Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #511
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw
No, there will be MRV in November, but that will require a TiVo at every TV.
Why wouldn't you have a TiVo at every TV? No point in having a TV without a TiVo connected to it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #512
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt
Why wouldn't you have a TiVo at every TV? No point in having a TV without a TiVo connected to it.
Wait... a TV will work without a TiVo attached to it?

I have not tried that since... um... the fall of 2000.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:06 AM   #513
denm316

Getting Cable Cards this weekend

Hello,

I just got my Series 3 and Verizon is coming out to install the Cable Cards on Saturday morning. Is there anything I should know that can help me out or make the porcess a little easier.

Anyone using a Series 3 in the Bucks County area of PA.

Thanks,
-Dennis
denm316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:33 AM   #514
bdraw

Yes, go ahead and run guided setup before they get there.
Then make sure they use slot 1 first.
They will need 4 numbers to enter into their computer.
One is on the back of the card and the other three show up under the CableCARD menu (can't remember which menu item, but I think it's the top one).
After they activate the card there will be an error, I believe it's 161-4, but read through this thread to be sure.
It might take some time for them to activate, don't assume the card is bad unless you get an error. Take that error number and search this thread to see if anyone else has gotten it before.

Honestly, there have been a few issues, so to be on the safe side it'll be worth your while to read this entire thread.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:33 AM   #515
andrews777

You may get a bunch of those errors. I did, but things have been working fine for weeks after everything was setup.

Brad
andrews777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #516
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw
Yes, go ahead and run guided setup before they get there.
Then make sure they use slot 1 first.
They will need 4 numbers to enter into their computer.
One is on the back of the card and the other three show up under the CableCARD menu (can't remember which menu item, but I think it's the top one).
After they activate the card there will be an error, I believe it's 161-4, but read through this thread to be sure.
It might take some time for them to activate, don't assume the card is bad unless you get an error. Take that error number and search this thread to see if anyone else has gotten it before.

Honestly, there have been a few issues, so to be on the safe side it'll be worth your while to read this entire thread.
I second this motion -- there are useful posts buried in the thread that will help you out when the technician arrives.
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #517
cxpistol

Still pixelating in Plano, TX

verizon techs have been out 3 times now trying to correct my pixelation problem on channels 825 thru 834. still no luck, but they seem to be intent on fixing this. I know it's not the Tivo series 3 because I have a cable card directly in a 32" Sony and it does the same thing. I'll send another post when this gets fixed.
cxpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #518
gages97

I am currently a DirectTV user with the HR10 unit.

I have FIOS for internet and phone. 3 questions:

1. For the FIOS TV what additional cables need to be run from the ONT to inside the house? Is this coax cable and if so how many?

2. Once in the house, how does the distribution work? Does the cable from the ONT come into some type of splitter/multiswitch and how many ports does the splitter/multiswitch have?

3. I assume that the cable between the splitter/multiswitch is coax. If I am going to use 2 cablecards in the Tivo, I assume I need 2 coax cables (like I do now for the 2 DirectTV tuners)

Thx,

Steve
gages97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #519
acvthree

1. Is your internet Ethernet now? There will also need to be one coax from the ONT.

2. The coax would go to a splitter. My installer chose the splitter to match the decibal level of the output from the ONT (ONTs have a hot output and some attenuation is sometimes needed). For my installation, that was an 8 way splitter even though four of the outputs are terminated.

3. No. Just one cable to the HDTivo. For my installation I have one coax cable going to my Series 3, one cable to the Actiontec router (needed for some of the TV functions) and one cable to a standard STB is a secondary room. You will also need to run an Ethernet to the HDTivo or use WiFi (the preference is Ethernet).
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #520
Raphael

1. For the FIOS TV what additional cables need to be run from the ONT to inside the house? Is this coax cable and if so how many?
If you already have FIOS Internet then no new cables are needed. The do hook some sort of box up to an ethernet connection to help control FIOS-OnDemand.

2. Once in the house, how does the distribution work? Does the cable from the ONT come into some type of splitter/multiswitch and how many ports does the splitter/multiswitch have?
They just connect the ONT to your existing TV distribution cables. So they'll disconnect the coax running from DTV and connect it to the ONT.

3. I assume that the cable between the splitter/multiswitch is coax. If I am going to use 2 cablecards in the Tivo, I assume I need 2 coax cables (like I do now for the 2 DirectTV tuners)
Just need one coax into the TIVO. The 2 Cablecards can split the signal.
Raphael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #521
gages97

Raphael,

Currently there is ethernet, phone, and the ups cabels coming from the ONT. I don't need anything else coming from the outside for TV?

DirecTV uses a multiswitch which is not a simple spliier/amplifier, sounds like FIOS needs a simple cable distribution spliter.

