TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
msadesign

Captions gone

Another thread on missing captions? Yep.

Captions worked, beautifully, for years. And then they didn't work.

I searched and read everything posted here in the past few years to figure out what's happening with my Series3: I toggled digital, I toggled settings on the Panasonic TV; I even replaced the HDMI cable between my Series3 and my HarmonKardon AVR. I have not completely reset the Tivo, not wanting to lose settings and other stuff but that's next.

This Tivo uses a Comcast CableCard.

I'm stumped. And while I'm by no means an expert, especially compared to some of the denizens herein, I'm not technically illiterate, either. I know that when expected behavior changes on a computer or a Tivo it's because the user changed something. They do not change by themselves.

But all I do is turn it on and off, so I wondered about cables, and I wonder if perhaps Tivo did some updating in the background that I don't know about it. Slim indeed.

I don't know where to go next. Anybody have some suggestions?

msadesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #2
HerronScott

We've been using our new Roamio so haven't recorded anything new on the S3 OLEDs in quite some time but I could check a suggestion.

This is on all recordings - broadcast, cable channels (including older ones that were displaying captions in the past)?

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #3
msadesign

Hey Scott,

Yes, on everything- ANYthing coming through the Tivo whether live or recorded. Nada. And captions work just fine for anything coming from the AppleTV.

We have an older non-HD Tivo that is showing captions as expected, back in the bedroom.

I'm not completely sure on how captions work- or where they are generated, so troubleshooting is a bit of a crap shoot. If the Harmon Kardon unit is involved in decoding in anyway, it's a unit that is aging.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #4
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by msadesign View Post
Hey Scott,

Yes, on everything- ANYthing coming through the Tivo whether live or recorded. Nada. And captions work just fine for anything coming from the AppleTV.

We have an older non-HD Tivo that is showing captions as expected, back in the bedroom.

I'm not completely sure on how captions work- or where they are generated, so troubleshooting is a bit of a crap shoot. If the Harmon Kardon unit is involved in decoding in anyway, it's a unit that is aging.
Try hooking up the S3 using the component output and/or composite output.

Move the S3 to the back bedroom and the S2 to your main TV and see if captions on the S3 start working or captions on the S2 stop working.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:20 AM   #5
HerronScott

Quote:
Yes, on everything- ANYthing coming through the Tivo whether live or recorded. Nada. And captions work just fine for anything coming from the AppleTV..
I checked our S3's last night and no issues with captions on either recorded shows or live TV. When you are watching a show (live or recorded) that should have captions, what does the TiVo report when you hit Info and arrow down to CC? It should report the type of captions that the show has (DTVCC1 etc).

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
msadesign

@shw: that's exactly what I was hoping to avoid, of course! But I'll do it if other ideas don't pan out. And I should have mentioned that I did try using component cables, which had no effect; but using the composite cables required me to use a different input on the HarmonKardon, helping to isolate the issue (I don't think it's the HK).

@scott: When I scroll down to the usual spot to invoke CC, the Tivo reports that captions are ON. And the only information displayed is

Closed captions are ON
This show has closed captions.
Press SELECT to turn them OFF.

(I don't think I've ever seen anything else on that particular screen except "OFF" when you press the select button).

I use Tivo app on my iPhone to run the Tivo (broke the peanut) but don't see what difference that could make.

Michael

Last edited by msadesign; 04-12-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #7
msadesign

So I switched out the units and the bedroom unit shows captions in the living room. By elimination looks like the TiVo is responsible.

One more query- I'm wondering if the CableCard has a role?

Old 04-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
So I switched out the units and the bedroom unit shows captions in the living room. By elimination looks like the TiVo is responsible.

One more query- I'm wondering if the CableCard has a role?
Press Select to turn them off.

Then go find the menu item that says Restart TiVo and restart the TiVo--be careful not to choose any other option on that page, they change and/or delete stuff

Then go back and press select to turn them on.

Can't hurt, might help.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-13-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
msadesign

Well, looks like we've exhausted ideas- restarting is the first thing I did. I didn't do a 'reset', though, partly because it's a hassle to reestablish the settings but mostly because I didn't think it would make any difference.

Nobody else has chimed in on the question of the CableCard; in fact I'm not sure exactly where the decoding happens, but based on everything I've done it sure looks like it happens in the Tivo, which means my unit has a problem.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #10
shwru980r

Quote:
Well, looks like we've exhausted ideas- restarting is the first thing I did. I didn't do a 'reset', though, partly because it's a hassle to reestablish the settings but mostly because I didn't think it would make any difference.

Nobody else has chimed in on the question of the CableCard; in fact I'm not sure exactly where the decoding happens, but based on everything I've done it sure looks like it happens in the Tivo, which means my unit has a problem.
Rerun guided setup to include the OTA channels and hook up an antenna and see if captions work.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:49 PM   #11
msadesign

Until I have a better idea of exactly HOW closed captioning actually works, I'm thinking that a new setup is an hour of my life that might be wasted.

OTOH it's about all I have left to do.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #12
lpwcomp

What are your TiVo Closed Captioning settings?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote