TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-24-2007, 11:27 PM   #481
hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by naybag
I have been considering purchasing a new HD tivo to replace my S2 tivo, because I find the Verizon Fios DVR seriously lacking. But the topics in this thread give me a great deal of pause. Anyone care to lavish praise on their S3 combined with Fios experience?

If it matters, I am in the Washington Metropolitan region and my husband would have huge problems if ESPN was pixelated during Monday night football or Pardon the Interruption.
I had the Verizon DVR for about 6 months until upgrading to the Tivo HD. Painlees install even with a tech who had never seen a cable card before. I couldn't stand the remote lag or the guide data. I could put up with the Comcast DVR, but the Verizon one is a big steaming pile of crap.

Luckily I still have a lifetime Series 1 box and was eligible for MSD, otherwise I wouldn't have bought the new unit due to cost.

I haven't noticed any issues, but I haven't had the box very long and am more of a casual user. I put up with close to 5 years of pixellation problems on Comcast.... so am very tolerant.
hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 07:32 AM   #482
kpepling

I just read the following article.

If Verizon switches FiOS to completely IPTV what does that mean for us TiVo users? I know that currently we would be SOL. Would the potential SDV dongle also work for IPTV?
kpepling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #483
joysbox
Happy Happy Joy Joy

point blank - Verizon HD FIOS works with the S3.
I have it with two cable cards, no issues what so ever.
who knows what will happen in the future, but it is working for me (Northern VA)
fine.
series 2 80 hr Humax DTR-800 monthly
Series 3 cable card with lifetime

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
joysbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:56 PM   #484
bdraw

FIOS works now, why worry too much about tomorrow?

Because it's fun, so here we go. Why install the ONT and spend all the money on STBs only to replace it all in 3 years? The IPTV options existed when they started to roll out FIOS, why not go with it in the first place? IPTV is used around the world and with AT&T U-Verse. The technology was available they decided to go in another direction, I doubt that reason will change and be implemented in 3 years.
bdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #485
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraw

Because it's fun, so here we go. Why install the ONT and spend all the money on STBs only to replace it all in 3 years? The IPTV options existed when they started to roll out FIOS, why not go with it in the first place? IPTV is used around the world and with AT&T U-Verse. The technology was available they decided to go in another direction, I doubt that reason will change and be implemented in 3 years.
And remember, this is FTTH, not FTTN. They have tons of extra bandwidth on that fiber, and could easily *add* IPTV to the existing service. That way, they support both the QAM model, and the IPTV model. Just drop another box in the house, or another output from the ONT.

FIOS has by far the best infrastructure to support just about anything going forward, and more than enough bandwidth to do it (they are actually working on doubling the bandwidth as we speak, and can improve it my 1-2 orders of magnitude with existing technologies).

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #486
naybag

Quote:
Originally Posted by naybag
I have been considering purchasing a new HD tivo to replace my S2 tivo, because I find the Verizon Fios DVR seriously lacking. But the topics in this thread give me a great deal of pause. Anyone care to lavish praise on their S3 combined with Fios experience?
Although there were no glowing reviews, I have just placed an order for the HD Tivo. Sounds like other than not completely working, it's still far preferable than the Fios DVR. Last night, on the Fios DVR, all of the programming was 30 minutes behind. This meant that Chuck started taping at 8:30pm, Heroes at 9:30, and Journeyman at 10:30!!!! Luckily I had all of Heroes, but only the 2nd half of Chuck and the 1st half of Journeyman.
naybag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:12 AM   #487
DingoAce10

HELP!!! Just got my Tivo S3 yesterday...Called VZ Fios to get 2 new cablecards not knowing there might be an issue...Now I have the service manager calling me back to tell me something about the CCs having limitations? If it is just PPV, The Guide (hate that anyways) and OD I am not that worried...I have another CC running in my TV so if I need thoughs I can just switch to that input.

Please help! I hate the VZ DVR SO MUCH!!! I want tivo! Wanted to get an answer before they call me back.
DingoAce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #488
ah30k

Quote:

Easy to question the decision but lets look at the results. How many orders of magnitude more subscribers do you think Verizon has compared to AT&T. Who made the right call?