You sure about #3?

Steve
Old 10-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #522
mamosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael

If you already have FIOS Internet then no new cables are needed. The do hook some sort of box up to an ethernet connection to help control FIOS-OnDemand. Depends on the ont. Some ont's are configured with internet running over cat 5 to the router then you still have the coax for the video. Some onts are running the video and cat 5 over coax.

They just connect the ONT to your existing TV distribution cables. So they'll disconnect the coax running from DTV and connect it to the ONT. Fios doesnt need the the distribution block that satellite providers need. One coax from ont to a splitter that feeds all the rooms.

Just need one coax into the TIVO. The 2 Cablecards can split the signal.
2 Cable cards, one coax cable. If you have the actiontec router and only a coax cable for your internet currently if you get fios tv to replace direct tv the same coax gets connected to the splitter that feeds all the rooms. In most instances the satellite distribution block get replaced with a splitter.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #523
gages97

Right now I have Cat5 from the ONT into the ActionTec router. Sounds like I will need to run a single coax from the ONT to the inside of the house.

In this case, does the Coax replace the Cat5?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #524
acvthree

No. The coax does not replace the Cat5. It could be done that way, but you should tell the installer not to do that.

You will have two cables from the ONT, one Ethernet and one CoAx.

The Coax is then split to go to the various TVs, HDTivos and one connection back to the Actiontec.

The actiontec will send a message back to the headend over the Ethernet for VOD requests.

Al
Old 10-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #525
gages97

Got it.

So Coax from ONT to a splitter in the house with a connection to ActionTec coax port and then the Tivo's with the cablecards?

What programming has to happen on the AxtionTec?

Currently I have 2 x coax from my wiring panels to each room. Does each cablecard take a separate coax feed?
Old 10-08-2007, 05:29 AM   #526
mamosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvthree
No. The coax does not replace the Cat5. It could be done that way, but you should tell the installer not to do that.

You will have two cables from the ONT, one Ethernet and one CoAx.

The Coax is then split to go to the various TVs, HDTivos and one connection back to the Actiontec.

The actiontec will send a message back to the headend over the Ethernet for VOD requests.

Al
It depends on the ont. Newer ont's are configured and provisioned for moca. which means your internet and tv signal are running over the coax to the ont. Yes you can request the ethernet port be turned on for data but then you have to convince the field tech to run the cat 5 for you and if its not on the order he has every right to say no. Then you have to speak with billing and ask for a data jack install which there is a charge for and at that point they will make the ethernet port active. Besides, coax has more bandwidth than ethernet and me personally I would rather deal with one less wire and like to have the ability to simply move the router from coax outlet to another when I re-arrange furniture.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:31 AM   #527
mamosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by gages97
Got it.

So Coax from ONT to a splitter in the house with a connection to ActionTec coax port and then the Tivo's with the cablecards?

Currently I have 2 x coax from my wiring panels to each room. Does each cablecard take a separate coax feed?
Fios doesnt use rf return like cable companies do. The stb's send the request over ip traffic thru the coax. You dont have to 'program' the Actiontec. It is good to go out of the box. Your tivo with two cable cards needs only one coax cable. period.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:45 AM   #528
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamosley
It depends on the ont. Newer ont's are configured and provisioned for moca. ...
This is how my friend's install was done (private house). I wonder how they will be doing the install in my co-op? Currently they are discussing molding for the install...

If they put an ONT, that handles more than one "household", in the hallway, next to the cable boxes, they could install power outlets, run coax to each apt, and we would get internet and TV via coax. Phone would remain on the already installed POTS lines.

The scenario above would be the easiest setup for the residents, as no one in the building has electricity in the closet where the POTS lines run from the riser in the meter room. This closet is probably where they would mount the ONT as they could just tap into the in-wall phone lines. I don't see anyone installing an outlet in the closet, and running an extension cord is not a viable option.

I wonder what they will do
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:08 AM   #529
acvthree

Quote:
It depends on the ont. Newer ont's are configured and provisioned for moca. which means your internet and tv signal are running over the coax to the ont. Yes you can request the ethernet port be turned on for data but then you have to convince the field tech to run the cat 5 for you and if its not on the order he has every right to say no. Then you have to speak with billing and ask for a data jack install which there is a charge for and at that point they will make the ethernet port active. Besides, coax has more bandwidth than ethernet and me personally I would rather deal with one less wire and like to have the ability to simply move the router from coax outlet to another when I re-arrange furniture.

Yes, but he currently has Ethernet.

There have been long discussions on this. There is some minor latency benefit to having both Ethernet and Coax.

Either way, the installer would use the existing Ethernet if requested.

