TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #541
mamosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw
I already had a CAT5 ran from where the ONT is, but the installer refused to use it. He said they don't do it like that anymore and used a router with a coax input. It works great, but I did think it was odd, that they wouldn't use the existing cat5 cable.
Probably because he would have to make a call to some body and have them enable the ethernet port on the ont. Also jut by chance if you happened to have some problems with the service soon after you were installed, whether it had to do with your cat5 or not and you put in a trouble ticket it goes against the tech that did the install.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:44 PM   #542
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamosley
Probably because he would have to make a call to some body and have them enable the ethernet port on the ont. Also jut by chance if you happened to have some problems with the service soon after you were installed, whether it had to do with your cat5 or not and you put in a trouble ticket it goes against the tech that did the install.
It only took my tech a couple of minutes on the phone to change my ONT from coax to cat5. It was supposed to be set for cat5 anyway since that is what I requested when I signed up. It's definitely better using my own router instead of the actiontec. I just plug the actiontec into one of the ports on my router and the STB still works fine for VOD and the widgets.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #543
acvthree

Some people have reported connecting the Ethernet themselves and calling in to have the ONT configured properly.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 12:50 AM   #544
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Prior to 9.1, there was one (national) channel on Fios that still didn't work right with the Series 3: channel 313, GolTV. There was sound, but no picture. With 9.1, it finally works.

(I say "national" in case someone, somewhere, has problems on a local channel via Fios; I don't.)
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #545
bdraw

I finally heard back from Verizon's press relations about M-Card availability.
Quote:
We will definitely offer the M-card, beginning sometime next year.
To which I asked why; technological or business reasons? And unfortunately they weren't wiling to share this with me.

So yeah, I'm not very impressed with their PR department, but hey at least they responded.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #546
denm316

Pixelation Begins

So I have an od pixelation issue. I have had my Series 3 box for about 3 weeks with no problems at all. It seems that all of a sudden SD channels are starting to pixelate, channels like A&E and Comedy Central are barley watchable. All HD channels are working fine with no pixelation at all.

Any recommendations on this, it seemed through most of what I read that most people get pixelation on the HD channels. I am in the Bucks County, PA area, right outside of Philly.

Thanks For The Help,
-Dennis
denm316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #547
jimf

Digital channels failing to tune

We got FIOS about a week ago and it appeared to be working fine when the tech left. A day? two days? later some channels weren't tuning. Figuring it could just be the Tivo S3 being picky about having swapped from Comcast to FIOS I rebooted it. Stations seemed to tune just fine.

For a couple of days. Then some stopped working again.

We just ran a sweep of all of the channels and all the analog channels work, all the digital broadcast channels work, but none of the digital cable channels work. This is true of both tuners. The non-Tivo boxes in the house aren't having any trouble. The S3 worked flawlessly for a year on Comcast.

My question is: Has anyone heard of this kind of failure? I have no idea if this is a FIOS issue or a Tivo issue.

Thanks for any help,

jim frost
jimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:11 AM   #548
21364guy

self install?

I just received and activated my TiVoHD today. I called verizon to find out about cable cards. The rep on the phone offered an option to ship the cards to me rather than having a truck come out so I took them up on the offer. Has anyone else gone this way with fios? In reading the posts here it seems like everyone has dealt with an installer. This is in Howard County, Maryland.
21364guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:53 AM   #549
aaronwt
HD Addict

I was told specifically that they can't do that. Although even with an installer it's much easier than with Comcast. With FIOS the installer just enters the info on their notebook PC to activated the cable cards which makes it rather quick. With Comcast they had to yell the info over the phone several times until they entered the proper info. Then you had to wait and if it didn't work they had to call back again which took more time. The FIOS way was much more efficient.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #550
winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21364guy
I just received and activated my TiVoHD today. I called verizon to find out about cable cards. The rep on the phone offered an option to ship the cards to me rather than having a truck come out so I took them up on the offer. Has anyone else gone this way with fios? In reading the posts here it seems like everyone has dealt with an installer. This is in Howard County, Maryland.
I have heard of cases where FIOS customers were offered this option and then later it turns out the CSR was confused and they required a truck roll to install them.

Please let us know if they really do send the cablecards for a self-install; it would be a major improvement over the current situation.
winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:25 PM   #551
21364guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter
I have heard of cases where FIOS customers were offered this option and then later it turns out the CSR was confused and they required a truck roll to install them.
You got it exactly right. My wife called today to check on our order... after being on hold for quite a while they told her no self-install was possible. They called back later (after figuring out where our first cablecard order went?) and offered an install tomorrow afternoon. So hopefully we'll be up and running tomorrow
Old 10-26-2007, 08:11 AM   #552
twilleyj
Fios User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21364guy
You got it exactly right. My wife called today to check on our order... after being on hold for quite a while they told her no self-install was possible. They called back later (after figuring out where our first cablecard order went?) and offered an install tomorrow afternoon. So hopefully we'll be up and running tomorrow
Is Verizon charging you an install fee?!
twilleyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #553
dswartz

yes

verizon does not do self-installs. $25 for a tech visit...
dswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:30 AM   #554
jgarman

I have a tech out here NOW (I'm in Northern VA) and he is swearing up and down that FiOS is "INCOMPATIBLE" with TiVO!! He has compared the fact that I have seen so many people "on the internet" who "have this working" to the Weekly World News publishing pictures of Bigfoot! (the implication being of course that NONE of you have actually made this work!) So what magic words do I need to say to this guy to just leave the CableCards with me and try it myself?? Who should I call at Verizon/TiVO to help this process along? Help!
jgarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #555
bdraw

Tell him it's a CableLabs certified device, which means he has no choice but to install them. Tell him you will file a complaint with the FCC.

