireless or Ethernet over power line will work just fine.

Al
Given the TV is running through the same ONT as the Internet for a FiOS install, is there not a way to splice the Coax to run your network/Ethernet connection? Or if you don't have cat-5 already wired, is PowerLine or Wireless the best bet?

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:49 AM   #585
dslunceford

I think I found my answer in the MRV sticky discussion in this forum:

Quote:
Coax networking (known as MoCA)

This is a popular solution among Verizon FiOS customers. Verizon already supplies every customer with an Actiontec router that supports 100Mbps networking over the coax cable in (or outside) the home. You simply add one Motorola NIM100 adapter for each TiVo. These adapters are periodically found on ebay for $30-$60/ea. Up to seven NIM100s can be used to provide 100Mbps ethernet connections wherever you have coax cable.

You split the your coax prior to the TiVo, with one coax feed going to the TiVo and the other coax feed going to a NIM100. The NIM100 has a 100Mbps ethernet port, which you connect to the 100Mbps port on the TiVo with ethernet cable. The adapters configure themselves, so there is nothing else you have to do.
There are only five of these on eBay right now and all at around $60+ shipped. The TiVo wireless G is $39 shipped, and powerline is around $64 for a pair (Same Actiontec tivo.com sells @ amazon after rebate)

So at best, to hook up three TiVos I'd be looking at:
$210 for 3 NIM 100s (100 Mbps); includes $30 ethernet to usb adapter for S2 box
$158 for the Powerline (85 Mbps); includes $30 ethernet to usb adapter for S2 box
$117 for the Wireless (54 mbps)

I think I'll stick with wireless for the time being, especially as the TiVo G adapters seem to be holding their price well on eBay

Old 11-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #586
drhump
el duderino

this moca thing hp intriguing. Can you throw a switch on one of these adapters to have more than one port? What kind of TTG speed improvements have you guys seen?
drhump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #587
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhump
this moca thing hp intriguing. Can you throw a switch on one of these adapters to have more than one port? What kind of TTG speed improvements have you guys seen?
Under typical conditions, TivoToGo is CPU limited to around 8Mbps on the TivoHD and 15Mbps on the Series3. TiVo has said they are looking to improve TTG performance on the TivoHD, but I wouldn't expect a miraculous improvement.

Coax networking (MoCA) makes the biggest difference for MRV. With MRV, one Series3 can transfer a recording to another Series3 at up to 44Mbps. Throughput with the 802.11g wireless adapter maxes out at around 15Mbps, and 10Mbps or less if you have don't have a good wireless signal. In contrast, MoCA delivers real-world throughput of 100Mbps, more than fast enough to support 44Mbps MRV with a Series3.

I was lucky enough to get my NIM100s for about $30-35/ea before the increase in demand.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:04 PM   #588
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv

I was lucky enough to get my NIM100s for about $30-35/ea before the increase in demand.
Is eBay pretty much the only place for these, or is there another retail source?

Old 11-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #589
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslunceford
Is eBay pretty much the only place for these, or is there another retail source?
As far as I know, there is no retail source.

I'm more interested in why the guy selling one of them on Ebay calls it a "Verizon" NIM. The equipment for Fios service all belongs to Verizon.
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:50 PM   #590
dslunceford

Quote:
I just received and activated my TiVoHD today. I called verizon to find out about cable cards. The rep on the phone offered an option to ship the cards to me rather than having a truck come out so I took them up on the offer. Has anyone else gone this way with fios? In reading the posts here it seems like everyone has dealt with an installer. This is in Howard County, Maryland.
When I placed my order with FiOS for TV, I was dealing with their Executive Support team (had other issues with my service), and the person taking my order mentioned that they were starting up a process to mail out CC for self-install. I'm also in the DC metro area. Frankly, I think you could be better off, as long as the phone or PC support they have to register the cc numbers goes smoothly...

Old 11-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #591
Dick Kalagher

Another reason to get a NIM100 is that if your Actiontec router ever goes on the blink, you could use a NIM100 and another router to keep the internet going until you got a replacement. (Assuming the Actiontec is connected to the ONT via coax.)
Old 11-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #592
acvthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Kalagher
Another reason to get a NIM100 is that if your Actiontec router ever goes on the blink, you could use a NIM100 and another router to keep the internet going until you got a replacement. (Assuming the Actiontec is connected to the ONT via coax.)
A little more complicated than that.