Al
Old 10-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #530
acvthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by gages97
Got it.

Unless you have specifically turned off the coax networking, no changes would be needed on the Actiontec.

You only need one coax to the HDTivo. The HDTivo splits the signal to both tuners internally. The cablecards are just for decyption on each tuner. If you are lucky and get the M-card (multi-stream card) you will only need one card.

Al
Old 10-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #531
mamosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS
This is how my friend's install was done (private house). I wonder how they will be doing the install in my co-op? Currently they are discussing molding for the install...

If they put an ONT, that handles more than one "household", in the hallway, next to the cable boxes, they could install power outlets, run coax to each apt, and we would get internet and TV via coax. Phone would remain on the already installed POTS lines.

The scenario above would be the easiest setup for the residents, as no one in the building has electricity in the closet where the POTS lines run from the riser in the meter room. This closet is probably where they would mount the ONT as they could just tap into the in-wall phone lines. I don't see anyone installing an outlet in the closet, and running an extension cord is not a viable option.

I wonder what they will do
In your type of situation there is an mdu (multiple dwelling unit) ont that goes where the main telco close is. More than likely the molding is for the coax for tv. Pots lines still connect from your dwelling to the mdu in the telco closed. More than likely the internet will be vdsl so you will have a zyxel modem connected to a phone line and the actiontec connected to that.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #532
mamosley

Quote:
Yes, but he currently has Ethernet.

There have been long discussions on this. There is some minor latency benefit to having both Ethernet and Coax.

Either way, the installer would use the existing Ethernet if requested.

Al
Depends on the field tech if he is willing to run cat5 with out the data outlet install on the order whether he will connect the internet or not (for new installs)
Old 10-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #533
acvthree

I suppose, but this is not a new order. The Ethernet (data) is already there.

Are you saying that if the data install is not on the order, that the installer will removed the existing Ethernet and install coax?

That doesn't make sense. It would be more work for the installer.

Al
Old 10-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #534
acvthree

And, then again, why would I assume anything would make sense. Sorry. Brain lock.

Al
Old 10-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #535
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Depends on the field tech if he is willing to run cat5 with out the data outlet install on the order whether he will connect the internet or not (for new installs)
Make it easy for him. Give him an ethernet jack and tell him you just need it plugged in "there". That's what I did.

The FIOS techs so far have been much better than any other tech I've seen (e.g. Comcast, DirecTV). They seem knowledgable, flexible, and they seem to care about getting things done right. (Okay, all but one, but I've had 6 out so far for various reasons, so that's a pretty good record.)

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:07 PM   #536
mamosley

Quote:
I suppose, but this is not a new order. The Ethernet (data) is already there.

Are you saying that if the data install is not on the order, that the installer will removed the existing Ethernet and install coax?

That doesn't make sense. It would be more work for the installer.

Al
No, they wont remove the existing run. Sorry I didnt explain myself. On a new install, if its set up for moca depending on the tech the wont run cat 5 just because you ask them, some will most wont. At that point is when the cx would have to call billing and ask for a data jack install if you dont want to run internet over coax.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:16 PM   #537
acvthree

Mamosley,

That is definitely consistent with what I've read and experienced.

Just as AbMagFab said, I've found the techs (and for me also with the exception of just one guy, I wonder if it was the same guy) at Verizon to be some of the best I've worked with. For me, my install was before the networking over coax change, but he looked at the cat5 wiring I had already done and seemed to be trying to do an equivalent job. I thought it was an excelent and very clean installation.

As always, mileage may vary.

Al
Old 10-08-2007, 06:00 PM   #538
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
In your type of situation there is an mdu (multiple dwelling unit) ont that goes where the main telco close is. More than likely the molding is for the coax for tv. Pots lines still connect from your dwelling to the mdu in the telco closed. More than likely the internet will be vdsl so you will have a zyxel modem connected to a phone line and the actiontec connected to that.

I have seen pictures of VDSL installations, and that is definitely one way for them to do it. The building down the block from me got this type of installation (fiber into each unit), my building is larger with about 250 units. It probably makes the most sense, financially, to use VDSL.

Last time I checked, VDSL was not as fast as the MOCA implementations. Is this still the case?

If they use VDSL, is it true that the only copper involved is from the riser in the basement to my unit?

My board is keeping everyone in the dark on the negotiations

Thanks!
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #539
bdraw

I already had a CAT5 ran from where the ONT is, but the installer refused to use it. He said they don't do it like that anymore and used a router with a coax input. It works great, but I did think it was odd, that they wouldn't use the existing cat5 cable.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #540
acvthree

Quote:
And, then again, why would I assume anything would make sense. Sorry. Brain lock.

Al

Like I said...

Al