Verizon went with this technology because they could re-use much of the largely mature cable technology and design a low-risk solution that works in the near term.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:16 AM   #489
Ron Tobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoAce10
HELP!!! Just got my Tivo S3 yesterday...Called VZ Fios to get 2 new cablecards not knowing there might be an issue...Now I have the service manager calling me back to tell me something about the CCs having limitations? If it is just PPV, The Guide (hate that anyways) and OD I am not that worried...I have another CC running in my TV so if I need thoughs I can just switch to that input.

Please help! I hate the VZ DVR SO MUCH!!! I want tivo! Wanted to get an answer before they call me back.
That's it. No VOD, no PPV, no widgets or anything else that's interactive. Those are the cable card's limitations.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #490
DingoAce10

Thanks! What are the other "interactive" things that I might be missing? and are they fixing this or is that just a limitation and that is it?
Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 AM   #491
acvthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoAce10
Thanks! What are the other "interactive" things that I might be missing? and are they fixing this or is that just a limitation and that is it?

It is just a limitition. For some of the features Tivo has alternatives, like Amazon unbox instead of PPV.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #492
acvthree

Hmmmm, here is an idea.

When he calls, ask him if his DVR supports Amazon unbox. If he says no, ask him when they are going to fix that limitation.

Al
acvthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:57 AM   #493
DingoAce10

Sorry, I already talked to the tech and he said it was a false alarm and that it will work fine, but since the Cards are not made by them, they don't fully support them. But the Tivo site has troubleshooting options to get it working correctly.

Not sure what Amazon unbox is, but it sounds interesting...I will check it out.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:17 AM   #494
dallastx

Cable Card Installation

Bought an HD at Costco on Tuesday. Guided setup went fine giving me channels 1-49. Called Verizon for cable cards, the guy came yesterday (Wed). Like others have said, the cable guy new nothing about TiVo or cable cards.

The installation went smoothly anyway. TiVo displays four numbers for each cable card. The guy didn't know what fields to enter so he called a guy and gave him the numbers over the phone. It turns out that he only used the "Host" and "Data" numbers. Had to run Guided Setup again to get all the digital channels including HD and premium.

I found the HD a little slow in displaying the guide. I think it's do to displaying it in HD. The grid form of the guide is very slow.

So far I love the HD. It beats the Verizon 6416. All that's left is replacing the hard disk with a 500GB Seagate DB35-SCE.
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:42 PM   #495
JasonJ75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastx
Bought an HD at Costco on Tuesday.

So far I love the HD. It beats the Verizon 6416. All that's left is replacing the hard disk with a 500GB Seagate DB35-SCE.
Another Fios refugee here...Got my TiVo at Costco too.

My HOA signed a deal with Verizon so everyone in my neighborhood has Fios and unfortunately we all have the same ridiculously pathetic DVR. You should see the rants on our community intranet, particularly since Vz rolled out the new software.

The corrupted or missed recordings (their guide missed the first half of the Hero's premier), and general navigation stupidity has people buying TiVos left and right. When the tech (dedicated to our community) came over to my house on Tuesday he said all he does lately is install CCs in "these new TiVos."

Two of my converts came online this week...I should be getting a cut of TiVo's goodness.
JasonJ75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:57 PM   #496
JustAllie
Number crunchin'

So my neighbor just got FiOS and despite my gentle proddings, they got the Verizon DVR.

Should I wait a few weeks and then start sending her links to the TiVo.com web specials?
JustAllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #497
dallastx

I replaced the 160GB disk with a 500GB disk last Friday. Now I'm totally happy with 70 hours of HD capacity.