Tell him you will give him the 4 numbers he needs to activate it in his system. One number is on the back of the CableCARD and the other three on on the CableCARD screen.

If all else fails, tell him you'll give him $20 for at least trying. Sucks, but it works.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:57 AM   #556
jgarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
I was told specifically that they can't do that. Although even with an installer it's much easier than with Comcast. With FIOS the installer just enters the info on their notebook PC to activated the cable cards which makes it rather quick. With Comcast they had to yell the info over the phone several times until they entered the proper info. Then you had to wait and if it didn't work they had to call back again which took more time. The FIOS way was much more efficient.
Does anyone have more information on what the installer has to enter into his laptop to make the CableCards work? I have a feeling that unless I tell him exactly what to do he will not be willing to help me at all. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:01 AM   #557
TheBar1
Long Time Lurker

Try this from a post on Page 3 of this thread. It's a little old, but may help get you going while I try some more powerful Google-Fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene
This is a continuation of my previous thread. The entire process of rewiring for telephone, internet and cable took about 7 hours. It took nearly 2 hours to get the cablecards to work. I had printed out an article that another forum member recommended: http://techdigs.net/content/view/46/42. While it is very Comcast focused, we were able to glean enough info to help. It would have been nice if the instructions that TiVo says to hand to the installer was actually complete, but it really wasn't.

Hopefully this will help:
1) Ask for the cablecards and write down the Serial Number (SN) and the UnitAddress (UA) that is on each of the cards. Your installer will need to repeat the numbers over and over.
2) Make note of which one you put in the bottom slot, this cablecard 1.
3) When you put the card in the bottom slot, a screen will show up with the card in green. I waited several minutes just staring at this screen and nothing happened. There is an option for Configure Card 1, so I decided to select it.
4) A black screen with white information shows up. This is the MMI screen that TiVo has a picture of in their instructions. According to the info in the techdig article, the HOST and DATA numbers are critical.
5) The tech will need to provide the Host and Data info to the guy on the phone. It will take that person several tries to type the long string of numbers and letters.
6) Because they could not do one and then the other, I had to put CC2 in before we finished with CC1.
7) The screen pops up showing 2 CCs in green and there is a new option for Configure CC2. We waited a few minutes before I selected the Configure CC2. The HOST and DATA information are unique for each CC.
8) It appeared that the person on the phone had a lot of trouble keeping the information straight between the 2 cards. He kept mixing the Host and Data information between the 2 different serial numbers. Since I couldn't see the screen he had to enter this into, I can't comment on why this was so difficult.
9) I can tell you that they had to reenter this information many times. I heard that they were getting an error message, but I could not find out what the message was. The TiVo Config screens time out, so I had to go through the TiVo Central menu many times to get back to the CC screens.
10) When they are successful, TiVo will automatically go to the Test Channel screen. For me this happened to CC1. All of the sudden the TV station it is testing appears in the background. We told them to stop messing with it because whatever they did, it was working.
11) We asked them to do whatever, to the second card. They did and the TiVo screen changed to the Test Channel screen automatically.

I am up and running. So far everything is working the way it is supposed to although I have a ton of rehooking and unhooking to do.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Sony SAT-60 DirecTiVo [Est. 4/2001] (RIP 5/11/2004)
Philips DSR-708 DirecTiVo[Est. 5/2004] (RIP 8/31/07)
TiVo HD [Est. 2/2008]
TheBar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #558
TheBar1
Long Time Lurker

Also, have you already checked here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=363797

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Sony SAT-60 DirecTiVo [Est. 4/2001] (RIP 5/11/2004)
Philips DSR-708 DirecTiVo[Est. 5/2004] (RIP 8/31/07)
TiVo HD [Est. 2/2008]
TheBar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #559
dswartz

Dunno what to tell you. He is required by fcc regulations to install them. I don't care what he claims about "not supported". they are!
dswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #560
jgarman

I just have to vent... my FiOS tech just stormed out my door to find another CableCard... even though I had explicitly asked for TWO CableCards when I ordered the service, he decided that he would only bring ONE with him. I am on hold with TiVO HD support right now to find a technician who can talk this guy through the process. He has spent at least 20 minutes arguing with me about how they do not support TiVO, that it will not work, and that this is absolutely hopeless (not to mention the comparison of people posting that FiOS and TiVO work to those who post pictures of Bigfoot online!)

I am at my wits end... hopefully this will end well, but at this point the installer is taking it as a personal affront that I am asking him to install some CableCards. Geez!