The NIM functionality may be in a NIM100, an ActionTec that includes a NIM or some of the newer ONTs.

The ActionTec may or may not include NIM functionality. Some are empty where the NIM components were located.

In my set up, the NIM is in the ActionTec, but that is not always the case.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #593
kgt12

Quote:
I just received and activated my TiVoHD today. I called verizon to find out about cable cards. The rep on the phone offered an option to ship the cards to me rather than having a truck come out so I took them up on the offer. Has anyone else gone this way with fios? In reading the posts here it seems like everyone has dealt with an installer. This is in Howard County, Maryland.
Let us know if they actually mail these to you.

I'm also in Howard County, MD (amazing how many local people there are on this forum). I currently have cable, but Fios will be installed in 1.5 weeks.

I'm hoping for a smooth transaction, because my comcast experience has been anything but smooth.

Cheers.
kgt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #594
wdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgt12
Let us know if they actually mail these to you.

I'm also in Howard County, MD (amazing how many local people there are on this forum).
We should all get together sometime. I'll even offer to host. You'll love the Fios. They showed up for my cable card install, but that's because they had to do the whole multi-hour installation process at the same time.
wdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #595
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Under typical conditions, TivoToGo is CPU limited to around 8Mbps on the TivoHD and 15Mbps on the Series3. TiVo has said they are looking to improve TTG performance on the TivoHD, but I wouldn't expect a miraculous improvement.

Coax networking (MoCA) makes the biggest difference for MRV. With MRV, one Series3 can transfer a recording to another Series3 at up to 44Mbps. Throughput with the 802.11g wireless adapter maxes out at around 15Mbps, and 10Mbps or less if you have don't have a good wireless signal. In contrast, MoCA delivers real-world throughput of 100Mbps, more than fast enough to support 44Mbps MRV with a Series3.

Why would the TiVo transfer over MOCA faster than Ethernet? If the speed is CPU limited how would MOCA be faster. My S3 boxes max out at around 22 mbs and that is with it tuned to blanl channels and in standby mode. My network has no problem going over 500mbs throughput when doing transfers from multiple pCs.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #596
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Why would the TiVo transfer over MOCA faster than Ethernet? If the speed is CPU limited how would MOCA be faster. My S3 boxes max out at around 22 mbs and that is with it tuned to blanl channels and in standby mode. My network has no problem going over 500mbs throughput when doing transfers from multiple pCs.
MoCA is just 100Mbps ethernet over coax.

MoCA is not faster than wired ethernet. I was comparing it to wireless ethernet.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:22 AM   #597
aaronwt
HD Addict

Doesn't MoCA go up to 270mbs?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:36 AM   #598
drhump
el duderino

Quote:
Coax networking (MoCA) makes the biggest difference for MRV. With MRV, one Series3 can transfer a recording to another Series3 at up to 44Mbps.
nice. can i insert a switch or some such between the NIM100 and my S3?

i need at least one more port at the locations of each of my TiVo's. in fact, i just ordered some Buffalo 4-port wireless-g bridges that i was planning to implement over the next week or so.
drhump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:05 AM   #599
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhump
nice. can i insert a switch or some such between the NIM100 and my S3?
You certainly fan.

I have each one of my NIM100s connected to a D-Link 10/100Mbps switch. The TiVo, a Slingbox, a PS3, and a HD-DVD player are all connected to that switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Doesn't MoCA go up to 270mbs?
MoCA itself can. But the ethernet jack on the Actiontec router and NIM100 is limited to 100Mbps.

One benefit of the higher throughput is that it allows Verizon to support multiple 15+Mbps HD VOD streams without slowing network traffic, even on faster Internet plans like 50/10.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:19 AM   #600
winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg
As far as I know, there is no retail source.

I'm more interested in why the guy selling one of them on Ebay calls it a "Verizon" NIM. The equipment for Fios service all belongs to Verizon.
Not sure what you mean - VZ does not own all equipment relating to FIOS, the Actiontec router being one example.

MoCA isnt a VZ-specific standard, other manufacturers (DLink, Linksys) have announced that they will product MoCA products (that could be in used in place of the Motorola NIM) but I havent seen anything actually for sale yet.
winter is offline   Reply With Quote