It will probably jinx me to say that I've had no problems so far. The cable cards work perfectly.
dallastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:23 PM   #498
brimonte

I am a verizon tech that has been installing fios for 2 years now. Today i had a trouble where a series 3 tivo tuner with dual cable cards that was pixelating and couldn't find the problem. I came to find out that there is an internal problem with the box that is allowing RF leakage and causing the problem. It mostly happens on the lower frequency HD channels, but is also known on cartoon channels and HBO. Supposedly Tivo knows about the problem and is working on it. As I find more information on this I will post it.
brimonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #499
Ron Tobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimonte
I am a verizon tech that has been installing fios for 2 years now. Today i had a trouble where a series 3 tivo tuner with dual cable cards that was pixelating and couldn't find the problem. I came to find out that there is an internal problem with the box that is allowing RF leakage and causing the problem. It mostly happens on the lower frequency HD channels, but is also known on cartoon channels and HBO. Supposedly Tivo knows about the problem and is working on it. As I find more information on this I will post it.

Thanks for your post. Would you happen to know if your customer got the latest software update? It's supposed to address pixelization and sound drop off issues, but there haven't been many postings by users who have gotten the update and reported if it helped or didn't help.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #500
wbradney

I received the Fall 9.1 software last night, and it hasn't resolved my pixellation problem, which consumes more and more channels every week, it seems.
wbradney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #501
stevieboy

I have Fios and I'm getting two CC's installed for my new HD TiVo on Thursday. Anything I should do to make the install go smooth? Also, has anyone gotten 2 CC's for the price of one because it is only one outlet? GREAT FORUM!!!

Thanks
Steve
stevieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 01:09 PM   #502
Ron Tobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieboy
Also, has anyone gotten 2 CC's for the price of one because it is only one outlet?

Thanks
Steve
Each cable card is $2.98, so you're looking at $5.96 for your two cable cards.

P.S. Send your installer my way, when finished, as they still owe me one card relative to the home visit I had this past Saturday.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:42 PM   #503
brimonte

as far as i know....he has yet to call them. and as far as our tech support is concerned, they haven't fixed it yet. anything else i hear I'll post it.
brimonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:35 AM   #504
jerich007

Hello -

I'm seriously considering picking up a Series3 from Costco... my question is: are there any options for doing something like Verizon's MultiRoom DVR setup? I'd love to use the Series3 centrally in the living room, and using another device (homebrew or otherwise) to access it from the bedroom, office, etc.

Thanks
- J
jerich007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #505
bdraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerich007
I'm seriously considering picking up a Series3 from Costco... my question is: are there any options for doing something like Verizon's MultiRoom DVR setup? I'd love to use the Series3 centrally in the living room, and using another device (homebrew or otherwise) to access it from the bedroom, office, etc.
No, there will be MRV in November, but that will require a TiVo at every TV.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #506
frombhto323

Quote:
No, there will be MRV in November, but that will require a TiVo at every TV.
Do you mean every TV that you want to utilize MRV with must have a TiVo, or every TV in the house, regardless? I plan on having 2 TiVos in my house with 2 Fios boxes at the other TVs. I hope you are not saying this won't work.
frombhto323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #507
TexasAg

Quote:
Originally Posted by frombhto323
Do you mean every TV that you want to utilize MRV with must have a TiVo, or every TV in the house, regardless? I plan on having 2 TiVos in my house with 2 Fios boxes at the other TVs. I hope you are not saying this won't work.
What are you expecting, that the Tivo boxes talk to the Verizon DVR boxes? They're completely different boxes using completely different technology to do MRV (IP vs. Moca).
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #508
bdraw

I mean every TV that has a TiVo will be able to watch content from any TiVo in the house.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:26 PM   #509
frombhto323

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAg
What are you expecting, that the Tivo boxes talk to the Verizon DVR boxes? They're completely different boxes using completely different technology to do MRV (IP vs. Moca).
No. I was just trying to verify that all TVs did not need to have Tivos in order for MRV viewing to work between those TVs that do. I asked the question because it seems obvious to me that MRV won't work on a TV that does not have a Tivo box connected to it.
frombhto323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:30 PM   #510
TexasAg

Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by frombhto323
No. I was just trying to verify that all TVs did not need to have Tivos in order for MRV viewing to work between those TVs that do. I asked the question because it seems obvious to me that MRV won't work on a TV that does not have a Tivo box connected to it.
You're right, MRV works between any two Tivos (depending on what kind they are and if they've all been updated, hopefully shortly).
TexasAg is offline   Reply With Quote