TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
peakay

Value of Series 3 w/Lifetime in Boot Loop

hey guys,

I've never had a Tivo problem in over 15 years of being a customer, but out main Series 3 just got the green screen and has been stuck in a boot loop bummer.

I realize that a hard drive is probably all it needs, but I may go Roamio.

What is a "boot looped" series 3 with Lifetime worth vs one that is repaired? Just curious on your take and whether its worth it to repair it first before selling.

All opinions welcomed. Thanks!

peakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
jrtroo
User

Its probably the power supply, with that model. But could well be the hard drive.

I would sell as parts, eg the motherboard.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
peakay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Its probably the power supply, with that model. But could well be the hard drive.

I would sell as parts, eg the motherboard.
Thanks. if I sell as-is, I'm not looking to futz with taking it apart. any idea how much it is worth if I just sell the whole box as-is?

Old 09-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #4
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Ever watch those house-flipping programs on HGTV? A home that is all renovated sells for much more than the original cost plus the renovation cost. People pay for not having the bother and uncertainty of doing the renovations.

I think that principle will apply for most potential TiVo buyers although there are a few for whom upgrading the HDD or fixing the power supply is so easy they will buy your boot-looping TiVo -- at a heavily discounted price compared to the $150 that a functioning lifetime S3 will bring.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
peakay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Ever watch those house-flipping programs on HGTV? A home that is all renovated sells for much more than the original cost plus the renovation cost. People pay for not having the bother and uncertainty of doing the renovations.

I think that principle will apply for most potential TiVo buyers although there are a few for whom upgrading the HDD or fixing the power supply is so easy they will buy your boot-looping TiVo -- at a heavily discounted price compared to the $150 that a functioning lifetime S3 will bring.
OK then, what's the cheapest and easiest way to fix this thing? I do not have PC any longer that I can hook drives up to and image them, etc..

And back to the original question - what are they worth in this state if I don't do a thing to it?

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakay View Post
Thanks. if I sell as-is, I'm not looking to futz with taking it apart. any idea how much it is worth if I just sell the whole box as-is?
at most $50 IMNSHO

Old 09-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
OK then, what's the cheapest and easiest way to fix this thing? I do not have PC any longer that I can hook drives up to and image them, etc..

And back to the original question - what are they worth in this state if I don't do a thing to it?

Thanks!
"cheap" and "easy" are in the eyes of the beholder. Given my impression of your situation I don't think there is any fix up solution you would like. Suggest you put it on eBay and take the highest bid. I suspect dianebrat's estimate of $50 is as good as any but, who knows, someone may prize the lifetime sub enough to pay more.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:42 PM   #8
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
"cheap" and "easy" are in the eyes of the beholder. Given my impression of your situation I don't think there is any fix up solution you would like. Suggest you put it on eBay and take the highest bid. I suspect dianebrat's estimate of $50 is as good as any but, who knows, someone may prize the lifetime sub enough to pay more.
Considering the average S3 with lifetime has been going for around $150 I can't see more than $50 shipping included being viable for a broken "might or might not be able to be fixed" S3, slight premium if it's an OLED original S3 because of the coolness factor even though it needs 2 CableCARDS.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:05 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
hey guys,

I've never had a Tivo problem in over 15 years of being a customer, but out main Series 3 just got the green screen and has been stuck in a boot loop bummer.

I realize that a hard drive is probably all it needs, but I may go Roamio.

What is a "boot looped" series 3 with Lifetime worth vs one that is repaired? Just curious on your take and whether its worth it to repair it first before selling.

All opinions welcomed. Thanks!

If it were the original Series 3, the TCD648250, the one with the clock display on the front, the problem would almost certainly be the power supply or hard drive or both, and at your asking price I'd be on it like a duck on a June bug.

But yours is one of the later S3s, and with them the very real possibility that it's the motherboard at fault makes your unit a much less attractive gamble.

I'm assuming the Welcome screen comes up. Does it stay on the screen for at least 60 seconds before it reboots?

Does the 2nd screen, the "Just a few more minutes" one, show at all before it reboots?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:24 PM   #10
peakay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I'm assuming the Welcome screen comes up. Does it stay on the screen for at least 60 seconds before it reboots?

Does the 2nd screen, the "Just a few more minutes" one, show at all before it reboots?
yes and yes. It just failed the overnight test on kickstarter command 54, so I'm feeling pretty certain its the drive.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:26 PM   #11
unitron

Quote:
yes and yes. It just failed the overnight test on kickstarter command 54, so I'm feeling pretty certain its the drive.
Okay, so it definitely shows the second screen (Just a few more minutes) for at least a moment before it reboots?