BTW- I just wanted to thank all you guys for your wonderful postings, your help that you've provided me so far, and your kind words. I couldn't do this without you. I certainly feel for TiVO if this is how cable operators treat people who are just trying to use technology that is MANDATED by the federal government... no wonder the FCC had to step in...

Last edited by jgarman : 10-26-2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Add thanks to those who have helped...
Old 10-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #561
acej80
not so "New Member"

Man, I'd call this guys supervisor, and tell her/him that you do not want this guy in your house, and they need to send a competent installer. There is no reason at all that you should have to go thru something like that to get a system installed and working properly.
acej80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #562
jgarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by acej80
Man, I'd call this guys supervisor, and tell her/him that you do not want this guy in your house, and they need to send a competent installer. There is no reason at all that you should have to go thru something like that to get a system installed and working properly.
He claims that he was on the phone with his supervisor three times already, and the supervisor claims the same thing: FiOS no worky with TiVO... so I don't trust him to give me a good number for his supervisor. I thought about calling Verizon FiOS support, but 1) last time I called I gave up after being on hold for 70 minutes, and 2) I had to practically pull teeth when ordering the CableCards in the first place. I don't see them being all that supportive.... perhaps it's time to vote with my feet, and I haven't even had the service for more than an hour at this point.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:01 PM   #563
jgarman

Well, my story does have a happy ending. Once I finally got the FiOS tech back in my house with two cablecards, it all worked on the first try. Excellent! It took all of about 20 minutes, and that's mostly because he insisted on checking the numbers on the cards about five times each and inserting/removing the cards from the TiVO several times to boot. But once he gave the numbers to the Verizon guy on the phone who activates the CableCards (who by the way was very knowledgeable about Series 3 TiVOs) it all worked without a hitch.

Thanks again to everyone. I cannot believe the hassle that he put me through, but in the end he actually admitted that he would be happy to install CableCards into more TiVOs! TiVO: 1 FiOS: well... so far i'm happy...
Old 10-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #564
21364guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarman
Well, my story does have a happy ending. Once I finally got the FiOS tech back in my house with two cablecards, it all worked on the first try. Excellent! It took all of about 20 minutes, and that's mostly because he insisted on checking the numbers on the cards about five times each and inserting/removing the cards from the TiVO several times to boot. But once he gave the numbers to the Verizon guy on the phone who activates the CableCards (who by the way was very knowledgeable about Series 3 TiVOs) it all worked without a hitch.

Thanks again to everyone. I cannot believe the hassle that he put me through, but in the end he actually admitted that he would be happy to install CableCards into more TiVOs! TiVO: 1 FiOS: well... so far i'm happy...
Glad it worked for you. I'm sitting here waiting for my verizon tech to show (3-7PM they say) and hoping it will be nothing like the hassle you experienced.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:03 PM   #565
21364guy

Hmmm... so here's a summary of my attempt to get cablecard from verizon:

1. Call on Monday, CSR offers me a "self-install" for $4.99.
2. Wife calls on Thursday to check the status of our order and is told no "self-install" option is possible. They call her back and offer an install on Friday, 3-7PM
3. I leave the office early on Friday... at 6:30 I call them to find out if they're coming. Nope, and they never contacted me to reschedule. The CSR says he's putting this all on our ticket and supervisor should call to see what they can do for us.

I think TiVo could be in trouble with their cablecard strategy if it's this much trouble for everyone to actually get service (i.e. due to the ineptitude of the service providers). So at this point I have no idea when we'll get digital and HD service
Old 10-28-2007, 10:38 AM   #566
bdraw

The strategy has to work it's the only option they have, we just have to keep the FCC informed of the cable co's feet dragging.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #567
gages97

I have read that you can add a Motorola NIM100 box in line with the coax cable from the splitter and run Ethernet over MOCA.

This would be an easy eay of getting a 100Mb/s connection to each Tivo without having to run a cable.

Anyone done this?
gages97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:05 PM   #568
21364guy

So I've had two techs at my house for over three hours now. Both s-cards are in the TiVo and they don't work. They are motorola cards and in conditional access we see:

connected: yes
enabledbyCP: no
Auth: unknown
Host Validation: Unknown 00

They've been on the phone having their techs enable the cards several times, but nothing much happens. We have seen the error 161-4 a few times. Any ideas on where to go???
Old 10-29-2007, 03:17 PM   #569
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gages97
I have read that you can add a Motorola NIM100 box in line with the coax cable from the splitter and run Ethernet over MOCA.

This would be an easy eay of getting a 100Mb/s connection to each Tivo without having to run a cable.

Anyone done this?
Yes. I've had that setup for awhile.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #570
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

161-4 is a "good" error. You'll often get it on good setups, indicating that communication exists with the CableCard, but that you don't yet have full communication to the head end. You can ignore it - it's positive in that it indicates the cablecard is not dead, like 161-1 would. Don't worry about Host Validation yet, for some folks (like me) it remains "Unknown" (it indicates proper pairing and some franchises don't do that). The enabledbyCP should be "yes", and Auth should be something else (I've forgotten).