If so, then it can at least communicate with the drive (first screen is on the motherboard on a chip somewhere, second screen is on the drive--if you disconnected the drive it'd put up the first screen and leave it there forever)

If it allows you to run a Kick Start, then the motherboard is probably okay for now, and perhaps the power supply as well, but I don't guarantee sight unseen diagnoses, so that's just my best guess based on the info I have so far.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #12
jeremy_lauer

What ever happed with this unit?

(I'm just trying to get to 10 posts so I can send private messages)

jeremy_lauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #13
mcf57

I just sold one of these s3 OLED on Craigslist for about $120. It was working and I was sad to let it go as these are still my favorite of all the tivo. Comcast stopped supporting them in my area. Otherwise, I probably would have kept it. Oh well.

mcf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #14
randywalters
AVS Old Timer

My S3 recently got stuck in the dreaded Error S03 Guided Setup Loop after i replaced the power supply so i finally gave up on it, and returned the power supply to Weaknees for a refund. It was working great with Antenna after i replaced my bad power supply, but when i later re-activated my CableCards i got stuck in that damn Guided Setup Loop.

I've been watching several working S3s with Lifetime on Ebay but they are only going for around a hundred bucks.

I wonder what my Lifetime S3 carcass is worth with no power supply?

I presume someone with a good non-Lifetime'd S3 would be able to just move his good hard drive and good power supply to my dead unit and use my Lifetime service?

Premiere 2TB, TWC Arris DCX3600 DVR, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, Sony 55W800B, URC MX-890 Remote, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR

Last edited by randywalters; 05-14-2016 at 12:48 PM.
randywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:44 PM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywalters View Post
My S3 recently got stuck in the dreaded Error S03 Guided Setup Loop after i replaced the power supply so i finally gave up on it, and returned the power supply to Weaknees for a refund. It was working great with Antenna after i replaced my bad power supply, but when i later re-activated my CableCards i got stuck in that damn Guided Setup Loop.

I've been watching several working S3s with Lifetime on Ebay but they are only going for around a hundred bucks.

I presume someone with a good non-Lifetime'd S3 would be able to just move his good hard drive and good power supply to my dead unit and use my Lifetime service?
Your target consumer group in this case is a somewhat limited one--people who know what they'd be getting into and how to go about fixing it.

I'd be happy to pay the cost of shipping for you to send it to me, but I recently discovered the cost of shipping from West Coast to East Coast has increased a great deal in the last year or two since the last time I had occasion to pay it, so I wouldn't be willing to pay very much at all on top of that, and if others feel the same your target demographic just shrank geographically as well.

Do you still have the "bad" power supply?

Old 05-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #16
shwru980r

Quote:

Did you ever try a new hard drive?

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 12:14 PM   #17
randywalters
AVS Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
Did you ever try a new hard drive?
That would have fixed it but the cost of both a new power supply and a new hard drive just wasn't worth it to me since i rarely ever used the S3 since adding the Premiere to my setup last year, so i decided to give up on the S3. Yesterday i replaced the S3 and my old TWC 2-tuner Cisco DVR with a shiny new Arris DCX3600 6-tuner DVR which greatly simplifies my setup, adds 2 more tuners, and will reliably tune my cable programming (my Tuning Adapters randomly stop tuning and my Tivos end up missing recordings). My old Cisco never missed a recording, so i'm hoping this new Arris will be just as reliable.

I had upgraded the S3 to a 500GB hard drive after the original hard drive died a few months after the Tivo warranty expired, and now this 500GB drive went bad a few months after it's 5-year warranty expired.

Premiere 2TB, TWC Arris DCX3600 DVR, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, Sony 55W800B, URC MX-890 Remote, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR
randywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:40 PM   #18
unitron

Quote:
That would have fixed it but the cost of both a new power supply and a new hard drive just wasn't worth it to me since i rarely ever used the S3 since adding the Premiere to my setup last year, so i decided to give up on the S3. Yesterday i replaced the S3 and my old TWC 2-tuner Cisco DVR with a shiny new Arris DCX3600 6-tuner DVR which greatly simplifies my setup, adds 2 more tuners, and will reliably tune my cable programming (my Tuning Adapters randomly stop tuning and my Tivos end up missing recordings). My old Cisco never missed a recording, so i'm hoping this new Arris will be just as reliable.

I had upgraded the S3 to a 500GB hard drive after the original hard drive died a few months after the Tivo warranty expired, and now this 500GB drive went bad a few months after it's 5-year warranty expired.

You have PM